Just picked up an 05' Few Questions- Specifically Speakers Crackling

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2012, 11:16 PM
Intermediate

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Just picked up an 05' Few Questions- Specifically Speakers Crackling

Hey guys,

1st post, 1st Honda/ Acura. It's an 05 w/ 83K on it. Beautiful car, but there are a few things that I need to address ASAP. Not the least of which is the speakers crackle like an SOB when playing any audio source. I have seen a few posts on here with that same problem, but none of those posts provided a resolution. It occurs in any source, at any volume, and of course is worse the more you turn it up. I have not however noticed it whatsoever when using the HF Link system, or any of the NAV/ system settings. It's just the Radio and CD Player.

There is an aftermarket Ipod connector that had been installed years prior. I don't know what kind, however I plugged my 80GB Ipod in on the ride home, and it started to charge, however I could not get a link to the car itself. I have no idea if this is a correlation to the crackle noises, but worth mentioning I believe.

I called the seller on the way home and he said that happened once before as well (ya like this JUST started tonight as I picked it up) and that he unplugged the battery overnight and it went away.

I would LOVE/ appreciate some insight as to what I should check/ replace/ diagnose to try and fix this.

Thanks guys,

Todd
Old 04-18-2012, 07:39 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,041 Likes on 846 Posts
Congrats on your purchase and welcome.

There are so many possibilities, did you try the battery reset like the previous owner said?

With it being limited to the radio and not the HFL or Nav, that eliminates a speaker connection.

For the iPod to work you may have to switch the audio source to XM1
Old 04-18-2012, 09:22 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 7,247 Likes on 4,858 Posts
Heavy is off to a good start. The fact that HF is clear indicates the amp and speakers are fine. The problem likely lays within the headunit itself. You may have to pull the HU out and inspect the connections, specifically the power connections.

The iPod connector is also a possibility. However, the fact the car doesn't pick it up has me wondering if it is a power only cable. What does the cable plug into? I have a 12V to USB adapter that is plugged into my console to charge my phone. Obviously, it will not connect to the stereo. If yours is not like this, I would eliminate the possibility of the connector causing the issue by disconnecting it from the HU.
Old 04-18-2012, 02:30 PM
Intermediate

Thank you both for replying.

I haven't tried a battery disconnect yet, I will tonight. I have determined through additional fiddling that the CD player itself is the worst by far, and the radio a distant second. It's not at all "crisp" even when I am literally within throwing distance from an FM station's antenna.

As far as the ipod is concerned, it looks to have been properly installed. The cable is around an 8ga thickness, so that would lead me to believe that it is indeed a connection to the stereo rather than solely a charger. I have tried every source input, including XM1 and not gotten anything out of it. In past cars I've owned with the ipod hookup, the ipod itself was taken over, ie, there was a MFR logo displayed on the ipod, and you would then control the ipod itself over the car's stereo/ controls. When I attach to this RL, all I get is a charge indicator, nothing else.

I couldn't care less about the Ipod at the moment, especially if it doesn't correlate.

I just want this crackle to go away. You guys know what it sounds like when an amp clips? That is what this sounds like. I do plan to take the stereo out to replace some of the HVAC bulbs that have burnt, so I will certainly tinker with the connections there, and perhaps determine what brand ipod connector this is and try to fix that too.

Any other thoughts fella's? Should I run an extra ground?

Thanks,

Todd
Old 04-18-2012, 03:11 PM
Suzuka Master

Go with a battery reset first (make sure you have your radio and nav codes). If that makes a difference then it will isolate the issue to the radio

If not, then when you pull it out to replace the bulbs, yes check the connections and grounds.

The problem is you don't know who has been in there and it could be a poor installation of that iPod unit or a loose wire.

If that doesnt work, you may want to send the radio to Alpine.
Old 04-18-2012, 03:55 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 244 Likes on 139 Posts
it could be a issue with the iPod adapter, It has power source and then sends the signal out through the adapter via CD changer cable or other means. i would check the installation of the adapter to see if it has a proper connection
Old 04-18-2012, 06:19 PM
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
Thank goodness we can send the radio off to repair if that's what it is. Replacing it is out of the question. What does refurbing the radio usually cost?

And I agree with the others, I would disconnect and isolate the ipod interface first and then test. Can you shoot a video with your phone and post it on youtube for us to see and hear?
Old 04-18-2012, 07:10 PM
Intermediate

OK, I was about to go disconnect the battery, but saw that Heavy said I need a NAV code as well as the stereo code. I have the stereo code, but not the NAV code. Is there a way to quiesce the NAV system to get the code, or do I need to call Acura?

Video on the way of what is going on.

Thanks,

Todd
Old 04-18-2012, 07:16 PM
Safety Car

Received 420 Likes on 314 Posts
Have you looked in the secret manual storage compartment?

My Nav code and Radio code are on the same card

Last edited by getakey; 04-18-2012 at 07:24 PM.
Old 04-18-2012, 08:31 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by getakey
Have you looked in the secret manual storage compartment?

My Nav code and Radio code are on the same card
I did and I found 2x cd cases, but there was no code, unless I looked too quick in my WTF'ed'ness. My radio code on the card I have is 5 digits, and in the manual for the NAV it says it's code is 4 digits, so I assume that they are not the same. I'm afraid to disconnect the battery now for fear I'll punk out the NAV system. Perhaps I'll wait and all Acura tomorrow.
Old 04-18-2012, 08:34 PM
Safety Car

yes, the codes are different
Old 04-18-2012, 10:49 PM
Intermediate

OK, as mentioned here is a video of what's going on. I apologize as some of the clipping just isn't coming through with this recording, but when it gets to "Enter Sandman" you can certainly hear what's going on.

I'll call Acura in the morning and try to get the NAV code.

Any additional thoughts are appreciated.

Todd
Old 04-19-2012, 07:21 AM
Suzuka Master

First off, great vid... that helps.

In all honesty I didn't hear it except for the second radio station and the first CD... I know this seems simple, but have you tried turning the bass down?

Based on what I heard this could be as simple as a blown speaker.
To eliminate the simple stuff first, turn all the settings (bass, mid, treble) to the lowest setting and then use the adjustments to move the sound front and rear. If the "clipping" sound goes away it could be a speaker.

As for the iPod, that wire isnt working anything like my USA spec and I do not recognize it to identify the brand.
Old 04-19-2012, 03:17 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by HEAVY_RL
First off, great vid... that helps.

In all honesty I didn't hear it except for the second radio station and the first CD... I know this seems simple, but have you tried turning the bass down?

Based on what I heard this could be as simple as a blown speaker.
To eliminate the simple stuff first, turn all the settings (bass, mid, treble) to the lowest setting and then use the adjustments to move the sound front and rear. If the "clipping" sound goes away it could be a speaker.

As for the iPod, that wire isnt working anything like my USA spec and I do not recognize it to identify the brand.
Done and Done unfortunately. That Metallic clip was really the only time I could hear it as well, and it is all speakers (rules out blown one) and will do it with all selections at min/ off (rules out bass).

Still waiting on my NAV code and will try the battery disconnect and post results.
Old 04-19-2012, 03:20 PM
Suzuka Master

be prepared to find that iPod cord and disconnect it.
That would be my last step before sending the head unit out.
Old 04-19-2012, 03:24 PM
2012 Cadillac CTS-V Coupe

Received 95 Likes on 66 Posts
I think it's a blown speaker. Had that on my RL. The speaker in the driver's door (which is the same one that the broadcasts your phone calls).

You can play around with your fader and balance controls to play sound out of each speaker to see which one is distorting. That's how I figured it out in mine. I was going to get it fixed, but then tradd the car in.

** Edit ** nevermind. Just saw the post that it's on all the speakers. Could it be the amp?
Old 04-19-2012, 03:24 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by HEAVY_RL
be prepared to find that iPod cord and disconnect it.
That would be my last step before sending the head unit out.
I agree
Old 04-19-2012, 04:07 PM
Suzuka Master

Could be the amp, but the HFL and Nav use the same channels
Old 04-19-2012, 05:25 PM
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
Did you say you had a burned DVD-A? I was not able to get this to work. I thought the RL drive could not read burned DVD's.
Old 04-19-2012, 10:03 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by shahram72
Did you say you had a burned DVD-A? I was not able to get this to work. I thought the RL drive could not read burned DVD's.
DVD-A is inherently a DVD in which the RL can read. You can find a VERY limited selection on your favorite Torrent engine (and the 4.A2 NAV =) What your referring to is the RL's inability to read a DVD with MP3's on it, which is true.
Old 04-19-2012, 10:05 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by getakey
I agree
I agree as well. I'll find that and test it this weekend, and replace the bulbs in the HVAC with the Radio Shack bulbs I saw in a different post.

Battery disconnect BTW solved NOTHING.

Out of curiosity, where do I send the HU out too? Any idea on the rough cost?

Thanks,

Todd
Old 04-19-2012, 10:41 PM
Suzuka Master

post 8

https://acurazine.com/forums/2g-rl-audio-bluetooth-electronics-navigation-90/factory-cd-player-help-746466/
Old 04-20-2012, 09:15 AM
Racer

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
Mine crackeled and it was blown speaker. What caused crackling was the noise cancellation system which causes speakers to move regardless on fader /balance.
Old 04-20-2012, 09:55 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by phishfood
Mine crackeled and it was blown speaker. What caused crackling was the noise cancellation system which causes speakers to move regardless on fader /balance.
But one blown speaker wouldn't affect all of the other speakers? I tried it again this morning for S&G's with a store bought CD (not a burn) and re-did my test. Still crackles like an SOB playing a CD. In FM/XM the audio clarity is poor, and there is an occasional pop/click, and a constant static to it. Honestly the way the CD sounds when it plays is scary, you would really think something was going to blow.

With this information I am starting to suspect the stereo itself more and more as I experience no issues with HF Link/ NAV/ Voice, minimal problems with FM/XM and HUGE problems with CD. To me this would indicate that the AMP is OK, the speakers are OK, and that the HU itself is the culprit.

The last thing to check before sending to Alpine is that iPod adapter, which I will do this weekend.

Todd
Old 04-20-2012, 10:00 AM

Originally Posted by phishfood

That's what I was experiencing too. it became louder as you accelerated and the noise cancellation tried to compensate. You would REALLY notice it if you put your finger over the mic in the headliner.

I also noticed that it was worse when it got warm in the car (parked in the sun all day). During the winter months I hadn't noticed it as much, but when the weather started to warm up it got worse. Also in the morning when I left for work (car is parked in a garage) it seemed fine. At the end of the day when I left work, after the car sat all day, especially on sunny days, it was especially bad, only to be OK again in the morning.
Old 04-21-2012, 07:54 PM
Intermediate

Well today's testing was a dismal failure with the exception of replacing the HVAC and Hazard bulbs.

the iPod connector happened to be OEM Acura Music Link. I disconnected it completely for testint. Neat system actually, I may hook it back up, but I think it may be broken as the manual http://musiclink.acura.com/UG/acura.pdf says you should get a "Big Check Mark" on the display and the iPod rendered useless. As I mentioned previously I got nothing but a charging indicator.

Anyway, the stereo is still as messed up as it has been. I guess what I'd really like from you guys is a recommendation on where to start, the Amp, or the Stereo. Is there a way to definitively test each one to determine the problem, or do I just have to replace one (expensive crap-shoot) and if it doesn't work, replace the other?

This really sucks, shame on me for not testing the stereo in ALL MODES when I drove it. I only turned the FM up for a few seconds and it was on talk radio so I didn't notice. I can't be without audio, so this is now priority #1, the slightly warped rotors will now be priority #2.

Thanks guys,

Todd
Old 04-21-2012, 08:50 PM
Senior Moderator

Open the driver's door. Does the sound still happen? If it changes at all, it is your ANC. The entire ANC module plugs into the amp in one harness. I disconnected mine b/c of my subs. But the ANC turns off/changes with the door open.

I would check that first.
The following users liked this post:
HEAVY_RL (04-21-2012)
Old 04-22-2012, 12:52 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by oo7spy
Open the driver's door. Does the sound still happen? If it changes at all, it is your ANC. The entire ANC module plugs into the amp in one harness. I disconnected mine b/c of my subs. But the ANC turns off/changes with the door open.

I would check that first.
Thanks for the suggestion, zero change on all sources. Which one are you guys leaning toward? Amp or Stereo?

To summarize:

- AM/ FM- Constant Static, not crisp at all, some popping
- CD- Horrible, popping, clipping, sounds like she's gonna fry
- XM- Preview channel only right now, but it's in between the AM/FM (slightly worse) and the CD (slightly better)
- NAV Directions/ Voice Commands- Seems completely fine
- Bluetooth Phone- Seems fine. I've held a few long conversations, and it's sounds good

Thoughts?
Old 04-23-2012, 12:07 PM
Cruisin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I picked up an '05 a few months ago which came with Music Link as well. I thought it was broken when I got it, but it turned out the controls and interface are just really terrible.

1. I get not visual indication that the iPod is connected.

2. it wouldn't play at first until I made sure it was on cd/dvd and I pushed 5 or 6 on the stereo. This cycles through shuffle or manual mode I believe. Several months into it and I don't understand exactly how the interface works. Reading through the Music Link manual would be a worthy investment of time.
Old 04-23-2012, 02:23 PM

Originally Posted by thenewblack
I picked up an '05 a few months ago which came with Music Link as well. I thought it was broken when I got it, but it turned out the controls and interface are just really terrible.

1. I get not visual indication that the iPod is connected.

2. it wouldn't play at first until I made sure it was on cd/dvd and I pushed 5 or 6 on the stereo. This cycles through shuffle or manual mode I believe. Several months into it and I don't understand exactly how the interface works. Reading through the Music Link manual would be a worthy investment of time.
Acura did a terrible integration for this and stopped selling it. I actually tried getting it later because I felt that some integration was better than nothing. Acura wouldn't even sell it to me.
Old 04-23-2012, 02:50 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by Tizodm80
Thanks for the suggestion, zero change on all sources. Which one are you guys leaning toward? Amp or Stereo?

To summarize:

- AM/ FM- Constant Static, not crisp at all, some popping
- CD- Horrible, popping, clipping, sounds like she's gonna fry
- XM- Preview channel only right now, but it's in between the AM/FM (slightly worse) and the CD (slightly better)
- NAV Directions/ Voice Commands- Seems completely fine
- Bluetooth Phone- Seems fine. I've held a few long conversations, and it's sounds good

Thoughts?
I know we have touched on isolating each speaker somewhat, but I did not see a definitive post from you saying that you manually isolated each speaker with the fader/balance. Did you do this?
Old 04-23-2012, 07:48 PM
Intermediate

I know we have touched on isolating each speaker somewhat, but I did not see a definitive post from you saying that you manually isolated each speaker with the fader/balance. Did you do this?
I did indeed. Each speaker has the same symptom to the same degree. I am ruling out the speakers at least. The amp can be had for around $150 or so on FleaBay, and the headunit for around $300-$400. I'd rather it be the amp of course, I just don't want to spend the $150 and THEN find out it wasn't the amp.

Just doing simple stuff to it till I figure out (or someone knows) how to proceed. Did the wipers, some interior LED's, and the cabin air filter (gross) tonight. Oh, and in ghetto fabulous fashion a chrome license plate bracket. It was tough to come to that decision, but I think it fits this car.
Old 04-23-2012, 08:50 PM
Senior Moderator

Can you turn HFL up loud enough to get the same effect? I find it hard to pin point the amp with some sources not doing it.

Have you unplugged that iPod connection yet?
The following users liked this post:
HEAVY_RL (04-23-2012)
Old 04-23-2012, 09:33 PM
Intermediate

Can you turn HFL up loud enough to get the same effect? I find it hard to pin point the amp with some sources not doing it.

Have you unplugged that iPod connection yet?
Yes, iPod (Acura Music Link) is no longer connected. Nothing changed sound quality wise honestly.

I did that this afternoon ironically. Turned the FM on, crackle crackle, and called myself from my other phone. Now the weird part is that the radio didn't actually stop, but HFL kicked in. I hung up. Turned the radio to vol-40 and hit the talk button again. Radio didn't turn off again. I don't think this is actually correct honestly, I believe that source should be shut off when you hit the talk button...um...so you can talk. At any rate it yielded no cracking of any kind at full blast. What I should do it try the same thing with the CD Source. If the HORRID cracking goes away...it's the deck (I think).

I'm going to try that right now.................{Jeopardy Music}...............

OK, CD on , Deftones, it's horrid even at vol-5, hit talk...WHOA...MUSIC...clear as a freaking bell. Jacked to vol-40 and it's crisp, bass is great, etc, etc.

So Gents, I'm thinking Deck. Yea or Nay?

Todd
Old 04-23-2012, 09:37 PM
Intermediate

Or it could still be the amp as I sit and think of it more. Is the amp responsible for the source distribution, and HFL change-overs? I'm confused and over analyzing at this point. I'm not stranger to audio, but this one has me stumped due to the overall complexity of the system in the RL.
Old 04-23-2012, 10:05 PM
Senior Moderator

I'm not sure I follow. Are you saying that when HFL tries to take over the audio is clear?

Also, 40?!?!? I have never gone above 24. Did I read that/you type that correctly?

I would consult the troubleshooting of the service manual before buying a part.
Old 04-23-2012, 10:34 PM
Intermediate

I'm not sure I follow. Are you saying that when HFL tries to take over the audio is clear?

Also, 40?!?!? I have never gone above 24. Did I read that/you type that correctly?

I would consult the troubleshooting of the service manual before buying a part.
OK, here is exactly what happens:

- Get in car, turn her on
- Turn radio on CD let's say, sound plays, sounds like crap
- Hit "Talk" button, HFL appears on the display, I hear the DING, HOWEVER the music DOES NOT get shut off. The sound indeed changes to the way the voice sounds (if you know what I mean) but the CD doesn't stop as I think it should.
- Now, when the HFL is on, the sound from the CD player is GREAT, no cracks, pops, or anything. It is kinda that same muffled sound like the voice is. I have to think you guys know what I mean here.

Now this was great for testing, not so great when I get a phone call, or want to place a call. The CD is STILL PLAYING and you cannot hear the persons voice at all. I think that HFL should be turning off/ muting the other source as you use the phone correct?

When I hit the other talk-ish button (for HVAC Commands ETC) then the source that is playing does indeed get muted (as I believe it should)

vol-40 seems kinda quiet in all honesty. vol-24 isn't even loud enough to drown out wind noise. Having never seen/ been in another RL I'm going to assume by your response that this isn't normal , but seriously, it isn't loud at all.

I would love to consult a service manual, anyone have a link?
Old 04-23-2012, 11:12 PM
Senior Moderator

Second thread in the main forum is the "Garage"; its in there. Something is jacked up badly. Anything above 20 is loud. Still, that doesn't necessarily point to the HU or amp.
Old 04-24-2012, 07:00 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 180 Likes on 129 Posts
OP - is the volume approximately the same between sources when the volume is set to 20? I am wondering if somebody has changed out the speakers to 4 ohm or 8 ohm which would account for you having a higher control level than the rest of us?
Old 04-24-2012, 07:01 AM
Suzuka Master

Take the HFL module out

Quick Reply: Just picked up an 05' Few Questions- Specifically Speakers Crackling