i lost a tonne of torque after UR underdrive pulley

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2011, 11:03 PM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i lost a tonne of torque after UR underdrive pulley

I did some research before purchasing the UR underdrive pulley so i was expecting lil gains. But to my luck, i lost a tonne of torque and the car doesnt drive any better it just revs quicker at top end.

But i did do a major service and got the timing belt changed as the same time i got the pulley installed. Also, now on cold start there is some rattling noise around the same place as pulley or timing belt but goes always when the car warms up. Dunno if its related though

Has anyone has this problem?

This was done by a Honda, as im in Australia
Old 08-02-2011, 12:26 AM
Safety Car

Received 88 Likes on 79 Posts
I have the UR pulley which I installed at the same time as Takeda SRI intake. I felt like I lost low end power (possibly from heat soaking engine bay) but gained high end (highway acceleration definitely improved).

No issues with any sort of rattling or noise, I had Acura dealer install it for me as I wanted no screw ups.

Did you make sure to use the timing belt they recommended? it is not your stock belt.

http://www.unorthodoxracing.com/guides/020611402.pdf

http://www.unorthodoxracing.com/Item...e=27&Model=127

Last edited by 037; 08-02-2011 at 12:41 AM.
Old 08-02-2011, 04:35 AM
Cruisin'

Thanks for your comments 037, i did get the recommended belt for the pulley and i got honda to do the service so they should be using oem timing belts.

I dunno if im just used to the car, but i dont feel in gains anywhere. I use to feel a strong pull top end but now it just revs there quicker with no torque.

my next step is fitting an AEM CAI for the RL. but i dont wanna put it on if the UR pulley is causing a lose in torque.
Old 08-02-2011, 07:43 AM
Safety Car

the whole point is NOT to be using the oem timing belt.

keep in mind the car may need a couple of days to adjust computer to lighter pulley, maybe that's part of the issue.
Old 08-02-2011, 09:09 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 194 Likes on 151 Posts
Originally Posted by 037
the whole point is NOT to be using the oem timing belt.

keep in mind the car may need a couple of days to adjust computer to lighter pulley, maybe that's part of the issue.
Timing belt has nothing to do with the crank pulley. You are talking about the Gates crank pulley belt that UR recomends.

He said he used the belt for the pulley that UR recomends and that he used the oem timing belt which he should do. You never want to use a non oem timing belt cause if that shit breaks, Honda/Acura will say well you didn't use our belt.

OP-As for you car losing torque thats not right. Every car I have put a lightweight pulley on gained torque. The rattling around that area is not safe either. Did they change the idler pulley? Or did they ONLY chnage the belt. A timing belt service is alot more than just the belt being changed. I would take it back and have them fix the problem. The car should not be making any noise
Old 08-02-2011, 10:11 AM
Safety Car

yes...different belts, my bad
Old 08-02-2011, 10:35 AM
rtr
RL owner

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
I found that the pully can do more harm than good! A small mistake in production of pully can cause serious damage to the motor so I wouldn't suggest using one specially on this car.
Old 08-02-2011, 11:07 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 194 Likes on 151 Posts
I probably wouldnt underdrive any of the accesories on this car either. If I were to use a crank pulley it would be stock sized
Old 08-02-2011, 04:59 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 244 Likes on 139 Posts
Not sure how these motors are balanced. But i know on older honda engines, D and B Series a lightweight pulley will destroy your motor. Some Crank pullies damper harmonic vibrations that the rotating assembly can create. If these vibrations are not absorbed they will send them to the worst place your oil pump. The end result is a broken oil pump gear and if you catch it fast enough you can save your motor. if not then kiss your bottom end goodbye
Old 08-02-2011, 06:20 PM
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Carbon Legend
Not sure how these motors are balanced. But i know on older honda engines, D and B Series a lightweight pulley will destroy your motor. Some Crank pullies damper harmonic vibrations that the rotating assembly can create. If these vibrations are not absorbed they will send them to the worst place your oil pump. The end result is a broken oil pump gear and if you catch it fast enough you can save your motor. if not then kiss your bottom end goodbye
The engines in the TL and RL are NOT externally balanced. Visit the UR site for a complete explanation.

I had a UR underdrive pulley on my '99 TL for over 7 years. No problems, no noise, no rattles, it worked as advertised.

Given how RLs seem to devour batteries, I would not get the underdrive pulley, just the aluminum version that's the same size as OE.
Old 08-02-2011, 08:32 PM
Cruisin'

Thanks for all your comments guys.

When honda did the timing belt, i dont think they changed the idler pulley but some bits from it i think.

Well Im going to swap my OE pulley back and see if the noise goes away or not.

Ive heard nothing but good news for the under drive pulley so i dont know why i feel a loss in torque.
Old 08-03-2011, 09:53 AM
rtr
RL owner

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Maybe they didn't put you timing belt in the right spot? Assembly must be perfect! Hard to get out of a dealer...
The following users liked this post:
HEAVY_RL (08-03-2011)
Old 09-25-2011, 03:12 AM
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Carbon Legend
i have underdriven the b, d, and h series engines and not had any issues with any of them. all of them were internally balanced as well. i would buy a reputable part and not the cheapest one you can find on ebay.