alternator going out

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2012, 11:09 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
alternator going out

So as the title says my alternator went out or is close. while i was dropping off my fiance at her job, all these check charging system, check sh-awd, check power steering, check DRL, etc. so prior days before there was a winding noise and i took the car to dealer, they told me it was near the timing belt and tensoner and i should get the service done, i have 102k miles. and i have babied this car. many stories i heard on here said they haven't changed it till 120k miles. so i was like hmm i dont think so. well i picked up the car and was driving it and still winding noise. 2 days later winding noise became really loud and i was like this ain't right. so i called my dealer and they told me to schedule to do the timing and it will go away; i was like not yet i don't think its that sounds like battery or alternator fail. because my nav screen was flickering like the old box tvs. and a day later which was the day i was dropping off my fiance all the stuff happened. i got scared that i was going to be stranded. which then i called my dealer and bitched at them see this isnt timing service. and they were like ohhh. so i took it to them and the did a diagnostics and found out, "Truth to be told", it was the alternator. the dealer called me apologizing saying yes you were correct and sorry but you have to replace it. and then he told me $850 total i was like WTF hell now. Likely i know someone there and so part is discount.

well besides my story, im making this post to see if anyone knows or can show me the thread on how to change the alternator from an 06 Rl because acura is charging an arm and a leg. I was charged $180 for install from my friend who works at acura don’t know if that’s a good price.
Also I wanted to know your opinion on Bosch alternator that comes with 2yr warranty.
Old 05-31-2012, 07:00 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 7,246 Likes on 4,857 Posts
I've changed the alternator on a 626 before. Pain. In. The. Ass.

(I know. "Cool story, bro.")

Anyway, the service manual should walk you through it. Taking it off and putting it back on is very straight forward. The pain in the ass is getting the old one out and new one in on some cars. Sometimes you have to remove other stuff. I don't know where it is on the RL, but sometimes going underneath is better than from the top.

The service manual is called Charging System.PDF IIRC. $180 sounds reasonable as it took us about two hours with two people.
Old 06-01-2012, 05:21 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
hey 007spy Thanks for the tips and i did it yesterday and yes it was a pain in the butt. I wanted to remove just one fan which was in front of the alternator, i actually had to remove both fans. pain in the ass. then while removing them i didn't want to remove the under-body covers but i had to which was more work and money which ain't much but had to replace all the little clips. after that it was pretty simple.

while doing that i notice i should have done the timing belt which i had no parts for but for everyone out there if you guys need alternator changed and need timing belt service do it. i did do the spark plugs which was easy not hard at all.

have to say if you guys do alone remember to take of both fans not just one. and do timing belt. it took me 2hrs to do alone.
Old 06-01-2012, 06:02 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 230 Likes on 194 Posts
Originally Posted by oo7spy
I've changed the alternator on a 626 before. Pain. In. The. Ass.

(I know. "Cool story, bro.")

Anyway, the service manual should walk you through it. Taking it off and putting it back on is very straight forward. The pain in the ass is getting the old one out and new one in on some cars. Sometimes you have to remove other stuff. I don't know where it is on the RL, but sometimes going underneath is better than from the top.

The service manual is called Charging System.PDF IIRC. $180 sounds reasonable as it took us about two hours with two people.
I heard it's even harder on 727.