Need some help - charging issues

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2016, 01:54 PM
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Need some help - charging issues

To start off, yes I've researched other threads. I'm at a loss and need some specific help.

Car is having major charging issues. I've replaced batteries and alternators and still have problems.

Jump back to March 2015, car stopped starting. Replaced the battery AND the alternator. This was 13,000 miles ago. After replacing both of those, car still gave me problems in the winter when it was cold, so a friend at the Honda dealership looked at it and said it was the air conditioner compressor that was draining the battery. Pulled the circuit thingy for the compressor (I don't know the tech term) and it was fine, no issues. Put the air conditioner circuit back in the car during the summer (for AC), battery and charging was fine.

Now jump to about a month ago, car starts acting up again. If it sat for a day and I drove my other car, it would not start the next day or would barely start. This was when temps got down to about 30 or so.

Monday night, it died again. Completely dead. Jumped it, took it to the autoparts store, bought yet another new battery. Fine for 2 days, go to leave work today, and it's dead again, AFTER I left for lunch 2 hours ago and it was fine. Checked the cables, everything is still in tact.

Cables appear to be clean/fine, terminals are clean, and nothing else weird is going on.

What are some common problems that could be causing this or do you guys have any advise on what may be the issue?

I really hate to get rid of the car, but at the same time, I'm sick of chasing these stupid issues. Car has 170,000 miles on it. I've owned it since 110,000. It's my beater/daily driver.

Thank you in advance. Also, I'm in the Charlotte area if anyone would be willing to help look at it that is nearby.

Stephanie
Old 02-03-2016, 02:54 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 7,247 Likes on 4,858 Posts
Did you replace the compressor circuit or just plug it back in? Have you tried disconnecting it again?

When you say it's dead, you mean none of the electronics or interior lights turn on? Trying to rule out starting issues.

Sounds like you have something that is draining the battery. There is a known issue in the 2005 models where pressing the trunk release button on the driver's door and then locking the car with the fob will drain the battery. The dealer has a software update for that. There is also a known issue with the HFL module causing excessive draw. You could try unplugging that.

Otherwise, I would suggest you measure the current when the car is off to see if there is something else killing your batteries.
Old 02-03-2016, 04:28 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 122 Likes on 99 Posts
+1. Your Honda friend should be well trained in diagnosing a parasitic drain. You can do it yourself too, plenty of YouTube videos on it.