Buffing out scratches?

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2005, 09:55 AM
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
Buffing out scratches?

Just took my car to be washed at a very expensive
car wash that has the automated brushes and so forth.

Figured it was safe for my car. After all, I see nothing
but Mercedes and BMW vehicles going through there.
This is one of the area's most upscale wash facilities
where for $12 you get a wash and a guys who towel
dry your vehicle and clean the inside.

After the wash, I inspected my new RL. Noticed a few
minor scratches in the paint. They aren't deep, and one
really needs to look to notice them.

Now, I am uncertain if they were there before or not.
When I bough the car nearly two weeks ago, I didn't
notice any scratches but then again I'v been looking at
my vehicle more closely these days than I have been.

In any event....

Can scratches be buffed out? If so, what do you use and
what is the procedure?

I take it that HOPEFULLY, with the right tools, I can totally
erase those scratches?

Thank You everyone for your assistance.
Old 07-16-2005, 10:07 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I am by far no expert on this topic; however, a lot of people over at the 3G TL forums have used scratch-x or other products similar to it. I had much success with scratch-x on my TL. I would go search over at the TL forums for information on this - and wait for people here also before making a final decision.
Old 07-16-2005, 11:16 AM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If you can't "feel" the scratches then its a good possiblitiy for them to be removed. There are many good products out there but one that seems to get lot of recognotion for the quality is Zaino. They make some of the best waxes, scratch removal products etc. You will see a shine you never thought possible. Sounds like a commercial huh
Seriously though, it is some of the best stuff. I think the website is www.zainobros.com

Regardless of the price of a car wash, I would never bring it to a place that has automated brushes like that. You are just looking for trouble. Always look for 100% hand car washes or ask the attendant if thet can do that. It might be a bit more but its worth it in the long run.
Old 07-16-2005, 12:11 PM
Instructor

CK37,

Thanks for the advice.

I have a silver RL, and unfortunately, the scratch filler that
Zainobros recommends states that their product is for "black,
dark blue, red or green" vehicles.
Old 07-16-2005, 10:49 PM
office monkey

Are they actual scratches in the paint or just scratches in the clearcoat?
Old 07-17-2005, 02:57 AM
Instructor

Rob,

Good question.

Not sure how to tell.

The scratches aren't deep - look more like surface scratches
possibly caused by the car wash bristles.
Old 07-17-2005, 09:23 AM
Instructor

My 2 cents,
If you can live with them, do so until you are sure how you want to go about removing them.

It does sound like they are clearcoat scratches, and they can be removed.
Problem is, they must be properly removed. Many ignorant detailers will put a machine buff wheel to it using a 3M compound for the job. Problem is that this is done incorrectly most of the time, needing swirl remover compound applied over that. A few washes later, the swirl remover compound washes out, & those swirls emerge. You then can see the area that was machined buffed, especially on darker paint.

Never, ever, ever never forever allow anyone to put a wheel to your clearcoat finish!
The swirl marks they produce can be "covered up" as I described above, exposing a ruined clearcoat finish a few washes later!

That said, just keep in mind that an improper procedure can be far more damaging than the initial problem you were looking to cure, (a few scratches).
Thus taking us back to paragraph #1 above.
Steve C.
Old 07-17-2005, 11:11 AM
Instructor

Steve,

I'll take your advice and leave it alone.

Thank You
Old 07-17-2005, 03:49 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Steve C
My 2 cents,
If you can live with them, do so until you are sure how you want to go about removing them.

It does sound like they are clearcoat scratches, and they can be removed.
Problem is, they must be properly removed. Many ignorant detailers will put a machine buff wheel to it using a 3M compound for the job. Problem is that this is done incorrectly most of the time, needing swirl remover compound applied over that. A few washes later, the swirl remover compound washes out, & those swirls emerge. You then can see the area that was machined buffed, especially on darker paint.

Never, ever, ever never forever allow anyone to put a wheel to your clearcoat finish!
The swirl marks they produce can be "covered up" as I described above, exposing a ruined clearcoat finish a few washes later!

That said, just keep in mind that an improper procedure can be far more damaging than the initial problem you were looking to cure, (a few scratches).
Thus taking us back to paragraph #1 above.
Steve C.
could not agree with steve c more! the paint process on the rl is intense, and i doubt any shop could come close with out spending a small fortune.

try several coats of high quality wax (zaino or zymol). they also have products for blemishes in clearcoat - check their websites - i would live with it.

btw, the only times i go to auto washes are for thge underbody wash - no way is my rl going near one of those places. i will probably figure out how to flush the underside at home.......

good luck!!!!!
Old 07-17-2005, 03:58 PM
Advanced

I've had great luck with Mother's California Gold Scratch Remover. It may not remove the scratches completely, but it will make them virtually invisible.

Also, NuFinish just came out with a scratch remover that's supposed to be great, though I haven't tried it. I used to use their liquid polish back in the day when it was rated #1 (in the early 1990's), and it was decent (nothing like Zymol or Zaino, though).

Zaino now has Z-PC, which is also supposed to be good. It just came out recently, so I'm not sure if anyone on this site has used it yet.
Old 07-17-2005, 07:39 PM
office monkey

My two cents...

if they are just clearcoat and arent super obvious then I say dont worry about them. My RL has super minor clearcoat scratches from washing it which I do by hand...I dont think there is a car in the world that has clearcoating and is scratch free.
Old 07-18-2005, 11:45 AM
Advanced

Scratch advice

If you can look up Zaino Brothers, in Believe, Howell, NJ, they can sell you their products and for what they do, they are probably the best I have ever used. They have a new product Z-PC Fusion Dual Action Paint Cleaner Swirl Remover, that will safely remove all those scratches out of your clearcoat without harming your clearcoat. You can use it by hand or to make it easier use a Porter Cable Random Orbital buffer on it with Lake Country foam pads of the appropriate color, and then finish up with Zaino Z-2 Pro Polish, and you will be able to read the flourescent light bulb writing in your hood! Its that good. Your scratches will be gone and you will have awesome protection for several months, versus carnauba protection which may shine about as good, but only last a few weeks to months.. Ive tried about everything, and have now settled on Zaino, just put over 900 miles on my newTL, came back and washed off about a million bugs, etc., and the Zaino'd finish looks as great as the day I did it. Call their Tech Support for questions -- 732 833 8800. Good people, good people.. DanF