Least Favorite Thing about your RL

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2014, 04:59 PM
Drifting

Received 591 Likes on 427 Posts
If your car pulls to one side or the other and it was not fixed by an alignment, try rotating your front tires side to side. If that makes it pull the other direction, you know you have a tire problem instead.
Old 06-30-2014, 01:42 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 7,247 Likes on 4,858 Posts
Lol at blaming faulty peripheral equipment on the manufacturer.
Old 06-30-2014, 08:17 PM
Racer

Received 96 Likes on 66 Posts
No dual ac button. Cooled seats could work better. Dated nav screen.

Wiper performance. Tried stock and PIAA inserts, same issue with spraying on the down stroke.
Old 07-01-2014, 01:39 AM
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
The most frustrating thing about my car is transmission hits when switching form P or R to D in hot weather..
Service workers don't know what to do, AT is already rebuilt..
Old 07-06-2014, 07:31 AM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rlerman
View from the side a bit drab. Bulbs going out in dash and the difficulty to replace them. Cheap grade leather on center armrest. All pretty minor.
Ditto.

Add to that the NAV. Not just dated, it is often flat out wrong, calling out rights and showing lefts. And in traffic, that's a very bad thing. Updates didn't work. Dealer reverted the system kept my updated disc... Still fails. Ugly problem. Sometimes, I just fire up the iPhone.

Last edited by Shorton62; 07-06-2014 at 07:33 AM.
Old 07-11-2014, 12:16 AM
3rd Gear

ive only owned mine for a week but my only complaint so far is the vinyl bubble on my drivers door arm rest
Old 07-13-2014, 07:06 AM
Intermediate

I hate the ANC module It buzzes every time the car starts. When you open the door it goes away. to dis-connect it you have to dismantle the trunk..
Old 07-13-2014, 07:13 AM
Senior Moderator

You can disconnect the mics from the map and dome light modules. People have documented it here in the audio sub-forum.
Old 07-16-2014, 12:40 PM
7th Gear

I wish the FM radio included RDS data so you could see the format of the FM station and the song and artist. My '96 Audi had this feature. Also, with XM artist and song information in both the screen and dash top LED display do not scroll to show entire song or artist name. Finally, center console creeks and groans, especially when it's cold.
Old 07-20-2014, 07:59 AM
Racer

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by swake457

- Leather seat material seemed a bit less durable than I would think it should be. My drivers seat developed a tear at about 60K miles and it was still in really good condition overall. I always keep the leather oiled properly. Maybe it was because it's perforated and not solid....
Maybe your "oil" caused the issue from the underside?

All cheap car leather is plasti-coated so there's not much need to oil it. And even if you did it wouldn't do anything as it can't get past the plasticoat on the leather. And probably weaken some stitching over time.

What did you use to "oil" it?
Old 07-20-2014, 08:08 AM
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by pjacobson958
I wish the FM radio included RDS data so you could see the format of the FM station and the song and artist. My '96 Audi had this feature. Also, with XM artist and song information in both the screen and dash top LED display do not scroll to show entire song or artist name. Finally, center console creeks and groans, especially when it's cold.
I had the same problem. Endured it for years and years.

I fixed mine by the simple use of masking tape.

I lifted the center console and cut masking tape length-wise and completely wrapped the silver shifter cluster part where it meets against the piece that you just removed.

Noise is completely gone.
Old 07-29-2014, 10:23 PM
Banned

Received 51 Likes on 43 Posts
2011 RL- Least Favorite Thing

My least favorite thing about my '11 RL Advance, has to be the dated tech. The nav system should've been upgraded in 2009, to the high-res unit in the TL, with the HDD. Also Acura should've brought IDS, and BSI to the RL in 2010, when the ZDX launced with this features.

55k flagship, with worse tech than the 32k ILX.
Old 07-31-2014, 10:57 AM
I Drive Like A Dick 8≈

Received 79 Likes on 66 Posts
I hate how the drivers side wiper only goes 3/4 of the way across the windshield, outdated nav is a bummer but w/e.
Old 03-19-2016, 07:30 PM
2007 LSM KB1 Tech w/CMBS

Received 49 Likes on 43 Posts
Absolutely the worst windshield wiper design ever. I can't imagine being on a trip and an insert shredding and you having to stop to replace the damn thing, especially in the winter. Cold as balls and you're having to use a screwdriver with frozen hands to remove those tiny-ass, non-magnetic screws in the blade so you can change the insert. Fuck that. Plus, the damn things don't clear snow and slush that well. There was even a Service Bulletin issued for that but try to get a dealer to do that on good will. That's right, you get the big "Sucks to be you". Grrrrrr---
Old 03-19-2016, 07:53 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 209 Likes on 168 Posts
Originally Posted by Shorton62
Ditto.

Add to that the NAV. Not just dated, it is often flat out wrong, calling out rights and showing lefts. And in traffic, that's a very bad thing. Updates didn't work. Dealer reverted the system kept my updated disc... Still fails. Ugly problem. Sometimes, I just fire up the iPhone.
I'm really surprised to hear that about your nav. Mine never does that.

I'm also puzzled to read the comment about how awful the wipers are in function and in refill-replacement design. I've never noticed anything especially bad in either regard, and yes, I've changed my own.

If I were to pick on the car, I'll refrain from grousing about the mediocre trunk space, rear seat room and MPG, because I obviously knew about all of those before I bought the car. My only real complaint is that the suspension honestly is not quite up to the best Germans in sophistication. They made the springs and shocks too damn soft to preserve the ride, with the result that the car starts porpoising in high-speed transitions. I was making frequent highway trips and was afraid the thing was going to get me killed, so I put A-Spec springs and struts on it and fixed the handling at the expense of ruining the ride. That chaps my ass a bit. Other than that, my only real complaint is that you have to take off the front bumper to change the headlight bulbs (yes, I know there's an unofficial alternative method, provided that your wrist is a U-joint), but even that pales compared to fixing a Krautmobile. On the whole, I'm damn pleased.

Hell, having written all that, I just now saw this is a revived thread from nearly two years ago. I'm so old, I'm repeating myself.

Last edited by TonyCD; 03-19-2016 at 07:56 PM.
Old 03-19-2016, 10:02 PM

Received 999 Likes on 650 Posts
Only thing that actually bugs me is the autotragic...
Old 03-20-2016, 12:49 AM
Fk no!TheyldstroyEvrthing

Received 226 Likes on 191 Posts
Seconds on the shock & suspension. Car feels floaty. I felt i almost lost control on a highway once too.

Originally Posted by stevieray
Absolutely the worst windshield wiper design ever. I can't imagine being on a trip and an insert shredding and you having to stop to replace the damn thing, especially in the winter. Cold as balls and you're having to use a screwdriver with frozen hands to remove those tiny-ass, non-magnetic screws in the blade so you can change the insert. Fuck that. Plus, the damn things don't clear snow and slush that well. There was even a Service Bulletin issued for that but try to get a dealer to do that on good will. That's right, you get the big "Sucks to be you". Grrrrrr---
Aquapel helps them out a good deal.
Old 03-20-2016, 01:02 AM
Pro

Received 90 Likes on 54 Posts
Honestly other than the bubbly glove box and the rubber covers on the center console arm rest I'm pretty well pleased.

Even mine being an 05 model I have no complaints on the reliability at 159k miles it's perfect..
Old 03-20-2016, 08:45 AM
Senior Moderator

First world problems.
Old 03-20-2016, 09:33 AM
Drifting

Received 591 Likes on 427 Posts
Originally Posted by oo7spy
First world problems.
Still not missing those piece of shit wipers.
Old 03-20-2016, 11:44 AM
Pro

Received 90 Likes on 54 Posts
My wipers are fine? I been using the Honda/Acura wipers and haven't noticed anything wrong with them
Old 03-20-2016, 12:32 PM

Only time my wipers sucked was when they had ice chunks on them in the AM
Old 03-20-2016, 02:15 PM
Cruisin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
my least favorite thing is the curb weight. especially since my other car weighs 2,700 lbs it makes the RL feel like a real pig. no wonder the gas mileage sucks.
Old 03-21-2016, 07:07 PM
Intermediate

Hmm, try reading up on how else to change your blades. Nothing needs to be unscrewed..the blades just slide out and new ones slide in. $10 each and keep the old ones in the trunk as a spair. 5 minute job. I think its easier than notmal assemblies, tbh.

Anyway, my least favorite part has to be that my trunk leaks. Under the plastics where the shocks are are poor welds and seams that rust and leak. Resealing this week. (Seconding the body design)
Other than the above, I have all the same complaints. Gas mileage at 12 mpg city at the top with only a decent 6.6 0-60.
Old 03-22-2016, 07:53 PM
2007 LSM KB1 Tech w/CMBS

Received 49 Likes on 43 Posts
Originally Posted by not_a_doctor
Hmm, try reading up on how else to change your blades. Nothing needs to be unscrewed..the blades just slide out and new ones slide in. $10 each and keep the old ones in the trunk as a spair. 5 minute job. I think its easier than notmal assemblies, tbh.
Quite proficient in changing wiper inserts, thanks for your concern. Been doing it for 45 years. I prefer to have spare blades with fresh inserts ready, I don't like fumbling with those metal spines for the inserts unless I'm around my garage. My whole point is that conventional Honda wiper arms with the "hook" are much easier to deal with in an inclement weather scenario which usually seems to be when a refill disintegrates.

BTW, if your trunk leaks around a weld seam on a rear shock tower it's most likely been hit. Did you run a CarFax or check the service records before you bought it? There has literally been only one other thread on here since 2005 that mentions a trunk leak. Also, you should be getting better than 12 mpg, I get 18-19 mpg combined and 26-27 on the highway. If the previous owner went 155K and hadn't done TB/WP, you're probably justified in cringing about what else may not have been done. Good luck---
Old 03-23-2016, 04:38 PM
Intermediate

Quite proficient in changing wiper inserts, thanks for your concern. Been doing it for 45 years. I prefer to have spare blades with fresh inserts ready, I don't like fumbling with those metal spines for the inserts unless I'm around my garage. My whole point is that conventional Honda wiper arms with the "hook" are much easier to deal with in an inclement weather scenario which usually seems to be when a refill disintegrates.

BTW, if your trunk leaks around a weld seam on a rear shock tower it's most likely been hit. Did you run a CarFax or check the service records before you bought it? There has literally been only one other thread on here since 2005 that mentions a trunk leak. Also, you should be getting better than 12 mpg, I get 18-19 mpg combined and 26-27 on the highway. If the previous owner went 155K and hadn't done TB/WP, you're probably justified in cringing about what else may not have been done. Good luck---
Well, maybe I just have luck with handling wiper inserts, but that probably will run out soon after replying to this thread.

There's no record of any accidents on my recently purchased RL, and I have since taken care of the outstanding maintenance you called out that the previous owner neglected..with the addition of new plugs and a fresh air filter. 12 mpg is very real and now expected in city traffic most days...and to prove I don't drive like I stole it, I get an average of 22.4 highway on cruise control. I will update a relevant thread if any information on that arises.
Below are pictures of the leak which I have since sealed. I suppose built up debris around the area took it's toll, although a previous accident is never out of the question. Thanks for your help.....

Old 03-23-2016, 06:14 PM
Senior Moderator

That's not where the rear strut mounts. It mounts behind the rear seat just below the rear deck.
Old 03-29-2016, 09:54 PM
Lit 🔥 Lifestyle!

Received 35 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally Posted by MrG4Life
I've only had mine for just about 5 months and so far my only peeve is the rear sunshade collapsing down when the car is put in reverse. From what I read here the reason for that is a safety issue.

Actually I lied... I have two peeves lol. I typically drive with one hand on the steering wheel. I like to rest my left elbow on the top of the door panel but the design of it makes it difficult to do that.
all of this, actually.
AND...

i hate that there is no SYNC button for the climate control!

oh...

Originally Posted by knv8
And the MPG's is my other dislike.

Last edited by ValdezQ26; 03-29-2016 at 10:00 PM.
Old 03-29-2016, 11:15 PM
Senior Moderator

They got rid of sync so that you could control the fan speed without going through the nav menu. IMO, you have the lesser of two evils.
Old 04-21-2016, 09:22 AM
2nd Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
pretend leather

Like others I do not think that the RL should have cheap fake leather. I did an un-scientific survey (looking in the windows) and noticed most Acura models have the issue with the center console leather not holding up. My 08 had this problem on the console and driver door checked with Acura and they stated that this is not their problem they did offer some goodwill assistance (so small it was more insulting then helpful) for them to replace with the same junk. Took the car to local auto upholstery shop got all replaced with real leather for 1/4 the dealer price.
The following users liked this post:
RL09 (04-21-2016)
Old 04-22-2016, 07:27 PM
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by swanscn
Like others I do not think that the RL should have cheap fake leather. I did an un-scientific survey (looking in the windows) and noticed most Acura models have the issue with the center console leather not holding up. My 08 had this problem on the console and driver door checked with Acura and they stated that this is not their problem they did offer some goodwill assistance (so small it was more insulting then helpful) for them to replace with the same junk. Took the car to local auto upholstery shop got all replaced with real leather for 1/4 the dealer price.
I wonder how much real leather and in what spots other manufacturers put in their cars of the same class. I know Hyundai Genesis doesn't have real leather everywhere too. Back part of the seats is fake leather for example, same as with RL. Not sure about the center console, though.
Old 04-23-2016, 12:37 PM
Instructor

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
Wish the interior for the radio, climate and the switches light up white, red or blue instead.

And be nice if the arm rest on the door panels had the pockets
Old 04-23-2016, 03:14 PM

Pockets on the door panel armrest?
The following users liked this post:
RL09 (04-23-2016)
Old 04-25-2016, 02:03 PM
Senior Moderator

This is my least favorite thread about the RL.
Old 04-25-2016, 07:38 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 209 Likes on 168 Posts
Originally Posted by thomask
I wonder how much real leather and in what spots other manufacturers put in their cars of the same class. I know Hyundai Genesis doesn't have real leather everywhere too. Back part of the seats is fake leather for example, same as with RL. Not sure about the center console, though.
I was going to say the exact same thing, thank you. I had this argument on another site, in fact. A guy mouthed off that cars in "this class" should have leather on the dash, the armrest and the doors. My question was (and is), what class? These cars listed for $49k and streeted for around $42k. At that price, BMW and Mercedes will sell you a car that's a full size down and/or lacks a litany of features the RL had standard -- and never mind the armrests, a lot of those cars came with plastic SEATS.

BTW, nice line, 007. It's a pretty good note on which to put this topic to rest.
The following 2 users liked this post by TonyCD:
TampaRLX-SH (04-25-2016), teh CL (04-25-2016)
Old 04-29-2016, 10:16 AM
3rd Gear

No Remote start, should have been a standard on this car.
Old 11-08-2016, 05:39 PM

The auto door unlock, if set to 'Park', only unlocks if you place the car in park without the "hand brake'. I push the "hand brake" first then i place it in park. Good habit for a longer life tranny.

So the auto-unlock option doesn't exist for me. I've already built a habit to unlock manually.

2. Visor mirrors flip to open not slide.
Old 11-08-2016, 05:46 PM

Still the autotragic..
Old 11-08-2016, 05:51 PM
Senior Moderator

What if you change the unlock to a different setting like when the engine shuts off?
Old 11-08-2016, 06:05 PM

Originally Posted by teh CL
Still the autotragic..
I remember knowing what you were talking about in post 56, but now I totally forgot what that was.

Originally Posted by oo7spy
What if you change the unlock to a different setting like when the engine shuts off?
I gonna try that again. In the winter not too handy as i often leave the car running for quickies.

Quick Reply: Least Favorite Thing about your RL