Annoying brake problems

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2007 | 08:20 AM
bkw
Death to Dave Marek.

Annoying brake problems

Hey all,

Back in November, our RL began shuddering while braking which progressively became worse. In December our appointment finally rolled around and we had the pads (75% life left on them) and rotors replaced. Also had the wintersport M3's mounted too. Brought in my torque wrench to ensure that everything was spec'd to 80ft/lbs. Spent two weeks braking the pads and rotors in properly and taught my wife the finer points of braking techniques. She even would go over the deep end and would flip the car into neutral and let go of the brakes after coming to a hot stop.

Fast forward to early this month. The vibration had come back and thus we made another appointment with Acura this past Saturday. They stated that the rotors were warped (again!) and the drivers side interior pad needed replacement. Unbelievable! They took pity on us and replaced 1 rotor for free, but charged us for labor and the pads. I've contacted Acura NA to see if I can get reimbursed for this due to the short time span that had passed to no avail.

Has anyone else had to have their rotors replaced?
Old 03-13-2007 | 08:29 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by bkw
Hey all,

Back in November, our RL began shuddering while braking which progressively became worse. In December our appointment finally rolled around and we had the pads (75% life left on them) and rotors replaced. Also had the wintersport M3's mounted too. Brought in my torque wrench to ensure that everything was spec'd to 80ft/lbs. Spent two weeks braking the pads and rotors in properly and taught my wife the finer points of braking techniques. She even would go over the deep end and would flip the car into neutral and let go of the brakes after coming to a hot stop.

Fast forward to early this month. The vibration had come back and thus we made another appointment with Acura this past Saturday. They stated that the rotors were warped (again!) and the drivers side interior pad needed replacement. Unbelievable! They took pity on us and replaced 1 rotor for free, but charged us for labor and the pads. I've contacted Acura NA to see if I can get reimbursed for this due to the short time span that had passed to no avail.

Has anyone else had to have their rotors replaced?
Yes, but I do abuse my brakes. And that was after 20K miles.
One thing that did accelerate the demise of my brake rotors was the incident where at a car wash my brakes were hosed with cold water while they were still very hot. that seemed to be the catalyst when they started to degrade.
Old 03-13-2007 | 08:48 AM
Senior Moderator

I also need to bring my car in, I have the dreaded squeaking evertime I reverse....
Old 03-13-2007 | 08:50 AM
Pro

Do not use your brakes at high levels right before you park the car, let them cool down while driving the last few miles.
When you park a car with hot brakes or wash them, (fast cooling) they will warp.
When the car is parked the pads are almost touching part of the rotors and that area of the rotor will cool at a different level compared to the area where the pads are not, thus warping ANY rotor if it was hot enough.
Old 03-13-2007 | 09:31 AM
bkw
Death to Dave Marek.

This is my wife's car and she's a pretty slow driver. When one of our snow tires went off balance, she had no idea because she rarely went over 70mph.

I have zero idea as to why the rotor warped again so quickly. But if I were to guess, I'd say that the installer had secured the rotor incorrectly, or something had happened when they replaced my pads for the brake squeal fix back in early 06.

Was finally able to get in contact with the service manager today and discussed our situation. He's going to refund all the costs associated with this and also throw in a free oil change (too bad I change the oil myself!).
Old 03-13-2007 | 10:41 AM
Pro

Sounds more than fair, great service from Acura.

I am not sure how they could be installed improperly, VERY hard to do, guy would have to be a moron.
Try to have NSX certified techs work on your car, request them.
Old 03-13-2007 | 10:43 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by bkw
This is my wife's car and she's a pretty slow driver. When one of our snow tires went off balance, she had no idea because she rarely went over 70mph.

I have zero idea as to why the rotor warped again so quickly. But if I were to guess, I'd say that the installer had secured the rotor incorrectly, or something had happened when they replaced my pads for the brake squeal fix back in early 06.

Was finally able to get in contact with the service manager today and discussed our situation. He's going to refund all the costs associated with this and also throw in a free oil change (too bad I change the oil myself!).

Just a thought, make sure she never rides the brake pedal, that would super heat them. I am sure she does not do it but you could check on it.