Leasing question

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2005, 02:03 PM
8th Gear

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Post Leasing question

Hi everyone, I have been browsing the site for over a year and finally decide to get the RL after comparing with the GS and M. I have also decided to lease the car and this is the number I got from the local Acura dealer, and hope that if you all can tell me if this sounds ok

negotiated price: $39995+des, 36months/12K month, no down, 58%residual and money factor 0.003 for $637 with tax per month. I think the money factor is little high but they told me that is decided by the bank and they dont make any money on it. How does it sounds? thanks

Vincent
Old 10-02-2005, 02:07 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I may be missing something, but I would think with $39k as the cap cost, that monthly should be lower. How much is the tax %?
Old 10-02-2005, 02:13 PM
Instructor

Plug your #'s in here.....

http://www.leaseguide.com/calc.htm
Old 10-02-2005, 02:20 PM
8th Gear

thanks for the replay.

that's what I thought as well, but it didnt happen that way. Yes, the cap cost is 40K+des. I tried to have them calculate if I have to put $2000 down but it only knocked the payment down to $603 with tax per month. My local tax rate is 7.75%

I did use leaseguide and I had my printout with me to the dealership. I put the number in and the guide give me about $530 with tax per month. Later the sales said because I forgot to put the drive off/document fee into the formula, hence the spike on the payment...
Old 10-02-2005, 03:22 PM
Instructor

How much is the document fee? Whatever the fees are that they are telling you that you "forgot" to put into the equation, divide it by 36 and see how much it brings your payment up per month. I think your calculation from leaseguide is a lot closer to what it should be based on that $39k cap cost. I recently did a lease on an RL and the cap cost was higher than $39k....and my payments are much lower than $637 including tax and with 15k mi/year.

You might want to ask them to re-run those numbers. I'm not an authority on this by any stretch, but feel free to PM me for more info if you need it.
Old 10-02-2005, 06:08 PM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by 2000ssmtl
Hi everyone, I have been browsing the site for over a year and finally decide to get the RL after comparing with the GS and M. I have also decided to lease the car and this is the number I got from the local Acura dealer, and hope that if you all can tell me if this sounds ok

negotiated price: $39995+des, 36months/12K month, no down, 58%residual and money factor 0.003 for $637 with tax per month. I think the money factor is little high but they told me that is decided by the bank and they dont make any money on it. How does it sounds? thanks

Vincent
If they didn't make any money on it they wouldn't do it (just my cynical opinion, sorry). Sounds kind of high for a cap cost at $40K. Unless you are really getting 12K month in mileage allowance. Seriously, though, like Kurt Russel's character says in "Used Cars" . . . that's too damn high! (Though don't shoot the car with a shotgun after you say that).
Old 10-02-2005, 07:07 PM
8th Gear

I really appreciate with all you guys feedback and I do agree the cost is higher than most people I have read on the board.

spacklebucket - thanks for your help and I will PM you for some question.

Since leasing is really new to me(first time), so I dont know too much about the little detail. However, I did email to at least 5 other Acura dealer in south California, all come back with higher payment number!? Maybe it is just me but seems like I dont get the good leasing deal like everyone else
Old 10-02-2005, 11:02 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 997 Likes on 531 Posts
Since leasing is really new to me(first time), so I dont know too much about the little detail. However, I did email to at least 5 other Acura dealer in south California, all come back with higher payment number!? Maybe it is just me but seems like I dont get the good leasing deal like everyone else
The fact that you have little experience with leasing is the reason for the higher pricing. The leasing manager and salesman you are dealing with are taking advantage of your inexperience to maximize their profit on the deal. If you have a friend or family member who is well versed in leasing "lingo", you could take them with you to the dealer and maybe get a better deal. If the dealer no longer feels that they can jumble and muddle and befuddle you into the deal that THEY want, you may get the deal that YOU want and deserve. Just remember that you are holding all the cards because you don't have to sign until YOU are happy. Don't feel bad, leasing is a "black art" that dealers love because it allows them to throw numbers around until your head is spinning and then eventually sign a deal that is more profitable for them. Good luck.
Old 10-02-2005, 11:23 PM
Intermediate

I really appreciate with all you guys feedback and I do agree the cost is higher than most people I have read on the board.

spacklebucket - thanks for your help and I will PM you for some question.

Just curious spack, which so cal dealers have you been talking to? I've been to Weir Canyon Acura, Metro Acura in Montclair and Tustin Acura. Trying to get a decent deal myself. Looking forward to leasing the car this month.

Incidentally, does anyone know when the $2500 incentive ends? The dealers always give me this crap about "oh, today's the last day of the incentive so you better take advantage".
Old 10-03-2005, 12:18 AM
8th Gear

Hondamore, I agree with you 100% about them try to take advantage of me in the whole situation. I tried the best to arm myself with all the info I could possibly get online(eg edumunds, carsdirect..) but it still doesnt turn the way it is when you start dealing with them. Unfortunately, I dont know anyone leasing vehicle, all of them either purchase or financed theirs. Our family bought all the car we owned as well. I am trying to lease becasue I am since self employed and try to take advantage of the tax deduction.

Melencio, I am dealing with Tustin Acura but I have emailed to most of the dealer in south CA. The monthly payment are roughly the same. I belived the incentive ended 10/3 and like yourself, I received a call from the dealer saying the same thing, and wish that I can closed the deal today! I told them it is not going to happen until they can give me a better deal!
Old 10-03-2005, 03:52 PM
Intermediate

Hondamore, I agree with you 100% about them try to take advantage of me in the whole situation. I tried the best to arm myself with all the info I could possibly get online(eg edumunds, carsdirect..) but it still doesnt turn the way it is when you start dealing with them. Unfortunately, I dont know anyone leasing vehicle, all of them either purchase or financed theirs. Our family bought all the car we owned as well. I am trying to lease becasue I am since self employed and try to take advantage of the tax deduction.

Melencio, I am dealing with Tustin Acura but I have emailed to most of the dealer in south CA. The monthly payment are roughly the same. I belived the incentive ended 10/3 and like yourself, I received a call from the dealer saying the same thing, and wish that I can closed the deal today! I told them it is not going to happen until they can give me a better deal!
2000ssmtl, I wonder if we'd have a better leverage if we pool our resources together and do a group buy. I'm dealing with John Mackay over at Tustin Acura.
Old 10-03-2005, 09:44 PM
8th Gear

Melencio, count me in as I am ready to do it as soon as I get a better number. I am dealing with Rick and Miguel(sp?). I am also working with Thomas Acura in the mean while, I will PM you if I have any luck.
Old 10-04-2005, 12:50 PM
Intermediate

My contact at Tustin Acura has just told me that they've extended the $2500 incentive till the end of October.