need help on diagnostic n locating part

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2012, 04:48 PM
Pro

Received 53 Likes on 41 Posts
need help on diagnostic n locating part

I hear a "tok" sound from the front suspension area when I go over small bumps at low speeds. Link kits seem to be fine and the sway bar bushings are good too. My mechanic says its the lower ball joints. Dealer says it comes with the table or the control arm, whatever u call it, and they are asking 505 + tax for each side. I was hoping I could find the ball joint alone online somewhere.

I did some searches to find that some brake problem on the 05 can cause some sound and that a loose parking brake cable is at fault at some cases but I couldn't open the TSB link to read further, says I'm not authorized.

Any help is appreciated.
Old 05-23-2012, 05:34 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 244 Likes on 139 Posts
mileage? could be worn out struts i had some front suspension noise and just installed my Aspec kit and noise went away
Old 05-23-2012, 06:25 PM
Pro

150 k
Old 05-23-2012, 07:10 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 7,247 Likes on 4,858 Posts
Your struts are either shot, or will be very soon.
Old 05-23-2012, 07:20 PM
Pro

I have another full set of A-specs that I'll swap to when I install the H&R springs next week. Hopefully it will be as u say.
Old 05-30-2012, 04:45 PM
Pro

I got ripped big time. The set of shocks that I tought A-specs were not A-specs but stock shocks and the springs in the H&R box were just another A-spec springs also. I dunno where was my head when buying those on the street. Anyways I paid my mechanic to do the swap and ended up where I was or almost. Changed almost worn out A-spec shocks to good condition stock shocks in front.

While undoing the upper control arm, we noticed the ball joint was done. Now even with different shocks, the tok sound is still there which brings me back to my initial question. Acura sells these ball joints with the control arm only but it can be found alone at online stores, HERE. I am confused about the fesability of pressing new ball joints into aluminum control arms. Is there any other reason why Acura wont sell them alone besides making more money? Anyone had any dealings with these, wut route should I take ?
Old 05-31-2012, 10:56 AM
Pro

BUMP
really need some advice here
Old 05-31-2012, 11:44 AM
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I personally never had experience with these problems, but here is my input.
I would first inspect how the ball joint is put on, is it pressed on or bolted on? If bolted on, I would change it myself. However, if pressed on, I would weigh my options.
Are you replacing it yourself or having your mechanic do it? If your mechanic is changing it, talk with him about the options.

Definitely the pressing out of the ball joints is a problem for anyone, unless you have access to a press. Personally, I would buy the assembly for convenience of install and the fact the ball joints have been installed correctly.
Old 05-31-2012, 11:52 AM
Instructor

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by hondaxacura
Definitely the pressing out of the ball joints is a problem for anyone, unless you have access to a press.
I have changed one before, it is possible but not easy..... and you will need a press!
Old 05-31-2012, 01:21 PM
Drifting

Received 591 Likes on 427 Posts
You will need a press. Many auto shops have them and will press the new ball joint in for a small fee. My friend bought a press from Harbor Freight. I've never used it personally but he said it's pretty easy to use.
Old 05-31-2012, 03:00 PM
Pro

It will be my mechanic who will do it n yes he has a press. My concern is that I have heard that u cannot press a ball joint into a control arm made of Aluminum n thats why Acura only sells the whole thing together cuz RL's control arms are made of aluminum. But when I see online stores selling the BJ alone, Im left confused as to wuts true n wuts just a hoax. I really dont wanna go the wrong route this time.
Old 05-31-2012, 10:29 PM
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Generally aluminum brackets that take pressed fittings also rely on heating one surface (think making a one off wheel where you have to heat the rim and cool the flange to get the flange to drop in) to get an accurate fit. However, If you press the new fitting into an aluminum hole and are just the smallest bit off you will probably ruin the bracket

I presume that pressing out the ball joint would not be as much trouble as heating the arm and then pressing in the new ball joint at precisely the correct angle.

Not certain, but even the tolerances might be passed the capabilities of a good mechanic.

ALL of the above is pure speculation, but any racing parts (housings and suspension assemblies) that I ever had to replace that had aluminum with any pressed fittings were all heated before they were pressed.

A bizarre thought....
I have not looked at any of the components so might pull out the Helms manual, but is there any chance that you might use the existing carrier and find a set of ball joints that can be screwed / bolted in?? If not, it might be an interesting market niche for your mechanic to explore. Back in the 70's there were no replaceable strut cartridges for Honda Accords so I engineered a bracket and fastener to use the existing shock tube so it could handle Koni replacement shocks. I didn't make a fortune, but it helped support my racing habit!
Old 06-01-2012, 06:25 AM
Pro

I dont feel comfortable frankesteining suspension components on the RL. Even my mechanic concurs in the way of Acura. Funny thing is that sites like oemacuraparts dont carry the ball joint. I'm having the feeling that I shouldnt trust these online stores mentioned in previous post.
Old 06-09-2012, 12:55 AM
Pro

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts
Some ball joints are held in place with a snap ring. Our 97 RL was this way. I would have replaced them had I known it was that easy. I was told that I had to buy the whole upright at $300+ a side just to get a ball joint. Have your mechanic look at it.
Does the parts book show a separate ball joint as a replacement part?