Low pitch sound while opening the trunk

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2008 | 09:47 AM
2007 BMW 550i sleeps in

Question Low pitch sound while opening the trunk

Hi guys,
Just noticed it yesterday, while driving from supermarket - heard some cranking sound from trunk area (low pitch not loud less than 1 sec) sort of coning from rear suspension (trick, trick) from time to time, especially on the bumps.
Stopped the car pushed on the trunk (right and left) - couldn't reproduce it, notise went away.
I was really surprised, then I got back to garage, and was ready to unload some groceries, opened the trunk, and heard this noise again. Closed it, reopened the trunk, here it is... Investigated, i comes from the right (bar area) - hard to tell up or down when trunk is opened 10cm or so (always the same area). If you opening the trunk @ normal pace, you'd always here it.
If I'd open it very s-l-o-w, sometimes it cannot be reproduced. Again, this is low pitch, not loud, less then a sec noise, from trunk opening (btw cannot make it sound while car is moving anymore...), Did any of you guys had similar problems, any in-house solutions?

I'm lazy setting appoitment with the dealer for such a small problem, I'd prefer to fix it myself if it's possible, otherwise leave it to the dealer until my next scheduled maintenance appoitment.

Oh, forgot to mentioned it is 2008 RL Tech.
Old 07-14-2008 | 02:07 PM
Senior Moderator

i'd be careful with the trunk. My TL had squeaky springs and the tech told me that the springs inside that rotate are loaded very heavily and if knocked out of place, then can take off a few fingers. There is a special honda spring puller that they need to use.
Old 07-14-2008 | 02:19 PM
2007 BMW 550i sleeps in

Originally Posted by csmeance
i'd be careful with the trunk. My TL had squeaky springs and the tech told me that the springs inside that rotate are loaded very heavily and if knocked out of place, then can take off a few fingers. There is a special honda spring puller that they need to use.
Thanks a lot for the reply. Yes, agree, springs diassembly sounds very dangerous to me. I've been thinking in terms of additives - oil, solidol, etc... if one part is rubbing against the other - at least that's how it sounds from this end.
Old 07-14-2008 | 02:51 PM
Burning Brakes

I agree, be very careful with springs. A few years ago I was putting a trampoline together (was doing it by myself even though the instructions had all kinds of warnings against this...but who reads instructions?). It has 72 springs that hold the mat in place and when I was installing them, one slipped out of my hand, tearing a nice hole in my other hand and landing me in the emergency room (with a very sarcastic triage nurse). It healed fine but an inch or two either way and who knows what damamge it could have done.

LL