I want an RL and need some opinions

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2012, 08:50 PM
J-series addict

Received 615 Likes on 465 Posts
I want an RL and need some opinions

Ok, I've been eyeballing all of your RLs and have pretty much reached a conclusion on this being my next Acura (we have four now) and would like some feedback by those who have or have had one. Firstly, I love the (as slogan quotes) 'aggression in its most elegant form' feel from owning an Acura...or however that saying goes. As most of you are, I am performance oriented. I also like the fancy electronics and features as well. But performance more so! I have an 07 MDX and have always wanted the 3.7 in feel in a car so I know it will be an 09 forward. I guess what I am looking for is a "raw" review...kept short and to the point.

*how do you rate the 3.7s performance on such a heavy car?
*are the electronics dependable in regards to issues/failure?
*do you regret your decision in purchasing the car?
*is the 09 model and up and "better" choice out of the generations?
*assuming most family sedan Acura models have a poor performance market, how is the RLs in comparison?
*why do you hardly ever see them out on the road...seriously!?
Old 09-24-2012, 09:23 PM

Received 16,267 Likes on 11,974 Posts
Dont mess up this motor too.
Old 09-24-2012, 09:29 PM
Racer

Received 60 Likes on 52 Posts
We all have 3.5's, In our cars... Maybe edmunds can lend you a hand, as for my 05 with the 3.5 I'm just tickled to death to have such a wonderfully engineered machine and have yet to have an issue and with the pcds j pipe pulley custom I take and custom exhaust I have the power I needed with an elegant sound. I'm sure the 3.7 has as much potential but I haven't done any research on that
Old 09-24-2012, 09:55 PM
J-series addict

Originally Posted by justnspace
Dont mess up this motor too.
Damn! Bad rep follows everywhere you go!

Lol, thanks for the support there bro...

Originally Posted by 253RL
We all have 3.5's, In our cars... Maybe edmunds can lend you a hand, as for my 05 with the 3.5 I'm just tickled to death to have such a wonderfully engineered machine and have yet to have an issue and with the pcds j pipe pulley custom I take and custom exhaust I have the power I needed with an elegant sound. I'm sure the 3.7 has as much potential but I haven't done any research on that
Thank you for the review. Expected words nonetheless.

Can anyone tell me why the 07-08 TL-S and the 2G RL both carry the J35A8 but the RL has slightly more horsepower? I've read that the cams are the only variation.
Old 09-25-2012, 06:12 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 180 Likes on 129 Posts
OP - you have 4 Acuras so you probably know the reliability of our RL's is good.
You already own a 3.7 in the MDX so you know that engine too. The MDX is 500lbs heavier so the MMC RL will be significantly better than the 3.5 RL.
Reading this forum for 5 minutes will tell you that rarely do you ever find a member who is dissapointed with their RL.
As to why you don't see many on the road, it's because most people are not as smart as RL owners and they paid more for less car!

So what is the real reason you posted these questions?
Old 09-25-2012, 07:29 AM
J-series addict

For feedback. I call it "research".
Old 09-25-2012, 07:47 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 180 Likes on 129 Posts
Originally Posted by yungone501
For feedback. I call it "research".
OK.
The RL will be the best quality Acura that you have ever owned. It won't be the fastest but SH-AWD will make up for the performance by being one of the quickest cars especially in the rain. Post MMC will be bullit proof in reliability but not the highest tech that you can find. The fact that there are few on the road only adds to the exclusivity. Most mods to this car give you very little bang for the buck. Get ACC and CMBS.
Done deal - go get your checkbook.
Old 09-25-2012, 08:06 AM

Originally Posted by yungone501
Can anyone tell me why the 07-08 TL-S and the 2G RL both carry the J35A8 but the RL has slightly more horsepower? I've read that the cams are the only variation.
Because the RL is the flagship car.
you cant have the lower of the two passing in hp!!

the 07-08 type-s will be the faster of the two, however, due to weight and less drive train losses.
the sh-awd weighs a ton and saps power.
but will likely put up a fight in the corners.
Old 09-25-2012, 08:45 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 7,248 Likes on 4,859 Posts
^Partially true considering the current TL out-powers the RL.

OP, the MMC RL will not blow you away with power, but don't be fooled. It is no slouch. It is rated for 0-60 in the 6.1 second range. 037 has recorded 5.9s. By comparison, a 535i is in the 5.5s range. The car is heavy and has poor low-end torque. However, once you pass 3500 RPM, the butterfly intake valves open fully, and you will feel a significant pull. At 4900 RPM, VTEC engages, and that is when the fun starts. One of my top favorite things about the RL is the 60-90 mph acceleration. The full time paddle shifters are a great feature and the increased shift speed of the MMC is a great help over the 2G.

The electronics are solid from experience here.

We have only seen a handful of people here who say they regret getting their RL, and that is more of an issue with buying a used car with poor inspection more than actually not liking the model.

I believe the MMC is better than the 2G. There are enough improvements to overcome the beak (which I don't think is bad) and the loss of knob shifting.

This question regarding mods is where a red flag comes barreling into the conversation. The mod market for the 2G RL is non-existent compared to a TL. It is even smaller for the MMC. No one here has proven any of the engine mods will fit the 3.7L. There are springs, wheels, intakes, and of course CAT-backs, but that is about the limit of bolt on mods for the MMC. If you are a heavy modder and aren't into building custom stuff, I would suggest against the MMC.

The exclusivity of the RL is due in large part to Acura's marketing. Acura had two commercials for the RL in late 2004 and 2005. Two. By the end of 2006, they had been pulled. During the holiday season last year, the MMC was used as the model shown during the fine print disclosures of the sales event, and "RL" was no where to be found on the page. For the most part, no one knows what an RL is. As a whole, Acura markets their entire lineup very poorly. Many people see an Acura as a Honda and a Lexus as a Lexus, not a Toyota. Lexus does a good job of distancing themselves from Toyota and giving their customers a feeling of being better than a Toyota owner. A lot of people looking to get into a luxury sedan are looking for a status, and Acura does not give them that. There is no German badge on the hood, and when you consider that many Acura models had cloth seats throughout the 90's, it really isn't a surprise. At this point in time, if someone does consider an Acura during their car search, they will likely have a hard time justifying and extra $5-10k for a car that is the same size and has most of the same features of a TL. Add in that the TL is more of a "driver's car", and the MMC was setup for failure. Still, most flagships are never intended to be big sellers. Their purpose is to pioneer features that will trickle down to lesser models that people can afford. They are meant to bring people to the brand, not the model. Personally, I like having a car that I may drive for a month and not see another on the road.

Last edited by oo7spy; 09-25-2012 at 08:49 AM.
Old 09-25-2012, 10:58 AM

^and he's no stranger to mods.
He just blew his 2nd gen TL's motor.
remember younge one, that the 3.7 block is more fragile than ours.
Old 09-25-2012, 02:28 PM

Received 612 Likes on 490 Posts
[quote=db22;14059641]OK.
The RL will be the best quality Acura that you have ever owned. It won't be the fastest but SH-AWD will make up for the performance by being one of the quickest cars especially in the rain.quote]

Exactly Driver confidence in the rain is worth a million $$$

Originally Posted by oo7spy
^Partially true considering the current TL out-powers the RL.

OP, the MMC RL will not blow you away with power, but don't be fooled. It is no slouch. It is rated for 0-60 in the 6.1 second range. 037 has recorded 5.9s. By comparison, a 535i is in the 5.5s range. The car is heavy and has poor low-end torque. However, once you pass 3500 RPM, the butterfly intake valves open fully, and you will feel a significant pull. At 4900 RPM, VTEC engages, and that is when the fun starts. One of my top favorite things about the RL is the 60-90 mph acceleration. The full time paddle shifters are a great feature and the increased shift speed of the MMC is a great help over the 2G.

The electronics are solid from experience here.

We have only seen a handful of people here who say they regret getting their RL, and that is more of an issue with buying a used car with poor inspection more than actually not liking the model.

I believe the MMC is better than the 2G. There are enough improvements to overcome the beak (which I don't think is bad) and the loss of knob shifting.

This question regarding mods is where a red flag comes barreling into the conversation. The mod market for the 2G RL is non-existent compared to a TL. It is even smaller for the MMC. No one here has proven any of the engine mods will fit the 3.7L. There are springs, wheels, intakes, and of course CAT-backs, but that is about the limit of bolt on mods for the MMC. If you are a heavy modder and aren't into building custom stuff, I would suggest against the MMC.

The exclusivity of the RL is due in large part to Acura's marketing. Acura had two commercials for the RL in late 2004 and 2005. Two. By the end of 2006, they had been pulled. During the holiday season last year, the MMC was used as the model shown during the fine print disclosures of the sales event, and "RL" was no where to be found on the page. For the most part, no one knows what an RL is. As a whole, Acura markets their entire lineup very poorly. Many people see an Acura as a Honda and a Lexus as a Lexus, not a Toyota. Lexus does a good job of distancing themselves from Toyota and giving their customers a feeling of being better than a Toyota owner. A lot of people looking to get into a luxury sedan are looking for a status, and Acura does not give them that. There is no German badge on the hood, and when you consider that many Acura models had cloth seats throughout the 90's, it really isn't a surprise. At this point in time, if someone does consider an Acura during their car search, they will likely have a hard time justifying and extra $5-10k for a car that is the same size and has most of the same features of a TL. Add in that the TL is more of a "driver's car", and the MMC was setup for failure. Still, most flagships are never intended to be big sellers. Their purpose is to pioneer features that will trickle down to lesser models that people can afford. They are meant to bring people to the brand, not the model. Personally, I like having a car that I may drive for a month and not see another on the road.
Well said sir.

As for the OP, the TL and RL made my final cut for cars, and I considered more that a few options outside of Acura. We all know what won out. The RL grows on me every day. Seriously.
Old 09-26-2012, 10:40 AM
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Purchased an 2009 RL last week and stumbled upon this site. What is MMC RL and 2G version?
Old 09-26-2012, 11:49 AM
Torch & Pitchfork Posse

Received 1,806 Likes on 793 Posts
Originally Posted by snakedoctor2k
Purchased an 2009 RL last week and stumbled upon this site. What is MMC RL and 2G version?
The 2nd Generating RL spans 2005 - 2013 iterations of the model.
MMC (Mid Model Change) refers to the revised iteration of the model span launched in 2009 (and spans to the 2013 model run).

Typically a manufacturer offers a refresh / update a few years after a model launch with small changes in features and options year to year. The MMC RL was a significant update with front and rear fascia changes, new engine (3.7) and eventually a 6 speed tranny. Some feature updates and changes as well (wheel sizes,color options, electronic updates, etc). But the car structure, primary body panels and interior are virtually the same.

Some members prefer to think the 2009+ MMC RL is a new generation RL (3rd), which it is not.

The new RLX launches in 2013 as a 2014 model and will likely be considered 1st Generation RLX instead of 3rd Generation RL.
The following users liked this post:
neuronbob (09-26-2012)
Old 09-26-2012, 03:30 PM
2nd Gear

Sorry to hijack the thread, but I am also in market for a 2009 RL( or later model). My question to you guys, is do u think there will be a significant drop in price for the 2009 RL when the new 2013 RL comes out. If so, I guess I wouldn't mind waiting a few more months when the 2013 drops, to save a little cash. Also I would think there would be more of them coming up for sale b/c people would be returning their leased RL's for the new ones. Thanx in advance for ur help guys.
Old 09-26-2012, 03:40 PM
Torch & Pitchfork Posse

Received 1,806 Likes on 793 Posts
Originally Posted by rio023
Sorry to hijack the thread, but I am also in market for a 2009 RL( or later model). My question to you guys, is do u think there will be a significant drop in price for the 2009 RL when the new 2013 RL comes out. If so, I guess I wouldn't mind waiting a few more months when the 2013 drops, to save a little cash. Also I would think there would be more of them coming up for sale b/c people would be returning their leased RL's for the new ones. Thanx in advance for ur help guys.
Probably not. The RL is an anomaly in automobile marketing logic.

The 2013s are already built...same as 2012s. Acura will just ration out the remaining inventory and at some point sticker the remainder as 2013s...if not already. The 2014 RLX will likely come online around March, so the 2013 Model Year will be short lived until inventory evaporates. Also, being in limited supply, current / new RLs are not driving down prices of earlier model years dramatically.

The 2nd Gen RL price drops will hit once the 2014 RLX become available. So 2nd Gen owners who wish to SELL may wish to market before March. Those who wish to BUY a 2nd Gen RL may want to wait until the RLX hits the market.

But I am a true believer to buy what you want whenever you find the car price point YOU feel the car is valued.
Old 09-26-2012, 09:23 PM
Racer

Received 28 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by rio023
just purchased a 2009 rl in aug traded in my 07. if you can get your hands on one it's definitely worth it .
Old 09-26-2012, 09:59 PM
2nd Gear

Thanx for the responses guys. Right now I'm in a 2001 TL with 165,000 miles and wanted to get a new car by 200,000 miles. So I'm not particularly in a rush at this point, so I'll just wait for the perfect RL to show up and make that deal. Thanx once again for your help.
Old 09-28-2012, 08:14 AM
J-series addict

I appreciate the feedback everyone. Im seeing alot of RL owners that happy with their decision which really doesn't suprise me. I am an absolute stranger however when it comes to the 2g RL and quite honestly don't know much about Acura's most elegant (IMO) model and I believe thats exactly what allures me to the car. I see them from time to time out on the road and it's one of those cars you don't stop looking at until it's left your presence...they're stunning. Although I'm seriously entertaining the purchase of the RL, I'm trying to play it smart by searching for a low mileage preowned one that has been well maintained. I waited to buy my MDX without impulse and ended up getting a smoking deal (at the time) for 18K on an 07 model. I've pretty much adopted this method of purchasing cars as the best because you get a relatively new car for fractions of the cost. My wife would shoot me in the stomach if she knew about my plan as I'm currently dumping ALOT of $$$ into my TL-S and now that it's getting a new 'built' motor, I'm totally redoing it all while the motor is out. She doesn't mind me having my toys but has already reached the mindset that ive maxxed out my 'toy limit'. But you know, my DD is down and need this RL! ;-)
Old 09-28-2012, 08:37 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 7,248 Likes on 4,859 Posts
I searched for a couple months before finding my RL. I had to fly 800 miles to pick it up, but in the end I drove home a CPO 3.5 year old car with 27k miles for 1/2 of MSRP. I don't regret that wait in any sense.
Old 09-28-2012, 08:45 PM
J-series addict

I searched for a couple months before finding my RL. I had to fly 800 miles to pick it up, but in the end I drove home a CPO 3.5 year old car with 27k miles for 1/2 of MSRP. I don't regret that wait in any sense.
Good things come to those who wait.

Im a very impulsive shopper when it comes to anything. I've learned there are some things you CAN'T be that way with...and cars are one of them. My very first car ever was a 1987 Accord that I bought off a used car lot for a grand total of $500. Drove it 11 miles home, pulled in the drive way and as I reached up to turn the motor off it just died. Popped the hood and pulled the dipstick to find sawdust all over the end of the dipstick! (used to hide bad rings)
Old 09-28-2012, 08:53 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,043 Likes on 848 Posts
I drove from Va to Ga to pick mine up... was still under factory warranty and has given me 90k of great miles and is still strong.
Old 09-28-2012, 10:26 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 76 Likes on 64 Posts
Dont buy a RL get a TL... lol
Old 09-28-2012, 10:37 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,043 Likes on 848 Posts
Originally Posted by ichi d
Dont buy a RL get a TL... lol
I dont think it was a coincidence that this was post 666 for you.

Today, 11:26 PM #22 ichi d
Registered Member

Trader Rating: (0)
Activity: 5.2%

Old 09-28-2012, 11:33 PM
J-series addict

^^^
lmao