Anyone tried ONSTAR yet?

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2005 | 10:40 AM
Pro

Smile Anyone tried ONSTAR yet?

Yesterday my wife called me from the car using ONSTAR and it she said it sounded very clear in the car. I could not hear any noise in the background while she was driving for the most part.
I was wondering if anyone had began to fool around with it. We were using up the free 30 minutes included in the ONSTAR (They will expire 2 months after the system is activated). I aslo received a brochure at home 2 days ago to welcoming
us to the service and sent us the cards. I discovered the system uses Verizon Wireless when I looked at ONSTAR online. We use Verizon for our cellular provider and ONSTAR and Verizon are offering a plan to combine your cellular minutes to use both.

Can you access ONSTAR feature usng the handsfree link? I would like to be able to obtain caller ID before I answer.

Since the only bluetooth phone offered by Verizon is the V710, I was looking ONSTAR as an option for handsfree.

Now I have to call and find out if I can combine my existing bill and generate minutes from the same plan by adding this number to my plan.
Old 02-16-2005 | 09:15 PM
Instructor

I've made one phone call on my 30 minutes which will expire in about 10 days. Called my father on his birthday to wish him well and he said the sound quality was just fine.

I got a kick out of the fact that the 30 minutes are only good for 60 days but they ship you your number and other Onstar information 4-6 weeks after activiation. Now there's a great system.

I'll just keep using my existing cell phone until I can upgrade to a blue-tooth compatible model this summer.
Old 02-17-2005 | 08:11 AM
Advanced

I played around with OnStar in my RL when I first got it back in December. FWIW, my girlfriend said that the audio quality sounded better than the HFL system via my SE 610. Unfortunately, the HFL and OnStar systems are separate, so there is no display for the OnStar system.

Regarding the Verizon/OnStar account combination, when I asked about it, I was told by an OnStar rep that it was only available for GM cars. I'm not sure why, but if you find out differently, please let me know. Since our RL has the digital/analog OnStar modules vs. analog only, I would think we would qualify for the package deal...
Old 02-17-2005 | 10:10 AM
Pro

I called ONSTAR to inquire about the ONSTAR/Verizon deal and the rep said that the Acura would be eligible very soon. They are amending the cars on this list to accomodate those with the Digital/Analog systems. It just doesn't make since that he would not let me do this now. Go figure!
Old 02-19-2005 | 04:46 AM
Advanced

Is AcuraLink really OnStar with a different name or is AcuraLink a different service?
Old 02-20-2005 | 12:23 PM
Racer

I activated my On Star yesterday. They had a deal where you could get 100 additional minutes, good for one year, for $19.95. It is regular $39.99 and you can only get the lower rate if you add it during initial registration.

I tried the OnStar phone and it did seem clearer than the HFL. I have not checked on the Verizon deal. I currently have my service with Verizon and it might be a good deal.
Old 02-27-2005 | 10:46 PM
Pro

Wonder if a valet can use up the On Star minutes.
Old 02-28-2005 | 09:08 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by catsailr
I activated my On Star yesterday. They had a deal where you could get 100 additional minutes, good for one year, for $19.95. It is regular $39.99 and you can only get the lower rate if you add it during initial registration.
The brochure I just received in the mail has that same offer (which I declined during registration), so it sounds like it's marketing BS to try to make people sign up when they first register.
Old 02-28-2005 | 09:25 AM
Pro

I dont know Karl, I may opt to purchase the ONSTAR/Verizon plan. However, I do find many of the services ONSTAR offers are redundant to Acura's TLC that's included. Towing and ect... but the dual phone capability can be very useful since we would be using the minutes from the same plan but having 2 phones available. I did call and they told me that I could not get it yet. Acura would be available but it was not just yet.

Karl, did they offer it to you on the phone or you just saw the offer in the brochure?
Old 02-28-2005 | 10:24 AM
Cajun Gumbo Man

Thumbs up

I have OnStar in my 04 RL and 05 MDX and it is GREAT ! I believe it is Analog, that is why IT WORKS ! Clear and anywhere ! I rarely use my cell !
Old 02-28-2005 | 10:58 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by Fabvsix
I have OnStar in my 04 RL and 05 MDX and it is GREAT ! I believe it is Analog, that is why IT WORKS ! Clear and anywhere ! I rarely use my cell !
Fabsix,

Do you have a plan for ONSTAR with verizon or you just load up with prepay minutes? The ONSTAR is much clearer than the HFL in my experience so far. I hope that the HFL/Bluetooth with be much closer in sound comparison in the near future.
Old 02-28-2005 | 11:05 AM
Cajun Gumbo Man

When I purchased these Acura's it came with a one year subscription. Then you call them (On-Star) by pushing the blue star button and tell them how many months of phone service you want. I just do 3 at a time. Works for me ! I've been able to call out anywhere in the US where normally I had NO cell phone reception ! Its just a great system !
Let me know if you have anymore questions !
Old 02-28-2005 | 11:29 AM
Cajun Gumbo Man

Hou-RL:
My parents live in new iberia Louisiana. I call them from California, they are old and they can't tell I'm on a car phone (On-Star)........
Old 02-28-2005 | 12:10 PM
Pro

Yeah, I know the ONSTAR is much clearer than my bluetooth so far. That's why I want the ONSTAR/Verizon plan to combine my phone and ONSTAR using the minutes from my plan. You have the prepay plan but the combo would be much cheaper for me.
Old 02-28-2005 | 12:48 PM
Advanced

Angry

Originally Posted by Hou-RL
Fabsix,

Do you have a plan for ONSTAR with verizon or you just load up with prepay minutes? The ONSTAR is much clearer than the HFL in my experience so far. I hope that the HFL/Bluetooth with be much closer in sound comparison in the near future.
Verizon is actually the carrier used by OnStar. That is according to OnStar. For several business reasons I have found it necessary -- albeit not happily -- to use Verizon as my carrier since Bell Atlantic became Verizon. So when I signed up with OnStar, this was the first question I asked, hoping OnStar would provide me with an alternative to Big V. No such luck. So when you use your prepaid OS minutes, you're using them on V whether you like it or not. Nothing basically wrong with that, their network probably is the best with the broadest coverage. It's just that they insist on being such a massive rectal nuisance...
Old 02-28-2005 | 01:51 PM
Instructor

Actually it looks like a decent set up, unless I am missing something. The Verizon/OnStar plan for my area, for examples offers 2 lines (a Verizon phone and the OnStar) plan minutes, free inCalling, unlimited nights and weekends, etc. A plan for 1000 minutes would cost $79.00; Of course this does not incoude any data plans, etc.
Old 02-28-2005 | 01:55 PM
Pro

Exactly,
Just wanted to use my minutes from my plan. I would have to change the number in the car but not my handset. I dont care about the number in the car since I dont reall plan on giving it out much anyway. That's why I want the bluetooth to peform as good as the ONSTAR. The cost would be $10 more per month to have 2 phones using my same plan. I think it a grat option for me. Beside, Verzon has the best analog service in the country and they have completely did away with roaming on this plan. That means that if I am anywhere and there is roaming, I dont have to pay for it.
Old 03-01-2005 | 08:45 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by Hou-RL
I dont know Karl, I may opt to purchase the ONSTAR/Verizon plan. However, I do find many of the services ONSTAR offers are redundant to Acura's TLC that's included. Towing and ect... but the dual phone capability can be very useful since we would be using the minutes from the same plan but having 2 phones available. I did call and they told me that I could not get it yet. Acura would be available but it was not just yet.

Karl, did they offer it to you on the phone or you just saw the offer in the brochure?
Both. I may not have been as clear as I should have been. When I was "online" via the On-Star service to complete the first-time registration I was offered the one year deal and declined. Then when I received the post-registration acknowledgement and brochure in the mail last week the same offer was still available. As you note there is a great deal of overlap in the services available from Onstar and Acura TLC (I doubt I'll ever need the remote unlock service ). However I do agree about the value of having a 2nd phone available and will probably go ahead and purchase the 100 minutes for $19.99. You never know when you might lose a phone or have it go belly up or whatnot.

My original point was that the message that "buy it now, it's your only chance" appears to be a marketing ploy as, based upon my experience, it's simply not true.
Old 03-01-2005 | 09:45 AM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by Karl_in_Chicago

My original point was that the message that "buy it now, it's your only chance" appears to be a marketing ploy as, based upon my experience, it's simply not true.
I called On-Star from the car to confirm activation and get my number. The rep told me that I'd be getting the special offer 100 minutes for $19.99 in the mail soon, he didn't try to sell me anything or press me to buy it now. Very helpful, polite, informative guy. This is my first experience with On-Star and I was just impressed with it, listening to the rep sort of walking me through lots of things about it. I probably won't use much of this service, but I am thinking to get the $19.99 deal, as Karl said, it might be useful to have backup should something happens.
Old 03-10-2005 | 08:59 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by kenny5
Wonder if a valet can use up the On Star minutes.
There is a security lockout. When using OnStar, say "Security" then the system will ask you for a 4 digit code (use anything you want). The OnStar system is then locked.

I do this whenever I bring my TL-S in for service.
Old 03-15-2005 | 03:56 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by scottj
I got a kick out of the fact that the 30 minutes are only good for 60 days but they ship you your number and other Onstar information 4-6 weeks after activiation. Now there's a great system.
Check the OnStar manual. There's a voice command to recite the OnStar phone's number. Mine was programmed into the system within 24 hours of delivery (where I went through the OnStar account setup). Or you can use the OnStar phone to call another phone that displays Caller ID. I presume the number will be delivered (but I haven't tried it).

If you call OnStar and give them the phone number you provided during account activation, they can also look up your account number (and presumably your OnStar phone number). I did so to test the "car locator" feature, flashing my running lights while standing next to it in my driveway. They can honk the horn, as well.