Dealer and XM irritations...

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2005, 01:28 AM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dealer and XM irritations...

So Friday, I took my RL in to the dealer for the 7500 mile service, and to have the 3 TSBs performed. I also brought my own Mobil 1 oil in (switched to Mobil 1 at 3000 miles). I dropped off the car about 9:30 AM, and they told me I'd have it back by the early afternoon. I also expressed to them that I needed it back as soon as possible as my parents' 35th wedding anniversary was that night. I told them to call me as SOON as the car was completed, so I could come pick it up (dealership is more than 15 miles away).

No one called me when the car was done. I begin calling the dealership at 4 PM. I had to call the service department more than five times to finally get someone on the phone, and then they cheerfully told me, "Oh yeah, it's been done, all the paperwork is sitting at the cashier."

I get there, and discover that they've charged me for the Mobil 1 oil that I brought in. I argue with the cashier, who insists that the charge for "5.1 quarts" is for the recycling of the oil, and not the new oil itself. I'm now in a big rush to get to my parents' anniversary dinner, so I just pay the bill and go to my car.

I brought in eight quarts of Mobil 1, because I couldn't remember how many quarts the RL takes, and my old car (Mercedes) took over seven quarts, and I didn't have the RL's manual with me. I now know from the bill that the RL takes about five quarts, meaning that there should be 2-3 quarts of Mobil 1 left. They didn't put them in my car. I go BACK inside and find a service guy, and explain things to him. He looks at the bill and tells me they DID charge me for the oil and shouldn't have, and that there should be 3 quarts of Mobil 1 in my front seat. I explain again that I've been to my car and there is nothing inside it, or in the trunk. He goes with me back to the car to make sure there aren't 3 quarts of oil hidden in my car. Nope, still not there. I see a tech in their dealership garage changing the oil on a 2004 Corvette...and next to it, a box of Mobil 1 oil... I hold my tongue for the moment.

Finally, we get the service manager involved, who seemed to care less about the fact that I was steamed. They charged me for oil that I brought in, and then actually took the extra oil from me, and are causing me to be even more late to a dinner party. Some other tech guy finally comes in with a Mobil 1 box and says, "Here is your oil, I swore I had put it back in your car." I give him a silent stare and take the box from him. Just then, the service manager claims that he can't refund my money on the oil because the "transaction has already been closed out." He offers to send me a check, or give me a service credit. The check process is taking him forever, and he finally says, "are you in a hurry or something?" I AGAIN explain the situation to him, and he says, "Oh, right, you have a dinner to go to. You can get on your way and I'll just issue you a credit for the oil in the computer."

I storm out of there, get in my car, and head to dinner, arriving 30 minutes late.

The next afternoon, I turn on my car to drive back to the city (Chicago). Hmm, interesting, no NaviTraffic...well, it's probably just updating, right? Let's listen to some XM....what? No XM either? Oh, it says I don't have an account and need to call XM to activate it. I just about drove off the road in anger. I call XM, give them the radio ID code (which, in order to pull up while driving, you have to turn off the bluetooth link), and they have "no record of that." Then they ask for the phone number the account is registered to. I give them my home #, my cell #, and even my parents' #, and they have "no record of that number." They then ask me if I'd like to "create a new XM account." I explain that I'm supposed to have FREE service for a year, and they say I'll have to contact the dealer... So, guess who is getting an earful from me on Monday? ARGH!!! SOOO frustrated!

I think I may ask for them to re-activate my free year of XM with a start date of TODAY. After all the grief, I don't think that's too much to ask... What do you think?

Randy
Old 10-24-2005, 04:44 AM
Instructor

Hey sorry to hear about that Randy. I know how it is. I had my 3 week old RL worked on 4 times for the tsb with the xm radio refresh. Finally the last time it cut out I was so pissed I called xm myself. I explained everything and the girl was able to activate my account with a year of service from the date that I called. Its sad we have to resort to takeing care of things ourself on a 50k+ car. I will no longer bring my car to the dealership unless the engine falls out and then again I still might try to fix it myself. Everytime I picked up the RL there was fingerprints everywhere and parts of the trunk lineing and seals were not put back right. Acura has allot of quality control issues on the service end to get straight before they start to sink.
Old 10-24-2005, 07:09 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Sorry to hear about your experience. Which dealer was this? I would definately send a leter to ACS and the GM of the dealer complaining about your service experience. Good luck resolving the XM issues, it shouldn't be too much hassle.
Old 10-24-2005, 11:16 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by vp911
Sorry to hear about your experience. Which dealer was this? I would definately send a leter to ACS and the GM of the dealer complaining about your service experience. Good luck resolving the XM issues, it shouldn't be too much hassle.
The only surprise is that anyone thinks this type of treatment is a surprise.

My experience with my Acura dealer is that the problem starts with the GM. They already know that they have a problem. They just hope that you silently go away and don't tell your friends.

Of course my XM radio was not registered after the replacement was installed.
Of course my complaint of squealing brakes was remedied by putting grease on the backing plate which worked for three full days before squealing again.
Of course they couldn't hear the tapping sound coming from six inches from the drivers left ear and this will take multiple trips to fix.

I have come to expect that most repairs are not done properly the first time.
I have come to expect that they will damage one part or dirty the carpet when they repair anything.

When the Acura rep took a ride with me due to my initial compaint about the noisy OEM tires, he said, "Well, this isn't meant to be a Lexus." That said it all.

That's why this will likely be the last Acura I will own.

Hope your mileage varies from mine.
Old 10-24-2005, 11:54 AM
Advanced

Randy -

You're not alone! CrazyTSXMods and I have been dealing with the same issues from a dealer in Northern VA. I wrote a letter to one of the owners and cc'd the GM. Acura has a long way to go before catching up to Lexus (in terms of service). To many of their service depts. are terrible and it starts with their management.

Good luck. . . and yes, by all means you should be entitled to restarting your year of XM. That's the least they should do.
Old 10-24-2005, 12:02 PM
Unemployed or retired?

Originally Posted by RandyChicago
Monday? ARGH!!! SOOO frustrated!

I think I may ask for them to re-activate my free year of XM with a start date of TODAY. After all the grief, I don't think that's too much to ask... What do you think?

Randy
Sorry to hear about your problems. But at least you have a great baseball team in the World Series!

I haven't taken my car in yet. But it appears the dealer ignores the instruction to register the radio with XM.
Old 10-27-2005, 03:16 PM
Instructor

First off, SOX win! Yes, I root for the Cubs over the Sox, but I've always been a Chicago fan...winning or losing, Bears, Bulls, Blackhawks, Sox, Cubs, Fire.

My XM continues to not work..
...and then work, and then not work.
The dealer blames XM.
XM blames the dealer.

I've already complained to Acura Client Services, and the told me to contact the dealer. Ugh. Hopefully it will be resolved by tomorrow.

Randy
Old 10-27-2005, 03:42 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by RandyChicago
I'll have to contact the dealer... So, guess who is getting an earful from me on Monday? ARGH!!! SOOO frustrated!
This is what I do to avoid dealer frustrations and aggravations:
I never show up to the dealer after the purchase unless there is something seriously wrong and in need of repair under warranty. I do all my own maintenance, including oil changes and 7500, 15-30K inspections, etc. Inspections are just that and they only take a few minutes to do. Oil changes are the simplest thing. I don't do any TSBs unless strictly necessary - like a safety recall for example. I have not and will not do the TSBs that are out so far for the RL because my car shifts just fine, I do not use OnStar and I can wait a few seconds for the information from XM to refresh. In fact, I like it better with the built-in delay it has now. I will not have the door handles replaced either because they very seldom fail to operate and I rather live with that than develop other maladies from the door surgery needed to replace the handles.

I have such a low opinion of dealers service departments! . . . I know. . . .
I do, however, know that what's done to my car is done right.
Old 10-27-2005, 04:01 PM
Cajun Gumbo Man

Received 55 Likes on 41 Posts
1HotNSX:
I can't agree with you more ! Story for you: Bought a 2004 RL. Everything was fine except the ashtray wouldn't open the way it was designed. They said no problem, we will order the part and change it under warranty. We will call you when we get it. I get home did some research and learned that they would have to REMOVE the center console/shift plate etc....I said "FORGET IT" No punk mechanic is gonna fook with my car and rip it apart in a careless manor ! 2 months later, it began to work flawlessly ! I've not returned to them in 16 plus months ! I too change my own oil/rotate tires and eyeball inspect fluids etc.....1st gen RL is bullet proof........