If I Could Change Just One Thing On My Rl It Would Be......

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2006, 09:00 AM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If I Could Change Just One Thing On My Rl It Would Be......

Although I think the RL is almost the perfect car...for me....there are a few things about it I would change.
The styling is a little too understated, but I park it on the streets of Newark, NJ so that might be a plus. The rear seats would be great if they folded down making rear cargo access better.
With only a few titles available in DVD-A format...it would be great if the audio system played the Super CD format.

That's about it....oh yeah...how about 50 miles per gallon.
Old 12-01-2006, 09:32 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
I spoke to my delaer about folding seats and he told me the decision was made to keep the seats fixed because folding seats tend to let mor noise through and they wanted a quieter cabin. Not sure if it's the true reason but it's something...

LL
Old 12-01-2006, 10:13 AM
2012 Cadillac CTS-V Coupe

Received 95 Likes on 66 Posts
Originally Posted by lland
I spoke to my delaer about folding seats and he told me the decision was made to keep the seats fixed because folding seats tend to let mor noise through and they wanted a quieter cabin. Not sure if it's the true reason but it's something...

LL
That and rigidity.
Old 12-01-2006, 11:04 AM
Advanced

Better seats.

Sit in a Mercedes and it's a big difference. Would be nice if they were ventilated/cooled and grippier for fast driving too.

#2 would be to make it smaller since I don't need all the space and #3 would be to remove the Bose noise cancellation feature because it scares me.
Old 12-01-2006, 11:12 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
Tighten the turning circle, for goodness' sake. My G2 Legend was awesome in this regard.

The RL seats couldn't get much better IMHO. Maybe if they were cooled.

Rob144
Old 12-01-2006, 11:31 AM
Trolling Canuckistan

Received 811 Likes on 644 Posts
Originally Posted by Qest
Better seats.

Sit in a Mercedes and it's a big difference. Would be nice if they were ventilated/cooled and grippier for fast driving too.

#2 would be to make it smaller since I don't need all the space and #3 would be to remove the Bose noise cancellation feature because it scares me.
Out of curiosity, why does ANC scare you?
Old 12-01-2006, 11:49 AM
Alpha Geek

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
6 speed Short throw manual transmission.
Old 12-01-2006, 01:01 PM
Advanced

ANC scares me because it works by making noise to cancel noise. Maybe I'm paranoid, but I'm worried that it's damaging my hearing with loud noises I don't notice.

As long as the system is functioning perfectly, there's really no worries, but a small delay, or error could double the sound rather than cancel it. Hearing damage is cumulative, and permanent.
Old 12-01-2006, 01:33 PM
Pro

Bigger paddle shifters, less lean-bigger sway bars, 50 more hp, firmer brake peddle.

I would not worry about hearing loss with the ANC, you would need high volume for extended periods to get hearing loss.
Old 12-01-2006, 03:53 PM
06 RL - Carbon Gray Pearl

This is minor....but I would rather see a big "push" buttons (like the TL) to increase or decrease the temperature setting. I don't like how one has to push up or down the tiny temperature control by 1 degree each time. I don't like the location of it either. Your arms is hanging without any support while trying to pin point the controls. I know, I know, use the voice command but sometimes you just want to be quiet esepcially when there are passengers with you. That's it...everything else is great!
Old 12-01-2006, 04:28 PM
Safety Car

Received 420 Likes on 314 Posts
I'd like to see the temperature control actually work, so I don't have to keep changing the setting!
Old 12-01-2006, 04:55 PM
Trolling Canuckistan

Received 811 Likes on 644 Posts
ANC scares me because it works by making noise to cancel noise. Maybe I'm paranoid, but I'm worried that it's damaging my hearing with loud noises I don't notice.

As long as the system is functioning perfectly, there's really no worries, but a small delay, or error could double the sound rather than cancel it. Hearing damage is cumulative, and permanent.
There is a small plastic square with a pin hole in it just behind the lighting/moonroof switch/onstar/homelink complex. That is one of 2 ANC microphones that monitor sound. Put your finger over that while the engine is running (preferrably while on the highway) and listen to the extra noise. That extra noise is the noise that is being blocked by ANC.

ANC works be emitting inaudible frequencies to counteract audible frequencies. If the sound being blocked were doubled instead, it still would not be deafening (or damaging). You have more of a chance damaging your hearing listening to an ipod through headphones or even to your RL stereo at half volume.
Old 12-01-2006, 06:09 PM
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Push button On and push the same button OFF for ignition. I now leave a note on the steering wheel when I give the car to a valet reminding them to verify by checking the dsahboard that the car is OFF. Too many dead batteries and few apologies from the valets (though LOTS of excuses!). I know that I only pay them a few bucks, but it shouldn't ake a PhD in logic to park the car and turn it off. Solved the "no key ring" problem by buying a small clear pouch with a key ring that holds the fob.
Old 12-01-2006, 06:41 PM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'd really like to see a better clock design or location. On sunny days, it's impossible to see anything in the position the clock is now in.
Old 12-01-2006, 11:18 PM
Instructor

Ok two things not just one. First and foremost Laser cruise control or active cruise control without the rest of the package that you have to buy.

And why in the helll is there not Radio Data Display for FM. That extra chip could not have cost more than .25 cents. Even Fords haver RDS in their car radio's?
Old 12-01-2006, 11:28 PM
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
- Vented Seating

- 22/31 MPG (Wishful thinking on an AWD vechile)

- Push Button Start/Stop Ignition

- More leg room in the rear

Other than that.... love my RL!
Old 12-02-2006, 12:34 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 66 Likes on 45 Posts
I agree with ventilated seating and a start/stop button. Just bear in mind that the European version of our car uses an actual key in the ignition, so the knob we have is probably a less-expensive way to implement keyless ignition in North America while omitting it in Europe.

Also, when I have the valet park the car, I leave the CD player on at a fairly high volume. That way, if the CD player is still running, then they know the car isn't completely off.
Old 12-02-2006, 07:53 AM
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
I think the seats are fine other than the lack of ventilation. My past car, a Lincoln LS V8 had this feature and I absolutely loved it in the humid summer months.
Puddle lights under the rearview mirrors for the approach to the car at night would be nice.
Old 12-02-2006, 11:35 AM
Instructor

Talking

Originally Posted by kmcheney
I think the seats are fine other than the lack of ventilation. My past car, a Lincoln LS V8 had this feature and I absolutely loved it in the humid summer months.
Puddle lights under the rearview mirrors for the approach to the car at night would be nice.
1. Better iPod software interface...use the screen and knob for crying out loud!

2. Put a turbo in it....no V8 envy at all.

3. Better exhaust pipes.

4. Better looking/cheaper spoilers/aero package...

JB
Old 12-02-2006, 01:37 PM
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by jhr3uva90
Also, when I have the valet park the car, I leave the CD player on at a fairly high volume. That way, if the CD player is still running, then they know the car isn't completely off.
Excellent idea!! I'll have to use that next time. I did feel a bit foolish leaving a note on the steering wheel for the valet, but it was the only thing I could think of.

Thanks!
Old 12-02-2006, 02:12 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 66 Likes on 45 Posts
No problem. The note on the steering wheel is a good idea, but I would worry about valets who have less than ideal English-reading skills.
Old 12-02-2006, 02:14 PM
05 slate grey e500 AMG sp

Sirius & Audio system play regular DVD's like infiniti so you woud not have to rip them & convert to dvd-a to listen to concert dvds
Old 12-02-2006, 03:12 PM
Cruisin'

1. Better OEM rims
2. The interior trim of the driver and passenger doors seem to ride a little bit higher than the the window.
3. Better Nav screen in bright light situations
4. Thicker leather trim
Old 12-02-2006, 04:38 PM
'06 RL

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by black label
ANC works be emitting inaudible frequencies to counteract audible frequencies.
Actually, that's not correct.... the ANC is emitting sound at exactly the same frequency as the noise it's trying to cancel -- just at inverse phase. And it's not emitting 100% of the power -- it's a logarithmic scale, so it's emitting a fraction of the power necessary, just enough to bring the noise down to a comfortable level.

It's "inaudiable" because the energy that's being put into the cabin by the speakers cancels out the sound energy leaking into the cabin -- because it's 180 degrees out of phase. If you were to isolate what the ANC system is playing without the road noise... it'd sound just like road noise.

But you need not worry about losing your hearing, because (a) it's less sound energy than the road noise, and that's certainly not enough to deafen you, and (b) the cancelling sound waves means there's no sound pressure -- the sound energy is dissapated. All it does is make the air in the cabin infinitesimally warmer.

Don't let ignorance breed fear.

Oh yeah, my big changes -- make the real time traffic actually factor into the route guidance, make the iPod Link actually WORK and show me song and album info on the navi screen, and better OEM tires.
Old 12-02-2006, 04:42 PM
Advanced

You're right.
Old 12-02-2006, 04:44 PM
Advanced

What tires would you suggest for OEM? I know I'll be looking at seperate summer and winter rubber, but I think most RL buyers will enjoy the no-season Michelins that come with the car.
Old 12-02-2006, 05:19 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 30 Likes on 18 Posts
What tires would you suggest for OEM? I know I'll be looking at seperate summer and winter rubber, but I think most RL buyers will enjoy the no-season Michelins that come with the car.
The Pilot Sport A/S would be a good default tire for the RL. It's not that much more expensive than the stock Michelins I believe.
Old 12-02-2006, 11:54 PM
Advanced

I can't comment on performance, but as a company, Michelin would be my last choice. Few regional dealers carry Michelin, and they all agree that it's nearly impossible to get any kind of customer service satisfaction from Michelin. You can spend an entire day reading customer complaints on the web.
Old 12-03-2006, 12:39 AM
Advanced

Choice of Pilot Sport or Pilot Sport A/S is included in the OEM A-Spec package for people who won't mind the increased noise and harshness. Though, I think the Pilot Sport and PS A/S is an older, possibly obsolete, design.
Old 12-03-2006, 11:06 PM
Cruisin'

1 I was surprised after I purchased the car that the passenger front seat did not have up or down adjustments. I previously owned an Acura Legend and expected a "luxury" car would have this feature. Felt I was cheated!!!
2. The wheels should be sound insulated from the cabin so that you do not hear tire noise. Ruins the quietness of the cabin!
Old 12-04-2006, 06:18 AM
Alpha Geek

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
WRONG!! I HATE that Honda/Acura uses Michelins for most of their OEM tire needs.

My suggestion? Dunlops...just about any Dunlop kicks Michelin's a$$
Old 12-04-2006, 07:21 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 30 Likes on 18 Posts
Choice of Pilot Sport or Pilot Sport A/S is included in the OEM A-Spec package for people who won't mind the increased noise and harshness. Though, I think the Pilot Sport and PS A/S is an older, possibly obsolete, design.
My suggestion of Pilot Sport A/S was based on the assumption that Acura would likely keep Michelins on the RL. My car came with the A-Spec rims and Pilot Sport summer tires on it. I recently swapped them out for the Pirelli PZero Nero M+S tires and am very happy with them. Cheaper than the Michelins too.
Old 12-04-2006, 07:53 AM
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
I actually like Michelin tires. I've owned Dulops, Perelli's, even Goodyears, over the years and I've always gone back to Michelin. I've never had a Michelin leave me stranded, come apart, wear prematurely, or explode. I can't say the same for the other brands.
Old 12-04-2006, 01:06 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Some more power would be nice, but I'm working on that , just added the aem cai and next up is a pulley.
Old 12-04-2006, 01:51 PM
06 RL - Carbon Gray Pearl

touge - i had Injen cai in my TL and loved it. How is it with the RL? Did it add to the sound and can you feel the added horses?
Old 12-04-2006, 02:35 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
yes on both accounts!
Old 12-04-2006, 02:43 PM
06 RL Lakeshore Silver

three things:

1) Auto sensing windshield wippers. Heck my 04MDX had it, why doesn't the RL

2) 3 inches added for leg room for the back seats. For a car that has 194" length, the leg room in the back is rather tight. (from what I hear...LOL)

3) Auto closing trunk. Again, with all the tech on this car, why did they leave that out.
Old 12-04-2006, 05:11 PM
Safety Car

Received 312 Likes on 198 Posts
Originally Posted by Touge
Some more power would be nice, but I'm working on that , just added the aem cai and next up is a pulley.

AEM does not show a CAI application for the RL. Where did you get yours?
Old 12-04-2006, 07:58 PM
Cruisin'

Heated steering wheel

Very few cars offer one. I bet it would be popular!
Old 12-04-2006, 10:31 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by kmcheney
I actually like Michelin tires. I've owned Dulops, Perelli's, even Goodyears, over the years and I've always gone back to Michelin. I've never had a Michelin leave me stranded, come apart, wear prematurely, or explode. I can't say the same for the other brands.
Which is a good thing, but my point is that from my experience, Michelin will not be there for you when that does happen.

Quick Reply: If I Could Change Just One Thing On My Rl It Would Be......