Headlight Adjustment

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2009, 10:38 AM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Headlight Adjustment

I just called the local dealer by my way and they said they put the vehicle on a machine to adjust the headlights..Has anyone heard of this I've had no luck adjusting them through with a screwdriver like I've read on other posts.
Old 09-29-2009, 11:13 PM
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Its all preference. Just wait till dark and park your car on a flat surface and look at the beam and how far apart they are as far as height goes. You can also try going in a garage and turning off all lights and adjust from there. Never adjusted the lights on the RL but thats how I do it with any other car
Old 09-30-2009, 09:26 AM
Racer

Adjusting is certainly possible with the right screwdriver - it takes an exact size to fit, yet still be large enough to turn the gear.

Marking a wall or using a brick building works best for me. Without something to manage up or down progress like a wall, adjustment becomes a bit arbitrary.
Old 09-30-2009, 10:36 AM
Advanced

Thanks for the info guys..has anyone tried changing the bulbs to a more powerful bulb?
Old 10-02-2009, 04:12 PM
2nd Gear

I ordered new HID bulbs for my Acura but, i'm having hard time changing them, the dealer wants to charge me $65 each side to change them. Does anyone know how?? Please help!
Old 10-02-2009, 04:33 PM
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
only thing ive done was upgrade to 6K bulbs low beam and HID upgrade for the fogs. A must do upgrade for the fogs. much better visibility. As far as changing out the low beam bulbs its really easy if youre patient. I had a thread on it if you can search it up.
Old 10-06-2009, 05:45 AM
2013 RL or bust

how much work is changing the low beam HIDs?

I usually break things and don't have much patience.
Old 10-14-2009, 08:33 AM
Advanced

Finaly have my headlights adjusted properly

After taking my vehicle to the dealer for a headlamp adjustment I was told that the adjusters were no good and needed to be replaced. The price tag was $800 big ones.. After looking at the diagram given to me of the part(adjuster) I found what is in my opinion an easier (safer) way to adjust the headlights without sticking a screwdriver aimlessly & potentailly compromising the whole unit.

1. Remove rubber trim on both sides
2. Mark on your garage walls where low beams actually cuts off
3.Carefully disonnect the vehicles battery(easier to remove adjuster)
4. I started with the driver's side first twist the adjuster and gently pull.
5. Disconnect the wiring harness attached to the adjuster.
6. Once you look at the adjuster you'll see one side has a screw and the other side has a twisty knob.
7. Gently insert the screwdriver into the screw and turn gently until the screw starts going into the the adjuster DO NOT OVERTIGHTEN!!! Overtightening can break it.. The screw in both of my adjusters were sticking out about an inch in both sides.
8. Gently put the adjuster back into the socket that is connected to the low beam headlamp.This my take a few minutes depending on how well lit your garage is take your time and dont forget to re-connect the wiring harness.
9. Re-connect your battery and match you light pattern to see if it's higher if it is you can finish connecting your battery..Obviously turn off your lights and vehicle while messing with the battery.
10. Repeat the same steps for the other side..I actually found the passenger side easier to adjust I got a couple of inches higher on the passenger side.

I didn't have to remove the bumper at all. This worked for my car but dont do it if you dont have a couple of hours of time or dont feel comfortable messing with the lights .I would estimate about a 30% increase in visiblity. Again my lights were facing way down so if your lights are adequate leave them alone..But mine were too dangerous for night driving I was only seeing two car lengths in front of me. The RL is low to the ground that I dont think you'll blind other drivers. I drove it for a half hour on highways and backroad and didnt get flashed a high beam yet.
Old 03-08-2020, 09:22 PM
Advanced

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
I fully realize this thread is 11 years old, but has anyone else had success doing this? Pictures would be great!

Item #1 - Is this the plastic covers that are held in place by clips?

Thanks!
Old 03-11-2020, 04:35 PM
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by tvarghese
I fully realize this thread is 11 years old, but has anyone else had success doing this? Pictures would be great!

Item #1 - Is this the plastic covers that are held in place by clips?

Thanks!
Search in youtube, there are some videos there
Old 03-11-2020, 08:38 PM
Advanced

That was the first place I searched and didn't see anything, out of desperation thought I'd ask on the forum. If you have a link that would be greatly appreciated!

There was one place that mentioned the adjustment is similar to the MDX, but did not look like it to me.

Thank you!
Old 08-25-2020, 04:40 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by tvarghese
That was the first place I searched and didn't see anything, out of desperation thought I'd ask on the forum. If you have a link that would be greatly appreciated!

There was one place that mentioned the adjustment is similar to the MDX, but did not look like it to me.

Thank you!
Hey did you end up finding anything ? I've been looking but haven't been successful
Old 10-21-2021, 04:19 PM
Advanced

Sorry for the late response, but no luck so far.