New 05 off to a bad start

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2005, 08:31 AM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New 05 off to a bad start

I bought my wife a 05RL just before Thanksgiving, We had been admiring the car for a while but were having some hesitation because of the list price. So when we were offered a new 05 at a substancial discount we jumped at it.
This is a great car to drive but unfortunately ours has got off to a bad start.

Had to have new battery
CD loader froze up, dealer cleared but does not know how they did it
Excessive vibration from the front under braking( Rotors turned by dealer at 78 miles cured problem) Don't belive that should have happened it was obviously out of wack from the factory

On cold days the touch door lock/unlock do not work
Intermittant yellow message "System Malfunction"
Tire sensors show low at 28 rear 30 front on cold tires
Right front tire sensor shows problem intermittantly( flashes)
AC and heat sometimes do not work. Ok in full auto although cold air slow to cool car off on auto. In manual even the temp numbers vanish on occision so manually moving warmer or cooler does nothing no air hot or cold
The car gets keyfobs confused driver 1/2 and you have use the door buttons to set seat etc.

The items in this group above are intermittant and usually vanish after the car has sat ovenight and everthing is fine again for a day or so.

My wife now refuses to drive the car as she is scared of being standed. I have talked to my dealer but it is difficult for them to fix an intermittant problem the car checks out fine.

So with a new car my wife won't drive I asked what it would cost to get me out of it and in to another Acura, TSX or TL. After two weeks of ownership I was quoted a trade in of $36k. Ouch ....... if you compare that to the MSRP (which I did not pay thank goodness) that gives a new meaning to depreciation for this model.
I realise prices are market driven but it would seem Acura dealers don't rate this car very high for resale.

So what to do bite the bullit and loose $7000 in two weeks, ask for the regional Honda rep to review my car history or just cross my fingers and hope the electonic gremlins go away? If I do that I will have to drive the car as my wife has had it with it. ( I prefer more utility vehicles)

Is it worth getting the regional rep involved as I doubt that Acura will take the car back but only agree to fix it which they would anyway under warranty?

Any comments or advice would be appreciated
Old 12-10-2005, 08:39 AM
Intermediate

Does the state where you live have a Lemon Law? In California you'd be able to make them take your car back and return your money to you.
Old 12-10-2005, 09:14 AM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I am sorry to hear about this, as with any product there is bound to be one with glitches. Get the regional rep involved and document EVERYTHING. The documentation of every service, phone call, names of individuals involved, and also write down everytime something goes wrong.... this in the end will help you in case you have to get Honda to buy it back from you.
Old 12-10-2005, 09:22 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by CaptPJB
I bought my wife a 05RL just before Thanksgiving, We had been admiring the car for a while but were having some hesitation because of the list price. So when we were offered a new 05 at a substancial discount we jumped at it.
This is a great car to drive but unfortunately ours has got off to a bad start.

Had to have new battery
CD loader froze up, dealer cleared but does not know how they did it
Excessive vibration from the front under braking( Rotors turned by dealer at 78 miles cured problem) Don't belive that should have happened it was obviously out of wack from the factory

On cold days the touch door lock/unlock do not work
Intermittant yellow message "System Malfunction"
Tire sensors show low at 28 rear 30 front on cold tires
Right front tire sensor shows problem intermittantly( flashes)
AC and heat sometimes do not work. Ok in full auto although cold air slow to cool car off on auto. In manual even the temp numbers vanish on occision so manually moving warmer or cooler does nothing no air hot or cold
The car gets keyfobs confused driver 1/2 and you have use the door buttons to set seat etc.

The items in this group above are intermittant and usually vanish after the car has sat ovenight and everthing is fine again for a day or so.

My wife now refuses to drive the car as she is scared of being standed. I have talked to my dealer but it is difficult for them to fix an intermittant problem the car checks out fine.

So with a new car my wife won't drive I asked what it would cost to get me out of it and in to another Acura, TSX or TL. After two weeks of ownership I was quoted a trade in of $36k. Ouch ....... if you compare that to the MSRP (which I did not pay thank goodness) that gives a new meaning to depreciation for this model.
I realise prices are market driven but it would seem Acura dealers don't rate this car very high for resale.

So what to do bite the bullit and loose $7000 in two weeks, ask for the regional Honda rep to review my car history or just cross my fingers and hope the electonic gremlins go away? If I do that I will have to drive the car as my wife has had it with it. ( I prefer more utility vehicles)

Is it worth getting the regional rep involved as I doubt that Acura will take the car back but only agree to fix it which they would anyway under warranty?

Any comments or advice would be appreciated
First, welcome to the forums. Second, very sorry to hear about these problems. In response to the other poster - all states have a lemon law, but it is a royal PITA to have a car repurchased (I have done it and helped at least a dozen other people). If you end up wanting to go the lemon route, let me know, and I can provide you with some information and guidance as to the best strategy to go ahead with this.

Now, to the problems:

Bad battery - not sure why, odd.
Rotors - there were inital problems with this. Has the problem re-appeared or has this been resolved?

On cold days the touch door lock/unlock do not work - Have you door handles been waxed or have you gone through one of those automated car washes which puts wax on the car? If so, clean off the handles and try again. There was also problems with the door handles, so you should tell the dealer to replace these if the problem doesn't get fixed.
Intermittant yellow message "System Malfunction" - Systemmalfunction of what? The door handles?

Tire sensors show low at 28 rear 30 front on cold tires - Yes, you should over-inflate your tires because the pressure drops with cold weather. This isn't really a problem - just physics. Others have said it would be great to have tires that automatically adjust their inflation levels (with an on-board automatic compressor) how great would that be! (Check the drivers door for the reccomended PSI - inflate it 2 PSI over that for the winter)

Right front tire sensor shows problem intermittantly( flashes) - Is it because of low tire pressure? If so, see above. If not, what is the exact message that shows?

AC and heat sometimes do not work. Ok in full auto although cold air slow to cool car off on auto. In manual even the temp numbers vanish on occision so manually moving warmer or cooler does nothing no air hot or cold - What do you mean the temp numbers vanish? I am a little confused, could you explain this again please?
The car gets keyfobs confused driver 1/2 and you have use the door buttons to set seat etc. - The system will set the seats and everything to the fob that is closest to the car. Leave fob 2 in the house and then approach with fob 1, it will always work. Same for fob 2.
Old 12-10-2005, 10:27 AM
Racer

Sorry about the bad experience. Before you drop $7K let's make sure all these problems are properly documented as suggested above. It's a good start to describe them to us with some more detail as vp911 asked, perhaps some issues will go away.

The car is perfectly capable of being trouble free. I've had mine for a while now and nothing has really gone wrong yet. I'm annoyed with a few things but those are as intended. In other words if they replace and/or fix components at a capable dealer the car should be OK.

If I was in your shoes and decided to sell the car there would NO WAY I'd buy another Acura though.
Old 12-10-2005, 10:37 AM
Suzuka Master

I agree with Nocturnal - if you were to selli t, I wouldn't buy another Acura. But, these issues - while are annoying especially for a brand new car, should be able to be resolved and then you can have a trouble-free ownership.
Old 12-10-2005, 11:07 AM
Racer

Also, I would definately get on the horn with the manager of the dealership and Acura itself. No matter how well all these issues get resolved the car should not have been delivered like that. Let them know that you're discussing these issues on the internet with fellow Acura owners and prospective buyers. Should this drag on I would recommend starting a Blog to record your experiences and letting Acura know about this. Stay professional and accurate and this powerful tool can help move things along.
Old 12-10-2005, 11:09 AM
Suzuka Master

^ I second that. Excellent idea - they should work with you to resolve these pretty quickly.
Old 12-10-2005, 11:22 AM
'06 RL

I have, so far, had pretty good responsiveness from Acura Customer Service -- to the point where the regional rep has gotten involved with a problem that the dealer hasn't been able to resolve. While the problem isn't fixed yet, they've been trying. (My problem is interior rattles....I've had no *knock wood* electrical issues...yet?)

As for the dead battery, are you sure you turned the car all the way off? It's easy to not do so -- and it's been noted as a common issue on the boards. There was also a TSB for dead battery issues, search is your friend here.

High school physics -- PV= T. The ideal gas equation? Remember? Tire pressure drops with temperature -- that's not a glitch, it's just what happens. That's completely normal.

As for excessive vibration on braking after 70 miles, sounds like you probably made a panic stop on new pads. That's a problem with any car. If you brake hard then come to a full stop before the pads are seated to the rotors, it causes the rotors to be "tattooed" with brake dust into the surface. It's not warping, it's bits of pad material glued to the surface of the rotor, which will then vibrate when braking. If they resurfaced the rotors, that probably got rid of it. This issue is described elsehere on these boards, too -- do a search.

I'd call ACS, make some noise, and see what they do. The corporate level seems MUCH more responsive than the dealership, and they're at least trying to take care of my issue.
Old 12-10-2005, 11:23 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 997 Likes on 531 Posts
CaptPJB, it sounds like most, if not all, of the problems you mentioned are issues that have been dealt with long ago and your primary problem may be a negligent dealership who failed to properly update the car prior to your purchase. Had all of the required TSB's been thoroughly and correctly applied to your car and had the car been inspected for known past problems - ALL of these issues should have been corrected BEFORE you took possession of the car. I can only speculate at their reasons for not properly updating the car - top of the list is laziness or just being too cheap to put the service department's time into preparing the car. My gut feeling is that they eat at leasst some of the service bill before there is an owner but after they sell the car to you, Acura pays for any service work done under warranty.
For this reason, I think that you should get Acura Customer Service involved so they are aware of the shoddy service that your dealer is providing.
Old 12-10-2005, 12:18 PM
Racer

In addition, I would recommend having ACS search for the TSB's associated with the VIN number of your car to see if some of the problems are associated with a TSB. Then take to car back to the dealer to have the TSB's done.
Old 12-10-2005, 04:03 PM
Cruisin'

RL Update

This morning was a whole brand new day for my RL. Went to back it out of the garage had to use key fob to open door as it has locked and the touch sensor did not work. Not sure how it locked but it is possible I did it the previous evening by mistake but it would not open on the door sensor. Anyway I noticed all the setting had gone from the radio etc. Then I try to reset the door locking etc and it comes up unknown driver and will not let me make any changes to the settings. So in to the house I go and get the other key fob leaving the origional inside. Same result doors will not unlock on sensor and it does not identify driver 2 only unknown driver again. I figure out it has lost sync with the key fobs and try to re-link per the manual no luck.

However the car runs OK so off to the dealership I go. My sales rep manages to reset the key fobs by standing out side the car pressing lock then unlock then getting in the car and resetting per the manual pressing lock/unlock together and watching the flashes, one flash sync two unsync. No luck with the drivers door sensors for unlock etc but the passenger side works OK. So I request the area rep and off to service we go, seems he will be by Monday....great. Co-incidentally the drivers door sensor now suddenly works but my problem has been witnessed as not working five minutes ago

End result I got a loaner TL for the weekend (my service dept is open Saturday) and they are going to work on the car and talk to the area rep Monday. Sure am glad it did the work no work thing while I was there as I know they were begining to think I was nuts, problem is these faults come and go all by themselves.

As for the tires, reading the manual afterwards I believe the system fault referes to the pressure sensors as I had one
flashing. It went away by itself. Tires wre correctly infalted

When I said the temp number disappeared I literally meant the number in the upper display simply was not there and no amopunt of operating the manual control on the dash, red hot blue cold did anything! Cured itself the next day

The dead battery the dealership replaced before delivery and was explained because the car was sitting on their lot etc . I personally have not had a problem since but I do understand you have to turn the car off correctly.

They fixed the rotors and no more problems although as soon as I drove off the lot on delivery the brakes felt strange and I went back the next day. By the way no panic stops it was there from the get go.

Key fob confusion, it does not seem to recognise the sepate key fobs intermitantly. Some days yes some no.

Thanks for all your advice have started a detailed log of my probelems just in case.

Peter
Old 12-10-2005, 04:12 PM
Suzuka Master

Peter - all your problems have been addressed by the previous TSBs. My best guess is that your selling dealer did not perform these TSBs prior to delivering the car to you. If I were you, I would find the TSBs that are posted on the forums here - and look at how the dealer was supposed to mark the VIN card to show that the TSBs had been performed. Go check out your car and see if they were done. If they were not, your dealer violated a federal law by delivering the vehicle to you without performing the TSBs.

Either way, IMO, all your problems will be resolved with the TSBs being performed. They are all annoying but can all be fixed pretty easily once the dealer decides to perform all the TSBs.
Old 12-10-2005, 09:16 PM
office monkey

I'd say a pull of the main fuse (and secondary main fuse) may help with some of these problems. I had to do that once after things were a bit freaky (folks had the car for a ngiht and the batt died on them) and it worked.
Old 12-12-2005, 06:46 PM
Cruisin'

RL Update 2

Just heard from the dealership. The service manager took the car home over the weekend and found no major issues he confirmed the drivers door auto lock/unlock was tempremental and also found some low voltage codes in the computer. Tomorrow they will fit new a door handle and remove battery and clear computer codes etc then replace battery. Also check with Honda tech on the low voltage codes before they wipe them

From my work experience with computer control systems this approach has merit as with PLC's and computers you need to " bleed" the system down to clean it out to prevent residue codes remaining.

Anyway hopefully in a day or so I hope to be able to report all is well with the car. Then all I have to do is to convince the wife it is sound and get my car back!
Old 12-12-2005, 10:47 PM
Advanced

This morning was a whole brand new day for my RL. Went to back it out of the garage had to use key fob to open door as it has locked and the touch sensor did not work. Not sure how it locked but it is possible I did it the previous evening by mistake but it would not open on the door sensor. Anyway I noticed all the setting had gone from the radio etc. Then I try to reset the door locking etc and it comes up unknown driver and will not let me make any changes to the settings. So in to the house I go and get the other key fob leaving the origional inside. Same result doors will not unlock on sensor and it does not identify driver 2 only unknown driver again. I figure out it has lost sync with the key fobs and try to re-link per the manual no luck.

However the car runs OK so off to the dealership I go. My sales rep manages to reset the key fobs by standing out side the car pressing lock then unlock then getting in the car and resetting per the manual pressing lock/unlock together and watching the flashes, one flash sync two unsync. No luck with the drivers door sensors for unlock etc but the passenger side works OK. So I request the area rep and off to service we go, seems he will be by Monday....great. Co-incidentally the drivers door sensor now suddenly works but my problem has been witnessed as not working five minutes ago

End result I got a loaner TL for the weekend (my service dept is open Saturday) and they are going to work on the car and talk to the area rep Monday. Sure am glad it did the work no work thing while I was there as I know they were begining to think I was nuts, problem is these faults come and go all by themselves.

As for the tires, reading the manual afterwards I believe the system fault referes to the pressure sensors as I had one
flashing. It went away by itself. Tires wre correctly infalted

When I said the temp number disappeared I literally meant the number in the upper display simply was not there and no amopunt of operating the manual control on the dash, red hot blue cold did anything! Cured itself the next day

The dead battery the dealership replaced before delivery and was explained because the car was sitting on their lot etc . I personally have not had a problem since but I do understand you have to turn the car off correctly.

They fixed the rotors and no more problems although as soon as I drove off the lot on delivery the brakes felt strange and I went back the next day. By the way no panic stops it was there from the get go.

Key fob confusion, it does not seem to recognise the sepate key fobs intermitantly. Some days yes some no.

Thanks for all your advice have started a detailed log of my probelems just in case.

Peter

Sorry to hear about your problems. Hope you get them all fixed this time. You've gotten some good advice in this thread. Lots of experience here.

By the way - would like to know how you like the TL when you report back on the RL. Good Luck!
Old 12-13-2005, 07:18 PM
Cruisin'

RL 2005 Saga Final Update

They still have the car trying to eliminate the low voltage error signals in the elctronic brain going in to day three now.

This was such a poor start to a new car we have decided to trade it back to them as my wife will never be comfortable with the RL we had. Yes I will loose money but better that than spend two days a week at the dealership plus I want my car back from the wife. Exact numbers not settled yet it will be a costly three week ownership not as bad as initailly poseted above but worth it to us to get out from this particular car.

The loaner TL shows just how effective the awd drive on the RL is as you can definately feel the torque steer especially coming out of a corner on the TL. Plus to be honest I find the interior of the TL feels cheap, yes I know it is a cheaper car but the interior trim of the TSX seems better to us than the TL. Example the moon roof interior screen is very flimsy. All a matter of perception I guess.

Thanks for all the comments on this.

Peter
Old 12-13-2005, 07:19 PM
Suzuka Master

Peter - Don't trade it. See how long it takes them, and then file a lemon law claim with an attorney. Let the lawyer handle the process and you will get almost all your money back.
Old 12-15-2005, 07:16 AM
Cruisin'

Who is President of Honda USA

Can anyone help me, who is the President or whatever his title may be of Honda USA? No luck finding it on the web but my intent is to Fedex him my log of problems and although he may not open it personally I feel sure I will get at least a reply from Honda this way. I have gone about as far as I can with the dealership.

Thanks in advance.
Old 12-15-2005, 07:22 AM
'06 RL

Can anyone help me, who is the President or whatever his title may be of Honda USA? No luck finding it on the web but my intent is to Fedex him my log of problems and although he may not open it personally I feel sure I will get at least a reply from Honda this way. I have gone about as far as I can with the dealership.

Thanks in advance.
Have you tried calling Acura customer service? The number is 800-382-2238. That's Acura corporate, and in my experience you will get responses.
Old 12-15-2005, 09:45 AM
Advanced

Oh don't take a hit on the trade in, that's exactly what they want you to do. You seem like a smart guy, so go through the lemon law, it's a lond winded way, but it's worth it to save 7 grand. Unless 7 grand to you is not much.
Old 12-15-2005, 10:28 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by jftjr
Have you tried calling Acura customer service? The number is 800-382-2238. That's Acura corporate, and in my experience you will get responses.

Not likely. ACS is terrible.
Old 12-15-2005, 10:29 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by ragged
Oh don't take a hit on the trade in, that's exactly what they want you to do. You seem like a smart guy, so go through the lemon law, it's a lond winded way, but it's worth it to save 7 grand. Unless 7 grand to you is not much.
Better fight them and make them pay for their stupidity. I would contact a lemon law attorney to save yourself the hassle of fighting the case yourself.
Old 12-15-2005, 11:40 AM
'06 RL

Originally Posted by vp911
Not likely. ACS is terrible.
They got the dealer to pay attention to my problems and got a division-level corporate guy involved. I was pretty pleased.

I think, though, that sending a letter to Honda isn't going to get as much response as directing one to CS at Acura.

I do, however, believe that if you go the lemon law route you are going to be in much better shape than taking a trade hit. Thing is, in most states, for most kinds of problem, you have to give the manufacturer notice and opportunity to fix it -- for example, PA is 3 visits or 30 days out of service. Each state is different, though, so you have to check the law.

But calling an attorney is *much* better than bending over for $10K of depreciation.
Old 12-15-2005, 11:47 AM
Suzuka Master

jftjr - That might be the first time I have heard somebody satisfied with ACS!!! Most everybody on here complains that ACS is unresponsive. I, myself, have had some, but very limited sucess with them in the past.

http://lemonlaw.bbb.org/

Go there to read the requirements for the lemon law of your state.
Old 12-15-2005, 11:59 AM
'06 RL

Originally Posted by vp911
jftjr - That might be the first time I have heard somebody satisfied with ACS!!! Most everybody on here complains that ACS is unresponsive. I, myself, have had some, but very limited sucess with them in the past.
I wasn't completely satisfied... but I did get a response, and some action did happen.

Not sure that the problem's been resolved to my satisfaction, but at least the suit that they sent out to meet with me sounded like he was genuinely concerned, and told me what I wanted to hear....