Light Scattering across rear windshield after tinting

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2007, 08:43 AM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Light Scattering across rear windshield after tinting

Basically, after tinting RL with Insulatir IR40 full ceramic, i am facing trouble during night-tme driving. The lights from other vehicles behind me, now, gets scattered and spreads vertically across the embedded antennas (infamous grill) on rear windshield such that instead of seeing a 'round' lightsource with some extensions to it, i see a vertical line (with light scattered horizontally) with 'round' lightsource as the center. Its a minor nuisance when there are only one or two cars behind me, however, is alarming when greater number of vehicles show up.

Before tinting the car, i do not recall such behaviour. The tint application is uniform: no bubbles, no scratches, no surface uneveniness etc.

I am wondering if other folks have had similar experience? or i am just paranoid?
Old 06-07-2007, 10:00 AM
AcurAdmirer

Received 352 Likes on 164 Posts
You'll usually see that with any tint, since the tint material just cannot hug the little wires closely enough to avoid it. I am not crazy about it, but it's a fair tradeoff for the benefits of tint.

If you haven't had your tint job long, it may still settle down some. It takes quite awhile to do so, but if you leave it out in the sun a few days it will speed up the process.

Old 06-07-2007, 11:29 AM
Pro

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts
For you guys in very sunny and hot climes I understand tinting, I lived in El Paso for a while. However, tinting is pretty silly and an actual hindrance to vision anywhere else. I also agree with everything Mike said.
Old 06-07-2007, 12:35 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Mike_TX
You'll usually see that with any tint, since the tint material just cannot hug the little wires closely enough to avoid it. I am not crazy about it, but it's a fair tradeoff for the benefits of tint.

If you haven't had your tint job long, it may still settle down some. It takes quite awhile to do so, but if you leave it out in the sun a few days it will speed up the process.

interesting!! I picked up the phone and called my tinting guy so bitch about this issue.... to my surprise, he said that none of his customers have ever complained about such an issue!!!! i think i am the only one who has gone locco....
Old 06-07-2007, 12:49 PM
2012 Cadillac CTS-V Coupe

Received 95 Likes on 66 Posts
Originally Posted by RL06tech
For you guys in very sunny and hot climes I understand tinting, I lived in El Paso for a while. However, tinting is pretty silly and an actual hindrance to vision anywhere else. I also agree with everything Mike said.
I don't agree. It gets hot here in the Chicago area in the summer, and with the ebony interior every little bit helps. I also think it adds to the overall look of the car. I've gotten quite a few compliments on mine.
Old 06-07-2007, 02:37 PM
Instructor

I was hoping that'd be the case. However, its 8 days and counting (with daytime temp around 88F)...
Old 06-07-2007, 02:41 PM
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
I have a ceramic tint in my RL and don't have any issues during the day or night time. I had FormulaOne Pinnalce series installed in my car, not sure if the brand makes a difference. Maybe the visability will get better when it cures. The tint place state that it takes anywhere from 3-5 days.
Old 06-07-2007, 04:43 PM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have a 'dye tint' by Llumar, and it does the same thing. Headlights get spread horizontally across my rear window in lines. I don't even notice it anymore. ..and I agree, it's a small price to pay for the benefits I get of a cooler cabin. (Especially with a black on black car)
Old 06-07-2007, 04:44 PM
AcurAdmirer

Originally Posted by calvin_hobbes
I was hoping that'd be the case. However, its 8 days and counting (with daytime temp around 88F)...
I've been told it can take a couple of months for the film to totally, completely, dry and cure.

But I've had a number of tinted cars, and they all had the "light scatter" you describe to one degree or another. I just don't think you can completely get around it. But you'll get used to it.

Old 06-07-2007, 07:47 PM
Instructor

I've been told it can take a couple of months for the film to totally, completely, dry and cure.

But you'll get used to it.
Thanks for the advice Mike... Since tinting is irreversible, I guess i have no choice but to get used to it...
Old 06-07-2007, 09:05 PM
AcurAdmirer

Thanks for the advice Mike... Since tinting is irreversible, I guess i have no choice but to get used to it...
Irreversible??? Nope, it can be removed by the same people who applied it! (But they'll charge you!)

Old 06-07-2007, 10:58 PM
Instructor

Irreversible??? Nope, it can be removed by the same people who applied it! (But they'll charge you!)
Guess i learn something new everyday
Old 06-08-2007, 11:08 AM
AcurAdmirer

Guess i learn something new everyday
We all do. LOL.

Really, all they do is get a soapy water solution in behind the film, then slowly work it off the glass. I've known of people doing it themselves, but it can be a lot of work and it's messy.