Keyless Entry / Immobilizer Disabled

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2012, 02:42 PM
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I thought he said that black plastic key substitute was mostly broken off and that he used the no-chip simple key in the ign. Which is weird, no need to break that thing off...comes off in one piece
Old 10-18-2012, 02:46 PM
Safety Car

Received 420 Likes on 314 Posts
I thought he was referring to broken black plastic on the ignition where you insert the key
Old 10-18-2012, 04:52 PM
Pro

Received 114 Likes on 89 Posts
Originally Posted by getakey
I'm a little confused on the key icon that lights and then goes out during startup. So, if the key is not present that light will stay on? But, how does the car start if the key is not present and the immobilizer works?

Wondering the purpose of the key icon light
The key light is there to indicate if it sees a valid transponder to satisfy the immobilizer system. The thing to understand is that there are TWO things that satisfy the immobilzer in the 2nd gen RL. One is the chip in the physical key. The other is the keyless entry fob that you carry around normally so you don't have to use the physical key. They are effectively two different chips that are both recognized by the vehicle.

If the car reads the fob ok, then the immobilzer is satisfied as well and you can start it without the physical key. If it doesn't read a fob and you try to use a physical key, it will try to listen for the chip in the black piece of the physical key. If it gets the proper signal from that, you can start the car with the phyical key.

The indicator light goes out to signal that the immobilizer has been satisfied. If it doesn't go out, then that means the car doesn't see either one and it will not start.

Hope this helps.
Old 10-18-2012, 04:56 PM
Safety Car

Understood, but how do you even turn the starter if no Key, no FOB?
I have not checked - maybe it does turn?
Old 10-18-2012, 05:14 PM
10th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have been the reading all of the posts daily, thanks for all the inputs. I am still on business travel, but will be back at the airport tomorrow evening. I will look to try to identify if the key is indeed hidden somewhere inside the car. Here in a little bit I will take a pic of the key that I have with me (I use it solely, it unlocks the doors and starts the ignition).

The broken plastic is on the ignition. The key I have is an aftermarket Ilco key (they make replacement locks for cars). I do not have any original Acura keys (unless one is hidden in the car somewhere).
Old 10-18-2012, 05:49 PM
Pro

Understood, but how do you even turn the starter if no Key, no FOB?
I have not checked - maybe it does turn?
What do you mean turn the starter with no key? The OP said he uses an ilco non-chipped key so he does have a key. If you have no key and no fob, you can't even turn on power to the car let alone the starter.
Old 10-18-2012, 05:55 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Megatron
What do you mean turn the starter with no key? The OP said he uses an ilco non-chipped key so he does have a key. If you have no key and no fob, you can't even turn on power to the car let alone the starter.
That's exactly my point. Independent of OP situation, what good does the key icon light perform? No key, no fob, no power, no light
Old 10-18-2012, 05:56 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 7,244 Likes on 4,855 Posts
I think he means can you turn the knob without a fob or key. The answer is, "no". You can turn it half way to (I) and the steering wheel will try to telescope. However, it will not turn farther and the steering wheel will retreat. I think the key icon blinks when this happens.
Old 10-18-2012, 05:58 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by oo7spy
I think he means can you turn the knob without a fob or key. The answer is, "no". You can turn it half way to (I) and the steering wheel will try to telescope. However, it will not turn farther and the steering wheel will retreat. I think the key icon blinks when this happens.
I think you are right. I recall trying to start car when I forgot my fob and the wheel going back and forth
So there is power and the key light would be telling me that I forgot something
Old 10-18-2012, 07:50 PM
Senior Moderator

It happens to me multiple times a week because I keep a phone in the same pocket as my fob, and the car won't recognize it.
Old 10-18-2012, 07:56 PM
10th Gear

Pic of Key:

Old 10-18-2012, 07:56 PM
Safety Car

to 007 - so is there a problem with your other pocket
Old 10-18-2012, 08:04 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,038 Likes on 844 Posts
Originally Posted by oo7spy
It happens to me multiple times a week because I keep a phone in the same pocket as my fob, and the car won't recognize it.
Old 10-20-2012, 08:42 AM
10th Gear

I looked for a hidden key all over the place (where I would hide one at least) and couldn't find anything.

Old 10-20-2012, 09:05 AM
Pro

OMFG... that lock cylinder looks totally non-standard! Like someone ripped off the plastic part and/or replaced the cylinder entirely. Someone lobotomized that poor RL!

One question... when you put the key in and first turn it to the II position (power on, but car not started), does the green key indicator (just below and between the gas and temp needles) come on solid green for just a sec or two and then disappear?

Also, when you just turn off the car and pull the key out, does the same green key indicator flash a few times?

These are both normal indicators of the immobilizer functioning normally.

Last edited by Megatron; 10-20-2012 at 09:17 AM.
Old 10-20-2012, 09:13 AM
Pro

By the way, this is what a normal lock cylinder on the RL should look like...

And this is what it should look like with a key in it...

Last edited by Megatron; 10-20-2012 at 09:18 AM.
The following users liked this post:
oo7spy (10-20-2012)
Old 10-20-2012, 11:17 AM
Senior Moderator

to 007 - so is there a problem with your other pocket
Yes. It has a phone in it too.
Old 10-20-2012, 02:21 PM
10th Gear

OMFG... that lock cylinder looks totally non-standard! Like someone ripped off the plastic part and/or replaced the cylinder entirely. Someone lobotomized that poor RL!

One question... when you put the key in and first turn it to the II position (power on, but car not started), does the green key indicator (just below and between the gas and temp needles) come on solid green for just a sec or two and then disappear?

Also, when you just turn off the car and pull the key out, does the same green key indicator flash a few times?

These are both normal indicators of the immobilizer functioning normally.
When I turn it to acc power, the green key light does come on for about 2 seconds and then goes away. When I turn the car off and remove the key, it flashes 5 times.
Old 10-20-2012, 02:27 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by mdlesk
When I turn it to acc power, the green key light does come on for about 2 seconds and then goes away. When I turn the car off and remove the key, it flashes 5 times.
Wow... if it does that, then I have to agree with the theory that there is a hidden key (or just the transponder chip head) in the car somewhere near the steering column. Somehow, the immobilizer is getting a signal like it's supposed to. The ilco key is a totally flat key right? I mean does it look like it could have a chip in it somewhere? Your pictures seem to show it's a plain jane normal key... but wanted to double check since I can't see it from all angles.

Finally, where are you located? You aren't anywhere near Seattle are you?
Old 10-20-2012, 03:08 PM
10th Gear

Wow... if it does that, then I have to agree with the theory that there is a hidden key (or just the transponder chip head) in the car somewhere near the steering column. Somehow, the immobilizer is getting a signal like it's supposed to. The ilco key is a totally flat key right? I mean does it look like it could have a chip in it somewhere? Your pictures seem to show it's a plain jane normal key... but wanted to double check since I can't see it from all angles.

Finally, where are you located? You aren't anywhere near Seattle are you?
The key is totally flat (just like door key to a house). I don't see where it could have a chip. I can take some more pics.

Also, I am in Ohio, so not anywhere close to Seattle.
Old 10-20-2012, 04:28 PM
Pro

I don't think we need more pics of the key. I think we all agree that's a plain key. There has to be a chip hidden in your car somewhere or else they really dissected the immobilizer system! I think it's more likely there's a key chip hidden somewhere.

In any event, now that we have all the info we needed, back to your original question...
Assuming there is a chip in your car and they didn't totally lobotomize your security system, you should be able to get new fobs programmed to your car. You just need someone with access to a dealer HDS system, which is why I asked if you were close to Seattle. ;-)

The fob on the rl is both the entry remote as well as keyless start, and those two functions can't be separated. So once a remote fob is programmed, that fob will also allow keyless start. If you can snap a cover back on the ignition cylinder, you would have keyless start also. But that might be difficult looking at that cylinder.
Old 10-20-2012, 05:08 PM
10th Gear

I think I found the chip. Here's pics, looks like the key was pulled from it, am I correct?

I also found this while searching (the key chip I found matches, I think):
Amazon Amazon
Old 10-20-2012, 05:33 PM
Pro

Unfortunately, no... That's the cover to the ignition switch that you normally use to start the car (you turn this cover in lieu of turning a key) when you have a fob. But looking at your previous pics, it looks like someone ripped off the plastic piece in the ignition switch itself that this cover normally attaches to (see my pics above and you will see the plastic piece I am talking about around the key hole). So my guess is that this cover you found won't snap in securely over the key hole like it should.

If you look at the picture in the amazon link you posted, you will see the cover over the ignition key opening where the key normally goes. On the side, you see the two RL physical keys, with their transponder chip heads attached.

Last edited by Megatron; 10-20-2012 at 05:37 PM.
Old 10-20-2012, 07:11 PM
Senior Moderator

Old 10-20-2012, 10:20 PM
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Take apart the whole interior! But yea, it could be anywhere within the car. Maybe even outside the car, near the windshield area. I assume you know about the "hidden" glovebox? It has to be in there!

Here's what the keyfob looks like with the cover off. This is as much as I could take apart without damaging it.
Attached Thumbnails Keyless Entry / Immobilizer Disabled-img_20121020_194624.jpg  
Old 10-20-2012, 10:56 PM
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Also... Just thought of something...

Let's try this, if you're willing. Try to turn the ignition using a flat screw driver. Of course pay extra caution to the tumblers(try not to even touch it). Remember, it's a push in and turn, so you might need 2 sets of hands.
The point of this test is to see if the remote is in the car. If it turns, that means the keyfob/remote is in the car. If it doesn't turn, no key fob.

If it does turn, keep it on either 1 or 2, exit the vehicle and shut the door. The car should beep, telling you that the key is still in the car. I tried this using only the key, but it doesn't beep because I used the key.
Old 10-20-2012, 11:02 PM
Instructor

I'd be removing the plastic cover around the steering column and looking around in there. That's the usual place favored by installers of remote start units.

A key (with chip) can't be very far from there and still work.

A fob, on the other hand could be anywhere but not likely since it is large and has a battery.
Old 10-20-2012, 11:18 PM
Torch & Pitchfork Posse

Received 1,806 Likes on 793 Posts
Originally Posted by steve807
I'd be removing the plastic cover around the steering column and looking around in there. That's the usual place favored by installers of remote start units.

A key (with chip) can't be very far from there and still work.

A fob, on the other hand could be anywhere but not likely since it is large and has a battery.
The key (chip) needs only be in the interior of the cabin. It need not be in the dashboard or near the steering wheel. As long as the Fob (with internal chipped key) is inside the car, the proximity sensor detects the key and enables the car to start.
Old 10-21-2012, 01:20 AM
Suzuka Master

if it was in the car he would not need to stick the key in to start it guys.
Old 10-21-2012, 07:19 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by HEAVY_RL
if it was in the car he would not need to stick the key in to start it guys.
What would he grab to run the ign switch ? Have you seen the pictures ?
Old 10-21-2012, 07:35 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by TampaRL
The key (chip) needs only be in the interior of the cabin. It need not be in the dashboard or near the steering wheel. As long as the Fob (with internal chipped key) is inside the car, the proximity sensor detects the key and enables the car to start.
Interesting, I'll test this (leave the fob far away...).
Promise it will not work on most cars of this vintage - the proximity sensor antenna coil is near the ign switch with an intentionally limited range.
More modern cars with a push button start are a different story.
Old 10-21-2012, 11:24 AM
Pro

I think some of us here are mixing the two systems up... the FOB and the KEY are two completely DIFFERENT things and not related except for the fact that they both allow starting of the car.

The FOB can be anywhere inside the cabin of the vehicle (and yes, even outside around the windshield area!) and allow remote start. It has a greater range because it has its own power source (batteries) AND there are multiple sensors for the FOB signal!

The KEY on the other hand, has a transponder chip in the head which does NOT have a power source. This is just like all the other cars out there that do not have keyless start. It is a passive system like badge readers that allow entry into buildings. Since the reader itself is in the ignition switch (and ONLY there), the chip has to be relatively close to that location. Have you ever tried to use a badge reader more than about 6 inches away?? That's about the extent of the range of these passive devices.

So bottom line is this... if he can only start the car with the physical key, there has to be a chip somewhere around the steering column area.

But I would be curious to know if the car will start without the key though... like with a screwdriver. Just use a big flat tip screwdriver and push in and turn. If that works, then it's a fob hidden in the car and not a key head.
steve807 (10-21-2012)
Old 10-21-2012, 11:26 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by steve807
What would he grab to run the ign switch ? Have you seen the pictures ?
the piece he found that covers the ignition.

have you seen the pics?
Old 10-21-2012, 11:35 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by HEAVY_RL
the piece he found that covers the ignition.

have you seen the pics?
Normally, he would be able to use the cover piece to try without the key, but looking at the pictures, it looks like they actually broke off the plastic piece that the cover latches onto to turn the ignition. There is normally a plastic tab at the top of the key hole (see my pics above) that allows you to turn it even with the cover off. The cover actually latches onto that tab. But in this case, the tab is gone and appears to be still attached to the cover if you look at his pics. That means there is nothing for the cover to grab onto to turn.
steve807 (10-21-2012)
Old 10-21-2012, 12:13 PM
10th Gear

Right, I can't use the ignition cover as the other piece required is missing. When I tried with a screwdriver, the steering wheel moved and I got the welcome message; however, when I tried to turn it, it wouldn't turn.

I am still trying to figure out out to get the steering column trim off. I see three screws, but the pieces seem to not separate. I'm obviously missing some hidden screws or something. I did get under the dash , but I couldn't find anything.

In addition, I checked the "hidden" glove box where the manual goes and there is nothing but the manual and bose disc there.
Old 10-21-2012, 12:17 PM
Suzuka Master

I see.
Old 10-21-2012, 01:12 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by mdlesk
Right, I can't use the ignition cover as the other piece required is missing. When I tried with a screwdriver, the steering wheel moved and I got the welcome message; however, when I tried to turn it, it wouldn't turn.

I am still trying to figure out out to get the steering column trim off. I see three screws, but the pieces seem to not separate. I'm obviously missing some hidden screws or something. I did get under the dash , but I couldn't find anything.

In addition, I checked the "hidden" glove box where the manual goes and there is nothing but the manual and bose disc there.
I think that is consistent with the thought that there is no FOB in the car and there is just the transponder chip head hidden somewhere.

As for the steering column trim, it looks like it's just 3 screwes and the rest just snap off. Just be careful while you're pulling and prying... you don't want to mar up the edges or break any tabs off. See the manual page below...

oo7spy (10-21-2012)
Old 10-21-2012, 01:15 PM
10th Gear

Got the steering column trim off, but no key

I took some pics when I had it off to see if any of the wiring on the ignition switch is abnormal.

oo7spy (10-21-2012)
Old 10-21-2012, 02:07 PM
Pro

Bummer you can't find a key chip. I guess the mystery remains...

See the black piece right behind the metallic circular ring? That is the actual immobilizer transceiver unit. See if you can find the plug leading from that unit and try unplugging it. Then try to start the car like normal and pay attention to the green key light on the dash. Does it still show normal 2 second on and then goes off? And when you turn it all off, does it still blink 5 times? That would be the next test.

If it works and starts like normal, they somehow nullified the immobilizer from the equation and the car doesn't need it to work!
If it doesn't start... then something for sure is sending the signal the immobilzer is looking for.

Last edited by Megatron; 10-21-2012 at 02:11 PM.
Old 10-21-2012, 04:09 PM
Senior Moderator

I wonder if you could get just the outside of the ignition needed for the plastic cover to work?

I would check catalog if I had my computer.

Quick Reply: Keyless Entry / Immobilizer Disabled