car cover tips

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2009, 04:01 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question car cover tips

So I was excited to get my slightly used OEM car cover a few weeks ago. I washed the car, dried it real well, then ran some errands in the nice warm day. Got home, then put the cover on...

The next morning, I pulled the cover off to go to work. There was some condensation over the afternoon/night, and it smeared water over the car as I removed the cover.

My question to you car covering types -- was it the fact that I had washed my car that day, or did I not let the engine cool off enough before covering that created the moisture problem? Or was it both?

Today I washed/dried it followed by a cover -- no driving (i.e. no hot engine). We'll see how it unfolds tomorrow.

Any other car cover tips out there?
Old 09-28-2009, 06:53 PM
2020 Acura RLX Advance

Received 179 Likes on 100 Posts
I keep my RL garaged, but do have a relatively high-end cover ("Quick Silver") to use when vacationing in Florida when my RL sits outside there. I also have a Noah Evolution (3 or 4? much heavier cover) for my Cadillac which occasionally sits outside.

Both of these covers breath as any good cover must. It is normal on most nights to have condensation build-up on the vehicle. During the day the cover will "wick away" the moisture, except of course on extremely humid or wet weather days.

I primarily use the covers for UV protection and tree sap protection.

The new Quick Silver cover has the advantage of being very lightweight, easy to fold and store, but a bit tricky to install on a windy day. Once installed the Quick Silver's elastic bands do a great job keeping the cover secured to the RL.

Ed
Old 09-28-2009, 11:11 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ed,
Thanks -- there was much less condensation on the car this morning, but enough to smudge the windows. The acura cover is pretty snug. I guess I'll just have to have a microfiber ready to wipe it down in the morning.

We have tree sap from the trees around my house. Just moved in. Neighbors say it's seasonal, so it should be clearing up soon. I'm renting a near ideal house now (garage being the exception). So a garage is high on the list for our next place.