Easiest way to change license plate lights

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2008, 08:33 PM
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Easiest way to change license plate lights

I bought some LEDs for my 06 RL. Looked thru the owner's manual and couldn't find instructions on replacing the license plate bulbs. I reached out to a fellow member and he said the best way is to remove the carpet liner inside and then with push the fixtures out. Wanted to see if anyone else has any other tips on getting to the license plate bulbs.

I noticed there are two screwed behind the rear license plate, is there a way to change the bulbs from there?
Old 09-11-2008, 07:17 AM
Racer

Received 46 Likes on 26 Posts
Very easy project, it should take you 15 minutes tops. Pop the trunk. You'll find two black rubber strips on the lid of the trunk. Pull on the left end of the left rubber strip to pop the end out, then "slide" the rubber strip out of the two remaining holes. I realize this sounds hard, but you'll see what I mean when you see how the rubber strips are installed.

Repeat for the other side.

The carpet is held in by retainers. You really don't have to remove the entire carpet, only part of it so you can get your hand inside the trunk. I slid two retainers, one on the left, and one on the right to get to the license plate lights.

Now that you have done that, take off your watch on your wrist if you have one, and stick your hand up there. It's going to be tight but you'll be able to feel the license plate lights. They simply 'rotate' in their sockets to get them out, so rotate the socket with your fingers and then you'll be able to swap out the bulbs.

Reverse this procedure for putting everything back together.

It looks very sharp, and is a worthwhile upgrade.

Have fun.
Old 09-11-2008, 07:18 AM
unofficial HONDA rep

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
the simpliest way is to remove the liner, but not the whole thing, just remove the top section and let it drop so that the trunk harness is holding it and just reach from the sides and twist the license plate bulbs and voila! it's really simple trust me i've done it like 3-4 times
Old 09-11-2008, 03:44 PM
Advanced

Thanks for the responses. Will try it out this weekend!
Old 09-11-2008, 09:48 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by CFoote
Very easy project, it should take you 15 minutes tops. Pop the trunk. You'll find two black rubber strips on the lid of the trunk. Pull on the left end of the left rubber strip to pop the end out, then "slide" the rubber strip out of the two remaining holes. I realize this sounds hard, but you'll see what I mean when you see how the rubber strips are installed.

Repeat for the other side.

The carpet is held in by retainers. You really don't have to remove the entire carpet, only part of it so you can get your hand inside the trunk. I slid two retainers, one on the left, and one on the right to get to the license plate lights.

Now that you have done that, take off your watch on your wrist if you have one, and stick your hand up there. It's going to be tight but you'll be able to feel the license plate lights. They simply 'rotate' in their sockets to get them out, so rotate the socket with your fingers and then you'll be able to swap out the bulbs.

Reverse this procedure for putting everything back together.

It looks very sharp, and is a worthwhile upgrade.

Have fun.
Alright guys,

Ran into a little problem. Was able to get the rubbers off, however, there's a trunk light on the left hand side which I can't seem to pop off. It looks like the light cover needs to come off before I can try to slid the left retainer.

I tried popping the light cover off but it just wouldn't come off. Any tips?

Thanks!
Old 09-11-2008, 10:26 PM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
what type of LEDs did you use?
Old 09-12-2008, 06:14 AM
Racer

Received 46 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by yue3759
Alright guys,

Ran into a little problem. Was able to get the rubbers off, however, there's a trunk light on the left hand side which I can't seem to pop off. It looks like the light cover needs to come off before I can try to slid the left retainer.

I tried popping the light cover off but it just wouldn't come off. Any tips?

Thanks!

Take a small flat blade screw driver and insert it on the left hand side of the trunk light. This should pop the light out...
Old 09-12-2008, 06:42 AM
unofficial HONDA rep

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
you don't even need to take off the light if you were to take off the liner from the opposite end and let it hang over a little you can still access the bulbs...there should be 4 clips and that's it