Key fob recognition

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2006, 09:07 AM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Key fob recognition

I have a 2006 RL with Driver 1 and Driver 2 key fobs. The car seems to greet the appropriate driver only if that driver was the most recent one to lock and unlock the doors. For example, if Driver 1 last used the RL and parked it unlocked in the garage and some time later Driver 2 enters the unlocked car, the car will greet "Driver 1" when the ignition is turned on and the seat/mirror positions will NOT change as they should to Driver 2's positions. If Driver 2 then turns off the ignition, exits, locks the doors with the door handle dimple, returns, unlocks the car and turns the ignition on, "Driver 2" is properly greeted and the seats/mirrors move to Driver 2's settings.

Is this the way it should work, or is something wrong with the key fob recognition? In other words, must the car be locked and unlocked for a change of driver to be recognized?

Can I reset the key fob recognition myself, or must a dealer do it?
Old 10-30-2006, 09:12 AM
Safety Car

Received 312 Likes on 198 Posts
key fob recognition

I have an '06 RL- newly pruchased. My wife (Driver 2) and I (Driver 1) have noticed that when door is not locked after exiting car, if the other driver approaches and enters car the fob is not recognized, meaning that the previous driver's settings are used. IF we lock the door each time then the key fob is recognized when the other driver unlocks the door. A SNAFU that needs to be addressed or normal?

On a similar note, if key fob is not recognized can the drivers seat settings be set according to memory settings; i.e. Driver 1 seat settings changed to Driver 2 by pushing the 2 button on the memory area?
Old 10-30-2006, 09:47 AM
AcurAdmirer

Received 352 Likes on 164 Posts
Either you and ed111 are in cahoots, or your two great minds fired their neurons at the same time.

I've noticed the same thing, both with this car and with my wife's Caddy STS. I assumed it was to stop the car from ratcheting back and forth everytime one of the fobs came within range. There's also the matter of Driver (fob) 1 having precedence over Driver 2.

Many couples both carry their fobs with them, so the car would be really confused if both get in the car at the same time. The act of unlocking the car allows the second fob to announce that it's the one that's going to be used to operate the car.

And yes, pressing a memory button will change the settings of the seat and mirrors to those presets regardless of which fob is in use.
Old 10-30-2006, 09:50 AM
Cruisin'

If driver 1 exited the car and did not lock it, driver 2 must press the unlock button on the fob to get the car to recognize that fob.

The memory setting seem to depend upon the unlock event from the fob.

I've encountered this irritating situation.
I've got the locks set to only unlock the driver's door.
So if driver 1 unlocks the door from the driver's handle, but then driver 2 opens the passenger door, the memory setting will be driver 2. Then I have to fish the fob out of my pocket and press the unlock button to for the driver 1 memory settings.
Old 10-30-2006, 10:39 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 180 Likes on 129 Posts
I used to have the problem with the 1/2 driver recognition but my wife solved the issue for me - she lost her fob!
Old 10-30-2006, 10:43 AM
Advanced

I can assure you, we are not in cahoots. Quite a coincidence about the simultaneous posts.

Not sure I like the apparent answer, as it negates much of the benefit of having key fob recognition in a two driver situation. A lot of observation, key fob fumbling, button pushing, etc. is required to get proper recognition and seat/mirror adjustment.

Are there any workarounds? I thought I read in the manual that the car recognizes the first key fob to approach.
Old 10-30-2006, 10:45 AM
Advanced

Not sure I like the apparent answer, as it negates much of the benefit of having key fob recognition in a two driver situation. A lot of observation, key fob fumbling, button pushing, etc. is required to get proper recognition and mirror/seat adjustment.

Are there any workarounds? I thought I read in the manual that the car recognizes the first key fob to approach.
Old 10-30-2006, 11:03 AM
Safety Car

Received 312 Likes on 198 Posts
ed111, that is what I thought too. Apparently we asked our same question simultaneously.
Old 10-30-2006, 01:27 PM
AcurAdmirer

Received 352 Likes on 164 Posts
Originally Posted by ed111
I thought I read in the manual that the car recognizes the first key fob to approach.
Well, I think it DOES, but only if a door is unlocked by the person possessing the first fob to approach the car.

Kinda funky answer, but think about it - how else could they have done it? I haven't yet come across a car system sophisticated enough to "key" itself completely to one of two fobs approaching it simultaneously.

I'm lucky in this regard, since my wife never ever drives my cars. She drives hers and I drive mine. (Well, and I sometimes drive hers. But when I do, I have to press a memory button to move the seat enough to get under the wheel. )

Old 10-30-2006, 02:21 PM
Team Owner

Received 378 Likes on 198 Posts
I think you guys are failing to recognize which action actually triggers the computer to reconfigure the settings based on the Driver 1 or Drive 2 signal.

The physical act of approaching the vehicle does nothing except allow the car to recognize that a remote is in the vicinity. When the person driving the vehicle reaches the vehicle and unlocks it, it is this action that uses the data from the Driver 1 or Driver 2 signal to switch to the pre-configured settings.

However, in the case of the OP, the vehicle is already unlocked. With the vehicle unlocked, the car does not ever trigger the action (unlocking of the doors) that results in the setting change, and therefore, when the car is reached, all the settings have remained the same from the previous user who unlocked the vehicle.

One must realize that nearly all keyless systems function in this manner. If it worked differently, two people walking up to the car, each with a properly coded remote with different driver signals would confuse the hell out of the car.
Old 10-30-2006, 04:42 PM
Retired and Loving It

All of you new 06 RL owners are discussing the same thing that we 05 RL owners discovered last year. It is what it is. You'll have to train yourselves and your wives who unlocks and grabs the door handle first. Two people with fobs getting into the RL at the same time can cause marital problems.

I tell you, this car is smarter then we are. IT'S TRAINING US!
Old 11-02-2006, 06:09 AM
Instructor

Received 25 Likes on 15 Posts
On a recent trip, I gave the 2nd remote to my rider.

On our way home after a 3 day weekend, I realized that we had been locking her purse in the passenger cabin as we ran into rest stops/etc.

Freaked me out at first, thinking that the car might unlock if someone just walked up to the door and touched the handle, or that maybe it unlocking after I got the lock confirmation beep.

Seems the car is smart enough to allow the remote that unlocked the car to lock the car with the 2nd remote being left in the cabin (and evidently unrecognized).