NaviTraffic

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2005, 02:14 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
NaviTraffic

Hello,

I am trying to find out if the NaviTraffic feature on the RL is active yet. I can not find any information on XM website. Does anyone know? If so, how well does it work? Is it worth the extra money for subscription?

TIA
Old 02-16-2005, 05:52 PM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by porshah
Hello,

I am trying to find out if the NaviTraffic feature on the RL is active yet. I can not find any information on XM website. Does anyone know? If so, how well does it work? Is it worth the extra money for subscription?

TIA
I don't quite follow. The first year is free (paid for by Acura) so there's no initial subscription cost. Are you asking if NavTraffic is available for where you live or just available in general? It's working fine for me.
Old 02-16-2005, 09:15 PM
Instructor

I am sorry. I am interested in getting the new Pioneer HU for my TL. The new unit AVIC-D1 is going to have that feature, and I was just wondering how usefull and accurate that feature is on your RL. I could not find any information on XM's website about when it will be available. The subscription for XM is $9.99 and $13.99 if you get XM and NavTraffic.
Old 02-16-2005, 10:10 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by porshah
I am sorry. I am interested in getting the new Pioneer HU for my TL. The new unit AVIC-D1 is going to have that feature, and I was just wondering how usefull and accurate that feature is on your RL. I could not find any information on XM's website about when it will be available. The subscription for XM is $9.99 and $13.99 if you get XM and NavTraffic.
Ahhh, OK, knowing that helps a lot - thanks. Honestly it depends upon where you live and/or where you frequently drive. Right now it's about 20 or so metro areas that are supported for Nav Traffic. If you aren't a regular driver in those areas - or some area on the "to-do" list, then it's probably not worth it. I see by your profile info that you are in NJ - if it's NJ by NYC then it might be worth it, if it's Ocean City than probably not.

I live on the north side of Chicago. I could get by fine without it as my commute is pretty short but if I lived in the suburbs and drove downtown everday I'd think it would be a big deal. Even in my situation, though, it has value. Last Saturday morning I was driving my wife to work down Lake Shore Drive and there was an alert icon right around where I exit for her at Michigan Ave.; moving the nav "target" finder to the alert and highlighting it confirmed that there was an accident and 3 lanes (out of 4) on LSD were blocked. Knowing that I exited the outer drive (express) to the inner drive (local) to avoid the inevitable jams. Still - I had the same info available via XM channel 217 for Chicago traffic/weather. But for those occasional forays I am forced to make out into the hinterlands of suburbia I appreciate being able to look at the map and see any hotspots in advance.

As they roll this out to more and more metro areas, though, I think the value will only increase. When I'm driving from Chicago to Atlanta as I frequently do to visit family I would definitely be appreciative of seeing how various thruways and beltways of places I'm passing through are doing so that I might plot alternate routes to avoid construction/accidents/etc.
Link to XM nav traffic coverage map

Hope this helps.
Old 02-17-2005, 12:37 PM
Instructor

Thank you for taking to the time to explain that thoroughly. According to the coverage map, it covers my usual commute. I would love to know ahead of time if there is something extraordinary on my route so that I could detour. I know that the traffic channel is already a part of the XM package, but having visual is even better. Besides, I wouldn't have to wait to hear about the traffic in my route, I can just see it. I guess I will just try it for 3-6 months, I could always drop it. Thanks again for your input.
Old 02-17-2005, 04:48 PM
The Acura Tranny Killer

Here in Los Angeles, NavTraffic is the best thing that ever happened.. just for that feature i'd EASILY have thrown another $10 grand at the car! Acura owns my ass for good now (also for making one of the best cars i have ever driven, the RL is a masterpiece).

The moment the feature is available on the MDX, i will replace my wife's 04 MDX for a new one.

Tracer
Old 02-17-2005, 05:49 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 86 Likes on 30 Posts
Question

Are GS and M having NaviTraffic, too?

I just cannot wait that Acura spreads out this feature to all its models...
Old 02-17-2005, 06:37 PM
Pro

Received 109 Likes on 70 Posts
Supposedly the cities will spread to provide more coverage in the next couple of monts. However, I think Acura has an exclusive agreement for a short while.
Old 02-17-2005, 09:38 PM
Instructor

Hopefully more cities will be added soon, like Orlando!!