Key Fob and the wife!

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2005, 12:07 PM
Pro

Received 109 Likes on 70 Posts
Post Key Fob and the wife!

When my wife and I go somewhere in this car, she has her key fob with her also. Many times this creates a problem because if she grabs the door anytime before I turn the key to the II position, the welcome screen aknowledges driver 1. Then to get my settings adjusted, I have to turn off the car, dig into my pocket and push the unlock button to reset the car. Once I move the key into position II then it acknowledges me. This is very inconveinant because my wife keeps her key fob in her purse and I dont want to push the button or have to tell her to wait for me to get the car started first.

What are you guys doing to remedy this situation?
Is there a setting somewhere that allows key fob #2 preference over key fob #1?
Can a change be made to turn off the acknowldgement of the passenger door handle when key fob # 2 is in use.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Old 02-08-2005, 12:16 PM
is Pretty Much a Moron

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Page 227 of the owner's manual documents how to deal with this issue:

"Under no circumstances should women be allowed in your new Acura RL." ~ pg. 227-8 Acura Owner's Manual
The following 2 users liked this post by TypeSAddict:
Ballinger (02-12-2014), TheStig1 (02-10-2014)
Old 02-08-2005, 12:21 PM
Pro

Received 109 Likes on 70 Posts
Notice she has Key fob #1 and I have key fob # 2. It is her car until she replaces it with something else in the next couple of months.

TypeSAddict,

It took me a long time to generate the peace and love in my house. Don't ruin it for me.
Old 02-08-2005, 12:38 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 131 Likes on 79 Posts
there is no setting that will remedy this. The only thing you can do is, if you know you and your wife are going somewhere, either she doesn't keep her key in the purse, of you don't bring your key with. There is no other way around it.
Old 02-08-2005, 01:48 PM
office monkey

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'd say the only way you can work around this is for her to not have the keyfob with her when both are in the car.

As for me, I disabled the driver recognition thing. Serves me no purpose.
Old 02-08-2005, 01:53 PM
Instructor

I've been caught by this a couple of times, too. The solution that I've been testing is to just unlock by pushing the button on my fob as we approach the car. I know, very old school, but it beats having to re-lock and unlock to be able to sit in the car. Seems to be working so far.
Old 02-08-2005, 11:30 PM
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Agree with scottj on this one as I have been caught by this too. When I am just going to the RL by myself there is no issue and nothing special to do, just touch the door handle and it either recognizes me or it is still in Fob #1 default. When I am with my wife I make sure I pull out my Fob #1 and push unlock. So far so good, but will keep testing.

I also set all of my wife's preference the same as mine so that if I do happen to get in and find driver #2 activated, we have the same settings. She doesn't care and it is easier for me than pulling out the fob again. All I have to do then is push the memory button and seats and mirrors are OK and all is fine.

Just disappointing to have to jump through hoops, that's all.
Old 02-09-2005, 09:45 AM
has been here awhile

So the memory button inside the vehicle don't work after it's recognized a certain fob? What purpose do the memory buttons serve on the door, then?
Old 02-09-2005, 12:14 PM
Racer

As far as I remember, the memory buttons do still work.

I had one occasion when my wife opened the car first, and after I got in the seat starts to compress me into the wheel...I can't guarantee it, but I'm pretty sure that I used the memory button to reset the seat to my preferences.

Anyone got 2 remotes around their car that they can try this?

Pete
Old 02-09-2005, 09:24 PM
Racer

OK, just got home and so I tried it out.

I entered the car with the driver 1 fob and selected memory 2...all worked fine. I selected memory 1 (before my legs got crushed again) and all worked fine.

Pete
Old 04-11-2008, 11:22 AM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question Touching Driver/Passenger Door Handle

Originally Posted by legendguy
(...) just touch the door handle and it either recognizes me or it is still in Fob #1 default. (...)
Should touching the inside of the door handle work from both the driver and passenger sides? I can't make it work from the passenger side and don't know of a setting about that feature. Could it be that the passenger door handle is just not working properly
Old 04-11-2008, 12:43 PM
Go Big Blue!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Hou-RL
When my wife and I go somewhere in this car, she has her key fob with her also. Many times this creates a problem because if she grabs the door anytime before I turn the key to the II position, the welcome screen aknowledges driver 1. Then to get my settings adjusted, I have to turn off the car, dig into my pocket and push the unlock button to reset the car. Once I move the key into position II then it acknowledges me. This is very inconveinant because my wife keeps her key fob in her purse and I dont want to push the button or have to tell her to wait for me to get the car started first.

What are you guys doing to remedy this situation?
Is there a setting somewhere that allows key fob #2 preference over key fob #1?
Can a change be made to turn off the acknowldgement of the passenger door handle when key fob # 2 is in use.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Why not get in the habit of letting the driver touch the door handle (and unlock the car) first? That's what me and my wife do. However, if the passenger DOES jump the gun and happen to unlock the car first, then the driver can just touch the dimple on the door handle to relock the door and then immediately unlock it again by touching the driver door handle. No need to take the fob out at any time

Good luck with the Peace and Love thing. Let us know how that works out
Old 04-11-2008, 12:49 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
Take the battery out of her fob. If and when she mentions that it doesn't work, scratch you head and tell her you'll mention it to the dealer next time the car is in for service.

LL
Old 04-11-2008, 02:55 PM
Pro

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts
Use the memory button.
Old 03-05-2009, 11:12 PM
2006 RL

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
changed handle

this seems to be an old thread so i am not sure if the 2006 onwards cars had the same issue or not, but for my 2006, I remember I did not have this issue until I changed the passenger door handle.

before the change, all I had to do was get near the car first and touch the handle to unlock. not ideal, but always worked and it made sense. after the change however, the passenger side handle always unlocks even if the car is already unlocked and takes the last settings.......

it seems to me that this was an issuewith the 05 RL and my replaced handle may have been an 05 handle that is causing this? can anyone corroborate this theory?

thanks
Old 03-06-2009, 12:21 AM
2013 RL or bust

Originally Posted by lland
Take the battery out of her fob. If and when she mentions that it doesn't work, scratch you head and tell her you'll mention it to the dealer next time the car is in for service.

LL
I like this idea.. What the hell does she need to bring her fob around for anyway? It should be put away in case you lose your fob.
Old 03-06-2009, 06:43 AM
Safety Car

Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts
Originally Posted by miserable
this seems to be an old thread so i am not sure if the 2006 onwards cars had the same issue or not, but for my 2006, I remember I did not have this issue until I changed the passenger door handle.

before the change, all I had to do was get near the car first and touch the handle to unlock. not ideal, but always worked and it made sense. after the change however, the passenger side handle always unlocks even if the car is already unlocked and takes the last settings.......

it seems to me that this was an issuewith the 05 RL and my replaced handle may have been an 05 handle that is causing this? can anyone corroborate this theory?

thanks
Interesting. This is how my 2006 works, first to the door wins.

The old school solution is to open the door for your wife. She will love the old time chivalry and you get the setting on your fob.
Old 03-06-2009, 06:54 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 180 Likes on 129 Posts

thanks
The 05 and 06 are identical in this regard. I have never heard of the passenger door unlocking if it is already unlocked. Check MID settings for door unlock. Set to All Doors and set the beep too. Let us know if it changes anything.
Old 03-06-2009, 06:58 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 180 Likes on 129 Posts
So, in conclusion: If you must take the wench then you must open the door for her!
Old 03-06-2009, 07:30 AM
unofficial HONDA rep

well when you get in the car, just hit the memory setting for driver 2, or you can disable the remotes for driver recognition, there is instructions on the back of each remote.
Old 03-06-2009, 07:44 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 30 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by fredren
well when you get in the car, just hit the memory setting for driver 2, or you can disable the remotes for driver recognition, there is instructions on the back of each remote.
Hitting the memory setting for Driver 2 only affects the seat position, mirrors, and steering wheel. It will not switch the audio preferences or address book to the correct driver.
Old 03-06-2009, 08:18 AM
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Lucky me, I'm the only driver.
Old 03-06-2009, 11:49 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 134 Likes on 66 Posts
All you have to do is push the #1 or #2 button (depending on which driver you are) on the door panel and it will adjust to the stored settings regardless of what key the car detected...... if you carry the key fob, the passenger side outer door handle unlocks all doors, the driver side outer door handle unlock just the driver door....
Old 03-06-2009, 11:57 AM
2006 RL

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by db22
The 05 and 06 are identical in this regard. I have never heard of the passenger door unlocking if it is already unlocked. Check MID settings for door unlock. Set to All Doors and set the beep too. Let us know if it changes anything.
It is set to all doors. the damn thing is either the new handle I got is bad, or the dealer somehow did not install it right. passenger door always unlocks...even when I unlock from the passenger side and touch the handle again...it unlocks.
Old 03-06-2009, 12:04 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 134 Likes on 66 Posts
Too bad, the RL is missing the "door locking/unlocking behavior modification via MID" feature that 3rd gen TL have....

It is set to all doors. the damn thing is either the new handle I got is bad, or the dealer somehow did not install it right. passenger door always unlocks...even when I unlock from the passenger side and touch the handle again...it unlocks.
Old 03-06-2009, 02:09 PM
2013 RL or bust

Chris Brown her.
Old 03-06-2009, 02:31 PM
Safety Car

Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts
Originally Posted by psheu
Too bad, the RL is missing the "door locking/unlocking behavior modification via MID" feature that 3rd gen TL have....
Actually, the MID does have such a screen. See Page 106 in the 2006 Manual. A bunch of helpful pictures are missing.

To select whether the driver’s door
or all doors unlock when you open
the driver’s door with the remote or
by grabbing the door handle (while
carrying the remote), follow these
instructions:

While the multi-information display
is in the KEYLESS ACCESS SETUP
screen of the CUSTOMIZE GROUP,
press the SEL/RESET button. The
screen changes to the above display.

Press the SEL/RESET button. The
screen changes as shown above.
Select DRIVER DOOR ONLY or
ALL DOORS by pressing the INFO
button, then press the SEL/
RESET button to enter your
selection.

When your choice is set, you will see
the above display for several seconds,
then the screen goes back to
CUSTOMIZE ENTRY.

If your choice is not set, you will see
the above display for several seconds,
then the screen goes back to
CUSTOMIZE ENTRY. If this
happens, you need to repeat the door
unlock mode setup.
Old 03-06-2009, 02:36 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Chas2
Interesting. This is how my 2006 works, first to the door wins. (...)
Same here although my passenger handle sensor does not work most of the time. I'm not having it fixed as the situation addresses the problem when the first one to the door is not the driver...
Old 03-07-2009, 02:01 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,613 Likes on 2,193 Posts
Originally Posted by afjock21
Chris Brown her.
Oh man, not funny. Punching your lady is never classy. :thumbsdow

My wife doesn't get the driver 2 fob unless we are on a long trip together, and at that time, I make sure I'm first to the door.
Old 02-09-2014, 10:10 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by Rob L
As for me, I disabled the driver recognition thing. Serves me no purpose.
How do you do this? When my wife (with "driver 2" fob) goes to drive the car all kinds of settings we don't want (wrong radio presets, climate control to 80 degrees, doors lock/unlock with different settings, etc. Holding down the lock and unlock buttons at same time (to get single light flash) eliminated the seat trying to crush us...but all the other settings are not impacted. We like the same music, drive with seats in same position, etc. Don't need fob #2 to do anything to settings.

Only other option at this point seems to be lock the #2 fob up and never use unless #1 fob is lost. Just pass the #1 fob back and forth (not that hard, but we do like to bring both on trips and such when well both be using the car a lot).
Old 02-09-2014, 11:01 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 7,247 Likes on 4,858 Posts
Reset the settings on her fob to default. Then change whatever is still different to match driver 1.
Old 02-10-2014, 10:34 AM
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by db22
Any insturctions? Mine only opens the drivers door and its annoying.
Old 02-10-2014, 11:22 AM
Senior Moderator

Go into the MID settings and change the Keyless Access settings.
Old 02-10-2014, 11:29 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,041 Likes on 846 Posts
You didn't tell him to check the manual?
Old 02-10-2014, 12:29 PM
Senior Moderator

We'll see what his next response is...
Old 02-10-2014, 01:35 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by oo7spy
We'll see what his next response is...
I'm scared to ask how to access the mid settings
Old 02-10-2014, 01:38 PM
Senior Moderator

With the car in park and the ignition on (engine on or off), push the button in the bottom right of the steering wheel that has an "i" and hold until the menu comes up. Then, use up, down, and select to navigate through the menu.

It's been a while, so someone can clarify any mistakes.
The following users liked this post:
TheStig1 (02-10-2014)
Old 02-10-2014, 01:41 PM
Advanced

With the car in park and the ignition on (engine on or off), push the button in the bottom right of the steering wheel that has an "i" and hold until the menu comes up. Then, use up, down, and select to navigate through the menu.

It's been a while, so someone can clarify any mistakes.
Thanks, I always forget to ask, is that a flat coated retreiver in your avatar?
Old 02-10-2014, 01:42 PM
Senior Moderator

To the best of our knowledge, he is a Border Collie/Corgi mix (Borgi), but since he came from the pound, we will never know for sure. I keep his hair short March-Oct which is why it may not appear as long as a typical collie.
Old 02-10-2014, 02:13 PM
Advanced

To the best of our knowledge, he is a Border Collie/Corgi mix (Borgi), but since he came from the pound, we will never know for sure. I keep his hair short March-Oct which is why it may not appear as long as a typical collie.
Oh was I off

Quick Reply: Key Fob and the wife!