Does your AcuraLink/Real-Time Traffic fulfill your expectation?

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2004, 03:00 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 86 Likes on 30 Posts
Does your AcuraLink/Real-Time Traffic fulfill your expectation?

I really wish my TL could get hardware+software upgrade in order to perform AcuraLink real-time traffic feature over the Navigation system. This feature has great potential to bring the Navi to the next level in the future.

However, what do you think, 05RLers? Is it truly useful and accurate with traffic reports? Is it clear and easy to read and operate with? Thanks.

Old 12-11-2004, 04:35 PM
Pro

Received 562 Likes on 255 Posts
Traffic not working....

Funny you should ask. First I love the real time traffic. Around LA there is always a jam somewhere, but not everywhere so being able to check for jams allows me to plan an alternate route.

The problem is that for about the last 7 to 10 days I haven't been able to display the traffic stuff. The XM radio and Nav system works fine, and I have good GPS signal. I called the Acura Client Services number to see if there was some switch which I needed set [other than the Traffic Icon which does need to be turned on]. Acura told me that i was about the 10th person to call with this complaint and that they therefore did not think the problem was with my RL but rather something with XM or the actual source of the traffic info. They have promissed to call me back and let me know what their investigation shows.

Have other RL owners experienced this problem? IS it just an LA based issue?
Old 12-11-2004, 08:18 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Sounds interesting. It seems XM got issues with signal or system update...
Old 12-12-2004, 11:43 AM
2007 Lexus GS 350

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I took mine in for this exact problem and they are replacing the entire XM box on Tuesday. We will see if this corrects the problem.
Old 12-12-2004, 01:21 PM
Instructor

I had the xm box in
the trunk replaced my second week of owning the RL, about a month ago, and navtraffic/acuralink has worked fine since then. This should take care of your problem. I would say navtraffic is a useful tool and is a keeper for me.
Old 12-13-2004, 09:12 AM
2007 Lexus GS 350

Well I'm scheduled to have the XM unit replaced tomorrow (Tues 14 Dec) but effective Sunday (12 Dec) everything startedt o work again. Does anybody know who truly ownes sending the signal and diagnosing problems with the service? Is it NAVTEQ or XM and do we as owners call them?
Old 12-13-2004, 09:22 AM
Spinnin' Protons!

I just bought my RL on Saturday...I see that the real-time traffic report doesn't seem to work in the D.C. Metro area...I wonder why? D.C. is always second to L.A. when the Nation Highway Safety Traffic polls come out each year. Has anyone heard about this situation??

I love the RL...it is by-far the best vehicle I have ever owned. I have 600 miles on it already!
Old 12-13-2004, 09:37 AM
2007 Lexus GS 350

Check out the following link which should spell out the type of coverage that you should have in DC

http://www.xmradio.com/images/navtra...hington_dc.jpg

Originally Posted by Mr. MRI
I just bought my RL on Saturday...I see that the real-time traffic report doesn't seem to work in the D.C. Metro area...I wonder why? D.C. is always second to L.A. when the Nation Highway Safety Traffic polls come out each year. Has anyone heard about this situation??

I love the RL...it is by-far the best vehicle I have ever owned. I have 600 miles on it already!
Old 12-13-2004, 09:42 AM
Spinnin' Protons!

Thank you very much!
Old 12-13-2004, 10:11 AM
Instructor

sorry to pop ur bubble, but the tl will never get an upgrade for navtraffic. maybe in future years it will be available, but you can't update it.
Old 12-13-2004, 02:26 PM
Instructor

Navtraffic/Acuralink Problem

"Does anybody know who truly ownes sending the signal and diagnosing problems with the service? Is it NAVTEQ or XM and do we as owners call them?"

I called Acura Customer service and together with the local dealer the xm box replacement was worked out. For me it did not at all involve XM or anyone outside of Acura. This is a warranty item so I would only look to your dealer/service for the solution and suggest calling national customer service so they can be aware of the navtraffic/acuralink problem and they will make sure that the local dealer is responsive.

The xm radio service worked fine as apparently the xm box receives the radio service in one part of it and the acuralink/navtraffic information in another part of it. Replacing the box is the quickest, cleanest solution if the dealer confirms that all connections are in place and nothing is loose.
Old 12-13-2004, 03:58 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Originally Posted by frebay
sorry to pop ur bubble, but the tl will never get an upgrade for navtraffic. maybe in future years it will be available, but you can't update it.
Sooner or later, we will find the solutions for this... I'm sure Aucra won't put this system for TL yet in the early years of 2G RL era.
Old 12-14-2004, 12:47 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Originally Posted by hendjaz
"Does anybody know who truly ownes sending the signal and diagnosing problems with the service? Is it NAVTEQ or XM and do we as owners call them?"

I called Acura Customer service and together with the local dealer the xm box replacement was worked out. For me it did not at all involve XM or anyone outside of Acura. This is a warranty item so I would only look to your dealer/service for the solution and suggest calling national customer service so they can be aware of the navtraffic/acuralink problem and they will make sure that the local dealer is responsive.

The xm radio service worked fine as apparently the xm box receives the radio service in one part of it and the acuralink/navtraffic information in another part of it. Replacing the box is the quickest, cleanest solution if the dealer confirms that all connections are in place and nothing is loose.

Acura says

ACURALINK(TM) SATELLITE COMMUNICATION SYSTEM WITH REAL TIME TRAFFIC

The 2005 Acura RL introduces AcuraLink satellite communication system with real time traffic. AcuraLink allows for two-way communication between Acura and the vehicle, providing customers with the latest information specific to their vehicle. In cases where communication to and from the Acura Telematics server is needed, the owner's Bluetooth cell phone is used (once the owner has enabled its data-transmission function).

AcuraLink messages consist of a limited amount of text plus expanded details via Text-To-Speech. Each message is prioritized by importance. High priority messages are displayed immediately upon receipt. Other messages trigger an icon on the RL navigation display. Some low priority messages show up only on vehicle start-up to avoid distraction. In all cases, the RL owner can choose to read or listen to the message immediately, or archive it to be retrieved later.

A wide variety of messages can be sent to the RL, including Maintenance Minder (detailed information regarding your next required maintenance), Quick Tips (information to help you maximize the benefit and enjoyment of RL features), Feature Guide (supplements to the Owner's Manual), Diagnostic Info (detailed information and instruction should an onboard system issue arise), information regarding a service or repair required, and Service Appointment Reminders. The RL owner has complete control over the types of messages they receive. All AcuraLink(TM) preferences can be set via the Owner Link web site or on-board the RL.

Since the system allows two-way data communication between the RL and the Acura Telematics Server, AcuraLink can provide the owner with vital information that previously has been unavailable. For example, if a warning light should appear on the RL instrument panel, AcuraLink can be configured to automatically send a trouble code along with the sensor data associated with the fault to the Acura Telematics Server, which analyzes the code, then sends a message back to the RL, such as "An software issue has been detected. It is OK to continue driving. The repair is currently being developed, so you do not need to visit your dealer at this time. You will receive another AcuraLink message when it is time to visit your dealer to have the system repaired." This way, the owner knows if a particular fault is serious enough to cancel a trip, if it can be dealt with later or if it requires special driving techniques.

Since the system allows two-way data communication between the RL and the Acura Telematics Server, AcuraLink can provide the owner with vital information that previously has been unavailable. For example, if an ABS/BRAKE warning light should appear on the RL instrument panel, AcuraLink will automatically send a trouble code to the Acura Telematics Server, which interprets the code, then sends a message back to the RL, such as "ABS and EBD shut down! Drive slowly. Avoid sudden hard braking." This way, the owner knows if a particular fault is serious enough to cancel a trip, if it can be dealt with later or if it requires special driving techniques. The data connection is enabled even if the monthly XM(R) service package is not in effect.

Real-Time Traffic Information

The navigation screen can display up-to-the-minute traffic information including flow (traffic speed where available), accidents, incident, construction and weather on freeways in 20 major metro areas. The information is aggregated by NAVTEQ from multiple sources including police and highway patrol accident reports and transportation departments and then transmitted by XM satellites to the RL where it is graphically displayed on the navigation system from _ to 5 mile scale.

The RL owner can click on an icon on the map to see incident details. Traffic information is continuously updated, allowing drivers to avoid congestion en route and choose the fastest path to their destination.

With the average rush-hour commuter spending over 50 hours a year sitting in traffic, the system gives RL owners a useful timesaving tool on freeways. Unlike radio or television traffic reports, the real-time traffic system provides a constant flow of relevant information reflecting conditions along a driver's chosen route. Real-time traffic data services will be offered on a subscription basis for a nominal fee following a free trial period. Exact pricing information will be announced in fall 2004.
Old 12-14-2004, 10:08 AM
2007 Lexus GS 350

Got my XM unit replaced this morning and all incidents are appearing as designed.