neuronbob's RL-related comments from Cleveland Auto Show/Brochure post #9

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2008, 09:20 PM
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Neuronbob,

Thanks for the pics! I think you did a good job taking shots from various angles we haven't seen before. I especially liked the shot of the rear from the side which shows off the chrome detailing that runs along the bottom of the doors.

On a side note, I also own a Pilot (2006 EX-L w/ NAV), and am planning on getting an RL, (unless I can get a great deal on an M45x). The Pilot is a good vehicle, but I can't wait to get back to driving a smaller vehicle with lots of gadgets and better handling.
Old 02-24-2008, 10:04 PM
05 slate grey e500 AMG sp

Could some one photochop the grill on the red one to match the body color, lessing the contrast may make it less offensive,
Old 02-24-2008, 10:16 PM
Instructor

I think a chromed grille would look better. That silver-plasticky-matte grille definitely looks cheap.
Another Acura mistake: showing a red RL -looks like a smiling clown-, your top of the line flagship should be more conservative looking, I'm sure very few red luxury sedans are sold anyway.. that color would be more appropriate for a TL-S or NSX.
Old 02-24-2008, 10:20 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 719 Likes on 201 Posts
I go on vacation for a month, and acura does this! I don't mind the rear as others have said... now the front... hmmm... it will have to grow on me.
Old 02-24-2008, 10:52 PM
Advanced

No ROBOCOP front grill please..it's hideous

It's too much a contrast to the beautiful & elegant interior...Acura have really miss it mark with this refresh.
Old 02-24-2008, 11:12 PM
2016 Acura TLX

Received 137 Likes on 89 Posts
Originally Posted by ssim3
Could some one photochop the grill on the red one to match the body color, lessing the contrast may make it less offensive,

Here you go.

Old 02-25-2008, 08:18 AM
office monkey

I just realized what the grill reminds me of! The closeup of that grill shot got me thinking and bam...it reminds me of the top half of the Transformers logo on Optimus Prime.

Hmm, maybe the RL is in fact an autobot...go Acura if so!
Old 02-25-2008, 09:18 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by honda_nut
Here you go.

He actually asked for someone to make the grille body-colored, not smaller.
Old 02-25-2008, 09:33 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by jwaters943
He actually asked for someone to make the grille body-colored, not smaller.
Yeah, but that does look better!!
Old 02-25-2008, 10:29 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 90 Likes on 75 Posts
Man oh, man. After viewing THOSE pics, the grille is even uglier. Acura has made a huge blunder. The grille ruins the whole car. I hope there will be an optional grille. It will be the fist option I am going to order, no matter what the cost.
Old 02-25-2008, 11:50 AM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by cai06
I think a chromed grille would look better. That silver-plasticky-matte grille definitely looks cheap.
Another Acura mistake: showing a red RL -looks like a smiling clown-, your top of the line flagship should be more conservative looking, I'm sure very few red luxury sedans are sold anyway.. that color would be more appropriate for a TL-S or NSX.
"...Smiling red clown" is exactly what I was thinking about the grill. Too bad, given all the other improvements...
Old 02-25-2008, 12:02 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by neuronbob

Look at the delicate and forlorn silver RL off the right, while its bulked-up younger brother sits there with all the new features and the in-your-face mug.

Bob -- Thanks for the pics and the real-world review.

Do you think the 2009 base 18" wheels would look good on a box-stock Celestial Silver RL (like yours used to be)? Are they painted or machined?

Rob144
Old 02-25-2008, 12:36 PM
Racer

i wonder if the grill would look better if it was like a black chrome or gunmetalish color...
Old 02-25-2008, 12:47 PM
AcurAdmirer

Received 352 Likes on 164 Posts
Here's an alternate design theme Acura could have copied ...

Just a thought ...
Old 02-25-2008, 01:49 PM
Pro

Weird grilles are the newest styling trend, especially on SUVs.

Don't hate me, but I kinda like 'em!
Old 02-25-2008, 02:44 PM
Pro

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts
Something closer to the current design would work for me. Maybe even without the badge on front.
I'm a photoshop hack, so don't look too closely at it

Old 02-25-2008, 03:07 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by robarsan
Something closer to the current design would work for me. Maybe even without the badge on front.
I'm a photoshop hack, so don't look too closely at it

That's a little better. Now if we can just get rid of the triangle fog lights, we might have something,
Old 02-25-2008, 05:04 PM
Safety Car

Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts
Originally Posted by Rob144
Do you think the 2009 base 18" wheels would look good on a box-stock Celestial Silver RL (like yours used to be)? Are they painted or machined?

Rob144
I was wondering the same thing, in the event I have to get something other than PAX...

They look to be the standard painted alloys, not unlike the current stocks 17" rims or the 460mm PAX rims. There are close ups of these wheels available, and they do not look machined. I am sure they are cast.
Old 02-25-2008, 05:41 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,613 Likes on 2,193 Posts
The wheels appear to be painted, just like the current stock 17s.
Old 02-25-2008, 05:41 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by Chas2
I was wondering the same thing, in the event I have to get something other than PAX...

They look to be the standard painted alloys, not unlike the current stocks 17" rims or the 460mm PAX rims. There are close ups of these wheels available, and they do not look machined. I am sure they are cast.
I'm torn. The 18" wheel fills the well a little better but the wheel design looks a bit too Accord-like. I really like a 5-spoke design, which is knd of timeless and less model-specific looking.

Would the space-saver spare stay the same?

Rob144
Old 02-26-2008, 09:02 AM
Racer

I always liked this grill.....looks like it has fangs.

It's an Isuzu Vehicross
Old 02-29-2008, 12:54 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by dwest1023
Man oh, man. After viewing THOSE pics, the grille is even uglier. Acura has made a huge blunder. The grille ruins the whole car. I hope there will be an optional grille. It will be the fist option I am going to order, no matter what the cost.
I think dwest has inadvertently stumbled onto the real Acura strategy:

Make the factory grill so disgustingly ugly that the optional grill (regardless of price) must be purchased. In this case they would make more profit on grills than they do on optional wheels.
Old 02-29-2008, 07:58 PM
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
neuronbob, great work as always. The scanned brochure looks good and the last picture actually makes the 3/4 view look great.

I really hope these Acura stooges skim this website and read our suggestions. They can easily see how this machine can look much better with a quick photoshop change to the beak
Old 03-01-2008, 04:26 PM
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
worse in person

went to the cleveland show last night, the 09 IMO is even worse in person. None of the Acura employees or hired models like it either. There is no elegance at all. the rear treatment is ok but overall the change to the hood and grill ruin the design, which certainly was not that eye striking to begin with. The car now appears narrow instead of wide like the original G35. I told my sales guy i'll wait until the FMC. No way would I trade my 06. The competition certainly IMO looks better (ie GS and M) even though the RL has the best AWD, and features for the $.
Sorry Acura, when your employees and current owners find the MMC to be just plain ugly you really have failed to listen to your intended customers.
Old 03-01-2008, 08:10 PM
Racer

Like jwaters943 said in an earlier post, perhaps Acura will offer a dealer installed optional grill people may want.. It maybe a way for Acura to "make up" (???) to the dealers who have seen their profit margin on the RL go down the drain?
Old 03-01-2008, 10:25 PM
Senior Moderator

Cleveland Plain Dealer article on 2009 RL

2009 Acura RLs hit Cleveland Auto Show

Cliff's notes: The 2009 RL's next show stop was supposed to be New York but they were rerouted to Cleveland at the last minute. Could it have been because of a certain mega-mod here?
Old 03-02-2008, 08:52 AM
Torch & Pitchfork Posse

Received 1,806 Likes on 793 Posts
Wink

2009 Acura RLs hit Cleveland Auto Show

Cliff's notes: The 2009 RL's next show stop was supposed to be New York but they were rerouted to Cleveland at the last minute. Could it have been because of a certain mega-mod here?
Maybe Acura wants to test the waters on the styling with a more forgiving city before New York.

If the RL receives the same outcry it got from the Chicago debut, then taking it straight to New York could be precarious. New Yorker's are very black and white with decisions and opinions. I would expect if the new RL schnoz had appeared in New York first, somebody would have been whacked.

Any Acura execs who may be chosen to represent the brand in New York are likely drawing straws as we speak.
Old 03-02-2008, 08:54 AM
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
I have a question for everybody on this thread.

Does anybody feel that there is a remote chance that Acura actually changes the grille design for the 2009 RL.

These Acura guys can't be idiots and not hear the panning they received for this debacle. Just curious.
Old 03-02-2008, 09:07 AM
Torch & Pitchfork Posse

Originally Posted by static808
I have a question for everybody on this thread.

Does anybody feel that there is a remote chance that Acura actually changes the grille design for the 2009 RL.

These Acura guys can't be idiots and not hear the panning they received for this debacle. Just curious.

I seriouly doubt it. The grille, although part of the plastic front facia, is itself is not the total issue. They hacked the hood's leading edge and the headlight shape change alters the front fenders. These are metal stampings that would have to be changed to correct the alignment vugarities.

They likley had several design concepts and there may be a 'Plan B' facia / grille alternative, but even if it is less offensive, the sheetmetal will not be changed.

Also, the revised hood may not have simply been a design faux pas. The hood appears raised. This could be to better comply with passenger collision requirements, or does anyone know if the 3.7 V6 required more clearance?

Retooling this MMC is very aggressive. I don't see any wiggle room.

I secretly fantisize they simply return to the original hood and fender stampings, then have a revised facia (form an alternative design model) that integrates with the metal components.

But as much as I appreciate the content enhancements, they simply are not worth that face. I had hoped to hate the MMC so my love for my 06 would not wane. I got my wish. But this beast makes me worry what they will do to the FMC.
Old 03-02-2008, 10:41 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 30 Likes on 18 Posts
So I signed up on the Acura website to receive the brochure for the 2009 RL, and I received what I thought was the brochure in the mail yesterday. What I received was exactly the same as the screen shots that Bob posted in this thread. It's kind of an odd presentation - individual pages, not stapled together, with printing only on one side. The accompanying letter states that the car will be out in the Spring, and the real brochure, with the full list of advancements. will be mailed before then. It's interesting that they've avoided the straight-on photo from the front in all of their official pics. Even Acura knows its bad.
Old 03-02-2008, 11:01 AM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by dwboston
So I signed up on the Acura website to receive the brochure for the 2009 RL, and I received what I thought was the brochure in the mail yesterday. What I received was exactly the same as the screen shots that Bob posted in this thread. It's kind of an odd presentation - individual pages, not stapled together, with printing only on one side. The accompanying letter states that the car will be out in the Spring, and the real brochure, with the full list of advancements. will be mailed before then. It's interesting that they've avoided the straight-on photo from the front in all of their official pics. Even Acura knows its bad.

Acura has managed to create the Japanese version of an Edsel
Old 03-02-2008, 05:09 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by dwboston
What I received was exactly the same as the screen shots that Bob posted in this thread. It's kind of an odd presentation - individual pages, not stapled together, with printing only on one side.
This is exactly what I have--the individual sheets. I thought was was an avant-garde, artsy presentation they were going for...something different.

As far as changing the front prior to production, I am certain that Acura is watching. The sheet metal likely won't be changed--this is Honda's pedestrian protection at work and we can blame the Feds for that in part. I hope the grille itself is redesigned.
Old 03-02-2008, 05:38 PM
AcurAdmirer

Received 352 Likes on 164 Posts
This is exactly what I have--the individual sheets. I thought was was an avant-garde, artsy presentation they were going for...something different.

As far as changing the front prior to production, I am certain that Acura is watching. The sheet metal likely won't be changed--this is Honda's pedestrian protection at work and we can blame the Feds for that in part. I hope the grille itself is redesigned.
The individual, unattached sheets isn't a Honda innovation ... I got a similar sheaf of picture pages from Infiniti touting their models. (My unashamed embrace of different car brands has landed me on mailing lists for most major brands. )

It may be a sexy new way of advertising, but to me it looks CHEAP! (Sorry, but it does, whether from Honda/Acura or from Infiniti.)

Old 03-02-2008, 06:23 PM
Honda Fanboy

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
It must be the latest trend or something. Even Lexus does this for the LS brochure. I found it to be really annoying.
Old 03-02-2008, 06:53 PM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Rob144
I'm torn. The 18" wheel fills the well a little better but the wheel design looks a bit too Accord-like. I really like a 5-spoke design, which is knd of timeless and less model-specific looking.

Would the space-saver spare stay the same?

Rob144
I completely agree, if the tail-end wasn't enough, it looks like they took the Accord wheels and slapped them on the Acura flagship??!! I'm sure the aftermarket wheel companies are happy though. The only saving grace is that they at least went up a size to the 18", but not pleasing, IMO.
Old 03-02-2008, 07:52 PM
Safety Car

Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts
Sort of ironic how there were many criticisms of the 17" five spokers, but now that these 18" "Accord" like wheels are out, people are bemoaning the fact that the five spokers looked better. Actually, I think the five spokers are better looking, albeit in a heavy sort of way. The spokes needed to be a little more delicate looking. It would have been awesome to be able to see the full ACURA on the calipers.
Old 03-02-2008, 08:17 PM
Torch & Pitchfork Posse

Unhappy

Originally Posted by Chas2
Sort of ironic how there were many criticisms of the 17" five spokers, but now that these 18" "Accord" like wheels are out, people are bemoaning the fact that the five spokers looked better. Actually, I think the five spokers are better looking, albeit in a heavy sort of way. The spokes needed to be a little more delicate looking. It would have been awesome to be able to see the full ACURA on the calipers.
*sheepishly raises hand*

I have avoided commenting on the 5 spokers, as I thought I was the only person who liked them.

I like them because of the simple and subtle style, like the rest of the car. I like them because they stay very clean and are easy to clean. I like large space between the spokes as it shows the 'Acura' caliper thought the slots. I like them for not being fussy, which to me makes them more sporty for the RL.

The 09 RL wheels do look like the Accord wheels to me.
Old 03-02-2008, 08:56 PM
Senior Moderator

The old stock wheels were just plain dowdy. The new ones are a little better but are definitely 2008 Accord-ish. I think the 18" A-Spec wheels should have been made standard--they are sportier-looking and add to the side profile of the car. They'd go well with that silver accent on the side of the car.
Old 03-02-2008, 08:58 PM
Proboscis-free zone

Right on, right on. The 5-spoke wheels may not be fancy, but they are at least reasonably classy. The A-spec wheels are much sportier and better looking, though not an option for my '06 Tech Package (CMBS/PAX). At least my 5-spokers are 18", which is the minimum acceptable size for this car.

The new Accord/Camry wheels are distinctly uninspired.
Old 03-02-2008, 09:15 PM
Torch & Pitchfork Posse

Talking

I'll take dowdy over these anyday!

http://blog.vehiclevoice.com/300SEMA06rims.jpg

http://www.ronalusa.com/wheels/opt-images/bear/bear.jpg

http://www.tirerack.com/images/wheel...aisy_ci3_l.jpg

http://www.bigwheels.net/wheels/dub/...nner_large.jpg

http://www.gearfuse.com/wp-content/u...wheels-1sm.jpg

http://02civ.com/images/DONKeykong%2...nch%20rims.jpg

But these are cool, because MB & BMW's wear them?

http://www.lakeshorewheelandtire.com.../mbz-155-s.JPG

http://www.finishlinewheels.com/spec...5_162050DE.jpg

Quick Reply: neuronbob's RL-related comments from Cleveland Auto Show/Brochure post #9