First oil change

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2005, 11:01 PM
Pro

Received 18 Likes on 8 Posts
First oil change

Does anyone know when the first oil change is supposed to be done?
My new 06 RL with tech (Black with parchment) is 2 months old with 3300 miles, and the oil life indicator says I still have 50% left, and while that is not a real issue, I was under the impression that the oil in the car from the factory was a special break in oil.
And Acura wants that in there for a specific period. Now usually I would change the first oil at around 2000 miles because it is usually dirtier than normal due to engine break in, but there is nothing in the manual that says the first oil change should be done at XXX miles, and its a little hard for me to sit on break in oil until near 7000 miles.
If this was already answered in another thread, sorry for asking again, but I did a search and could not find a thread on this subject.
Any help would be appreciated-since I never have full confidence in what a dealer says to me.
Thanks!
Old 12-26-2005, 11:21 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 996 Likes on 530 Posts
I am in the same situation, I'm closing in on 6000 miles (10000 km) and I just now got the "service due soon" message on the MID. I'll have to give Acura the benefit of the doubt on this one and follow the car's advice on oil change intervals. I did talk to the service department of a local Acura dealer a couple of months ago and they assured me that following the recommended service intervals as dictated by the car was indeed the very best thing to do for my RL. I must admit that part of me got to thinking that, because all service and maintenance for the first three years is free for RL buyers up here in Canada, maybe Acura was stretching things a bit to save a buck, but that thought was quickly erased when I remembered similar comments from my American friends on this forum who were not offered the same free maintenance deal. In fact, this "stretching" of the first oil change interval is actually costing American Acura dealers potential revenue in oil changes which leads me to conclude that the schedule dictated by the MID must in fact be the optimal maintenance schedule. I'm going to get my first oil change early in the new year and I will continue to "listen" to the MID for future maintenance advice.
Old 12-27-2005, 12:22 AM

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts
The Honda factory oil does not need to be left in for more than 3K, as it contains extra AW adds for better protection during the initial wear-in period. Havoline 5w-20 appears to have a similar additive pack to the Honda factory fill, if you so desire to change out the factory oil prior to 3K.

I personally wouldn't worry about changing it out early. I used to advocate for changing the oil early due to the elevated wear metals due to wear-in, but it isn't necessary and will not cause any harm to the engine. I guess if you're picky, you can change it now, and change it again when the MID says Service Due Soon, then follow the MID thereafter.

Any API SM rated conventional oil will easily last 5-7K, under normal driving conditions, so I wouldn't worry about the oil run being run beyond its useful life if you follow the MID for service intervals. Havoline, Pennzoil, Supertech, and ExxonMobil are all favorites. 5w-20 is fine, though most people have had great difficulty in finding it. 10w-30 is much easier to obtain and will work just as well while providing a slightly thicker oil film.

Personally, from a cheapskate point of view, its hard to justify paying $2/qt for 5w-20 when you can buy Supertech 10w-30 for $1.10/qt in a 5-qt jug at Walmart. (Supertech oil is blended by Warren Distribution...it is composed of a Motiva GrpII+ base oil and the same Lubrizol Additive pack used by Castrol and Valvoline)

Mike
Old 12-27-2005, 05:39 PM
Pro

Received 18 Likes on 8 Posts
Well I guess I will 'cut the baby in half' to solve my problem.
Instead of waiting until 7K to do the first oil change, and since I am at 3300 already, I think I will change out the oil at 4500.
It cant harm, and since I prefer to use synthentic- I dont see how changing the oil slightly shy of the MID can be detrimental especially if I use synthentic.
Old 12-27-2005, 06:40 PM
office monkey

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I had around 7300kms on my car and still had about 20% oil life but got an ol change done ebcause the manual says to get one after a year even if the indicator says thoil life is still ok. Yes, I only put on 7300Kms or so in the first year I owned the car....and us Canucks have complimentary scheduled maintenance for the first 3 yrs or 60,000KMs. at my rate I will get a whopping 3 oil changes done in that time if the 2nd oil change is the same. heh
Old 12-28-2005, 10:09 AM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The oil companies have done an excellent job of marketing the 3000 mile oil change concept........enough said.

Steve W
Seattle
'05 C Silver ASPEC
Old 12-28-2005, 05:50 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by hothonda
The oil companies have done an excellent job of marketing the 3000 mile oil change concept........enough said.

Steve W
Seattle
'05 C Silver ASPEC
Agreed. I had my first oil change at 6200 miles and the tech showed me some of what they emptied. Looked relatively new with no "burnt" smell. These engines are running so efficiently (even in bumper-to-bumper Dallas traffic with temps sweltering above 110) that the old golden rule of "Change your oil every 3,000 miles" is out the door. Most dealerships still push it because it is their "bread and butter" sale.