Marketing, Partnering and why we are stuck with the RL like it is

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2007, 01:25 PM
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Marketing, Partnering and why we are stuck with the RL like it is

I think that Acura is not actively seeking new customers. I think that it remembers its heyday when the accord reigned supreme and it figures that day will return without much work. Just give the cars more doohickeys and thingamajigs and Honda/Acura will be back in 1st place. I also personally think that they are wrong, but since I’m not part of their brain trust, my opinion/vote doesn’t count.

Lexus IS actively seeking more and more customers

http://www.sema.org/Main/ArticleDeta...ontentID=58314

That article is from the latest SEMA newsletter and a small portion is quoted below

As part of its first official participation with the SEMA Show, Lexus will debut an all-new performance accessory line at a noon press conference, Tuesday, October 30, during the 2007 Show.

"The SEMA Show is the premier automotive specialty products trade event in the world, and Lexus is thrilled to participate this year,” says Brian Bolain, national Lexus interactive and automotive events manager. "SEMA is the perfect venue for the launch of our new performance line, to display our performance-oriented project vehicles and showcase our all-new Lexus IS F high-performance sport sedan.”

The press conference will be in the Lexus exhibit tent located outside, adjacent to the Central Hall of the Las Vegas Convention Center. The exhibit tent sits next to the Motor Trend Proving Ground powered by Lexus, where the 400-plus horsepower performance-tuned Lexus IS F will be available for test drives. Drives will be offered in 15-minute intervals Tuesday through Thursday on the proving ground track. Scott Pruett, Lexus' 2007 Grand Am Rolex 24 Hours of Daytona champion, will be on hand to lend some advice to those ready to take their turn behind the wheel of the 5L, V8-powered IS F.

IMHO the next RL will have some whiz-bang techno toys and maybe a bit more horsepower, but it is what its going to be any and not any flag ship that has ground breaking sheet metal and performance is not on the horizon.

Now some of the sales staff that regularly visit this site may have a better view based on insider information, but so far any dreams of making the RL a performance over the top machine will have to come from private vendors who spend hours fitting and tweaking.

Toyota used to have a racing/performance part catalog that had factory parts to make the family grocery getter a mean street machine. Acura uses its user base of enthusiasts that contribute to Sports Car Magazine. Honda/Acura has no need to provide high performance pieces and parts since they already rely on their purchasing public to provide anything past what they (Honda) are willing to to do as a baseline

Again IMHO if you want a flagship Acura then the sales figures have to drop to 50 per month instead of 550. You have to say “I won’t buy another Acura until you give me a MB/BMW/Lexus like super car. When the sales figures are so low that they can’t get them off their lots even with a $6000 incentive, THEN you will see Acura make a change.

If the RL is to become more a sports car (or available to be a sports car with specific options) then Acura has to partner with sports car accessory companies that actively promote their mutual connections. I think that Honda/Acura is too greedy (wow that could be a great pun) or smug to do just that.

My as always long winded
Old 09-28-2007, 02:28 PM
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
One thing to remember, with the growth for Toyota and Lexus their quality has slipped, even they admit it and are now trying to go back to better quality.

Can Honda market better, absolutely, I think we have all said that for months, if not years like we have been saying on the NSX newsgroup for about 15 years.
The RL does not need more tech things, etc., it IS a wonderful car, just marketing.
Old 09-28-2007, 04:44 PM
AcurAdmirer

Received 352 Likes on 164 Posts
Originally Posted by kirbyflorida
One thing to remember, with the growth for Toyota and Lexus their quality has slipped, even they admit it and are now trying to go back to better quality.

Can Honda market better, absolutely, I think we have all said that for months, if not years like we have been saying on the NSX newsgroup for about 15 years.
The RL does not need more tech things, etc., it IS a wonderful car, just marketing.
I agree, and I'll add that I don't think Honda has the slightest intention of making the RL more of a sports car. That's not what they have positioned it as, and it's not what Honda does. Nor do they show any inclination to make it more of a performance car.

IMO, they don't see any real reason to compete with M-B, BMW and Lexus, especially in the "super-car" department. That's a really expensive and resource-intensive activity, and Honda is too conservative for that kind of nonsense. They want to make nice, comfortable, safe, reliable, capable, satisfying, fuel-efficient cars. More like Volvo and Saab than BMW and M-B.

There's nothing wrong with that, but for anyone expecting glitz and glamour, I don't think Honda/Acura is the place to look for it. What you WILL get is a nice, comfortable, safe, reliable, capable, satisfying, fuel-efficient car. Kinda like the current RL.

But, after all, who really needs an IS-F or C-63?

Old 09-29-2007, 09:39 AM
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
What? No intentions!

Originally Posted by Mike_TX
I agree, and I'll add that I don't think Honda has the slightest intention of making the RL more of a sports car. That's not what they have positioned it as, and it's not what Honda does. Nor do they show any inclination to make it more of a performance car.

IMO, they don't see any real reason to compete with M-B, BMW and Lexus, especially in the "super-car" department. That's a really expensive and resource-intensive activity, and Honda is too conservative for that kind of nonsense. They want to make nice, comfortable, safe, reliable, capable, satisfying, fuel-efficient cars. More like Volvo and Saab than BMW and M-B.

There's nothing wrong with that, but for anyone expecting glitz and glamour, I don't think Honda/Acura is the place to look for it. What you WILL get is a nice, comfortable, safe, reliable, capable, satisfying, fuel-efficient car. Kinda like the current RL. But, after all, who really needs an IS-F or C-63?.

Given that the Acura NSX epitomized the notional concept of the intelligent man's "supercar" and given the fact that Honda spend tons of cash supporting teams in F1 and IRL racing your argument leaves me cold...A rarity inded since you're usually spot on with your assessmnets Mike.

I'm beginning to suspect that Honda/Acura may be simply inept when it comes to establishing and maintaining a performance model line.
Old 09-29-2007, 06:32 PM
10th Gear

RL - not a sports/sporty car, it's an "intelligent man's" luxury car

RL - would not target a SEMA audience, it's an "old man's" car

RL - inexpensive, understated, fully loaded, daily transportation

There is nothing "super" about the NSX

that's my .02
Old 09-29-2007, 06:42 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by Imolas54
RL - not a sports/sporty car, it's an "intelligent man's" luxury car

RL - would not target a SEMA audience, it's an "old man's" car

RL - inexpensive, understated, fully loaded, daily transportation

There is nothing "super" about the NSX

that's my .02
Wow, could not diagree with you more on many of your comments.

Have you ever driven a mid engine aluminium car, AND has super reliability.

I have been in all modern Ferraris and the NSX is still so good, it is amazing.
Not as fast or sounds as cool but great(super) in MANY ways.
RL too but I do not want to type all this stuff, let the others do it.
Old 09-29-2007, 09:51 PM
AcurAdmirer

Received 352 Likes on 164 Posts
Originally Posted by Shotgun
Given that the Acura NSX epitomized the notional concept of the intelligent man's "supercar" and given the fact that Honda spend tons of cash supporting teams in F1 and IRL racing your argument leaves me cold...A rarity inded since you're usually spot on with your assessmnets Mike.

I'm beginning to suspect that Honda/Acura may be simply inept when it comes to establishing and maintaining a performance model line.
Well, the comment had to do with making the RL into a sports car. I stand by my belief Honda isn't going to turn their luxury car into a sports car. Now, if we're taking about making it more of a performance-luxury car, there is some belief they might do that. I personally don't think they will, but many do. But a sports car - nah.

The NSX was a limited-production car, and of course has almost nothing to do with the RL. Neither, really, does Honda's support of F1 and IRL teams. Honda involves itself in racing for basically two reasons - one is advertising and the other is engineering and development that can make its way into production line cars.

But I appreciate your saying I'm usually spot on!

Old 09-29-2007, 10:17 PM
10th Gear

Originally Posted by kirbyflorida
Wow, could not diagree with you more on many of your comments.

Have you ever driven a mid engine aluminium car, AND has super reliability.

I have been in all modern Ferraris and the NSX is still so good, it is amazing.
Not as fast or sounds as cool but great(super) in MANY ways.
RL too but I do not want to type all this stuff, let the others do it.
being an pervious owner of a 93 and 00 NSX, there is nothing "super" about the nsx, it's a sweet car, but nothing compared to a modern ferrari 360 & up.... I guess if you want to start talking about it's a 16 year old and how it still holds up, you can make an arugement. The "super" reliability i totally agree with, and i think it's a strong selling point for the nsx. It sure isn't the exhaust/engine note....
Old 09-30-2007, 07:13 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by Imolas54
being an pervious owner of a 93 and 00 NSX, there is nothing "super" about the nsx, it's a sweet car, but nothing compared to a modern ferrari 360 & up.... I guess if you want to start talking about it's a 16 year old and how it still holds up, you can make an arugement. The "super" reliability i totally agree with, and i think it's a strong selling point for the nsx. It sure isn't the exhaust/engine note....
Remember you are talking soooo much more dollars for a 360 on up it is not even close.
Also depends on what you call super, we could discuss for pages, not for me.

Try a $8,000 belt change every 15,000 miles on a 550, just crazy.
Old 09-30-2007, 11:59 AM
10th Gear

super service for the super car well not really, don't dig the 12 cylinders, not even this one that my buddy's got.... http://www.wheelfanatics.com/599/6.JPG