K&N Filter

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2006, 07:30 AM
Safety Car

Received 312 Likes on 198 Posts
K&N Filter

Has anyone replaced their OEM air filter with the K&N filter? If so, impressions please.
Old 10-04-2006, 08:14 AM
Pro

Received 18 Likes on 8 Posts
I have... highway milage is better, pickup is marginally better.
Old 10-04-2006, 08:34 AM
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by miner
Has anyone replaced their OEM air filter with the K&N filter? If so, impressions please.
I used one for about three months. My RL had a more pronounced "growl" and I thought the acceleration improved a little. However, in retrospect, it most likely was a figment of my imagination. After some additional research and message board postings I decided to remove it because some felt that performance really didn't improve and that the original filter was superior when it came to particle removal...I also wasn't eneamored about cleaning and reoiling the filter when it came time to do so...

Like you, I would be interested in knowing others experience with K&N filters...
Old 10-04-2006, 08:46 AM
Pro

the original filter isnt superior in particle filtering.
it is more restrictive than the K/N filter-and because its a paper filter it looks like it filters more particles but its an illusion.
the oil and cotton filter is superior in filtering particles because it traps and suspends them in the oil and cotton.
As a user of K/N filters for 15 years, I can say that its far more economical to reoil a filter after 25-50K miles than to replace a paper filter every 15K miles.
If you have ever cleaned a K/N filter and saw what the oil was like after you cleaned it from the filter- you would see that it does trap a heck of lot of dirt
Old 10-04-2006, 09:25 AM
Drifting

Received 218 Likes on 174 Posts
Originally Posted by sotiri
it is more restrictive than the K/N filter-and because its a paper filter it looks like it filters more particles but its an illusion.
the oil and cotton filter is superior in filtering particles because it traps and suspends them in the oil and cotton.
As a user of K/N filters for 15 years, I can say that its far more economical to reoil a filter after 25-50K miles than to replace a paper filter every 15K miles.
If you have ever cleaned a K/N filter and saw what the oil was like after you cleaned it from the filter- you would see that it does trap a heck of lot of dirt
Some have mentioned a concern about the oil "gumming up" the works. Is there any truth to claim that the filter oil can clog sensors and such down stream from the filter?
Old 10-04-2006, 09:30 AM
Pro

only if to much oil is applied to a refreshed filter.
and that means its literally dripping off the filter.
Old 10-04-2006, 09:54 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
On the spoon race RL they did replace the stock filter with filter that probably flowed more if I recall and then ran a hose from the bumper area to the stock air box. Dunno how effective it was though.
Old 10-04-2006, 09:55 AM
Safety Car

Received 148 Likes on 99 Posts
Not true. Test's have shown the K&N doesn't filter as good as normal paper filters. The only thing on the K&N that catches dirt is the oil. If they aren't oiled properly they let a lot of dirt pass.

People with K&N's have shown dirtier intake tracks as well as blackstone labs showed the filter wasn't filtering as good as it was with a paper filter. It allows more air to pass for more power, but it also allows more dirt to pass.

Amsoil has a good filter that works for power and filters good.
Old 10-04-2006, 10:01 AM
Safety Car

http://bobistheoilguy.com/airfilter/airtest3.htm
Old 10-04-2006, 10:21 AM
Safety Car

http://www.trueflow.com/video/product.wvx

REAL LIVE VIDEO and testing.

Paper filters better than K&N. See live.
Old 10-04-2006, 10:08 PM

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts
I just installed a Fram AirHog (K&N knockoff) in my GM beater car. I don't notice any difference, but the filter was FREE so I could care less.
Old 10-04-2006, 11:01 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Had a Porsche once. Shop raced and had a dyno. Did a full test on lots of things. Told me 85% of the intake had to be covered before HP fell off with a stock filter....and that some mass air sensors got blown by oil from these types of filters....basically, they no longer use K&N. If you have the dough to care, they felt a fresh OEM filter was the best way to go. I have come to agree. In my car, I had a louder aftermarket exhaust ....that was fun. Not sure if it added > 10 HP.

JB
Old 10-05-2006, 08:36 AM
Unemployed or retired?

Couldn't disagree more. At least on Corvettes I have seen noticeable dust in the air intake of K&N applications where I have never seen dust on a stock filter.

Modern designs have more than adequate flow rates with their OEM setups. No engineer past first year design is going to let something as cheap as air filtration limit horsepower. I have been involved in many many dyno tests and have not seen horsepower improvement from a simple filter change. "Up to" 10 HP means nothing or it would say "at least" 10 HP guaranteed.
Have you seen Bob's K&N test?

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/airfilter/airtest1.htm

Here is some more interesting reading.
http://forums.swedespeed.com/zerothr...&postid=195593
Old 02-01-2007, 09:00 PM
6th Gear

K&N air filter FYI for '07 TL's

Hi,
I saw this thread and thought I'd put the word out that I discovered (the hard way) that Acura has changed the design of the air filter for the '07 TL. I got the recommended filter and it did NOT fit, due to the new desisgn having one corner removed for a cover retaining bolt which apparently didn't exist before. I spoke with an engineer @ K&N, and since then the air filter for the '07 TL has been removed from the products portion of their website.. Hopefully, they'll have a re-design soon!
Other than that,
LOVE the car!
Old 02-02-2007, 09:01 AM
Racer

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by jb4449
Hi,
I saw this thread and thought I'd put the word out that I discovered (the hard way) that Acura has changed the design of the air filter for the '07 TL. I got the recommended filter and it did NOT fit, due to the new desisgn having one corner removed for a cover retaining bolt which apparently didn't exist before. I spoke with an engineer @ K&N, and since then the air filter for the '07 TL has been removed from the products portion of their website.. Hopefully, they'll have a re-design soon!
Other than that,
LOVE the car!
That's great and all but this is an RL forum.
Old 02-02-2007, 09:37 AM
Pro

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts
Dont waste your money, the improvement is simply more engine noise. When I was a kid we used to remove the whole air cleaner for street racing. Other than a raucous sound, it truely didn't improve performance.
Old 02-02-2007, 12:12 PM
Unemployed or retired?

Originally Posted by RL06tech
Dont waste your money, the improvement is simply more engine noise. When I was a kid we used to remove the whole air cleaner for street racing. Other than a raucous sound, it truely didn't improve performance.

And I really believe they are less effective filters.
Old 02-02-2007, 05:24 PM

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Rich in NC
And I really believe they are less effective filters.
They are, however, it isn't enough to significantly reduce your engine life. Chances are, you'd never notice the difference.
Old 02-02-2007, 06:55 PM
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have replaced everyhting I own with K & N air filter,except my rl, just cause I haven't gotten there yet. i also use K&N oil filters on ALL. I like the idea of just washing and reoil. Have them in 3 cars and 2 bikes. never had a problem. Claims to give motor more air which in turn means more fuel to run properly. I don't think they give you anything but $$$ back in your pocket from buying replacements all the time.
Old 02-02-2007, 07:16 PM
Pro

agreed. it beats buying crappy paper filters every 15K miles
Old 02-03-2007, 08:03 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by RL06tech
We used to just turn the air cleaner cover upside down and screw it back on. Got the sound but the air still had to pass through the filter. The only thing we lost was that little vaccuum operated flap in the original intake.

LL