My annual itch

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2005, 06:50 AM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My annual itch

Ever since I can remember I have had an insatiable itch. It occurs about a year after I purchase a new car. I read all of the auto magazines, search the various forums to learn what owners think about their cars and then test drive those that appeal to me. Usually, I relieve my itch by buying a new car.

I got the itch last week. After doing my traditional research and test drives I found that no car in my survey met or surpassed my feelings about my 200 RL. Honestly, this RL absolutely fits me to a T.

I love its styling, interior style, color and cockpit feel. Unlike many who find the engine underpowered, I find it perfect for my kind of driving. I also like the sound of the engine as I accelerate past other cars.

I am used to my RL’s various bells and whistles; the rear and back window shades make a real difference to me here in Arizona, I use the slanted passenger side rear view mirror when I backup and park, always check traffic when I leave home using both XM and the Nav system, check various functions on the steering wheel control paddles, use the shift paddles for both immediate acceleration as well as slowing on downgrades. There are so many of these bells and whistles that I have become accustomed to using that driving another car seems an ordeal to me.

Without question, I enjoyed sitting in and driving the Audi 8 and the BMW740. But, the price for these cars is outrageous. Besides, I like my RL better.

I found the GS430 and the M45 to be lacking when compared to my RL.

So, regardless of the criticisms I have read about the 2005 RL, I simply love this car and found it to be a good remedy for my annual itch.
Old 12-09-2005, 06:55 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
That is just what I love to hear. Most people come to forums to complain or find resolution to a problem, we rarely see posts like this It is good to hear that you are enjoying your RL as much as you are. It is by far one of the best cars available in the market today.
Old 12-09-2005, 09:34 AM
bkw
Death to Dave Marek.

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
That's funny. My wife said the same exact thing to me this morning as she dropped me off at the train station through 6" of snow.

It's her car and I've never seen her feel this way about a car EVER! That's pretty damn cool because I'm a certified car nut who's always purchasing, modifying and racing cars all the time. In the past 15 years, I've owned almost 20 different cars and motorcycles and now she can totally see the source of my obsession..
Old 12-09-2005, 10:05 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 997 Likes on 531 Posts
Very well put shepsan! The RL has been absolutely everything that I wanted in a car and after my first week of driving it in the snow, I love it more than ever. I've said this before, but I'll say it again, it is just soooooo easy to drive. If you want a smooth, quiet, leisurely drive aroung town, the RL is the car for you. If you want to have some fun and do some aggressive driving, the RL is for you. If you want to take a foursome to the golf course with your clubs, the RL is the car for you. If you enjoy listening to great music during a long highway trip, the RL is for you. If you want the latest technology like keyless start and state of the art navigation, the RL is for you. If you want to drive a car that oozes quality without being pretentious or ostentatious, the RL is for you. If you enjoy driving a car that gets second looks, smiles and thumbs-up responses from strangers driving by, then the RL is for you.
The RL is most certainly the car for me.
Old 12-22-2005, 11:07 PM
Instructor

Shepsan, is your RL located anywhere near Cactus/Hayden in Scottsdale by any chance? Saw one like yours, I believe the other day and always brings a smile when I see another RL.
Old 12-23-2005, 12:27 AM
Advanced

Ever had an itch you hust cant scratct?

I get that about once a year too

My doctor gives me this bottle of stuff and I sit in the bath for an hour.

Itch cured!
Old 12-23-2005, 06:01 AM
Advanced

hendjaz, sorry it wasn't me. That old flu bug has kept me home for the past few weeks.

You may not believe this but, since I drove away from the dealer (Bell Acura) in January 2005, I have not seen a single 2005 RL where I live in Sun City West. In fact, I have not seen another RL anywhere in the NW Valley.

Owning my RL is kind of like having a good education while attending public school in Arizona.
Old 12-23-2005, 07:58 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by shepsan
You may not believe this but, since I drove away from the dealer (Bell Acura) in January 2005, I have not seen a single 2005 RL where I live in Sun City West. In fact, I have not seen another RL anywhere in the NW Valley.
Except at the dealers in Shreveport and Birmingham, I've noticed only two (2) on the road since June when I purchased mine...and that's been in Birmingham.

In my current daily commute through the Mississippi outback, I'm noticing a good number of BMW's of all stripes, Jags, Mercedes', Infinitys, Hummers (yuk) and Lexus'. No RL's.
Old 12-23-2005, 08:48 AM
Instructor

Shepsan, I've seen a fair number here in the Northeast Valley, but more in Seattle where our RL is. Must be the Awd feature that attracts more buyers in the northern latitudes, although the sh-awd aspect really makes it a great car for any latitude. We get over to Peoria in the NW valley from time to time to go to the ballpark so will keep our eyes peeled for your RL.

The itch to get a new car is a "problem" many of us face and unless one is going to change the class or type of car, I still maintain there is not a better all around lux/sport sedan out there. One might change to go to a Suv, coupe, sports car, etc. but probably not for another lux/sport sedan. Some may consider it but in the final analysis I suspect few actually pull that trigger.
Old 12-23-2005, 10:59 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 997 Likes on 531 Posts
I've seen two other RL's up here in a city of 1 million. You can usually spot them by looking for drivers with big smiles on their faces.
Old 12-23-2005, 11:12 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My neighbor just bought one. I saw her driving it when I went out this morning.
Old 12-23-2005, 11:52 AM
Advanced

San Antonio here I too, have only seen two other RL's besides mine in the 6 months I have owned the car I told the wife the other day that I like it like that. Makes the car stick out more, and yes I get alot of looks Merry Christmas everyone