cant turn the ignition / key

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2010, 01:09 PM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
cant turn the ignition / key

I have a 2005 RL

I've seen this happen when the battery is low, very annoying that I can't turn the key to try to start the car in those circumstances, however I went out this morning to go to work and the thing wouldn't turn and the battery seems fine this time. Headlights work, etc. I've tried jiggling the "key replacement thingy" and moving the steering wheel while jiggling, but it only turns a little bit, the steering wheel moves down, HELLO message lights up, but I then have to let go of the key as it wont turn further, steering wheel goes back up, etc.

Is there some way to force the key to turn when it doesn't want to? I tried searching here for "ignition" "key wont turn" "wont turn" and googling as well, but haven't been able to find anyone else with this issue. Any help is appreciated. Thanks.
Old 02-05-2010, 02:27 PM
Safety Car

Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts
Try the physical key in the fob and see what happens.

Look in the owners manual to see how to reveal the key opening.
Old 02-05-2010, 03:41 PM
Torch & Pitchfork Posse

Received 1,806 Likes on 793 Posts
Assuming:

1) Fob batteries are good...
2) Car battery is not failing...
3) Fob is properly linked...

...then, there may be a Fob transmitter recognition issue. Is your Fob alongside an electronic device such as a cell phone, charger or in a messenger bag with a laptop? These devices can, and have been reported as interfering with the Fob transmitting to the RL, though rare.

The Fob CHANGE BATTERY or Keyless warning lights usually only appear when they battery has failed or the RL cannot sense the Fob at all. But an intermittent or signal interference between the Fob and RL will not produce warning lights and may create symptoms as you describe.

It is in the manual.
Old 02-05-2010, 03:48 PM
Cruisin'

hmmm, my fob is often in my pocket with my cell phone. i will look at that. i just changed the batteries last month.
Old 02-05-2010, 11:34 PM
Cruisin'

heh...... well....... um.... total embarrassment. I *THOUGHT* that when i walked away from my car with the fob, the doors locked automatically once i got out of range. therefore, i also thought as i approach the car, the doors unlocked. so this morning, when my doors were unlocked, i didn't give a second thought to whether or not i even HAD A FOB WITH ME!!!!!!!!

it was colder out than usual this morning, so I wore a heavier jacket. my fob was in my lighter jacket. so.... i learned that a) im an idiot (ok i was reminded ) and b) my doors do NOT lock when i walk away. for months i've apparently been leaving my car unlocked.

i also leave it running all the time when i go into a store assuming it locks and that even if someone wanted to take it, without the fob, it wouldn't let them go anywhere. i guess i should stop assuming things and learn how stuff really works .