Hard Disk - TL Yes - RL No

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2009, 11:39 AM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Angry Hard Disk - TL Yes - RL No

Just came from the 2010 Acura website and noticed that the TL has a hard disk available but the RL does not. What's the logic here? Top of the line RL doesn't offer something that its little brother(?) does. I'm getting the feeling that Acura doesn't want me to replace my 2006 RL with the latest model.
Old 07-26-2009, 12:43 PM
2017 TLX AWD Adv FBP/EB

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
The TL has a different Navi system than the other cars. The current system in the RL is basically an upgraded version of what you have. The other difference between the 2 is the rear view camera grid lines (Tl has it). About the only differences I see/saw.

Based on what I am reading the ZDX & '10 MDX will get a HDD. My guess is they will get the TL Navi system. This would make sense to have the same systems as these cars are made in either Ohio & Ontario from a supply chain perspective. The RL & TSX are made in Japan and have the same system/connections.

I was a little surprised at that the new RL didn't come with it either, but, in the end, I don't miss the HDD at all. Reason, I use an 8 GB flash drive for my music with the USB connection. It has worked well as I have repeatedly pulled the flash drive out of the car and edited my folders to add, delete, organize, etc. The connection is in the center console and I just leave it in there hidden away.

In the end, I don't see it as that necessary of a feature, but on paper it doesn't make much sense that the "flagship" doesn't have it. But when you sit in a TL, then an RL, it really won't matter at that point.
Old 07-26-2009, 02:34 PM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
OK. At least I understand the why of it but as you said, surprised the RL doesn't have a hard drive.
Old 07-26-2009, 02:40 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,613 Likes on 2,193 Posts
I don't use the hard drive I have in my CTS-V. My iPod serves me just fine for music, as it did when it was in my RL. I suppose it's nice to have another option, though...
Old 07-26-2009, 02:42 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,329 Likes on 1,309 Posts
The hard drive navi is much faster in seeking the various ones and zeros than a spinning DVD..
Old 07-26-2009, 09:16 PM
Torch & Pitchfork Posse

Received 1,806 Likes on 793 Posts
The hardrive also allows for music to be shuffled when played from another media source such as a flash drive. Further, I believe the TL allows for pics to be used as wallpaper, managed from the hard drive. Last, the hardrive allows for downloads from XM (with subscription).

Likely the volume of RLs did not justify this upgrade. Further the RL's head unit requires global application (as the LEGEND). Our portable media usage and hardware are not shared in all markets. The JDM LEGEND utilizes smart cards for media storage and personalized settings.

I do not understand the expectation that the RL MUST be updated, upgraded with the newest and best of what Acura has to offer. Car model cycles address this, even if the RL cycles are traditionally pokey.

Listen to the current Mercedes E Class commercial. 'The most advanced Mercedes to date'. Although I like the near Acura Advance reference, think about it. If the E Class is the most advanced Mercedes, does that make the S Class less of a flagship?

It simply is packaging and marketing opportunity to launch features at the optimum time to draw awareness to model first, and the feature second.

I would think is anyone expects the flagship vehicle to be continually upgraded to always maintain the top feature and top technology in any product lineup is well positioned to be continually disappointed.
Old 07-26-2009, 09:49 PM
Safety Car

Received 64 Likes on 59 Posts
I can understand they didnot upgrade navigation system for 2009 as they may want to give some perference for a year to TL. But if this navigation is going into ZDX/MDX. there is no reason not to put it in all Acura models.

They can literally Fedex the HDD navigation system to Japan if they are built in US.

MB E class is launched as 2010 model year. and i am sure all the features will be in 2010 S class when it is luanched. literally months difference.

Not giving all tech features and even 6AT to 2010 RL is just sloppy work. or just delay the luanch of 2010 and continue to call current models 2009. 6AT will atleast improve the fuel economy.
Old 07-26-2009, 10:31 PM
Torch & Pitchfork Posse

Received 1,806 Likes on 793 Posts
The RL / LEGEND head unit and NAVI are from Alpine Japan.

The newer generation head units and NAVI are from Alpine North America.

Unfortunately automobile manufacturing is not plug and play for most components whether it is a fully integrated Navigation and Telematics system or a transmission . There are also supplier contracts to be fulfilled, assembly line tooling and volumes of engineering parameters that may be impacted to switch out a component without considering impact cost, return on investment and impact to production.

That impact and investment to satisfy your business model where the RL should have all the latest and greatest is foolhearty. Especially on a car model languishing in it's twilight of the model run. Throwing out that cash to appease your business model would likely impress shareholders, financial analysts and even automotive industry journalists as 'sloppy'.
Old 07-26-2009, 11:00 PM
Safety Car

surely it is plug and play thats why u can buy a car with and without tech package for $3K extra. Alpine Japan certianly is capable of producing HDD navigation as most of Japanese cars have now HDD navigation.
How RL got same engine as MDX/TL/ZDX.?
It looks to me that Honda is being cheap they bought extra few hundred old navigation units that it dont want to throw away. In luxury car business image is more important than reality which Honda simply dont understand.

http://www.telematicsresearch.com/ta...change-stream/
Honda Features Standard HDD Navigation for the Stream

Posted on 2009-06-22
Honda has announced minor changes to its Stream model, such as standardizing the HDD navigation system which features a 40GB HDD with 7-inch touch screen, 1seg Digital Terrestrial TV (DTT), DVD/CD, camera park assist, Bluetooth, and Internavi telematics
Old 07-27-2009, 01:52 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 134 Likes on 66 Posts
if you really like Hard disc drive that much, just go find a busted up 09 TL tech and swap out the navi and audio system.... personally I think hard drive is faster but easier to break (due to moving parts) and is not necessary..... what you really need is the solid state disc (this is a more ideal storage than the conventional hard disc drive).... a usb connection is adequate for the time being (for the multi-formated storage solution)..... and if you really want image, SSD is the nxt gen storage solution

and if you really wanna go high tech, throw in a bigger, higher resolution screen, better video card/chip, and HDMI connection.... and watch the pricetag sky rocketed
Old 07-27-2009, 02:04 PM
Safety Car

Frankly for company like Honda it is far cheaper to update navigation systems than consumer buying outside and installing $$$labor cost.

http://www.honda-access.com/268/en/intro.jsp

Honda’s Solid State Drive (SSD) Navigation System
Honda has added SSD (Solid State Drive) Navigation System to its Audio & Electronics range of accessories. The unit completes the Honda Genuine Accessories navigation line-up, sitting between the Compact and HDD Navigation units.

In addition to optimal coverage, rapid route calculation and superb audio connectivity, the 8GB SSD Navigation System offers great value for Honda customers and additional business opportunities for dealers.

The unit sits unobtrusively within the car’s dashboard and is linked to controls on the steering wheel. It is available with an optional rear view camera to assist parking and has been extensively tested to meet Honda’s exacting quality standards.

With no soldering or wire-cutting required, dealers will appreciate the fast and easy-fitting characteristics of Honda’s SSD Navigation System. Customers, meanwhile, will enjoy the wide variety of functions and its great blend of versatility and value.

On The Right Road

As a premium satellite navigation system, Honda’s SSD unit offers a standard map which conveniently includes locations of all Honda dealers across Europe and beyond – just in case the customer needs something from Honda in a hurry.

Honda’s SSD Navigation is available in two versions: one European and one Russian. The European unit automatically provides satellite map coverage in 33 European countries with voice guidance naturally built-in and available in nine languages: English, German, French, Italian, Dutch, Spanish, Portuguese, Swedish and Danish. For the Russian version, there are two voice options – Russian and English.

There’s also an SD card slot for updates to existing maps or the unit’s own operating system.

Let Honda Entertain You

Of course, the SSD Navigation System is not just a navigation system. The unit incorporates an in-built CD mechanism to integrate fully with the car’s stereo system. For those who prefer to be entertained via their MP3 player, there is USB connectivity, which includes iPod® control.

SolidStateSecurity And Safety

When it’s disconnected, Honda’s SSD Navigation System can be accessed only through a unique, anti-theft security code chosen by – and known only to – the customer.

Honda’s own safety programme includes interior projection tests on the SSD unit, which ensure that no injuries will be sustained by driver or passengers due to splintered displays, projecting buttons or sharp edges.

As well as being sleek and sophisticated, it’s a robust unit, too, able to withstand temperatures from -40˚C to 90˚C and Honda’s own exceptionally high engineering standards mean it’s built to last.

Honda Access CarsHonda Access MotorcycleHonda Access General
Disclaimer 2008 © Honda
Old 07-27-2009, 03:39 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 66 Likes on 45 Posts
It's because:

1) Acura has very little control over what goes into what is essentially the Honda Legend. They only control what is NOT in the car. Even if they did have control. . .

2) Acura doesn't care about the RL. They are more concerned about the TL, MDX, and ZDX which were all designed by Acura in CA than the RL that was designed by Honda in Japan. As an RL owner, I have noticed that Acura has treated the RL like a stepchild for years.
Old 07-27-2009, 11:11 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
For the North American market, the RL has been a loss leader. Its a wonderful car but up until recently, Honda was taking a bath on the sales. Their loss, our gain. Sadly, only minor updates have been made to stretch the "life" of this car.