Chicago Auto Show

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2007, 05:09 PM
2012 Cadillac CTS-V Coupe

Received 95 Likes on 66 Posts
Chicago Auto Show

Went to the auto show last night. Lexus had a rather large section. THey had a dissected LS460 on display, a section where they did live demonstrations of the LS460 pasrk assist and then the rest of their cars. I must admit, I fell in love with the LF-A concept.

Acura also had a pretty large section. They had several RLs on display for people to sit in and play around. One was on an elevated platform with the MDX and RDX. Another was out on the floor with other Acura models. They were kinda beat up from all the people who must of gone through them. They also had a very large overhead screen playing a video of the NSX concept, but I was very disappointed when I didn't see the NSX concept on display. I asked one of the consultants about it and this was his response.

"Shipping it out ot Detroit (that where it debuted), in sub-zero weather, the clay concept 'broke', so you'll have to make do with the video".

There definitely wasn't as much buzz over by the Acura's as there was by Lexus. The LS460 demo, along with the LF-A and IS-F concept were pretty popular. It's a same because I think the Acura Advance Sports Car Concept would of generated a little more interest.
Old 02-18-2007, 08:55 PM
Pro

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts
Originally Posted by GoHawks
Went to the auto show last night. Lexus had a rather large section. THey had a dissected LS460 on display, a section where they did live demonstrations of the LS460 pasrk assist and then the rest of their cars. I must admit, I fell in love with the LF-A concept.

Acura also had a pretty large section. They had several RLs on display for people to sit in and play around. One was on an elevated platform with the MDX and RDX. Another was out on the floor with other Acura models. They were kinda beat up from all the people who must of gone through them. They also had a very large overhead screen playing a video of the NSX concept, but I was very disappointed when I didn't see the NSX concept on display. I asked one of the consultants about it and this was his response.

"Shipping it out ot Detroit (that where it debuted), in sub-zero weather, the clay concept 'broke', so you'll have to make do with the video".

There definitely wasn't as much buzz over by the Acura's as there was by Lexus. The LS460 demo, along with the LF-A and IS-F concept were pretty popular. It's a same because I think the Acura Advance Sports Car Concept would of generated a little more interest.

I just got back too! The Lexus display was HUGE but essentially everybody there was there to see the self parking demo. Most comments on the doodad were pretty dismissive. The Acura area was much smaller but everyone was clambering in the MDX and RDX. I'm not an SUV guy but I must admit they are impresive indeed. What was a nice welcome, however, was the Honda area which was PACKED. Everyone wanted to sit on the S2000, ody, CRV and FIT. I also visited Hyundai, "watch out folks" the Koreans do have their duckies in order, interior design and quality are up to japanese standards and, as everyone else, have left the big 3 in the dust. Its only when you look at the mechanicals that you can tell why Honda is still at least one generation ahead in refinement and engineering, but you also have to admit that 90%+ of buyers never look under the hood or can tell the difference between hohum poorly casted suspension parts and and weewee brake components. Forget the big three they are history, if the japanese don't kill them off the Koreans surely will. I also noticed Toyotas backslidding in interior quality and design, the Koreans have them beat there too! Toyota is defnitely GMifying, big bloated lineup where everything is optional and ala carte thus leading to mediocre fit and finish. Honda had a mockup of the Accord concept. I must confess that though different, it looks better in pics than in person. There seems to be too many design elements that lead too overall poor cohesion. Specificaly when concidering the grill. While the rest of the car looks aero and fast the grill is too upright (ala Scion TC or ridgeline). I hope that the real car has a little more slope there so it fits better with the rest of the design.
I must confess that the new G is stunning. The interior is now up to par with the TL overall, the exterior is also excellent, fresh, powerfull and organicly cohesive, good job. The TL is still the best looking Honda ever made but the design is getting a little tired, I'm sure next years redesign will solve that. The M series interior looks good, fit and finish are excellent as is comfort. Definitely a wash with the RL since its a little more inviting in the rear, the RL is better up front. The RL definitely is better outside since the M rear is still as hideous as ever. Checked out the volvo s80, its not even in the same planet as the M or TL in any category. Without a doubt Ford's reign over the premier group volvo, aston, jaguar, has been very bad for their health. The same thing is true for GM and SAAB.
Overall the show was a good expirience. It was a shame that neither Ferrari nor Aston Martin decided to show up.
Old 02-18-2007, 08:58 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,613 Likes on 2,193 Posts
Too bad the Advanced Sports Car concept wasn't there.

Maybe it'll be fixed in time for the Cleveland auto show (the 5th largest in the country in terms of attendance!!!) which starts on Saturday. The Acura area at the Cleveland show is traditionally rather small. I'll be going to our local show mostly to look at the domestics, who usually bring their big-gun concepts.
Old 02-18-2007, 09:11 PM
06 RL Lakeshore Silver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have a free pass for a weekday so I am going to try to run over mid week.
Old 02-18-2007, 11:48 PM
2012 Cadillac CTS-V Coupe

Received 95 Likes on 66 Posts
Originally Posted by RL06tech
I just got back too! The Lexus display was HUGE but essentially everybody there was there to see the self parking demo. Most comments on the doodad were pretty dismissive. The Acura area was much smaller but everyone was clambering in the MDX and RDX. I'm not an SUV guy but I must admit they are impresive indeed. What was a nice welcome, however, was the Honda area which was PACKED. Everyone wanted to sit on the S2000, ody, CRV and FIT. I also visited Hyundai, "watch out folks" the Koreans do have their duckies in order, interior design and quality are up to japanese standards and, as everyone else, have left the big 3 in the dust. Its only when you look at the mechanicals that you can tell why Honda is still at least one generation ahead in refinement and engineering, but you also have to admit that 90%+ of buyers never look under the hood or can tell the difference between hohum poorly casted suspension parts and and weewee brake components. Forget the big three they are history, if the japanese don't kill them off the Koreans surely will. I also noticed Toyotas backslidding in interior quality and design, the Koreans have them beat there too! Toyota is defnitely GMifying, big bloated lineup where everything is optional and ala carte thus leading to mediocre fit and finish. Honda had a mockup of the Accord concept. I must confess that though different, it looks better in pics than in person. There seems to be too many design elements that lead too overall poor cohesion. Specificaly when concidering the grill. While the rest of the car looks aero and fast the grill is too upright (ala Scion TC or ridgeline). I hope that the real car has a little more slope there so it fits better with the rest of the design.
I must confess that the new G is stunning. The interior is now up to par with the TL overall, the exterior is also excellent, fresh, powerfull and organicly cohesive, good job. The TL is still the best looking Honda ever made but the design is getting a little tired, I'm sure next years redesign will solve that. The M series interior looks good, fit and finish are excellent as is comfort. Definitely a wash with the RL since its a little more inviting in the rear, the RL is better up front. The RL definitely is better outside since the M rear is still as hideous as ever. Checked out the volvo s80, its not even in the same planet as the M or TL in any category. Without a doubt Ford's reign over the premier group volvo, aston, jaguar, has been very bad for their health. The same thing is true for GM and SAAB.
Overall the show was a good expirience. It was a shame that neither Ferrari nor Aston Martin decided to show up.
I agree on the G. I might have seriously considered it if it was out when I bought the RL.

As for the Infiniti interior layout, more specifically the multi-function knob, I like the RL's setup. Seems much more comfortable since you can use it without lifting your arm off of the armrest. With the G and M, you have to almost reach for it. Maybe because I'm just used to it.
Old 02-19-2007, 12:10 AM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts