I like the 09 RL

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2008, 08:20 AM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I like the 09 RL

I haven't seen it in person but from the videos and photos floating on the net (Motor Trend, concept ect.) I like the changes on the new RL. I don't think they are enough for already 2nd generation owners to go and trade their's in but to me it has a more aggressive stance and with the change to the front grille (which I think is an aquired taste but I like) and tail end it makes the car seem more sporty and ready to compete with the likes of BMW, Benz and Lexus. I also like the real time weather, bump in HP and torque, more rear room and the better materials used on the interior. It's not a full answer to the competition but it's definite that Acura is going in the right direction.
Old 02-12-2008, 08:48 AM
Proboscis-free zone

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Good news! Acura has hope of selling at least one 2009 RL! (ducking...)

I agree that the interior is quite nice and the creature-features are overdue. I just don't feel the exterior styling changes. The front is truly horrendous; the rear, tasteless and moderately offensive. Guess we'll agree to disagree.
Old 02-12-2008, 09:01 AM
Racer

Agreed!
Old 02-12-2008, 09:14 AM
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I agree that the new RL has some really great features, but that exterior design looks like it came from a mole who is trying to destroy Acura from the inside. I was so disappointed when I saw that car that I started looking at the Infiniti website because if the new TL even remotely resembles the new RL, I promise to leave the Acura brand or at the very least, I'll just get an '08.
Old 02-12-2008, 09:21 AM
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I mean really, people are saying that they would give the new Hyundai Genesis consideration over the new RL. I think the original 2nd Gen. RL was 10 times more stylish and tasteful, the new design is hideous and on the autospies website (sure there are some really biased people there), the question was asked if the new RL was a Stud or a Dud, as of yesterday, only one person called it a stud, 99 called it a dud and now make negative reference to it when talking about other cars. That is not the look of a flagship! Acura, what are you doing to our brand???!!! Is is too late to get new designers? You don't have to fire the current ones, just give them a job that doesn't affect the way the cars look. I know you Honda has deep pockets, just pay for some of those Italian designers, you'll get your money back and then some. Acuras are in my opinion the best value in the market, they just need to get the style right. I don't even care so much about not being RWD, new EPA regulations will have everyone looking for a FWD platform soon enough.
Old 02-12-2008, 09:44 AM
Alpha Geek

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
Looks like someone spent a little too much time under water during Katrina...
Old 02-12-2008, 09:45 AM
CLS 6MT Navi

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts
Wow, such different viewpoints. My main attraction to the RL is the interior, techy yet refined and luxy. Acuras have rarely been known for body styling breakthroughs tho the NSX and Legend coupes were standouts.
sedans are sedans, not a lot you can do.

I preferred a lot about the 08 RL, definitely do not want lower mpg (09 is 15-22).
Old 02-12-2008, 11:41 AM
office monkey

and this is why I see a lot of avg/below avg looking people being married/dating and their signficant other saying they are beautiful- many people just see things way diff than I do. whatever floats one's boat though.
Old 02-12-2008, 11:49 AM
Safety Car

Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts
I wonder if the Acura corporate grill will go the way of the Subaru grill introduced on the Tribeca?

The 09 is a very busy car, looks best in darker colors and from angles other than the front. The new grill and headlights I just cannot get used to. The other parts, even the rear, might be something that I might grow to accept.

At this point, I guess I would rather have someone tell me I have a nice Mercedes (as has happened with my black 06 RL) than live down comments about the grill. I think it is true, that no one will mistake it for anything but an Acura if they go with that grill. Right now, if my 06 were wrecked, I don't know that I could go back to another Acura RL, although it has many of the improvements we all wanted! I never thought I would hear myself say this, but I was really impressed by the new Cadillac CTS at the autoshow.

I really would like to stay with Acura as a brand, but I am just not sure where they are going. I guess in a couple of years we will find out, after the bread and butter TSX and TL cars are introduced.
Old 02-12-2008, 05:57 PM
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
I wouldn't pay $50K for that car. Owning a '05 RL, I also wouldn't trade in my car with 50,000 miles for that girth of grille. I'd feel somewhat embarrassed everytime I got out of the car. Sorry but that's how it is.
Old 02-12-2008, 06:01 PM
Torch & Pitchfork Posse

Received 1,806 Likes on 793 Posts
It's a little too plain for me. It needs coach lamps, fender gills and curb feelers. Perhaps a half vinyl roof...padded of course.

Then,,,,,maybe......
Old 02-12-2008, 06:46 PM
Pro

Aside from the ugly grille I like all the changes they've made.

-Larger wheels
-More wood trim
-Cooled seats (finally!)
-Nicer gear shifter
-More aggressive rear
-More responsive transmission
-Quicker reacting SH-AWD
-Beefier Suspension components

Sure, I would liked to have seen a 6-speed auto and an updated NAV w/ improved graphics, but it's a pretty solid update. Unfortunately, it will probably still continue to sell poorly. I hope the next-gen has a turbo-charged V6 engine delivering around 350hp and incorporating the latest fuel-saving technology such as direct injection and cylinder deactivation. When coupled with a 6/7-speed auto it *could* be capable of returning respectable fuel economy (e.g. 20/26), in addition to impressive accelerative performance. I'm one of the select few who believe that a V8 isn't essential on the RL, especially with the newly announced CAFE regulations. If Acura ever brings back the NSX or a car above the RL, that's a different story.
Old 02-12-2008, 06:55 PM
Safety Car

Received 420 Likes on 314 Posts
As I have noted on the other threads about this, I also like the 09 - even the grill. Its a bold look. Have you looked at the new Audi grills? I see a similar trend coming for many manufacturers.
Old 02-12-2008, 09:53 PM
Racer

Ha ha ha! Everyone opinion is different. I can respect that. But like the last guy said it is a bolder look that says "Acura". Now whether you like it or not is a personal preference. But at least the 09 won't get lost in the crowd like the 05-08. Just as though Bangle was heavily criticized for the the design of the current BMW line, everyone eventually got used to it and several of the magazines even said okay Bengal you were right. It just took a little getting used too. Ever since the RL came out, it has always played it safe and conservative. It's time to be bold and stand out. Stop creeping under the radar. Some will like it and some won't. I'm personally looking at the 09 RL, next generation TL or a GS 350(fully loaded). I also like the E 350'S but to get it equipped the way I would like, I'll be looking at $60,000 plus.

Originally Posted by lumpulus
Looks like someone spent a little too much time under water during Katrina...
Old 02-12-2008, 10:42 PM
2016 Acura TLX

Received 137 Likes on 89 Posts
If the 2009 RL does make it to production, one could easily pick one up for super cheap since it is so ugly. The body is exactly the same as the 2008 from comparing pictures. All you would need to do is swap the bumpers, hood, front fenders, headlights, and grill assuming that they are not to expensive. You could also change the taillights and rear bumper.

Or just drive into a wall and claim that it was a hit and run.

Oh yeah, make sure that you dont have cmbs because I dont think it would let you drive into a wall.
Old 02-12-2008, 11:06 PM
Racer

The Interior is great as always but not as good as high end European luxury sports cars, but it's fine. The exterior is completely different story. I find it hard to agree with anybody who thinks the exterior is a work of art or even worth of a $50,000 price tag. Most the time Korean or American cars are this ugly. The RL brings it to a new level, "Unreasonable price for Ugliness." In some ways the new RL is like the child from a marriage between to close cousins.
Old 02-13-2008, 01:16 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by sufall96
I haven't seen it in person but from the videos and photos floating on the net (Motor Trend, concept ect.) I like the changes on the new RL. I don't think they are enough for already 2nd generation owners to go and trade their's in but to me it has a more aggressive stance and with the change to the front grille (which I think is an aquired taste but I like) and tail end it makes the car seem more sporty and ready to compete with the likes of BMW, Benz and Lexus. I also like the real time weather, bump in HP and torque, more rear room and the better materials used on the interior. It's not a full answer to the competition but it's definite that Acura is going in the right direction.
eh~ to each his own..
Old 02-13-2008, 05:38 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by TampaRL
It's a little too plain for me. It needs coach lamps, fender gills and curb feelers. Perhaps a half vinyl roof...padded of course.

Then,,,,,maybe......
WOOD SIDE PANELS!!! So the Griswalds would have a car for the next "Vacation" movie...
Old 02-13-2008, 06:55 AM
Go Big Blue!

the wood panels on the HOOD were really what made the Grswalds car a real looker!
Old 02-13-2008, 07:00 AM
07 RL (non-tech)w/06 Nav

ok...lets say you got an offer...you can get an new RL with all the upgrades in the new body style or the old one. I'm sorry, I'll take the old body style with the old wheels to boot!

Yet I would like all the upgraded items including USB, cooled seats, upgraded Nav, sound cancelling technologies, more plood including the steering wheel.
Old 02-13-2008, 08:02 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by Chas2
I wonder if the Acura corporate grill will go the way of the Subaru grill introduced on the Tribeca?
I doubt the grill design on a car makes as much of a difference in terms of sales as some believe. The Tribeca hasn't sold significantly better in spite of it's new grill and larger engine. In fact, many people say they miss the old Tribeca grill, because it was distinctive. Bold (even gaudy) grills seem to work for the 300C, Audi, Cadillac, etc.
Old 02-13-2008, 08:06 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 180 Likes on 129 Posts
Of course, any wheel change would help but they are still fugly, they are just 18 inches of fugly instead of 17 inches.
Old 02-13-2008, 08:33 AM
Racer

Distinctive is the key word. I'm not saying it's a work of art but I don't think it's as hidieous as most make it out to be. I think it works with the over all look of the refresh. Can it be better? Yes! But it's a refresh not a remodel. Some argued that the 05-08 was not worth $50,000 because it did not have a distinctive look and RL owners argued the the beauty was beneath the sheet metal. Come on now. Now I hear a lot of contradiction. It's an even better all around car now. I guess the magazines and the folks that said the 05-08 didn't do anything for them, I guess the RL owners are admitting now that the body does play a huge factor in this class, even if the car is nice beneath.

Originally Posted by jwaters943
I doubt the grill design on a car makes as much of a difference in terms of sales as some believe. The Tribeca hasn't sold significantly better in spite of it's new grill and larger engine. In fact, many people say they miss the old Tribeca grill, because it was distinctive. Bold (even gaudy) grills seem to work for the 300C, Audi, Cadillac, etc.
Old 02-13-2008, 08:49 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 30 Likes on 18 Posts
Some argued that the 05-08 was not worth $50,000 because it did not have a distinctive look and RL owners argued the the beauty was beneath the sheet metal. Come on now. Now I hear a lot of contradiction.
Nice straw man. Not many here complained about the looks of the 05-08 RL outside of some complaints about the rear lines. Most here were very happy with the RL styling relative to the comparable Lexus and Infiniti models and felt that the RL design would age very well.
Old 02-13-2008, 12:45 PM
Advanced

almost as ugly as the new Accord

I was hoping to trade up for an RL at some point but now that I know what the new one looks like, forget it. Maybe BMW 5 series this time around instead of Acura.

The new RL looks like a decked out cheesy looking Accord. WTF is wrong with the Acura design team? You guys are alienating your customer base.
Old 02-13-2008, 01:57 PM
Pro

They sure aren't gaining many new buyers from the enthusiast community with this referesh, but let's face facts, most Acura buyers aren't 27 and looking for a status symbol. I would bet most RL buyers are sensible folks in their mid-50s who like the reliability of Honda/Acura products, but don't need a MB or BMW badge. They're probably moving up from a TL or Accord and looking for a nice comfy sedan w/ good hancling and a lots of luxo gadgets. I'd also bet that most cross-shop the RL w/ the S80, S-Type, M35 & maybe even the 9-5, but rarely the 5-Series or E-Class. MB & BMW have worked hard to cement their image as premier luxury performance sedans, and their sales figures prove it IMO.

I'm not saying there aren't exceptions, because this message board is proof there are, but keep in mind the online enthuasiast community probably accounts for less than 10% of RL sales.
Old 02-13-2008, 02:25 PM
Instructor

Same Dull Wheels

On top of everything else, it has the same dull dull dull dull wheels. At least, they could have used the TL designed wheels.

Really disappointing. I guess I'll be trading or selling my 06 RL for something else. Looked at the new Mercedes C350 Sport. With all options, it comes in at $43,000 to $44,000. Relly looks good. Only shortcoming is no all wheel drive.
Old 02-13-2008, 03:52 PM
Pro

They look alright to me, at least they're 18's instead of 17's.

Old 02-13-2008, 07:57 PM
Racer

Check out this link. To me it looks nice. I tried to put the photo on here without the link but I forgot how to do it. The RL in black is the photo I'm talking about.

http://www.concept/vehicle/z14966/Acura_RL.aspx
Old 02-14-2008, 07:11 AM
Go Big Blue!

Check out this link. To me it looks nice. I tried to put the photo on here without the link but I forgot how to do it. The RL in black is the photo I'm talking about.

http://www.concept/vehicle/z14966/Acura_RL.aspx
Yep, I've seen all those photos. The car looks terrible in that washed out color. Why they used that for press shots is beyond me. The one photo with it in black looks sharp. Even the grill doesn't look as bad in that photo. Photos are so difficult to use as a gauge. You need to also see it in person.
Old 02-14-2008, 10:25 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by jwaters943
They look alright to me, at least they're 18's instead of 17's.

Check these wheels on my black 06 RL. Page down until you see them:

https://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5062

The OEM wheels have no zip.