Moving on

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2012, 10:57 AM
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
Unhappy Moving on

I ordered a new 2013 RDX AWD Tech on Friday and I will be trading in my 05 RL. By far my favorite car so far. But it was just about out of warranty and I wanted something with more room and better gas mileage.

The new RDX is a very nice vechicle.
Old 04-09-2012, 11:10 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 7,247 Likes on 4,858 Posts
Congrats! I like the new styling of the RDX. Saw one this past Saturday, very nice!

What are you getting for the RL if you don't mind sharing?
Old 04-09-2012, 11:13 AM
Drifting

Received 103 Likes on 79 Posts
congrats! Did they have them on the lot to test drive already?

I have only driven an RDX as a loaner.. I had one twice.... I was able to get a ton of seat time in one of them.. recently, it was probably a 2011 model... We used it all weekend...

I felt the RDX was a little rough in the acceleration.... meaning the turbo woudl spool up and then it would give a rush of power.... but it certainly was no slouch. ON the freeway, I swear that thing flat out hauled....

for my family of 5 I think an RDX would be too small to haul all our stuff for our big trips.... but it certainly is more practical than most sedans... I'll be anxious to read your reviews/updates if you choose to post some here...

the RDX will be a lot different than the RL... but you still will be driving a great car. Some of the tech will be far better. better nav screen... streaming/wireless BT .... backup camera.. stuff that an 05 didn't have... the new nav screens are really nice on the Acuras... vs our older/grainy screens.

i wonder if there is a computer chip upgradefor the RDX?? i used to have a turbo charged vehicle.. and there are often times companies that will sell ECU upgrades that will let you crank up the boost to make even more power..
Old 04-09-2012, 11:22 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,041 Likes on 846 Posts
Congrats, What kind of trade numbers did they throw at you?
Old 04-09-2012, 11:52 AM
2012 Cadillac CTS-V Coupe

Received 95 Likes on 66 Posts
Congrats. I agree with another poster's comment on the previous gen RDXs. Nice vehicle, but the acceleration wasn't linear. While it's to be expected with a turbo, the spool-up seemed more pronounced.
Old 04-09-2012, 12:08 PM
Torch & Pitchfork Posse

Received 1,806 Likes on 793 Posts
The OP stated he purchased a 2013 RDX.

It is a different animal than the 1st generation RDX.

I have not driven one, but from what I am reading it is much more luxury oriented and less sport. It has the 3.5 V6 with cylinder deactivation and the new tranny. Smoother, more refined, more HP and still better mpg. It does drop SHAWD for Honda's AWD system.

It is also larger (as is the CRX it is based upon), reportedly much more quiet, compliant and not the raucous 'busy' ride of the 1st generation.

I am watching it as a second vehicle to my RL as it may be more refined and comfortable and with sufficient space. It also matches up with most of the RLs tech and surpasses it with a fewer newer features.

I may wait until I see the next MDX before deciding, but the point is, it will be less a change from an RL to a 2013 RDX than the change would be from the RL to the < 2012 RDX.

OP: I look forward to your thoughts on the new RDX being a current RL owner. They are not comparable vehicles, but curious to your thoughts as an RL owner for some time.

Last edited by TampaRLX-SH; 04-09-2012 at 12:12 PM.
Old 04-09-2012, 01:16 PM
Instructor

Correct, As mentioned above I am getting the 2013 RDX which is completely different than the previous RDX which I did not like at all. I spent about an hour test driving in and playing with it and I really liked it. It drove great and was very comfortable.

If you have ever driven the old RDX throw everything you recall out as this is completely different.

As far as a full compare I will have to wait until my is built and delivered in about 2 weeks. But my initial impressions are very good. Tech wise it has more than my RL. Interior fit and finish is very nice as comparable to the RL. Little things are missing like the spilt center armrest, lumbar adjustments for the passenger seat, stuff like that. Door trim material seems better in the RL but still really nice in the RDX.

I hit something on the highway about 6 weeks ago and cracked the front bumper cover on the 05 RL. So that will need replaced. Other than that the car is in very good shape. It has 95k on it and still has 5k left on the warranty. Tires have maybe 5k on them as they are about 6 to 8 months old. They offered 10.5K at first then came back with 11.5k after I said no way to the 10.5k. KBB trade in values that I looked up were between 10.5 and 12.5 so….

On the RDX. They warned me right away that the price for at least the next 6 months is MSRP I kept my mouth shut and played the game. As we started talking numbers they said MSRP plus any accessory at cost (which ended up being the same prices listed on the web site???). I said no way. They added in splash guards and all weather mats and MSRP. I still said no and said I will have to come back in 6 months. At this point he told me to hang out and he went away for 15 minutes. He came back with 1k off with the free accessories listed above. I told him to throw in the cargo mat for free and signed the papers.

So far it sounds like I got the most off MSRP from what I have been reading on this site. 1k off plus about 350-400 in free accessories. Could I have gotten more….I don’t know. If I would have waited for a few months maybe but when I see a new toy I just have to have it unless it is completely unreasonable plus the RL was coming up on the end of its warranty.

I will truly miss the RL once it is gone. But with a little one on the way and gas prices looking in the $5+ range this summer on the east coast. I need more room and better fuel eco. I was always planning on getting an MDX but being that it has the same fuel eco as the RL I went with the new RDX.

Last edited by jfarabaugh; 04-09-2012 at 01:29 PM.
Old 04-09-2012, 01:39 PM
Suzuka Master

Great info, thanks for sharing.
Old 04-09-2012, 01:40 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,613 Likes on 2,193 Posts
I like the new RDX, too. It looks good. Acura finally listened to its customers and put a V6 in it instead of a peaky turbo.

Good choice!
Old 04-09-2012, 05:03 PM

Originally Posted by jfarabaugh
Correct, As mentioned above I am getting the 2013 RDX which is completely different than the previous RDX which I did not like at all. I spent about an hour test driving in and playing with it and I really liked it. It drove great and was very comfortable.

If you have ever driven the old RDX throw everything you recall out as this is completely different.

As far as a full compare I will have to wait until my is built and delivered in about 2 weeks. But my initial impressions are very good. Tech wise it has more than my RL. Interior fit and finish is very nice as comparable to the RL. Little things are missing like the spilt center armrest, lumbar adjustments for the passenger seat, stuff like that. Door trim material seems better in the RL but still really nice in the RDX.

I hit something on the highway about 6 weeks ago and cracked the front bumper cover on the 05 RL. So that will need replaced. Other than that the car is in very good shape. It has 95k on it and still has 5k left on the warranty. Tires have maybe 5k on them as they are about 6 to 8 months old. They offered 10.5K at first then came back with 11.5k after I said no way to the 10.5k. KBB trade in values that I looked up were between 10.5 and 12.5 so….

On the RDX. They warned me right away that the price for at least the next 6 months is MSRP I kept my mouth shut and played the game. As we started talking numbers they said MSRP plus any accessory at cost (which ended up being the same prices listed on the web site???). I said no way. They added in splash guards and all weather mats and MSRP. I still said no and said I will have to come back in 6 months. At this point he told me to hang out and he went away for 15 minutes. He came back with 1k off with the free accessories listed above. I told him to throw in the cargo mat for free and signed the papers.

So far it sounds like I got the most off MSRP from what I have been reading on this site. 1k off plus about 350-400 in free accessories. Could I have gotten more….I don’t know. If I would have waited for a few months maybe but when I see a new toy I just have to have it unless it is completely unreasonable plus the RL was coming up on the end of its warranty.

I will truly miss the RL once it is gone. But with a little one on the way and gas prices looking in the $5+ range this summer on the east coast. I need more room and better fuel eco. I was always planning on getting an MDX but being that it has the same fuel eco as the RL I went with the new RDX.
Your trade numbers are similar to mine. My RL had 96K miles and was going to come off of warranty in 4K miles.

Initially they offered me $10K. I almost walked out. They said they had to play with the numbers because a friend extended a GM employee discount and I also got a conquest discount. They said because of those discounts they couldn't show any more on paper. So the papers show I paid $50K for the Caddy, and they gave me $14K on the trade for the RL. In reality the numbers came out to $48K on the Caddy and around $12K for the RL.

As for the RDX, I knew they were different. I was just commenting on the previous gen.

I wonder why they opted to not unclude SH-AWD.

Nonethless, enjoy the new vehicle and the impending new addition to your family.
Old 04-09-2012, 06:13 PM
Torch & Pitchfork Posse

Not to get too off topic, but I suspect Acura dropped SHAWD on the new RDX in favor of the Honda AWD option to save weight. The RDX is supposed to be class leading HP/MPG combo for the segment. The weight of SHAWD would likely negate the benefit of the V6's cylinder deactivation for efficiency. The Honda AWD system is lighter if not as slick as SHAWD. Further with the new RDX tuned for more comfort & luxury the loss of torque vectoring AWD may have been a reasonable sacrifice.

I expect SHAWD will return when the RDX gets a SH-SHAWD option in a year or two. Perhaps exceeding the RL(X) estimates of 30/30/30.

In fact I expect SH-SHAWD will replace the conventional / mechanical setup once it is launched and introduced via the RL(X) and NSX. I would predict it will be available following them as an option on the next MDX, TL(X) and also option on the RDX. Whether it will be cost effective on the ILX will be a few years out, but ultimately it will replace SHAWD as we currently know it.
Old 04-10-2012, 08:06 AM
Safety Car

Received 312 Likes on 198 Posts
CONGRATS ON YOUR NEW RDX - DON'T BEAT YOURSELF UP ON THE NUMBERS/COST.

If you are happy with the deal, then enjoy your RDX.
Old 04-26-2012, 01:38 PM
Instructor

Picked the new girl up last night and it was hard to hand over the key Fobs to the RL.
The RDX is very sexy is the Red Pearl. I only got to drive it for about 15 minutes so far as it is my wife’s car as it goes with the little one on the way. So far I am very happy on my choice as it drives very well. I will put about 60 miles on it tonight and will have a few hours to play with the new tech on it. I will post back my thoughts.
Old 04-30-2012, 02:16 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 85 Likes on 37 Posts
Congrats on your new RDX, please be sure to post some pics once you get it.
Old 04-30-2012, 04:45 PM

[QUOTE=jfarabaugh;13732231]Picked the new girl up last night and it was hard to hand over the key Fobs to the RL.
QUOTE]

I felt the same way.
Old 05-02-2012, 09:53 PM
Instructor

I am still very happy with my choice to move on. The RL uses better materials inside but the RDX is in no way shabby.
One big difference is the headlights. The RL low beams had a very distinct cutoff but the RDX low beams seem to go on forever. I am finding that I dont even use the highbeams.
I am also am enjoying better gas mileage as I usually got around 18.6 MPG with 50/50 city/highway ans now I am seeing around 22 MPG
Some pics

Old 05-02-2012, 10:02 PM
Suzuka Master

sharp looking ride.
Old 05-02-2012, 10:22 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 22,792 Likes on 13,976 Posts
Congrats!
Old 05-02-2012, 11:10 PM
Senior Moderator

Sweet car! I wonder if the headlight effect is due to the higher position?

I want to know about the interior mostly. How does it compare to the RL? My second interest would be the power/handling. Not really how it compares to the RL, but more against what you expect from a CUV.
Old 05-02-2012, 11:31 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by oo7spy
Sweet car! I wonder if the headlight effect is due to the higher position?

I want to know about the interior mostly. How does it compare to the RL? My second interest would be the power/handling. Not really how it compares to the RL, but more against what you expect from a CUV.
Having been in both, I would say it's a bit of a step down from RL to RDX in regards to the interior. Not saying the RDX is ...just saying it feels less refined IMO than the RL.

Old 05-02-2012, 11:35 PM
Senior Moderator

I would figure so but am looking for a more quantitative measurement. If the RL is a 10 and a CR-V EL-X is a 5, where does the RDX fall?

You can change the scale if need be.
Old 05-02-2012, 11:46 PM
Senior Moderator

I would figure so but am looking for a more quantitative measurement. If the RL is a 10 and a CR-V EL-X is a 5, where does the RDX fall?

You can change the scale if need be.
Probably a 7. We considered the RDX before settling on the MINI Countryman. While the interior is okay in the Acura, it didn't blow me away either. Not hating on it...so, no flame-wars, please.
The following users liked this post:
oo7spy (05-03-2012)
Old 05-02-2012, 11:47 PM
Senior Moderator

Comparatively, I thought the GLK and Q5 had better interiors than the RDX.
Old 05-03-2012, 01:17 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 76 Likes on 64 Posts
Does the RDX have HIDs? I read somewhere on the RDX side that the new RDX doesn't come with HIDs anymore and use a halogen projector.
Old 05-03-2012, 09:05 AM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by Yumcha
Not hating on it...so, no flame-wars, please.
I gotcha. I don't flame here like Ramblings unless you run around bashing the RL when you don't even own one.
Old 05-03-2012, 09:59 AM
Senior Moderator

I gotcha. I don't flame here like Ramblings unless you run around bashing the RL when you don't even own one.
Hey, I'm one of the few who loves the RL. Well, the prior generation...I don't mind the new one with the beak...but, the previous gen had me at hello.
Old 05-03-2012, 12:26 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by Yumcha
Hey, I'm one of the few who loves the RL. Well, the prior generation...I don't mind the new one with the beak...but, the previous gen had me at hello.
Sorry, the "you" was a general person pronoun, not actually you.

I gotcha. I don't flame here like Ramblings unless people run around bashing the RL when they don't even own one. :wink:
Fixed to convey accurate intention.
Old 05-03-2012, 01:49 PM
Suzuka Master

LoL, I'm glad you clarified... I was reading that like damn cut Yumcha some slack before you anger Ron-A
Old 05-03-2012, 05:54 PM
Cajun Gumbo Man

Received 55 Likes on 41 Posts
Im very happy with our Japan made Acura's (07 RDX Turbo and 04 RL)....no thanks to American made Acura's from ALLAHbama....
Old 05-03-2012, 07:21 PM
Senior Moderator

Which Acura is that? The Ridgeline, Oddessy, or Pilot?

It's also amazing that your RDX was built in Marysville, Ohio, Japan. I have never heard of that place.

I can't tell what is more astounding, your ignorance or insinuated bigotry.
Old 05-03-2012, 08:27 PM
Torch & Pitchfork Posse

The 2013 RDX is assembled in East Liberty, Ohio.

Very nice. I am contemplating one as a second vehicle to my RL. I want something that I can take the kayaks and bikes out, but the RL has me spoiled. The RDX would be a nice compromise and complement to the RL. Considering the better efficiency, I would likely drive it more than weekends only.

I like your color combo and would get the same (reminds me of my former RRP TL), adding the roof rack. I am afraid to drive one, because I'd rather wait for year 2. But I look forward to following your updates (been perusing the RDX forum - but seems the turbo 4 fans are anxious to beat on it).

It has a nice balance of utility, sporty looks, Acura luxury / features, efficiency and as advertised 'sized right'. I was not a fan of the former RDX as it was too busy to ride, noisy and a bit too funky styling wise. I must be one of the people Acura redesigned the RDX to appeal. But I always like understated styling and good proportions over flash and verve. And I am huge on refinement, especially NVH and I read good things about this with the 2013 RDX.

Enjoy the ride!
Old 05-03-2012, 08:49 PM
Torch & Pitchfork Posse

Originally Posted by ichi d
Does the RDX have HIDs? I read somewhere on the RDX side that the new RDX doesn't come with HIDs anymore and use a halogen projector.
HIDs come with the RDX Technology Package.