My OEM batt lasted less than 2 years

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2017, 11:11 AM
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My OEM batt lasted less than 2 years

My '05 is a great car with currently 80k on it now but it sure does have many of the issues others have reported. I went to close my door the one day and the door handle pull just broke right off in my hand lol That was a fun day! My AFS light has been blinking for several years but the dealer wants $700 to fix it. Then there's the battery issues...

So I jumped into my car last night to pick up a pizza and it wouldn't turn over. It wasn't even really cold out but the lights were flickering until the entire car went black. I know this car has battery drain issues but man what an inconvenience. I had issues with the car in 2015 and after trying several non-oem batteries (none would fit) I decided to take a nice long drive to the dealer and buy a new oem battery. I recall placing the receipt in my glove box just in case I had issues with it but of course someone moved it or threw it out on me. I called the dealer and told them my battery was dead and I needed a replacement. They said once they verified it was indeed dead, they would give me a new one free of charge as long as I had my receipt. I've had the car for 5 years and gone through 2 batteries now. I guess I'm stuck buying a new battery. I decided to just have them put it in because at least it will be in their system in case this happens in 2019(which it likely will).

Keep your receipts guys....make photocopies as well because Acura has zero consideration when it comes to giving you a new battery.
Old 02-11-2017, 11:33 AM
Advanced

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
Yes definitely keep your receipts, I have had my last 2 batteries replaced under warranty at Honda.
Old 02-11-2017, 11:36 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 8,692 Likes on 6,706 Posts
RL's eat batteries
Old 02-11-2017, 11:39 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by thoiboi
RL's eat batteries
hahaha that should be the motto of this forum! It's true man. soooo true...

Old 02-11-2017, 01:34 PM

Received 612 Likes on 490 Posts
Although RLs are known to eat batteries like it's gasoline, at 80k miles in 12 years, I have to wonder how much the car sits... It might be worth thinking about a trickle charger for your car. I got one shortly after my battery failed less than two months into my ownership of the car. Best 25$ I ever spent. If I know the car will sit, even for a couple of days, just hook it up and close the hood. Voila. I've been running the same Bosch battery since May 2012 if that says anything.
Old 02-12-2017, 12:15 PM
Advanced

A trickle charger isn't a bad idea. I bought the car in 2011 with only 15k miles so that's generally where the low miles come from. It was from Acura of Manhattan (no longer in business) the previous owned lived in Jersey and took the train into work every day so he didn't drive the car all that much. The car does get driven a lot and it actually started just 2 days before the battery died so it hasn't been sitting all that long.
Old 02-12-2017, 01:14 PM
Safety Car

Received 420 Likes on 314 Posts
I drove my RL all the time - it never sat for more than 24 hours more than a few times and it ate a battery every 2 years
Old 02-12-2017, 01:24 PM

Received 612 Likes on 490 Posts
Originally Posted by getakey
I drove my RL all the time - it never sat for more than 24 hours more than a few times and it ate a battery every 2 years
Interesting. I have a remote start and a dash cam installed in the car, which both drain the battery as the dash cam has Park Mode enabled and left it periodically for 2 to 3 days unstarted and my battery is fine, then again, I also bought the backup battery pack for the dash cam
Old 02-12-2017, 11:27 PM
Pro

Received 157 Likes on 136 Posts
I guess I've been very lucky with my OEM battery, dated 05-2011, so close to 6 years. However, I just purchased an Autocraft Gold battery from Advance Auto for $90 after a $40 promo coupon as preventative maintenance.
Old 02-13-2017, 12:12 PM
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by thoiboi
RL's eat batteries
Originally Posted by projektvertx
Although RLs are known to eat batteries like it's gasoline, at 80k miles in 12 years, I have to wonder how much the car sits... It might be worth thinking about a trickle charger for your car. I got one shortly after my battery failed less than two months into my ownership of the car. Best 25$ I ever spent. If I know the car will sit, even for a couple of days, just hook it up and close the hood. Voila. I've been running the same Bosch battery since May 2012 if that says anything.
Originally Posted by projektvertx
Interesting. I have a remote start and a dash cam installed in the car, which both drain the battery as the dash cam has Park Mode enabled and left it periodically for 2 to 3 days unstarted and my battery is fine, then again, I also bought the backup battery pack for the dash cam
It's threads like these which made me decide to go with a Diehard Gold battery last fall when it came time for replacement.

I too have a remote-start and dash cam installed. Next month my car will be sitting unused for at least nine days and now I'm curious if it'll start after sitting for that long even with the Diehard battery. Not all that concerned since I have jumper cables and a portable jump starter on hand if it should fail to start. We shall see.
Old 02-22-2017, 09:51 AM
Racer

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
Anyone ever tried an AGM battery in an RL?
Old 02-22-2017, 09:52 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 8,692 Likes on 6,706 Posts
Originally Posted by BluNosr2
Anyone ever tried an AGM battery in an RL?
I went on google, typed in AGM battery site:acurazine.com

and here are the results:

https://www.google.com/search?q=agm+...hrome&ie=UTF-8
The following users liked this post:
projektvertx (02-22-2017)