Intermittent Traffic Info failure on start up

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2005, 06:42 PM
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Intermittent Traffic Info failure on start up

I have noticed that I have no traffic information on the navigation system (Philadelphia metro area) whenever I start the car in the underground garage at my office. It takes a couple of minutes to get out of the garage, and I get an XM radio signal as soon as I exit. However, there is no traffic information displayed. Exactly 15 minutes after starting the car (in the underground garage), the "Traffic" bar on the map scale disappears.

After exiting the garage, if I stop, turn the car off, and restart (to reboot the Nav system), traffic information shows up within a couple of minutes.

I only observed this problem once when NOT parked in the underground garage -- this was when parked in my home garage, where the XM signal is weak and intermittent. Most times, the traffic info works fine when the car is started up in my home garage, and there is never a problem with I start the car in the open.

Has anyone else had a similar problem? There is another thread about intermittent loss of traffic info, but the problems discussed there sound different. Anyone know if there is a problem with traffic info if the nav system can't get an XM signal on startup?
Old 01-24-2005, 08:36 PM
8-)
...just another stooge...

I have no problems with Nav traffic in Philly. My car is not garaged though.
Old 01-24-2005, 09:58 PM
Racer

It makes sense that you don't get Traffic in underground, as the live traffic is via XM. But then, if you could get XM radio when out of the garage without restarting the car, you should also be able to get XM NavTraffic without restarting. I have not pay attention to this aspect.
Old 01-25-2005, 07:01 AM
Advanced

I haven't noticed this with my RL and my office parking garage in DC. There is no XM signal while parked in the garage, but when I get out of the garage the traffic information usually shows up almost right away.

I have read that turning the starting knob back to the starting position after the car is started does not re-engage the starter, but it supposedly reboots the navigation system. You might want to give that a shot after leaving the garage and see what happens. Again, I haven't tried it so do so at your own risk.
Old 01-25-2005, 10:18 AM
Advanced

One more thing to try is to not press the "OK" button on the legal disclaimer screen before you leave the garage. I'm guessing that the XM data is not read until you press that button, but I could be wrong.
Old 01-26-2005, 07:42 PM
7th Gear

I have tried waiting until I am out of the garage and in the clear to press the OK button for the nav system -- this doesn't help -- there is still no traffic data unless I reboot the system. Thanks for the suggestion on rebooting by turning the ignition back to start without turning the engine off -- does anyone else know if this might work? Is there any danger in trying this?

The problem continues to occur every day when parked in the underground garage. It is never a problem when the car is started outside.
Old 02-06-2005, 02:04 PM
7th Gear

Originally Posted by larryka
I haven't noticed this with my RL and my office parking garage in DC. There is no XM signal while parked in the garage, but when I get out of the garage the traffic information usually shows up almost right away.

I have read that turning the starting knob back to the starting position after the car is started does not re-engage the starter, but it supposedly reboots the navigation system. You might want to give that a shot after leaving the garage and see what happens. Again, I haven't tried it so do so at your own risk.

Turning the starter knob to the start position while the engine is running DOES appear to reset the audio and nav systems. If I do this after exiting the garage, traffic info show up within a couple of minutes, so I am assuming the problem I described above is a software glitch that has to do with the ability of the nav-traffic info system to acquire the XM signal if it was not present on startup. In any event, the reset works fine, and I will ask the dealer about it when I am due for routine service.
Old 02-06-2005, 02:38 PM
Retired MOD

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Remember navtraffic updates every 5 minutes, so with that said, after you exit the underground garage and you get signal, you might have to wait a few minutes before the next update. Who knows if the system times out after it doesn't get a signal within a few minutes.
Old 02-06-2005, 03:09 PM
9th Gear

Traffic problem

We have noticed a similar problem, except it is not intermittent. We get no traffic information and the traffic <traffic> symbol disappears from the scale. We were told by our our service advisor and by the folks at the customer service number, option 3) that Acura is preparing a general fix for this problem... sometime soon. Report the problem to your service manager or to Acura central so that you can be informed when the fix is ready for installation.
Old 02-06-2005, 03:09 PM
Racer

No problem here with my underground Chicago garage - where I don't lose XM signal at all. But then maybe Chicago gets XM loving and Philly gets football team loving.
Old 02-07-2005, 10:54 AM
Intermediate

XM Nav Traffic

Just talked to Acura CS - they have a fix for the Nav Traffic icon/traffic info system. There's going to be a bulletin issued this week to the dealer network & they should have the new control units shortly.
Old 02-14-2005, 04:15 PM
Retired MOD

https://acurazine.com/forums/showthr...=3313#post3313