Drove my 1st RL

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2007, 01:03 PM
CLS 6MT Navi

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts
Drove my 1st RL

I've driven Acura coupes for 20 years, (1 Prelude, 2 Legends, 2 CLS's). I really want a 6MT coupe but I'm checking out the RL. I'll pay low 30's if I buy one later this year. I've seen 05s go for under 30k on ebay already.

The white 05 RL I drove was very quiet and smooth. I felt acceleration was surprisingly good considering the talk here, and with 2 people in the car, but I never went above 45mph. My 03 CLS is 6MT and pretty fast too. The clueless Honda salesman didn't have the transponder so the electronics weren't accessible and the battery was dead, he told me not to turn it off! (If Honda salespeople don't understand this car, how can shoppers?!). I wanted to try the DVD-audio and Navi, oh well.

Besides 4 doors, my only complaint with the RL is the frumpy rear styling. Acura says 'Advance' and has 'Sport' in the description of all their cars but the RL is not really a made-for-US Acura anyway, is it?

Well enjoy your RLs, I love the tech, dash design, reliability, and exclusivity of the car.
Old 02-23-2007, 01:23 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,613 Likes on 2,193 Posts
That's how I got started with the RL. I came here, read the complaints and praises, then went out and test drove it to see what people were talking about. Then told people here about the test drive. Then convinced myself it was a good buy. Then bought one.

The test drive can sometimes be a slippery slope....but for me it was worth the money.

The test drive was not complete without the tech, unfortunately. That really gives you an idea for how sweet the tech in the car really is.
Old 02-24-2007, 04:45 PM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
We test drove an 07 RL today and we were very impressed. I thought the car's performance was more than ample with the V6. The ride and overall comfort was
fantastic! The dealer gave us a route to try the car out on that included some expressway,
winding back roads and the typical city traffic a route that took about 30 minutes to drive
and told us to just drive it and enjoy it. All told we spent almost an hour driving and definitely came away impressed.

I currently have an 05 TL and my wife is thinking of taking my car(it only has 20,000 miles on it) and I would get the new one. We had originally gone out to drive the new G35x to see how it compared to the TL, but my wife convinced me to test the RL.

We did end up test driving the G35x and while it is impressive and a huge improvement over the previous generation I would still rather have my TL over the G.