Acura Service drops the Ball

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2006, 12:03 AM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down Acura Service drops the Ball

Acura Service just plain sucks. I had an earlier post on an inactive drivers side door lock/unlock button. After several visits they changed the door handle. But the stupid dolts didn't tell my that they CHANGED THE LOCK and didn't give me a new set of keys. New lock + old keys = locked car. I know you are saying, hey dumbsh%t, press on the door handle button. Well that would work if my battery wasn't dead for the THIRD TIME. The battery goes dead when left standing for 2-3 days. I told the service manager about the earlier occurences when I left the car at the airport parking lot. That is the only time the car is left untouched for an extended period of time, it is my daily driver. Thank goodness I have a Jeep and a motorcycle as alternatives. So there I have it, dead battery so that even OnStar can't open it, and keys that don't work. I will call the Service Department tomorrow and bend their ear. If anything is learned, check everything, don't trust the service department outright. They're just human, idiots that is.
Old 05-23-2006, 12:35 AM
Instructor

Isn't the dead battery issue caused by not turning the car off all the way? Are you sure the "key" was turned to the 100% off position everytime your battery went dead?
Old 05-23-2006, 12:46 AM
Intermediate

I already knew of the key switch issue from earlier posts. The switch is fully turned off each and every time. The service manager said that I may have a dead cell from an earlier jump done at the airport parking lot, but didn't offer to change the battery unless it happened again. Go figure.
Old 05-23-2006, 06:10 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by Kickbucket1
Well that would work if my battery wasn't dead for the THIRD TIME. The battery goes dead when left standing for 2-3 days.
Are you in the range to have the XM TSB done? There was mention in that TSB of correcting a battery drain issue.
Old 05-24-2006, 01:32 AM
Intermediate

Thanks for the tip. That is what the service advisor said and that may be the problem. Now does anyone know why my key does not work in the door lock? I tried some WD40 to loosen the tumblers just in case it was frozen but that is not the case. The key fits fully in to the stops but does not turn the lock. If they changed the lock, they should have given me new keys.
Old 05-24-2006, 03:21 PM
Racer

Thanks for the tip. That is what the service advisor said and that may be the problem. Now does anyone know why my key does not work in the door lock? I tried some WD40 to loosen the tumblers just in case it was frozen but that is not the case. The key fits fully in to the stops but does not turn the lock. If they changed the lock, they should have given me new keys.
Any RL key will go all the way into the lock, just not be able to turn. It sounds like they changed it and didn't give you the new keys. Sounds pretty asinine to me. Does the key work in passenger side lock? If so then the idiots must have changed only one side and you'll have to get them to do something to make them both have the same locks or have 2 keys. I think the first thing I would do is complain to the district supervisor or whatever they're called and then run from that place and never come back. There has to be another dealership you can go to.
Old 05-25-2006, 01:51 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by stingerbtry
Any RL key will go all the way into the lock, just not be able to turn. It sounds like they changed it and didn't give you the new keys. Sounds pretty asinine to me. Does the key work in passenger side lock? If so then the idiots must have changed only one side and you'll have to get them to do something to make them both have the same locks or have 2 keys. I think the first thing I would do is complain to the district supervisor or whatever they're called and then run from that place and never come back. There has to be another dealership you can go to.
There is only one lock that uses the key, on the drivers side door. There is no key lock on the passenger door handle. Took it into another Acura service center today. Talked to a mechanic and said that the problem might be that the lock may be incorrectly reattached and the tangs may be inserted too far. The tow service really hacked up the job in getting the door to unlock. They used an air jack to pry open the door big enough to fit a long slim jim to trip the manual lock inside. Now the door is out of alignment and the weatherstripping is marred up. The black door fascia for the driver and passenger is all scratched up. Will need to be replaced. The weatherstripping will need to be changed. The wood trim on the inside door is hacked up from the repeated attempts with the slim jim. The way they did it seemed like the only way since the battery was dead and using the key on the lock didn't work. 4 recall updates will be done and Acura thinks that the damage should be covered by the towing service. I think that Acura Care should be responsible. The towing company is acting as an agent of Acura Care in providing service. The whole thing stems from a recall about battery drainage and non functioning lock on service performed by a dealership. To expedite matters though I plan on buying new fascia, weatherstripping and wood panel and the labor involved. I want to put this crap behind me asap.
Old 05-25-2006, 02:31 PM
Advanced

Sorry to hear about all these problems at once! I think those TSBs will help in your situation.

I don't have much confidence in my local Acura technicians either. Makes me a nervous wreck everytime I have to take my car in for service.

The best thing you can do is to write a letter to the GM and let him handle it with his Service dept. and management team. That kind of service should not be tollerated for a $10k car, let alone a $50K car!
Old 05-25-2006, 04:08 PM
Racer

There is only one lock that uses the key, on the drivers side door. There is no key lock on the passenger door handle.
LOL, shows you how many times I've actually used my key. Man this really sucks to hear. It's sad that a "luxury" car manufacturer would have such worthless people working in their service departments.
Old 05-26-2006, 07:39 PM
Instructor

There is only one lock that uses the key, on the drivers side door. There is no key lock on the passenger door handle. Took it into another Acura service center today. Talked to a mechanic and said that the problem might be that the lock may be incorrectly reattached and the tangs may be inserted too far. The tow service really hacked up the job in getting the door to unlock. They used an air jack to pry open the door big enough to fit a long slim jim to trip the manual lock inside. Now the door is out of alignment and the weatherstripping is marred up. The black door fascia for the driver and passenger is all scratched up. Will need to be replaced. The weatherstripping will need to be changed. The wood trim on the inside door is hacked up from the repeated attempts with the slim jim. The way they did it seemed like the only way since the battery was dead and using the key on the lock didn't work. 4 recall updates will be done and Acura thinks that the damage should be covered by the towing service. I think that Acura Care should be responsible. The towing company is acting as an agent of Acura Care in providing service. The whole thing stems from a recall about battery drainage and non functioning lock on service performed by a dealership. To expedite matters though I plan on buying new fascia, weatherstripping and wood panel and the labor involved. I want to put this crap behind me asap.
This is exactly why I don't let the Acura "techs" touch my car and why I have not done any of the TSBs. Your car will develop plenty of problems after the visit.

I remember a less than stellar review of the RL done by one of the car magazines. Most of the problems that they reported on and the main reason for the negative review were caused by the ineptitude of the "techs" doing the fixing. The original sunroof motor problem became many other things that required numerous re-visits to the dealer. These guys are getting their "on the job training" on our cars.
Old 05-26-2006, 08:18 PM
Intermediate

Thumbs up

Well got the car back from a different dealership than the one I bought the car from and had the previous service done on it. They did a good job. Got the door realigned from the tow guy using an air jack to pry the door open. All TSBs were done, now I have to call XM to reactivate the service since the software update zapped the presets and access to other channels. I haven't checked with OnStar system but will make sure my calling minutes and subscription were not erased by calling them ASAP. The battery is charged up but I still don't trust it and will have that replaced soon. Acura agreed to replace the drivers interior wood panel that was nicked up along with the weatherstripping and the exterior driver and passenger black pillar door fascia. The parts are on order and should be here on Tuesday or Wednesday. The key lock was realigned and is now working. The service advisor said that the lock assembly that was put in at the other dealership and was just dangling inside the door. No wonder it didn't work. They also fixed the passenger side rear view mirror returning to the original position when moving the transmission from park to drive. This dealership seems competent and quick for my first visit. I think I'll give them the shot for all of my future business, though I will be very cautious, clear and direct. Everyone get those TSBs done so you don't have to experience what I went through. If only the door lock worked at the beginning of this crap, I would have charged upl the battery and had it serviced. Everyone have a nice long safe weekend.