Cool "finds" and features of the RL (Did you know.... )

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2005, 12:43 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Had 4 of my family members checking out the light as I started the car. Needless to say they were pretty inpressed and so was I Sometimes it is the little things that no one else has that makes it so cool. My wife has an X3. Her lights do move but just for a second only only up. Thanks for the info guy's
Old 11-07-2005, 12:46 PM
Racer

I guess they are easily impressed Take 'em for a spin and really blow them away!

In my S4 both lights move briefly when you turn them on. I think it has something to do with the auto leveling.
Old 11-07-2005, 01:10 PM
Racer

Oh I forgot to add a little surprise I read about in the manual the other day. Amazing what little gems there are once you sit down and read the darn thing

In the glove compartment (which is pretty near unusable because it's so small) there'a s compartment at the top for the manuals. Push upward near the latch when the main glovebox is open and a small panel drops out. If you remove the sticker that tells you about it (and I ignored) this is a good place to put things that are sem-hidden. Like that .45 you need to keep the jackers out of your car! Seriously, the manual fits there just fine.
Old 11-07-2005, 11:02 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 996 Likes on 530 Posts
I just filled the washer fluid resevoir for the first time and it held at least 2 gallons (U.S. gallons or just under 8 liters)of fluid. A very handy feature for spring and fall around here when the snow is melting and the sanding trucks are out making a mess. This is double the capacity of any other vehicle I have owned. The extra capacity is handy since the headlight washers spray every time the windshield washers are used. The rationale is correct - everytime your windshield is dirty, so are your headlights and they both need washing.
Old 11-08-2005, 12:19 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by vp911
Check again at night when its dark and you can be sure. You can easily see it moving when you turn on the car.
Yeah you're right, I just didn't notice it before since only the right side moves.
Old 11-08-2005, 08:38 AM
JDM FREAK

The right side moves when the engine is turned on, but you can try this.
At night, drive for couple of minutes and then park in front of a wall or anything else where you can see the light movement, and steer left until the wheel locks, then turn the AFH (Active front headlight) off, and you'll see the light turning back to center, and if you turn the AFH on the light goes back to left. Cool game
Old 11-08-2005, 09:10 AM
Advanced

How do you turn off the AFH?
Old 11-08-2005, 09:47 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by AcuraJim
How do you turn off the AFH?
The button on the dash that says "AFH"
Old 11-08-2005, 10:07 AM
Advanced

LOL Thanks.
Old 11-08-2005, 10:29 AM
JDM FREAK

Originally Posted by stingerbtry
The button on the dash that says "AFH"
The AFH botton is on the left side of the dash right above or below the "VSA" Vehicle stability assistant
Old 11-08-2005, 11:10 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by hondamore
I just filled the washer fluid resevoir for the first time and it held at least 2 gallons (U.S. gallons or just under 8 liters)of fluid. A very handy feature for spring and fall around here when the snow is melting and the sanding trucks are out making a mess. This is double the capacity of any other vehicle I have owned. The extra capacity is handy since the headlight washers spray every time the windshield washers are used. The rationale is correct - everytime your windshield is dirty, so are your headlights and they both need washing.

How nice it is to have headlight washers! You guys are lucky.
Old 11-08-2005, 12:37 PM
Three Wheelin'

Sorry, I didn't realize that the headlight washers were not available on the U.S. RL's. Just as with the heated seats issue, I will remind one and all that the price of the RL in Canada is about $10,000 more than in the U.S. so we are not getting these little extras for nothing.
Old 11-08-2005, 01:08 PM
Racer

Sorry, I didn't realize that the headlight washers were not available on the U.S. RL's. Just as with the heated seats issue, I will remind one and all that the price of the RL in Canada is about $10,000 more than in the U.S. so we are not getting these little extras for nothing.
Honestly since we never get snow/ice here I am glad we don't have them. I think it would be worse to have dried wiper fluid spots all over the bumper from the washers since I tend to use my wipers almost every morning to clear off the windshield. I do however think it's cool that you guys have them since you may actually get to use them sometime but so would a huge chunk of the US, go figure. I am from Ohio and I know that they could sure use headlight washers up there during the winter. I wouldn't mind having the cooled seats though although I would probaly never use those either.
Old 11-08-2005, 01:09 PM
Racer

Another thing, would you guys have chosen to save the 10k and go without the washers, cooled seats and whatever else you may have that we don't? I know I probably would have. Too bad you didn't have that choice though, which would've been nice either way.
Old 11-08-2005, 02:03 PM
Карты убийцы

Received 125 Likes on 100 Posts
I was looking at a 2006 and told my wife that the new ones had a toggle on the steering wheel column to move the wheel back and forth in addition to up and down.

Then my dumb ass gets into my 2005 and realize that I have the same feature.

BTW, I can't see ANY difference in the 2005 v. the 2006.
Old 11-08-2005, 02:06 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Old 11-08-2005, 04:27 PM
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
Guys,

Here's two questions....

You already answered what the two buttons to the left of the
steering wheel is. The AFH has to do with the auto-headlights
and the VSA is the Vehicle Stability Unit.

First, how do you know when pushing either of these buttons if
they are ON or OFF. I have only briefly played with these buttons
and never noticed if there was an indicator on the dash that they
were ON or OFF.

Secondly, what does the Vehicle Stability Unit do? I have been
told that the 4-wheel drive system that shifts power amongst
wheels goes on by default. I always thought THAT was the
car's stability system.

...so what is the VSA?
Old 11-08-2005, 04:30 PM
Suzuka Master

I think the VSA applies your brakes to the wheel that is slipping.
Old 11-08-2005, 04:36 PM
Racer

It does a little more than that. It tries to detect the intended curve of the car and compares that against the actual one. It then applies the brakes wherever is appropriate to get the car back on track. There may be an explanation on the DVD that came with the car.
Old 11-08-2005, 05:16 PM
kgd
Instructor

I am glad the RL does not have the washers for the head lights. I have that on one of my other cars and never use it. They only time i do is unintentional and then I have washer fluid all over my hood that I need to wash off.
Old 11-08-2005, 05:21 PM
Racer

When using the power door mirror switch to automatically pivot downward slightly the mirror when shifting into reverse, you can use the adjustment switch to further adjust the mirror manually if the automatic adjustment isn't enough, and when taking the transmission out of reverse, the mirror will still return to its original position...manually fooling with the mirror while in reverse mode won't change the initial setting.
Old 11-08-2005, 06:46 PM
Advanced

I asked this before in another thread and never heard a response.......Did anyone ever find out what the "4xlo" listed on the center stack below the preset buttons mean?? Thanks.
Old 11-08-2005, 07:23 PM
JDM FREAK

Originally Posted by NJRonbo
Guys,

Here's two questions....

You already answered what the two buttons to the left of the
steering wheel is. The AFH has to do with the auto-headlights
and the VSA is the Vehicle Stability Unit.

First, how do you know when pushing either of these buttons if
they are ON or OFF. I have only briefly played with these buttons
and never noticed if there was an indicator on the dash that they
were ON or OFF.

Secondly, what does the Vehicle Stability Unit do? I have been
told that the 4-wheel drive system that shifts power amongst
wheels goes on by default. I always thought THAT was the
car's stability system.

...so what is the VSA?
I think the second question was answered, and here is an answer to the first one.
When you push any of these buttons and they deactivate the function, the instrument pannel will display them in what i believe is Orange color, which means they are off. correct me if i'm wrong, but VSA goes on every single time you turn on your engine even if it was previously turned off and as far as AFH, it stays on until you turn it off.
Old 11-08-2005, 08:13 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by kph3
I asked this before in another thread and never heard a response.......Did anyone ever find out what the "4xlo" listed on the center stack below the preset buttons mean?? Thanks.
I asked Acura client services and they told me that it was the model number for the radio.
Old 11-08-2005, 08:35 PM
Three Wheelin'

I looked and can't find a "4xlo" anywhere. Just below the presets is the control knob for the Nav/AC.
Old 11-08-2005, 08:48 PM
Advanced

sfintel...thanks.

hondamore........on my car, it is below the #6 preset button.
Old 11-08-2005, 08:49 PM
Three Wheelin'

I looked and can't find a "4xlo" anywhere. Just below the presets is the control knob for the Nav/AC.
Never mind, the Canadian set up is probably totally different than the U.S. set up since we have no XM radio etc.
Old 11-09-2005, 05:30 AM
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
When you push any of these buttons and they deactivate the function, the instrument pannel will display them in what i believe is Orange color, which means they are off.
Interesting. One would think the opposite. If an icon is displayed
on your dash I would think it would mean that function is ACTIVE.

I know that pressing the AVS button puts a yellow yield icon with an
exclamation point in the dash display. To me, that tells me it is OFF
(as it looks like a warning sign). Perhaps I am perceiving this wrong.

Yet...

Pressing the AFH button puts yellow AFH text in the display. To me,
that says the feature is turned ON.

Very confusing. I'll have to consult the manual.
Old 11-09-2005, 09:24 AM
Pro

VSA as stated controls the brakes individually as well as the throttle. It corrects over and understeer. I had an experience with it last year and all I can say is WOW. This is they type of system every car should have as I was able to steer around a teenager who didn't know how to drive on snow and ice. Yes when you turn it off the triangle with the explanation mark lights up to say it is off. That same icon also lights up and blinks to say the system is active. VSA (the letters) light up if there is a problem with the system which means stabibility and traction control are not working.

10k more for heated/ cooled seats as well as headlight washers is too much money on something that should add hundreds not thousands of dollars. Must be an exchange thing going on.

For our friends to the north, are your washer jets heated? If not then to me headlight washers are pointless because the fluid will freeze then minute it hits the lamp covers plus hot liquid does clean better then cool/ cold liquid. It is also stupid for Honda to insist on the headlights being washed when the windshield is. There should be a separate button somewhere on the dash that way you can use them as needed.
Old 11-09-2005, 10:54 AM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Precision Crafted
10k more for heated/ cooled seats as well as headlight washers is too much money on something that should add hundreds not thousands of dollars. Must be an exchange thing going on.

For our friends to the north, are your washer jets heated? If not then to me headlight washers are pointless because the fluid will freeze then minute it hits the lamp covers plus hot liquid does clean better then cool/ cold liquid. It is also stupid for Honda to insist on the headlights being washed when the windshield is. There should be a separate button somewhere on the dash that way you can use them as needed.
The extra 10K we pay for the RL is more a reflection of the market up here. All cars are more expensive relative to the U.S. - they just charge what they can get away with. When the Euro skyrocketed, a lot of european cars got a lot more expensive and the American and Japanese automakers just increased their prices just because they could.
Regarding the headlight washers, most people up here fill their system with windshield washer antifreeze that is good to -40 degrees so freezing isn't a problem until you get to the northern 1/2 of the country or when we are having a really cold spell. I'm really not sure if the washer jets are heated - I'll try to find out and get back to you.
Old 11-13-2005, 02:50 PM
kgd
Instructor

Re: 4xlo

I think that is for serious 4 wheel off roading.
Old 11-14-2005, 09:00 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 180 Likes on 129 Posts
Is this thread only for people that didn't get a manual?
Old 11-14-2005, 09:03 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by db22

This thread is for people who don't want to read the manual and for the various other things which arn't listed in the manul.
Old 11-14-2005, 07:17 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by db22
I've read through the manuals several times, and still discover "little things that make a difference" (quote shamelessly stolen from a horse trainer on RFD satellite TV this weekend).

This has been an enjoyable thread.
Old 09-13-2006, 11:33 AM
2012 Cadillac CTS-V Coupe

Received 95 Likes on 66 Posts
Another thing. There is a handle on the inside of the trunk lid (right side) that you can use to shut the trunk. That way you won't get your hands dirty when that car is dirty or you won't get fingerprints on it when it's clean.
Old 09-13-2006, 07:15 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I noticed that one today also, nice touch.
Old 09-14-2006, 07:41 PM
06 RL - 04 TL

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by dseag2
I'm sure everyone else already knows this, but I just found out the front door handles light up when you open the doors using the "unlock" button on the key fob. (Yes, I'm a little slow. ) I had always used keyless entry, so I'd never seen it before. It's nice to still be finding cool new features after 3 months.
Don't feel badly, have had mine for a while (4 months or so) and had yet to see the lights on the doors.

Just came back from playing...er, researching this matter and found that you have to have the car locked to get the unlock/light to work. Also found that if you only press once, JUST the driver side lights.

And, as you would expect at this point, press twice the passenger side unlocks AND lights!

Pretty cool for techno trivia. <chuckle>

Tom
Old 09-14-2006, 07:56 PM
06 RL - 04 TL

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Nocturnal
Learned something good about the AC system the other day. When you say 'air conditioner off' it'll keep all other functions automatic. This goes for all other settings as well. So once you've changed the fan speed the computer won't control it anymore. Now the only way to make it automatic again is to hit the 'auto' button. Of course this will make everything automatic, not just the item you last touched.

The only nit I have left for the climate system is that once turned off you can only turn it on by pushing 'auto' as far as I know. It would have been nice if pushing 'off' again would revert it back to the way it was when turned off. Of course I don't turn it off very often so it's just a nit.

Found today that on the AC screen, you can push the button/jog wheel and turn the AC off/on. It will show the status of the AC on the screen also - gives you an idea of where you are in the overall scheme of things. <g>

Tom
Old 09-14-2006, 08:19 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,613 Likes on 2,193 Posts
I can't believe no one has posted in this thread about this particular function of the remote.

On my test drive two weeks ago, the salesman said, "watch this!" and tossed the key fob into the trunk, then tried to close it. It didn't lock, and instead bounced back up slightly. You can't lock your key in the trunk accidentally as a result! I thought that was a neat, though geeky detail.

I sure wish my TL did that!
Old 09-14-2006, 09:18 PM
JDM FREAK

Originally Posted by tvande
Don't feel badly, have had mine for a while (4 months or so) and had yet to see the lights on the doors.

Just came back from playing...er, researching this matter and found that you have to have the car locked to get the unlock/light to work. Also found that if you only press once, JUST the driver side lights.

And, as you would expect at this point, press twice the passenger side unlocks AND lights!

Pretty cool for techno trivia. <chuckle>

Tom
You can customize yout lock/unlock so that all doors can be unlock by one press on the key fob

Quick Reply: Cool "finds" and features of the RL (Did you know.... )