Door Handle to set Alarm question

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2008, 10:46 AM
05 Acura RL

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Door Handle to set Alarm question

Now I just got my 05 RL recently but I haven't figured out how to lock the alarm from the outside properly. I can get it to set the alarm but it takes forever. I grab the handle like minimum of 5-6 times before the the alarm sets and it gets annoying standing outside my car grabbing the door handle over and over and over. People driving by probably think I'm trying to break into this car. Anyway, if anyone knows a better/faster way to set the alarm or maybe I'm not doing it right. Thanks.
Old 08-29-2008, 10:55 AM
Pro

Received 114 Likes on 89 Posts
Originally Posted by dhag8
Now I just got my 05 RL recently but I haven't figured out how to lock the alarm from the outside properly. I can get it to set the alarm but it takes forever. I grab the handle like minimum of 5-6 times before the the alarm sets and it gets annoying standing outside my car grabbing the door handle over and over and over. People driving by probably think I'm trying to break into this car. Anyway, if anyone knows a better/faster way to set the alarm or maybe I'm not doing it right. Thanks.
To LOCK, you just touch the OUTSIDE of the door handle. To UNLOCK, you touch the inside.

So if you are trying to lock it, don't "grab" the door handle. Just one or a couple of light touches on the outside of the handle (where the popping out dimple is) should do it.
Old 08-29-2008, 11:27 AM
Safety Car

Received 420 Likes on 314 Posts
yes - just lightly touch the "dimple" on the outside of the handle to lock, grab the inside to unlock.
However, the 05's did have a problem with the handle. In my case. the handle would only lock intermittently (unlocking was not a problem). Once replaced, it works fine.
I suspect most owners got the handles replaced, but if your previous owner did not you may have the problem.
Old 08-29-2008, 12:24 PM
Safety Car

Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts
As everyone said, do not grab the handle.

Touching the inside of the handle unlocks.
Touching the outside of the handle locks.

Grabbing means you are touching the inside and the outside and the car does whatever action you tell it to, meaning, whatever surface was touched last is the action taken.

I just barely brush the outside of the handle with the back of my fingers to lock.

Don't wash the car with the remote close by. The stream of water hitting the handle is interpreted as a touch if the remote is within the requisite 3 feet
Old 08-29-2008, 12:47 PM
Safety Car

Received 420 Likes on 314 Posts
Originally Posted by Chas2
As everyone said, do not grab the handle.

Don't wash the car with the remote close by. The stream of water hitting the handle is interpreted as a touch if the remote is within the requisite 3 feet
Just to be clear - washing the car with the remote nearby (as in your pocket), just "exercises" the lock/unlock, i.e., it may cylce through locking and unlocking many times. However, in my experience, no damage is done. (Although some have reported some temporary issues after going through a car wash.) Easiest way to prevent is to put the remote inside the car when washing.
Old 08-29-2008, 02:47 PM
05 Acura RL

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Problem solved. Thanks Chas2, I am no longer the asshole standing in front of his car confused. I love this site.