Cooled seat in Canada...how to get in US?

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2005, 07:13 AM
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cooled seat in Canada...how to get in US?

I love the RL, but a big problem for me is the lack of cooled seats. The Infiniti M, and Lexus GS both have them and they were VERY nice with the summer heat.

BUT, I saw today that they are standard on the Canadian RL! What's up with this? Can they be special ordered or retrofitted for the US seats?

Any idea of costs?
Old 08-27-2005, 08:49 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by lair
I love the RL, but a big problem for me is the lack of cooled seats. The Infiniti M, and Lexus GS both have them and they were VERY nice with the summer heat.
BUT, I saw today that they are standard on the Canadian RL! What's up with this? Can they be special ordered or retrofitted for the US seats?
Any idea of costs?
Many share your pain.
In my opinion, Acura offering NAV traffic & OnStar are not nearly as competive offerings as are cooled seats & B/Up camera. Sadly, as great as the RL is, they missed the boat on their US options offerings.

However, It DOES NOT make the RL one ounce inferior to the competition you mentioned above.

The problem is, it could be a deal breaker for those wanting cooled seats & camera, & who do not want the subscription services of NAV traffic or OnStar.

Let's face it......NAV T & OnStar are just taking up space if you elect not to renew subscriptions. To me, that's a shame cause you paid for those items!

Cooled seats & camera are options to be enjoyed for as long as you own the car...

Let's be honest.....has anyone purchased an RL over an M because the RL offered NAV T & OnStar whereas the M did not?

Steve C
Old 08-27-2005, 09:18 AM
6th Gear

Part from Canada?

I just got a printout from the US Acura dealer for the front seats. The exploded picture actually shows what seems to be the seat cooler parts, but the parts list for the US parts system excludes these parts and says n/a.

This implies to me that a retrofit should be quite straightforward, although there could be issues with the wiring harness. A seperate switch might be required to control the cooling fans.

I can .pdf these docs and post if people think this would help. The question is what would all those parts cost to get from a Canadian parts department and what would the install cost.
Old 08-27-2005, 09:22 AM
office monkey

It is odd they didnt add the cooled seats for the 06 model. I was certain they would.

Maybe they are going to wait for those badass cooled seats being designed right now (forget the company name but they make most of the OEM cooled seats) that allow you to set an actual temp for the cooling rather than just ventilate the air from underneath the seat...that is awesome and I look forward to when cars have those.