Any BMW Converts???

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2006, 05:01 PM
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Any BMW Converts???

Hi, I'm considering an Acura but have been looking at the BMW too. Are there any BMW converts who switched to the RL because of poor quality and reliability with their BMW? I've been reading that BMW quality and reliability is nothing to write home about. Because you get so much more for your money I'm leaning towards the Acura.
Old 12-07-2006, 07:27 PM
Moto Enthusiast

In addition to the 2005 RL that I'm leasing, I also own a 2004 330ci and it's had some minor problems. One of the rear white backup lights went out. I also had a plastic panel of the underbody simply fall off. Other than that, the car runs great and I haven't had any other mechanical problems (knock on wood). Anyhow, all that stuff was covered under warranty so it was nothing to sweat about.

The RL hasn't been problem free either. I've had some problems with the Adaptive lights as well as some rattling inside.

My next car will probably be another BMW. Even though the Acura is optioned really nicely, the BMW is just more fun to drive.
Old 12-07-2006, 07:47 PM
'02 NBP TL-S

my mom has a 7 series and she loves it.....

just my
Old 12-07-2006, 08:03 PM
Racer

Received 41 Likes on 29 Posts
I've owned 2 BMWs ( 3 series and 5 series ) and I probably will not go back to BMW as long as the major Jap auto makers keep doing a good job. While I admit nothing drives better than a BMW, the current model RL with SH AWD comes pretty close. And there is a lot less heart ache involved in owning a Honda product than a BMW product. This RL is my 3rd Honda made car ( owned two Preludes in the past) and I had minimal if any service and maintenance related issues. The BMW's were always in the shop for something or other and I have had to call tow trucks multiple times. I also had to change the ECU on both BMW's and one of them was not under guarantee. Ouch !

Stay with Honda. Unless you've got lots of time to spend in the dealer's service department.
Old 12-07-2006, 09:39 PM
Instructor

Thumbs up another BMW convert

I too owned a ('98) bmw 528i. Before that I owned a '89 acura legend coupe. I loved the legend, but bought the bmw when it was time for a new car as the bmw was among the first to have side head protection airbags. I loved how the BMW drove but I hated the high maintenance costs and the numerous things going wrong after the 4 year warranty expired. The bmw dealers always treated me as if they were doing me a favor to service the car. I decided on an '06 RL with tech pack rather than another BMW because of the superior safety technology of the acura. I did compare it with an '06 530i with sport package: the RL drove almost as well and was much cheaper to purchase. So far I've had no trouble and the service at acura (pleasanton california) has been clearly superior to what I have received at three different BMW dealerships in the bay area.
Old 12-08-2006, 09:19 PM
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts
I traded in an 04 330i with performance package for my 06 RL. The 330 was definitely a better handling car, but the RL is much more luxurious and roomy. I had ignitor problems with the 330 at 8k miles which almost left me stranded. It was fixed under warranty but I was left without a car for 3 days! I've never had that happen after owning Honda/Acura products for the last 20 years.
Old 12-09-2006, 02:36 PM
Cruisin'

I traded in an 02 330Xi for my 06 RL.
Never had any problem with the 330. Nor any problems with other BMWs I've owned.

I was looking to get a new generation 3 series but for the same price I got
the bigger feature filled RL. I miss the road feel of the 330 but I'm also liking the
RL.

Plus I've still got my 540 6 speed and my wife has an M Coupe.
Old 12-09-2006, 08:35 PM
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
BMW vs ACURA

My father inlaw is a BMW person. the last one is 2005 700 series. It takes to two people to drive one to steer and the other to work the mouse. very complicated. When he takes it in for repairs they need to keep it because they only have one computer to read all the BMW's. Here are a couple great things. The car has paddle shift up, but not down. In Seattle he has a disc in his Navigation system. When he comes to California he has to change disc. It cost him another $250 for that disc. I wonder how many discs to complete the USA.
Old 12-09-2006, 08:55 PM
Bobz

Own BMW and TL

Originally Posted by johnhayd
I too owned a ('98) bmw 528i. Before that I owned a '89 acura legend coupe. I loved the legend, but bought the bmw when it was time for a new car as the bmw was among the first to have side head protection airbags. I loved how the BMW drove but I hated the high maintenance costs and the numerous things going wrong after the 4 year warranty expired. The bmw dealers always treated me as if they were doing me a favor to service the car. I decided on an '06 RL with tech pack rather than another BMW because of the superior safety technology of the acura. I did compare it with an '06 530i with sport package: the RL drove almost as well and was much cheaper to purchase. So far I've had no trouble and the service at acura (pleasanton california) has been clearly superior to what I have received at three different BMW dealerships in the bay area.
I agree with your points. I have a 95 540i and an 04 TL and the Beemer rides much nicer, and still has a great leather smell after 11 years. But the maintenance has been high even with the extended warranty I had. BMW dealers are an arrogant bunch to be sure; I think it's because they cater to a yuppie crowd. Since my wife doesn't like the TL, I was thinking of upgrading to an RL to get a smoother ride. One thing I don't want is another car with the harsh ride over rough surfaces like the TL has. BMW for all it's faults has solved that problem. I love the reliability of my TL though; not one single problem since purchase other than dash fade.
Old 12-10-2006, 12:00 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 66 Likes on 45 Posts
I personally think the RL has a smoother ride than the TL, especially once the car is broken in. However, please bear in mind that I have not driven the 2007 TL yet, I have only driven the 2004 and the 2006, and they were definitely louder and rougher than the RL.
Old 12-10-2006, 04:43 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by backfire
My father inlaw is a BMW person. the last one is 2005 700 series. It takes to two people to drive one to steer and the other to work the mouse. very complicated. When he takes it in for repairs they need to keep it because they only have one computer to read all the BMW's. Here are a couple great things. The car has paddle shift up, but not down. In Seattle he has a disc in his Navigation system. When he comes to California he has to change disc. It cost him another $250 for that disc. I wonder how many discs to complete the USA.
The 05 7 series has a DVD drive for the nav system.
There's a single DVD for all of North America.
He should have gotten the DVD when he bought the car.

If he's using multiple discs, he's using the CDs of which there are 7 or 8 for North America.

You can buy the whole set of CDs or the DVD from navteq for $200.
Old 12-20-2006, 06:52 PM
10th Gear

I had 3 BMW's prior to my '06 RL- a '96 Z3, a '99 528i, and an '03 530i. My partner actually leased an RL, and for two weeks, I coveted the Acura. I sold the 530i and now we both have RL's.

What I disliked about my last BMW relative to the RL:
1. adding oil every 1,000 miles (dealer said- within normal spec)
2. BMW service. Highest price - AND- most likely to return for the same problem again and again.
3. Rattles (like the sunroof over my head) that couldn't be fixed (see 2 above)
4. an awkard accelerator foot position
5. very so so sound system
6. the new models are ugly- and will be for years. I really don't like any of the new BMW's (except, perhaps, the 6).
7. again on new models- I'm a techie kind of guy- but iDrive is a bad user interface.

What I really liked about the RL
1. awesome bang per buck on the initial purchase (or lease)
2. QUIET, exceptional sound system (esp, DVD-A), and XM (not Howard Stern's Sirius)
3. no rattles
4. excellent fit/finish. Notice how very little effort it takes to close a door or the trunk.
5. keyless entry. I LOVE this!
6. exceptional technology all around
7. cheap service-- PLUS- not one thing has gone wrong with my car in 9 months. NOT ONE.
8. I can SEE OUT THE BACK WINDOW because huge head restraints don't block my view
9. a simple, intuitive control wheel and controls in general
10. real time traffic and an excellent NAV system. Couldn't live without it now.
11. of course- the way it drives, sounds, accelerates.

Only thing I miss is is something I shouldn't care about anyway. Valets and others notice BMW's, but not RL's. Oh well. Frankly, I may have moved my auto preferences from Germany to Japan. John
Old 12-20-2006, 07:37 PM
friend of fast

i drove my parents m roadster for the summer...it was a 2001. there was a gas leak that couldn't be found and the interior would randomly fill with fumes, thank god for the convertible top. everything felt like it was gonna fall off...cheapie interior feel. check engine light would come on because the gas cap was always "loose"...and it wouldn't start if it was too cold or too damp outside. plus the crayon smell of used bmw leather drove me crazy. the performance was there though, and it was fun to be seen in it...yet i've had the 01 cl for 4 years now, 115K miles, not a single thing wrong. not even a light or a switch...bravo acura.
Old 12-29-2006, 10:22 AM
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I had 3 back-to-back BMWs before my RL (about 10 years worth of BMWs, 1 x 325i, and 2 x 330i). I no longer have them. I simply got tired of seeing snotty 20 y/o kids zipping by me. I can safely say I am the only one in town with an RL.