More of a detail question..how do you guys proceed?

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2012, 01:24 PM
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Red face More of a detail question..how do you guys proceed?

Yesterday i fully detailed my interior and i use Lexol leather conditioner and Vinylex on the plastics,vinyl and rubber.Ok here comes my Q.What do u use on the door panels since they dont seem to have any leather on them.The top perforated part,the arm rest and the bottom map pocket area seem to be made of 3 diff material,or not??The leather cond seem to work fine on the armrest but not on the rest.It is hard to be removed from top and bottom area,but Vinylex seem to work great there,comes off very easy,especially the bottom part.Also the back pocket part of the front seats is diff material,leather cond dont seem to work well there,but Vinylex does.Same on the long strips on both sides of the center armrest and shifter.

What do u guys use on all of those parts since the only "real" leather is on the seats???Thanks
Old 08-23-2012, 01:48 PM
Torch & Pitchfork Posse

Received 1,806 Likes on 793 Posts
The door armrests, door handle covers and the perforated panel section are real leather.

All mass produced automobiles coat the leather with a thin vinyl sealer. It protects the leather dye and many manufacturers use UV inhibitors in the vinyl sealer. Still it is best to use leather cleaners and protectors. Perforated leather in particular has ability to soak up leather treatment oils to keep the leather pliable. Using harsh cleaners may strip the vinyle sealer, expose the leather dye and strip the leather of it's color treatment.

I use Lexol cleaner and conditioners periodically, to remove grime and stains. But when no cleaning is really needed or after a cleaning, I use Aerospace 303. It can be used on all interior surfaces (including leather). It is not oily, glossy or slimy. It leaves a matte finish and protects the vinyl 'skin' of the leather, inhibiting grime, denim dye transfer and even minor scuffs. Aeospace 303 also has UV inhibitors.

My driver's seat has developed a typical leather sheen or patina. I have even touched up a few spots where the leather dye did wear, and re-sealed with a leather / vinyl spray protectant. But the remainder of my interior has remained factory new.
The following 3 users liked this post by TampaRLX-SH:
253RL (08-23-2012), BuLtL00 (08-23-2012), projektvertx (08-24-2012)
Old 08-23-2012, 02:47 PM
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Thanks for the input,Tampa!What about the bottom map pocket area of the door and the seatbacks?What kind of material are they?

About that 303 product,i wanted to try it this time,but was kinda expensive 16oz/$15.I'll give it a try next time,guess is not wrong to switch products.BTW don't get me wrong,my interior is close to new even after 6years/85k miles and i'd like to keep it that way.
Old 08-23-2012, 04:58 PM
Torch & Pitchfork Posse

Received 1,806 Likes on 793 Posts
The door map pocket doors and the panels on the backside panels of the seatbacks (as seen from the rear seat) are vinyl. The center console armrests are also vinyl.

The bottle of Aeospace 303 I bought 2.5 years ago is still a third full. I use it quaterly on my interior and the engine bay covers. It goes a long way, and you can use sparingly.

There will always be critics about how well / poor the leather wears, but I have to say the RL interior materials are superior to any car I have owned. The dash, door edge tops, center console, etc all show no wear. My TL dash was cloudy and filmy minutes after driving off the lot.
Old 08-23-2012, 05:17 PM
Instructor

Received 20 Likes on 9 Posts
Another great product that i use very sparingly is Poorboy's APC. a 10/1 mixture in a spray bottle will be perfect as a cleaner of all interior parts, and i personally use Smartwax dressing on the dash and non leather items and then the Smartwax leather also on the rest of interior.

But Poorboys APC is some awesome stuff to have in your cabinet. I have the Smartwax APC also but its got nothing on Poorboys stuff.

Clicky for linky
Old 08-24-2012, 10:53 AM

Received 612 Likes on 490 Posts
Originally Posted by TampaRL

There will always be critics about how well / poor the leather wears, but I have to say the RL interior materials are superior to any car I have owned. The dash, door edge tops, center console, etc all show no wear. My TL dash was cloudy and filmy minutes after driving off the lot.
Agreed. The leather on my 1G RL and 2G RL is superior to what I see in my dad's LS430. He used to work in his uncle's leather store when he was younger and agreed that the RL's leather seems to have a higher end/quality feel to it.
Old 08-24-2012, 04:54 PM
2005 RL

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
TampaRL, are you sure the door armrests are leather? Mine look like the center console arm rest(s), vinyl and wrinkled. I am planning to have both door panels removed by my dealer, then use a loaner to take them to a local upholstery shop to have them, (and the center armrest pads), reupholstered with leather.