Honda Legend KB1 rear springs

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2022, 09:52 AM
4th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Honda Legend KB1 rear springs

I have a broken left rear spring in my KB1. Issue is that I can't really find any replacement. The official part would be 52441-SJA-G12 which have been discontinued. Right side (part number 52441-SJA-G02) would be available but apparently it wouldn't work for the left side. Or at least that what I was told when they checked it out from somewhere. There aren't really any non-OEM options available in Europe. The options that I have found are H&R lowering springs or BC Racing coil-overs. KB2 springs (part number 52441-SJA-E61) could be perhaps available but I'm not sure if they would fit and work correctly. I live in Europe. Any ideas?
Old 04-17-2022, 07:09 AM
Racer

Received 44 Likes on 41 Posts
Have you tried Amayama.com in Japan? They might be able to locate some over there.

KB2 springs ought to work, but they might be different spring rates from the originals.

Remember, 'our' KB1s had (I think) the Acura A-Spec suspension; the RoW had the soggier boulevard springs.
Old 04-17-2022, 07:36 AM
4th Gear

Hi and thanks for reply!

Yes I have been looking from Amayama and they don't have the European KB1 springs available. However they do have the Japanese version 52441-SJA-J01 https://www.amayama.com/en/genuine-c...?p=2&fromMap=1 which is used in both left and right side. As I probably should replace both rear sides springs I am now wondering should I order pair of these or not. If these would have different spring rates from the original European version, I'm wondering how well would they work with my original front suspension and their springs.

All the different original springs that I have found for the KB1 or KB2 use the same rubber above the spring and seat under the spring so all the springs should physically fit. But now the issue is the different spring rates and which would work for me.
Old 04-18-2022, 03:33 AM
Racer

They are probably a lower spring rate, so you'd need to replace the two.

Another thing to consider is are the Japanese dampers softer too?

Aside from a soggier rear ride, it will affect the handling balance of the car. I've not had sufficient coffee, but I think you'll get more oversteer without having to bother running the front tyres at maximum pressure & the rears at minimum - which is what I do.

I seem to remember that us S2000 lot used to fit a stiffer front ARB to try to quell the 'snap oversteer' of the early cars, since a thinner rear ARB was not available - you'll probably achieve a similar effect with softer springs.

Since it's an old car and inevitably, spare parts being NLA will finish it off, it's probably not worth spending too much money on aftermarket suspension. But if you can find out the spring rates, it might be possible for the manufacturers (HKS or Nitron or Sachs somesuch) to fabricate you some springs.

Old 04-18-2022, 04:28 AM
4th Gear

It is my daily driver so I don't need anything special from the suspension, just that it would be safe and somewhat original feeling. I could just buy the H&R lowering springs as they would be cheaper than the OEM springs. But probably the ride quality would suffer and my original dampers would also wear out earlier. Currently I would not want to replace the dampers so I am just trying to figure out what springs would work best for me.
I have found a place in Europe which might have the correct OEM springs but I don't know how legit the place is. And the price for two rear springs would be way more than ordering the Japanese OEM springs from Japan even when paying taxes and custom duties on them. It would be great if I could ask from somewhere about the spring rates or what Honda would recommend for me but at least locally I can't find anyplace where to ask this.
Old 04-20-2022, 11:45 AM
Racer

You might be able to search for the correct spring rates on Temple of VTEC - that is sometimes a mine of information. I know it's difficult to find real facts on the internet...

I did have another bright idea:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/224100018...YAAOSwvi5f4ctb

No idea if they'd be helpful or not.
Old 04-20-2022, 11:57 AM
4th Gear

I ordered Japanese OEM springs from Amayama. Now I just need to wait a few weeks for them to arrive Thanks for the help!
The following users liked this post:
TonyCD (04-23-2022)