Confirmed "Technology package" for 06 RL

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2005, 04:35 AM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Confirmed "Technology package" for 06 RL

Don't know if this has been posted yet, but I received my Acura Style Magazine and there is a small article confirming what Acura calls the technology package for the RL. It consists of the Adaptive Cruise Control, Collision Mitigation Braking system and the advanced Michelin -developed PAX run flat tire system, for a smoother ride, better handling, and superior fuel effeciency over conventional run-flat tires.

I hope thats all they add to 06
Old 07-03-2005, 08:20 AM
Retired MOD

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by ck37
Don't know if this has been posted yet, but I received my Acura Style Magazine and there is a small article confirming what Acura calls the technology package for the RL. It consists of the Adaptive Cruise Control, Collision Mitigation Braking system and the advanced Michelin -developed PAX run flat tire system, for a smoother ride, better handling, and superior fuel effeciency over conventional run-flat tires.

I hope thats all they add to 06
About time. I really thought they would have the PAX system on the 05 RL, but I guess I was wrong. The PAX system is a totally redesign wheel struture, not just the run flat tires. Hopefully aftermarket will adapt to the new pax system and the local shops will have the equipment to work on this tires and rims.

http://www.michelinman.com/differenc...paxsystem.html

Old 07-03-2005, 08:40 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
That's it for the tech package?

If I wuz them, I'd make the PAX system a stand alone option (dealer-installed option).

Then to the other stuff of the tech package, add on rain sensing wipers and backuip camera. Maybe add cooled seats also to the package.
Old 07-03-2005, 09:05 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I think the PAX system should be standard. I agree with mrdeeno - cooled seats would be a good add-on to the package as well.

My only worry - the adaptive cruise control - if it is anything like what I had in the FX35, I would hate it. 1. It was not a very good system, if you went around a curve and there was a truck going the opposite direction, the car would slow down thinking you are approaching the truck too fast. 2. Even when the system is off, the laser from it set off my radar detector all the time. I eventually put duct tape over the system to prevent it from working - but if these other systems (e.g. by acura) uses radar instead of laser, it would really drive me nuts because my radar detector would be ineffective unless there was a way to completely shut the system off.
Old 07-03-2005, 09:16 AM
BARF1

What is a "Collision Mitigation Braking system"?
Old 07-03-2005, 09:56 AM
office monkey

Surprsied they dont have rain sensing wipers as an option for 06. My friends Mazda 3 has rain sensing wipers so you'd think this car could have them....not that I really care since I doubt I'd use the feature that much unless it has been super tweaked since the 2001 days.
Old 07-03-2005, 11:28 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Onboard computer concludes there will be an imminent collision so it tightens up the seatbelts, activates 100% stopping power to the braking system, etc.... similiar to what other manufacturers are using.

As for PAX, it's a great concept unfortunately there are limited numbers of dealers/tire shops that have the capability let alone the knowledge to run one of these systems. A tire change (i've heard) can take up to an hour on one tire and the risk of rim damage is high (if the tech doesn't follow Michelin's guidelines to the tooth). I think i'll wait on PAX and just stick to good 'ole standard tires/spare.

Originally Posted by AmuseLegend
What is a "Collision Mitigation Braking system"?
Old 07-03-2005, 12:34 PM
Instructor

Well I don't think they are going to release all of the differences for 06 this soon. This is more or less a safetly article promoting the 05 RL and making Acura stand out in terms of "firsts" a bit more.

I would be shocked if they add on ventilated seats, back up camera's for 06. If they did, hopefully they would think of having them retrofitted for the 05's for a fee so they do not upset any existing customers. Last thing they need are 05's flooding used car lots.

It's funny, the same discussions were prominent aroud the FX when it was released. Everyone thought they would add all of these additional options that seemed reasonable and from what I remember I believe the second year resulted in different color choices or combinations, adjustment for passenger seatsettings (like the RL), aluminum roof rails, and breaking up the technology package so you didn't have to get the DVD player. and that's about it.

Acura is fighting their 50,000.00 price tag justification to the public. if anything I think Acura might offer some sort of optional packages for customers if they choose to go that route to come in at a more reaonable price. But to include everything and the kitchen sink for the price they want, I don't see that happening. Even the way this option was presented in the article seemed like an "optional package"

One thing I believe though, is that while we might not have some of the options the Canadians or japanese have, doesn't mean our cars aren't pre-configured for these options in terms of wiring, etc. We just don't have the final pieces installed.
Old 07-03-2005, 02:52 PM
Retired MOD

Well I don't think they are going to release all of the differences for 06 this soon. This is more or less a safetly article promoting the 05 RL and making Acura stand out in terms of "firsts" a bit more.

I would be shocked if they add on ventilated seats, back up camera's for 06. If they did, hopefully they would think of having them retrofitted for the 05's for a fee so they do not upset any existing customers. Last thing they need are 05's flooding used car lots.

It's funny, the same discussions were prominent aroud the FX when it was released. Everyone thought they would add all of these additional options that seemed reasonable and from what I remember I believe the second year resulted in different color choices or combinations, adjustment for passenger seatsettings (like the RL), aluminum roof rails, and breaking up the technology package so you didn't have to get the DVD player. and that's about it.

Acura is fighting their 50,000.00 price tag justification to the public. if anything I think Acura might offer some sort of optional packages for customers if they choose to go that route to come in at a more reaonable price. But to include everything and the kitchen sink for the price they want, I don't see that happening. Even the way this option was presented in the article seemed like an "optional package"

One thing I believe though, is that while we might not have some of the options the Canadians or japanese have, doesn't mean our cars aren't pre-configured for these options in terms of wiring, etc. We just don't have the final pieces installed.
They are known for doing sutff like that. I remember the 99TL to the 00TL. The 99TL of course totally re-design from 98 TL. Major things included DVD navi, instead of HD Navi, big difference. 5-speed trans instead of 4-speed. They even market the 00 TL with "over 500 chances from previous TL" ain't that something. then soon after the 02Tl came out with many changes the 04TL came totally re-desing and 500% improved over the 03TL type S for just a few dollars more.

I see acura making lot's of changes to the 06 TL and probably the 06 RL. We will know after it comes out.
Old 07-03-2005, 02:58 PM
Burning Brakes

Ventilated seats and backup camera are nice....but add to the list of more things to break. I'm quite happy with the way the RL is equipped, as I do not appreciate the aspect of having a draft blowing up my rear side (ventilated seats deletes the heat seating coils). I do hope they add the new safety stuff (as BMW, MB, Audi, SAAB, Volvo, etc.) have it all ready.

Old 07-03-2005, 03:01 PM
Instructor

I agree on the TL. I think we will see some definitive changes. But as for the RL. I see package options to keep the price down. They shot themselves in the foot pricing it at 50,000.00. We all knew it was a risk when we heard the price, and our assumptions were correct. If they give the buyer lets say two or even three optional packages, to customize their RL to their liking, then they can keep the car in the mid 40's where it needs to be. For the people that want everything, they will have to pay a bit more.

However on the flip side the problem is here is they can't drop the MSRP. That would be like admitting defeat, which is not in the Japanese nature. I think they are going to have to come up with some "creative" pricing changes.

Since I don't know the history of the TL's you mentioned, were you able to purchase some of those addtional features that were available on the following year TL?
Old 07-03-2005, 03:03 PM
Instructor

LOL!! I agree. My buddies S600 has air conditioned seats and it is an "odd" feeling.
It's like feeling violated to some degree.
Anyways AV Electronics has a back up camera system for the 05 RL. I know they are not that expensive, in fact I think they are on par price wise with the price Acura wants to charge for the back up sensors.

Originally Posted by gbriank
Ventilated seats and backup camera are nice....but add to the list of more things to break. I'm quite happy with the way the RL is equipped, as I do not appreciate the aspect of having a draft blowing up my rear side (ventilated seats deletes the heat seating coils). I do hope they add the new safety stuff (as BMW, MB, Audi, SAAB, Volvo, etc.) have it all ready.
Old 07-03-2005, 03:32 PM
Retired MOD

I agree on the TL. I think we will see some definitive changes. But as for the RL. I see package options to keep the price down. They shot themselves in the foot pricing it at 50,000.00. We all knew it was a risk when we heard the price, and our assumptions were correct. If they give the buyer lets say two or even three optional packages, to customize their RL to their liking, then they can keep the car in the mid 40's where it needs to be. For the people that want everything, they will have to pay a bit more.

However on the flip side the problem is here is they can't drop the MSRP. That would be like admitting defeat, which is not in the Japanese nature. I think they are going to have to come up with some "creative" pricing changes.

Since I don't know the history of the TL's you mentioned, were you able to purchase some of those addtional features that were available on the following year TL?
Nope. Well I knew some people that bought a Navi DVD from a crash car in the junk yard and put it on the 99TL. I knew one person that actually added the navi system to a non-navi TL. Not like the 04 were the screen is there if you choose the navi or not, he had to do the whole thing.

My best guess like it was a year ago, is take the SH-AWD from standard have it as an option. Maybe do what the 04 TL does with the Navi system. That alone can bring the price down to the low 40's but still have SH-AWD avaliable. I'm almost 100% sure that the 06 TL will have SH-AWD, but probably not standard. So to make it a standard line up, then do the same with the RL. It makes sense.
Old 07-03-2005, 03:40 PM
Burning Brakes

So, Bitinum.....are you a native German or an American stationed at Ramstein?

Originally Posted by Bitium
Nope. Well I knew some people that bought a Navi DVD from a crash car in the junk yard and put it on the 99TL. I knew one person that actually added the navi system to a non-navi TL. Not like the 04 were the screen is there if you choose the navi or not, he had to do the whole thing.

My best guess like it was a year ago, is take the SH-AWD from standard have it as an option. Maybe do what the 04 TL does with the Navi system. That alone can bring the price down to the low 40's but still have SH-AWD avaliable. I'm almost 100% sure that the 06 TL will have SH-AWD, but probably not standard. So to make it a standard line up, then do the same with the RL. It makes sense.
Old 07-03-2005, 03:55 PM
Retired MOD

Originally Posted by gbriank
So, Bitinum.....are you a native German or an American stationed at Ramstein?
I'm an american citizen stationed(AF) in germany that was made in the USA, but born in caracas, venezuela.
Old 07-03-2005, 04:55 PM
Instructor

But isn't the SH-AWD their clame to fame on the RL? to take that away and go FWD would negate the evolution they are trying to show buyers.
When it comes down to it, everyones guess is valid. All I know is that they have an uphill battle to win over customers and it might take a few years for them to find the right niche.

Old 07-03-2005, 05:34 PM
Retired MOD

But isn't the SH-AWD their clame to fame on the RL? to take that away and go FWD would negate the evolution they are trying to show buyers.
When it comes down to it, everyones guess is valid. All I know is that they have an uphill battle to win over customers and it might take a few years for them to find the right niche.
Of course. Well technically you are not taking it away, just not having it as standard. I know SH-AWD is the fundation of the RL, but Acura will have to make a decission or come up with some sort of way to attract more buyers.

You know I love the RL because of SH-AWD. Maybe the SH-AWD with a 6-speed attached will have a bigger impact on buyers. Look at the TL it was not going to get were it is right now, if it wasn't for the 6-speed. I think they sell as many 6-speed as they do automatics. Man I have argue about 6-speed for years and told many that the TL was giong to get a 6-speed and alsmost everyone told me otherwise and that it would never happen...haha. I think it was over 3 years ago, that I said Honda will never go RWD, they will go AWD and I have been waiting until now, so trust me I love SH-AWD more than many.

I'm still waiting for Honda to develop a new transmission, they can stick to regular automatics forever. They need something like DSG or SMG trasmissions. I know that when honda does come out with a new transmission it will be better than any other out there.

I guess we would have to seat and wait.
Old 07-03-2005, 06:18 PM
Instructor

Agreed. good points. In fact, I think we might see the SMG type of thing on the TL before the RL. Being that the TL is a sportier type of car than the RL. That is indeed the next evolution for the better driving experience. Also since we are seeing G35's and Lexus models moving into the AWD arena, it should only make sense for Acura to keep up with the " Jones" that they incorporate it into the TL.. They had their year of exclusiviy with the RL in 05, so now its the TL's turn.

All these discussions made me think about my lease with the 05 RL, but as I see it, and others that I have talked to, chances are, the discounts offered right now, might not be around in the following year. Even then the more I wait, the less I get for my TL. for the trade in value I am getting now, once the 06's come in, it will drop even more, especially if they add a significant amount of new options.

Of course. Well technically you are not taking it away, just not having it as standard. I know SH-AWD is the fundation of the RL, but Acura will have to make a decission or come up with some sort of way to attract more buyers.

You know I love the RL because of SH-AWD. Maybe the SH-AWD with a 6-speed attached will have a bigger impact on buyers. Look at the TL it was not going to get were it is right now, if it wasn't for the 6-speed. I think they sell as many 6-speed as they do automatics. Man I have argue about 6-speed for years and told many that the TL was giong to get a 6-speed and alsmost everyone told me otherwise and that it would never happen...haha. I think it was over 3 years ago, that I said Honda will never go RWD, they will go AWD and I have been waiting until now, so trust me I love SH-AWD more than many.

I'm still waiting for Honda to develop a new transmission, they can stick to regular automatics forever. They need something like DSG or SMG trasmissions. I know that when honda does come out with a new transmission it will be better than any other out there.

I guess we would have to seat and wait.
Old 07-04-2005, 03:12 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
The RL needs some major additions/changes if they want to sell closer to MSRP.

If they pack all these LITTLE goodies onto it, like backup cam, adaptive cruise, and cooled seats (which I think are ALREADY offered in Canada), then the $50k MSRP would still be very competitive to the competitioin. They are already losing up to $5k on the deals I've been hearing. I doubt it would cost them that much to add these things.
Old 07-04-2005, 04:15 AM
Instructor

if they give the americans too much, what do they give the Canadians to justify the lack of technology in their RL that they are paying a high price for?

The XM traffic was and is a huge selling point for the RL. Cooling seats and headlight washers are options they can use to differentiate the markets so each doesn't feel left out or cheated.

i think they should make these available as add on options. not standard. i bet our RL's are already pre-configured for cooling seats or at least pre-wired for it, and more than likely for camera option as well.
We just need the parts.
Old 07-04-2005, 11:45 AM
office monkey

Ventilated seats and backup camera are nice....but add to the list of more things to break. I'm quite happy with the way the RL is equipped, as I do not appreciate the aspect of having a draft blowing up my rear side (ventilated seats deletes the heat seating coils)
Have you ever used ventilated seats? They are nice bro and having the seat cool down is IMO are waaaaay better than the seat heating since the ass/back of people doesnt naturally cool down whereas it gets warm in the same position over a period of time (ie driving) and well, you can use the cooling function year round but heat is only good for the winter.

Oh and the heat coils still are there with the ventilated seats...my RL seats gets damn hot when in the heat mode....possibly even hotter than the U.S. heated seat since the version we have has 3 different heat settings.
Old 07-04-2005, 11:50 AM
office monkey

if they give the americans too much, what do they give the Canadians to justify the lack of technology in their RL that they are paying a high price for?

The XM traffic was and is a huge selling point for the RL. Cooling seats and headlight washers are options they can use to differentiate the markets so each doesn't feel left out or cheated.

i think they should make these available as add on options. not standard. i bet our RL's are already pre-configured for cooling seats or at least pre-wired for it, and more than likely for camera option as well.
We just need the parts.
I think the 06 RL will be cheaper here than the 05 was simply because they have no way to truly justify the RL price now. Before they could get by saying the RL was priced less than all direct competitors (which it was at the time) and could say they priced the RL when the cdn dollar wasn't doing so well (I bet they decided on the RL price in spring/summer of 2004 and it wasnt until the fall when the CDN dollar improved/U.S. dollar started to really decline) compared to the U.S....now it is doing well and the new Infiniti M is here at a lower cost so really, Acura has no way to justify the price.

I think the 06 RL here in Canada will either have more stuff at the same price or will be priced at say 62-65 grand...it'd be the smart play for them to do but IMO automakers dont care about being smart.
Old 07-04-2005, 12:55 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 997 Likes on 531 Posts
Unfortunately, I just don't see Acura dropping the price of the RL in Canada. They'll add a couple of electronic goodies and keep the price the same. Since RL sales in Canada only amount to about 2000 units (I'm just guessing), they can keep MSRP the same and give the dealers a little leeway to discount a few thousand off of that. Because each dealer only gets a couple of RL's per month, they can sell them without having to knock a lot off the price (even competing with the pricing of the M35/45).