New Exhaust Tips being installed Thursday

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2006, 05:16 PM
Unemployed or retired?

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New Exhaust Tips being installed Thursday

Went in for the XM, OnStar, and Transmission update.
Dealer also agreed to install new, longer, exhaust tips to keep the car clean.
Told me they will be no charge under warranty.
I have 2 part numbers shown:
18310-sja-a01
18320-sja-a01
Old 03-06-2006, 05:32 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by Rich in NC
18310-sja-a01
18320-sja-a01
The new exhaust tips aren't any longer, they're just made differently inside. The 05's are sunk in to where you can't see the inner hole as easily and the new 06 tips are nearly flush with the end of the tip. I seriously doubt it will make any difference from what I can tell by looking at them but who knows. They must have changed them for some reason I guess.
Old 03-06-2006, 05:50 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by stingerbtry
The new exhaust tips aren't any longer, they're just made differently inside. The 05's are sunk in to where you can't see the inner hole as easily and the new 06 tips are nearly flush with the end of the tip. I seriously doubt it will make any difference from what I can tell by looking at them but who knows. They must have changed them for some reason I guess.
If you can post a pic after you get them....
Old 03-07-2006, 10:53 AM
Instructor

18310-sja-a01
18320-sja-a01
I have called the dealer and they ordered new exhaust tips for my 05 RL as well. They will be changing them under warranty as well.
Old 03-07-2006, 12:24 PM
Unemployed or retired?

Originally Posted by hothonda
If you can post a pic after you get them....

Will do.
Old 03-08-2006, 12:11 AM
goodbye RL for now...

Originally Posted by andrewgg2
I have called the dealer and they ordered new exhaust tips for my 05 RL as well. They will be changing them under warranty as well.
How easy was it to talk to them into changing them out? I'm waiting for a response. I'm crossing my fingers! They might as well make this a TSB. The dirt is just terrible! It destroys the car within two days of heaving driving!
Old 03-08-2006, 12:50 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by tyrael
How easy was it to talk to them into changing them out?
I mentioned it to my salesman who immediately talked to the service manager who then immediately approved the replacement and ordered the parts for me. I'm having them put on next week sometime. I figure that they must have changed them for a reason so I'd better go ahead and get them switched out. We'll see how they work compared to the current 05 tips.
Old 03-08-2006, 04:22 PM
Instructor

How easy was it to talk to them into changing them out? I'm waiting for a response. I'm crossing my fingers! They might as well make this a TSB. The dirt is just terrible! It destroys the car within two days of heaving driving!
Actually, I have emailed them asking about TSB for it. They responded back saying that they have ordered new tips under my vin. They will call me when they get it?
Old 03-11-2006, 01:16 PM
Instructor

What exactly is the problem. Is this happening on the '06 model or just the '05 models?
Old 03-11-2006, 02:56 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by AltecBX
What exactly is the problem. Is this happening on the '06 model or just the '05 models?
Just the 05's, the 06's have the new "upgraded" exhaust tips. Apparently something with the way the 05 tips are made cause more than normal amounts of exhaust "soot" to build up on the bumper whereas the 06 tips have been redesigned to fix this apparently. When I saw them at the dealership I couldn't tell any difference with the tips at all as far as how far they stick out, shape etc but they are different inside. The 06 tips are flush where the 05's are sunk in on the inside. I guess this may be enough to push the gases far enough out that they don't allow the soot to collect on the bumper but I will know once they are installed next week.
Old 03-11-2006, 05:36 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Old 03-11-2006, 08:39 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by vp911
VP911,

I do not think that this threat is worthless!!!!! It lets the owners of 05's know that they should ask for new exhaust tips, since formal TSB is not available! The pictures will not tell you anything, since both tips look the same! Read above, before you post!!!! !! Pelase........

One more nonsense like this, and SOOPA will remove your Moderator rights. Since you have gotten your new car you are not helping this forum anymore!

CGTSX2004 or Michael Wan please delete his post!
Old 03-11-2006, 08:44 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I will be happy to delete your post andrewgg2.
Old 03-14-2006, 10:48 AM
Unemployed or retired?

Will do.
Oriiginal tip:

New tip:

Same protrusion depth in relation to the car.
But a much changed interior of the tip itself.
Old 03-14-2006, 04:45 PM
Pro

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
cool. how do they change it by the way? do they take off the whole muffler and then unscrew the tip, or they unscrew the tip without touching anything else?
Old 03-14-2006, 04:52 PM
Unemployed or retired?

Originally Posted by sleepinxlionhart
cool. how do they change it by the way? do they take off the whole muffler and then unscrew the tip, or they unscrew the tip without touching anything else?

I wasn't back in the shop and I didn't think to ask. It took about 10 minutes so I would guess it's just an end point attachment.
Old 03-14-2006, 05:21 PM
goodbye RL for now...

alright...so now I have to convince the dealership that others are doing it. has anyone else had luck with having this service done?
Old 03-14-2006, 06:45 PM
bkw
Death to Dave Marek.

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I'd wager that the new design redirects the flow of the exhaust (probably causing more back pressure) away from the bumper.

The exhaust tips are held in place by a screw or two. All you have to do is loosen them and then pull the tip off.
Old 03-14-2006, 07:41 PM
Unemployed or retired?

Originally Posted by bkw
I'd wager that the new design redirects the flow of the exhaust (probably causing more back pressure) away from the bumper.

The exhaust tips are held in place by a screw or two. All you have to do is loosen them and then pull the tip off.

I can't imagine there would be measurable difference in back pressure. There doesn't seem to be a discernable difference in the diameter of the passage way.
Old 03-14-2006, 09:11 PM
Black

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
alright...so now I have to convince the dealership that others are doing it. has anyone else had luck with having this service done?
My dealer in Atlanta ordered the part(s) without question.
Old 03-14-2006, 09:45 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by lindros2
My dealer in Atlanta ordered the part(s) without question.

Same here, the dealer ordered without any questions. What sucks is that we should have a TSB, but Acura thinks it is not necessary. Since they have redesigned this part for 2006, it is clear to me that they have confirmed indirectly that 2005 has “defective” tips. So, what is up Acura with the TSB, this is how you treat your best customers that buy your flagship?
Old 03-14-2006, 11:01 PM
'06 RL

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Same here, the dealer ordered without any questions. What sucks is that we should have a TSB, but Acura thinks it is not necessary. Since they have redesigned this part for 2006, it is clear to me that they have confirmed indirectly that 2005 has “defective” tips. So, what is up Acura with the TSB, this is how you treat your best customers that buy your flagship?
Your dealer ordered the part without question -- so what's your beef about how the customers are treated?

Old 03-14-2006, 11:10 PM
Cruisin'

Really ...they do not realize that they are hurting themselves in the long run ...and that is what counts. They should just change them when a customer comes in for service. The good will it would give would sell the customer on what his next car would be.
I would not think of buying a different car if things like that were taken car of. I would not even consider , for example, buying a Lexus as my next car, if Acura treated me that way! The problem is they do not and because of that I would not buy Acura another unless they mend their ways!
Old 03-15-2006, 01:42 AM
Instructor

I know is the new SAE rating, but you think that tip has something to do with the 300HP to 290HP? That tip looks a lot narrower inside.
Old 03-15-2006, 04:52 AM
'06 RL

Originally Posted by AltecBX
I know is the new SAE rating, but you think that tip has something to do with the 300HP to 290HP? That tip looks a lot narrower inside.
Yeah, that's the ticket. It's the new exhaust tips.

Perhaps if you put a set of these on you'll get at least 40 more HP:

Slap some "Type-R" stickers on there, and it'll go even FASTER!

Old 03-15-2006, 06:10 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by jftjr
Your dealer ordered the part without question -- so what's your beef about how the customers are treated?

If it was not for this forum, I would not even know that new tips are available. Acura would not tell you! Sure the dealer ordered the part, since I have asked him to do so. But what happens to people that do not even know that this is an option?
This is my point.
Old 03-15-2006, 06:23 AM
Unemployed or retired?

If it was not for this forum, I would not even know that new tips are available. Acura would not tell you! Sure the dealer ordered the part, since I have asked him to do so. But what happens to people that do not even know that this is an option?
This is my point.
Really? As far as I know anybody that complained about the soot on the back bumper is going to get the part.
Old 03-15-2006, 07:05 AM
Instructor

Really? As far as I know anybody that complained about the soot on the back bumper is going to get the part.
Again, the point is that we should not be complaining to our service departments; if something is "defective" it should be fixed by a TSB release at a next service. (Especially since Acura is aware of this problem) Also some people might not be aware of this issue. If you have a Black or dark color car, the spots can be mistaken for something else. See my point?
Old 03-15-2006, 07:24 AM
'06 RL

Again, the point is that we should not be complaining to our service departments; if something is "defective" it should be fixed by a TSB release at a next service. (Especially since Acura is aware of this problem) Also some people might not be aware of this issue. If you have a Black or dark color car, the spots can be mistaken for something else. See my point?
I have a Lakeshore Silver RL. Never had any issues with soot or spotting. Do I need my exhaust tips replaced? No. Why do I need a TSB?

Frankly, for something that's a purely cosmetic issue, the fact that they're doing anything at all about it is pretty exceptional. Further, anyone who complains about it gets it fixed right away at no cost.... I think that qualifies as excellent customer service.
Old 03-15-2006, 07:37 AM
Black

Frankly, for something that's a purely cosmetic issue, the fact that they're doing anything at all about it is pretty exceptional.
I'd push back on this comment.

It's not "purely cosmetic" - the soot is STAINING my bumper. It's impossible to clean (you can still see some residue in the pictures if you look closely).

And this relates back to another thread on "what's the lowest cost for an RL ?" I get things fixed quickly without question because I'm fair to my dealer, and they're fair to me. It's quid pro quo.
Old 03-15-2006, 08:28 AM
'06 RL

I'd push back on this comment.

It's not "purely cosmetic" - the soot is STAINING my bumper. It's impossible to clean (you can still see some residue in the pictures if you look closely).

And this relates back to another thread on "what's the lowest cost for an RL ?" I get things fixed quickly without question because I'm fair to my dealer, and they're fair to me. It's quid pro quo.
A "stain" sounds cosmetic to me. Unless you can show me how a stain on your bumper interferes with the performance, safety, or operation of your car.

Factor in the cost of your exhaust tips for the amount you're overpaying for your car... you can keep feeling good about being "fair" to someone whose job it is to get as much money out of you as possible, but the fact is, it's clearly being replaced upon request for anyone.... and it's not because they were nice to the salesman.
Old 03-15-2006, 09:09 AM
bkw
Death to Dave Marek.

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Looking closer, these tips look a lot like the 2004+ AP2 S2000's. I wonder if theyre one and the same.
Old 03-15-2006, 09:19 AM
Instructor

I have a Lakeshore Silver RL. Never had any issues with soot or spotting. Do I need my exhaust tips replaced? No. Why do I need a TSB?

Frankly, for something that's a purely cosmetic issue, the fact that they're doing anything at all about it is pretty exceptional. Further, anyone who complains about it gets it fixed right away at no cost.... I think that qualifies as excellent customer service.
Cosmetic? I do not think so. If you keep getting those pots from your hot exhaust on your car for period of time, you will eventually have paint discoloration guarantee! Do not come back and complain!
Old 03-15-2006, 09:24 AM
'06 RL

Cosmetic? I do not think so. If you keep getting those pots from your hot exhaust on your car for period of time, you will eventually have paint discoloration guarantee! Do not come back and complain!
Again... how is paint discoloration not cosmetic?

I'm not saying it's not a problem, I'm saying it's just about the way your bumper looks. Period. It's nothing to do with the performance, safety, or operation of the car.

They're taking care of anyone who asks about the problem. What more could you want?

I mean, compare it to GM, who for years and years had issues with clearcoat being destroyed by acid rain in the Northeast. They did NOTHING to fix it -- just said "hey, it's environmental, it's cosmetic, it's not our fault the paint is crappy, too bad."
Old 03-15-2006, 10:14 AM
Black

I mean, compare it to GM, who for years and years had issues with clearcoat being destroyed by acid rain in the Northeast. They did NOTHING to fix it -- just said "hey, it's environmental, it's cosmetic, it's not our fault the paint is crappy, too bad."
There are two facts you're missing here:

1. Acid rain is an EXTERNAL factor. That is - GM can't control the rain.

2. The staining of the car is being caused -BY- the design of the exhaust. Acura -CAN- control this.

The only similar items I can draw from personal experience were both remedied by manufacturers - discolored door on my Audi (from the factory) and paint chipping on my TL where the front bumper met the quarter panel. Both were controllable by the manufacturer.
Old 03-15-2006, 10:27 AM
'06 RL

There are two facts you're missing here:

1. Acid rain is an EXTERNAL factor. That is - GM can't control the rain.

2. The staining of the car is being caused -BY- the design of the exhaust. Acura -CAN- control this.

The only similar items I can draw from personal experience were both remedied by manufacturers - discolored door on my Audi (from the factory) and paint chipping on my TL where the front bumper met the quarter panel. Both were controllable by the manufacturer.
GM's clearcoat was defective... they were blaming the acid rain, but really, it was the clearcoat formulation.

But the point you're missing is -- even if it's in their control, Acura *is* fixing this. Again and again, I'll just keep asking -- tell me what they're doing wrong if Acura is fixing it for anyone who asks?
Old 03-15-2006, 10:55 AM
Racer

Yeah, that's the ticket. It's the new exhaust tips.

Perhaps if you put a set of these on you'll get at least 40 more HP:

Slap some "Type-R" stickers on there, and it'll go even FASTER!

Group buy anyone?
Old 03-15-2006, 03:22 PM
Black

But the point you're missing is -- even if it's in their control, Acura *is* fixing this. Again and again, I'll just keep asking -- tell me what they're doing wrong if Acura is fixing it for anyone who asks?
Acura is doing nothing wrong - it's great that they did agree to fix it after a couple of us explained there was a solution to a non-well known problem (obviously soot isn't as visible on a black car).

Or actually - the dealers are doing right by us.

Acura Client Service (nee Honda) is a bunch of shitbags.
Old 03-15-2006, 03:44 PM
Unemployed or retired?

See my point?
Sorry, but I don't.
Old 03-15-2006, 04:39 PM
Instructor

Sorry, but I don't.
Rich,

What don't you get? Explain further, so I can help you get the point.

Quick Reply: New Exhaust Tips being installed Thursday