Considering a RL purchase - 3 questions

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2009 | 10:48 AM
2nd Gear

Question Considering a RL purchase - 3 questions

Howdy all,
I've been impressed with the feature list on the 2005-2009 RL and put it on my list of cars to consider. I'm in the market for a used 4-door luxury sport sedan and wanted to know a few things about the RL.

1. Does anyone think the transmission shifting is a little "jerky" or too noticeable? I've been driving Lexus cars for the last 6 yrs and this become obvious very quickly (SC430, LS430, GS400, and RX300)
  2. Road noise, bearing noise, or transmission noise becomes increasingly loud at 55+ mph. I've only driven 2 RLs, but the one i and testing today has 65k miles on it and it had vibration and a humming noise at that higher speed. Is this common?
  3. Ambient lighting. I like the lighting in the 2006 I'm testing today. It has BLUE in the foot well, door handles, and probably other places... that that standard?
  4. Final bonus question... what is the cost to install a backup camera? Has anyone performed a DIY install or is this a dealer only project.
Thanks for the feedback. I'm close to selecting my next car and hope this helps me make my selection.

Cheers,
Old 07-16-2009 | 11:24 AM
Burning Brakes

I'll chime in.

1) I find the shifting somewhat leisurely, and occassionally a little bit firm (jerky is too perjorative for me).
2) I find the car pretty quiet all the way around. I wouldn't consider it loud. However, Honda products are known for having a bit more road noise than other brands.
3) Blue lighting is normal. I like it, too.
4) Been done -- look in the Audi, Bluetooth, Navigation, and Electronics board in the 2nd Gen RL forum. https://acurazine.com/forums/showthr...=backup+camera

Hope this helps.

By the way, what are you comparing the RL against, and why are you considering leaving Lexus?

Rob144
Old 07-16-2009 | 11:53 AM
Safety Car

^^^That would be Audio, not Audi!

Regarding number 2, is that tire related? We have found that tires can make a big difference in road noise. The Michelins tend to get noiser over time, like many tires.
Old 07-16-2009 | 12:52 PM
2nd Gear

Thanks for the quick replies!
The noise appears to be associated with a minor vibration that appears above 55mph. I'm sure it's not the tires, because the sound is more of a whine vs. the hum of the tires. After reading a few posts, i'm wondering if it might be the torque converter?

I've have also owned a Integra, Accord, and TL... but my most recent cars have been Lexus. Since I'm in the market for a sporty luxury car, that leaves the GS as an option. I'm not happy with the rear interior space and it doesn't have a few of the things RL does (backup cam, window shades, 5.1 audio, and the handling is less direct. If I had more money in the car fund, i'd buy a 2008 RL with a warranty. This car i'm testing is obviously out of warranty and i'm a bit concerned about its reliability. That was one reason I have stayed with Lexus.
Old 07-16-2009 | 01:09 PM
Burning Brakes

The RL has, like all Hondas. proven to be exceptionally reliable other than a few glitches. My biggest concern is that the noise you hear at 55MPH isn't the dreaded propeller shaft bearing whistle - one of the glitches on some RLs (HERE'S the thread on that). If it is, it would be very expensive to repair outside of warranty.

LL
Old 07-16-2009 | 01:18 PM
Instructor

have you seen the rl 05 with 250k miles on it. it could prove something. Moreover, at first i got actually two Lexus; the sc430 and the ls 430, they ran great at first and i was very pleasing with it. But, after time they two both failed miserably and the cost to repair them was unimaginable. i think i know why you move to acura. Good luck with that
Old 07-16-2009 | 02:36 PM
The Box

Originally Posted by sherman_nguyen
have you seen the rl 05 with 250k miles on it. it could prove something. Moreover, at first i got actually two Lexus; the sc430 and the ls 430, they ran great at first and i was very pleasing with it. But, after time they two both failed miserably and the cost to repair them was unimaginable. i think i know why you move to acura. Good luck with that
Could you please tell us what exactly failed on the SC430 and the LS430? I've owned a couple of Lexus's and I've never had any issues.
Old 07-16-2009 | 02:42 PM
.... .... .... ... ....

yeah but with 250k miles its all about how you drive..

I highly doubt i can last that long
Old 07-16-2009 | 02:56 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by DDLexus
Howdy all,
I've been impressed with the feature list on the 2005-2009 RL and put it on my list of cars to consider. I'm in the market for a used 4-door luxury sport sedan and wanted to know a few things about the RL.

1. Does anyone think the transmission shifting is a little "jerky" or too noticeable? I've been driving Lexus cars for the last 6 yrs and this become obvious very quickly (SC430, LS430, GS400, and RX300)
  2. Road noise, bearing noise, or transmission noise becomes increasingly loud at 55+ mph. I've only driven 2 RLs, but the one i and testing today has 65k miles on it and it had vibration and a humming noise at that higher speed. Is this common?
  3. Ambient lighting. I like the lighting in the 2006 I'm testing today. It has BLUE in the foot well, door handles, and probably other places... that that standard?
  4. Final bonus question... what is the cost to install a backup camera? Has anyone performed a DIY install or is this a dealer only project.
Thanks for the feedback. I'm close to selecting my next car and hope this helps me make my selection.

Cheers,
1. I found the transmission to be jerky for the first hundred or so miles, after that it smoothed out after it learned my driving habits.

2. There is some road noise, but its a bit less than the TL. This can be easily solved by adding a little bit of sound-deadner to the doors of the car. As well, tires play a big role in this two, some can produce the whine/vibration you report, others dont

3. The ambient lighting is standard on every RL. There was only 3 trims for the RL, Non-Navi, navi, and then the CMBS/PAX pakage where the collision mitigation system, Active Cruise Control and PAX runflat tires were added.

For the money and reliability, the RL is a great car.
Old 07-16-2009 | 03:10 PM
Torch & Pitchfork Posse

Many want more gears in the RL tranny. I agree with Rob, it can be leisurely, but mostly smooth. I have several Lexus in the family with 6+ gears. I have found them 'jerky' to drive smoothly. The extra gears are great for acceleration and fuel efficiency....but when trying to drive smoothly they seem to constantly hunt for gears. Lower gears, less shifting, maybe smoother, but not optimum use of the engine. Pick your poison, or look for a CVT vehicle.

If you want a back up camera, you should consider an 06+ RL for factory camera options. 06 was dealer installed, 07+ was factory installed. 05 RLs do not have OEM camera capability.

Road noise can be a number of factors. The OEM Michelins are not the quietest tires out there, especially after they wear. But road surface also affects the tire noise. On smooth asphalt roads, my RL is eerily quiet. On coarse grainy roads, these is some howl.

Generally speaking most RLs owners find them quiet. So much so in a manner that we hear sounds likely drowned out by road & engine noise in most other cars.
Old 07-16-2009 | 07:35 PM
Instructor

Pay a little more now for an 06 or greater. Warranty is an absolute must!!! It's not that the RL is unreliable but the expense to fix if needed is great.
Old 07-16-2009 | 07:42 PM
Torch & Pitchfork Posse

^^^

also keep in mind the factory warranty on the 06+ models is longer than the 05 RLs, so that may be something to consider with cost differentials.
Old 07-16-2009 | 09:00 PM
Burning Brakes

Counter argument for all you 05 basher! 05 RL 300HP > 06-08 RL 290HP....Suck It!
Old 07-16-2009 | 09:02 PM
Torch & Pitchfork Posse

Originally Posted by Rhlieu
Counter argument for all you 05 basher! 05 RL 300HP > 06-08 RL 290HP....Suck It!
Stick to the D List Kathy Griffin.

Same engine, same HP, different measuring parameters.
Old 07-16-2009 | 09:09 PM
Burning Brakes

Edit: Oops...looks like TanpaRL beat me...

Sorry...same engine, same power, different measurement standard:

In 2005, the SAE introduced a new test protocol for engine horsepower and torque. The new protocol eliminates some of the flexibility in power measurement, and requires an independent observer present when engines are measured. The test is voluntary, but engines completing it can be advertised as "SAE-certified".

A few manufacturers such as Honda and Toyota switched to the new ratings immediately...

LL
Old 07-16-2009 | 09:33 PM
Instructor

No bash intended. I love my 05 gal. She just has some imperfections that were worked out a little later.

First year of a major mremodel. This is common.
Old 07-16-2009 | 10:52 PM
.... .... .... ... ....

05 ftw!
Old 07-16-2009 | 11:32 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by TampaRL
Stick to the D List Kathy Griffin.

Same engine, same HP, different measuring parameters.
Oooh Ryan, don't mess with TampaRL. He's got a smokin' can of whoop A$$.
Old 07-16-2009 | 11:35 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by stevesrl
No bash intended. I love my 05 gal. She just has some imperfections that were worked out a little later.

First year of a major mremodel. This is common.
Agreed. I had my fair share of annoying issues...most of which were resolved in the '06. BUT, I got a grrrrreat deal on my '05 so I don't have any regrets (got to drive many new loaners).
Old 07-17-2009 | 12:40 AM
Burning Brakes

Here is the answer:
1) No.
2) No.
3) Yes.
4) Yes. if you get 05, no backup camera option, 06+ you can get oem camera and plug into the back of the navi unit, 07 and 08, camera is standard on the tech version with camera in different location than 06.

p.s. do some search on the DIY
Old 07-17-2009 | 12:50 PM
Burning Brakes

RL members in here are well informed with an extremely accurate BULL SHIT detector!

So I will try making my 2nd counter argument a bit more honest! Even though the 05 RL was the first year production model, Acura seemingly spent a lot of R&D in refining their flagship sedan. I agree that there are some minor glitches and recalls from the 05’s (all cover under warranty), but going forward (06-08) there hasn’t been anything overly excessive (the addition of CMBS/PAX, rear camera options) implemented. Due to those factors, a CPO 05 *extended 7-year / 100,000-mile Powertrain Limited Warranty* still might be the best bang for the buck as most 05 RL are in the $18-$21k range compared to $24-$28k for 06 and up.

If I receive any more bashing from Mr. Tampa, I might be obligated to start my very own 05 RL - Owner Unite thread!
Old 07-17-2009 | 01:22 PM
Instructor

>>> I am comparing to 2006 Benz E350, E500, Audi A6Q, Infinity G35, M35 and Nissan Maxima i drove before the RL. The RL transmission is NOT butter smooth, but it is very well balanced, CAN BE smooth once it gets used to your driving style, responds well under full trottle and seems to be well built. It is not 'DSG quick' and the paddle shifters are not as responsive as they should be but this is to be expected with any regular auto tranny. The other cars i mentioned, all had Auto Transmissions that were NOT perfect. (slow, jerky, hunting too many gears, etc)

>>> If the car has the original Michelin tires - they can make a lot of noise and sometimes vibration. I know - i currently have them and i am not crazy about them.
The humming noise, i am afraid is the propeller shaft/bearing noise. I had this noise on my 06 RL + some light vibration above 60mph. The dealer replaced the propeller shaft and all is smooth and quiet now. This was covered under warranty (i have 38k miles). You do NOT want to pay for this repair out of your pocket = $$$$. Buy an Acura RL with some remaining warranty.

>>> Already answered.

>>> I found OEM Acura backup cameras on Ebay for ~$400 with instructions on how to install them yourself. I am considering one for my car.

I hope this helps!

Last edited by danmm7; 07-17-2009 at 01:24 PM.
Old 07-17-2009 | 05:26 PM
Torch & Pitchfork Posse

Wink

If I receive any more bashing from Mr. Tampa, I might be obligated to start my very own 05 RL - Owner Unite thread!
I am not bashing the 05 at all. It is as fine as the following MYs. But there have been a few more teething issues on the 1st year, none of which would stop me from buying an 05 as long as I had all the TSBs and recall addressed.

That said, buying an 06 or later may offer the opportunity for buyer to still be under OEM warranty and not necessarily feel pressured to buy an extended warranty immediately (and cost factors). Still I would consider a CPO no matter what year.

Sounds like someone is just a little envious he does not have an 06 RL....in gorgeous OBP....with Taupe interior.....freshly detailed, glazed and waxed....with all systems at 100%.

So feel free to join the 12 step program of your choice.
Old 07-17-2009 | 08:05 PM
Drifting

i've been shopping for everything out there - test drove E350, TL, TL-S, new TL, TSX.. I like hte Acuras....

While the RL has a less "sporty" ride, it is one heck of a luxury/perofrmance bargain. you cans find CPO 05 and 06 models in the mid 20s. and keep in mind, those are asking prices. the RL doesn't exactly FLY off the carlots... i htink the dealers are motivated to move them b/c they are low demand items..

i bet you could negotiate a pretty good deal