Acura is responding

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2005, 07:09 PM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Acura is responding

I have in the past complainted about the poor services from my Acura dealer and lack of timely/adequate responses from Acura Client Service. I am happy to report that it has since been improved greatly. Since my case was taken over by the general service manager, nothing materially changed, but the attitude and the response have been very positive. The general manager even called me a week after we met to make sure everything is still OK. Acura CS also called today to just double check that I was happy with the dealer's response.
Old 01-27-2005, 09:36 AM
office monkey

Cool man, good to hear this.

Guess they figured it is wise to give some service to a person who bought their flagship.
Old 01-27-2005, 11:09 AM
has been here awhile

Originally Posted by Rob L

Guess they figured it is wise to give some service to a person who bought their flagship.
This is true...we work with the General Service Manager at Acura of Portland, and I can't say enough good things. Since the beginning we've received EXCELLENT service, but here recently, since the remodel, they go above and beyond. They had never been bad, they just needed some work to get to a "luxury" level. I think with the atmosphere being decidingly upscale, there had been some reforms for customer service. The experience truely is luxurious now.

Now, we know our rep on a more personal level. During Christmas break, the RL went in to get a scheduled service done, and since the appointment was made last minute, we were not able to get a loaner car. However, our service rep (the general service manager) called up Enterprise, and told them to bring four cars for us to choose from: a Nissan Altima, Ford Escape, Ford Explorer, or a brand new Hemi Dodge Durango. When we came back to pick up the RL, the service rep apologized again about the vehicle situation, but hoped that we made do with the choices.

Here recently, the electrochromic mirror has been "dying". The elements seem to be dying, slowly but surely, creeping across the entire mirror. We called our service rep and told her we'd need our mirror replaced and that we needed to order and pay for the part, and then set up the appointment to get it installed. She said don't worry about the cost ($400 or so) that all we needed to pick up was the $50 service charge. She said this has rarely happened on RLs, so it was on them.

I'd say the service at my dealer is on par with Lexus...it's just phenomenal.
Old 01-27-2005, 03:17 PM
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by SPUDMTN
This is true...we work with the General Service Manager at Acura of Portland, and I can't say enough good things. Since the beginning we've received EXCELLENT service, but here recently, since the remodel, they go above and beyond. They had never been bad, they just needed some work to get to a "luxury" level. I think with the atmosphere being decidingly upscale, there had been some reforms for customer service. The experience truely is luxurious now.

Now, we know our rep on a more personal level. During Christmas break, the RL went in to get a scheduled service done, and since the appointment was made last minute, we were not able to get a loaner car. However, our service rep (the general service manager) called up Enterprise, and told them to bring four cars for us to choose from: a Nissan Altima, Ford Escape, Ford Explorer, or a brand new Hemi Dodge Durango. When we came back to pick up the RL, the service rep apologized again about the vehicle situation, but hoped that we made do with the choices.

Here recently, the electrochromic mirror has been "dying". The elements seem to be dying, slowly but surely, creeping across the entire mirror. We called our service rep and told her we'd need our mirror replaced and that we needed to order and pay for the part, and then set up the appointment to get it installed. She said don't worry about the cost ($400 or so) that all we needed to pick up was the $50 service charge. She said this has rarely happened on RLs, so it was on them.

I'd say the service at my dealer is on par with Lexus...it's just phenomenal.
Your Acura service department provides a loaner car???
Old 01-27-2005, 03:32 PM
Racer

Received 148 Likes on 72 Posts
Originally Posted by dseag2
I always get a loaner car when I bring in for service if I can't wait for it. Last week I got a TSX that was fun to drive.
Old 01-27-2005, 05:55 PM
has been here awhile

Oh yes...and they don't care what we're in for--we can request a loaner car when we get the oil changed, even...just need to call in advance a week or two (but isn't that normal?)
Old 01-27-2005, 10:13 PM
Racer

My dealership has yet to come through with the loaner car. It was a sales pitch, but in the first weeks of ownership I had to bring in the car to issues in two separate times. I was told both times that a loaner car needs to be reserved. I complained that a sudden problem with a new car dosn't give the owner the time to reserve a loaner. I suggested that the dealership should reserve some of its loaner cars for owners who needed emergency services. The general service manager was attentive, but I don't know if he will actually make this happen.
Old 01-28-2005, 12:03 AM
has been here awhile

Originally Posted by AcuraRLBlue
My dealership has yet to come through with the loaner car. It was a sales pitch, but in the first weeks of ownership I had to bring in the car to issues in two separate times. I was told both times that a loaner car needs to be reserved. I complained that a sudden problem with a new car dosn't give the owner the time to reserve a loaner. I suggested that the dealership should reserve some of its loaner cars for owners who needed emergency services. The general service manager was attentive, but I don't know if he will actually make this happen.
I know that this car isn't terribly expensive, but they almost need to have a few RL loaner cars on reserve for RL owners specifically...that's what Volkswagen does with its Phaeton and Touareg.
Old 01-28-2005, 04:36 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,329 Likes on 1,309 Posts
I've only encountered one Acura dealer that DIDN'T provide one.
Old 01-28-2005, 08:16 AM
Racer

Received 148 Likes on 72 Posts
I also had to bring in my car last year on a emergency service and they got me a rental car within 30 minutes.
Old 01-28-2005, 10:10 AM
has been here awhile

Originally Posted by Ken1997TL
I've only encountered one Acura dealer that DIDN'T provide one.
Just out of curiosity, which dealer do you primarily use for service? Do you go to Kendall Acura in Eugene? Or one of the dealers up here in Portland?
Old 01-28-2005, 10:59 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,329 Likes on 1,309 Posts
Originally Posted by SPUDMTN
Just out of curiosity, which dealer do you primarily use for service? Do you go to Kendall Acura in Eugene? Or one of the dealers up here in Portland?
Acura of Salem when in Oregon. Occasionally Kendall Acura.

Radley Acura when in the Washington DC area.
Old 01-28-2005, 12:14 PM
Pro

Thanks for the input, everyone. I guess I just never thought to ask. I aways get a loaner car when I take my Infiniti in, and Lexus always gave me one as well, but I didn't think it was part of Acura's service.

I owned a '99 TL a few years ago and was never offered a loaner during that time, but I sold it in 12/00 and didn't have any experience with Acura until my '04 TL purchased in 5/04. My '04 TL wasn't around long enough for an oil change, so I just haven't had the opportunity to check out the loaner situation. It sounds like Acura has really stepped up over the past few years. Good to know.
Old 01-28-2005, 12:24 PM
Racer

I brought my Lexus in today, and inquired about staying there to waiting for the repair. The dealer was more interested in me taking the loaner.

Off topic: The loaner was a ES, and the interior trim was very similar to the 05 RL.
Old 01-28-2005, 12:58 PM
has been here awhile

I brought my Lexus in today, and inquired about staying there to waiting for the repair. The dealer was more interested in me taking the loaner.

Off topic: The loaner was a ES, and the interior trim was very similar to the 05 RL.
Yeah...Lexus is pretty big with loaner cars...our dealer has all ES330s and RX330s...a massive fleet of them...
Old 01-28-2005, 04:34 PM
I love cars!

Originally Posted by Rob L

Firstly, the NSX is Acura's flagship, though that takes nothing away from the fact that the RL is great. Did I miss the origin of this post? What was the problem?
Old 01-28-2005, 04:43 PM
Team Owner

Received 378 Likes on 198 Posts

This is actually a great tactic that I wish Acura would enforce from its dealers. By allowing people to drive the other models, it allows people to take a car out for a day or longer that they might recommend to their friends. It's good marketing.
Old 01-28-2005, 05:49 PM
Pro

Received 109 Likes on 70 Posts
Actually, We purchased the RL opposed to the current MB E500 or BMW 5 series. A loaner is something that I inquired and interviwed all local dealers about in Houston, I was told that this is now standard for all Acura dealers and that they are attempting to make this one of those required deliverables. Though we only plan to keep this car until May. It could become my daily driver if it performs well enough. My wife likes the service so far, but we will know if she ever has to take it in for service because she will be the first to rate the service and let me know she wants "OUT" of the car if it is not meeting her "Standards".
Old 01-28-2005, 09:25 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by Hou-RL
Actually, We purchased the RL opposed to the current MB E500 or BMW 5 series. A loaner is something that I inquired and interviwed all local dealers about in Houston, I was told that this is now standard for all Acura dealers and that they are attempting to make this one of those required deliverables. Though we only plan to keep this car until May. It could become my daily driver if it performs well enough. My wife likes the service so far, but we will know if she ever has to take it in for service because she will be the first to rate the service and let me know she wants "OUT" of the car if it is not meeting her "Standards".
If you don't mind me asking, why only keeping a new car for a new months?
Old 01-28-2005, 09:31 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by fast-tl
Firstly, the NSX is Acura's flagship, though that takes nothing away from the fact that the RL is great. Did I miss the origin of this post? What was the problem?
NSX is not Acura's flapship car in the sense that the dealers don't sell more than a few hundreds of them a year in the US (I was told by the dealer).

The original post had to do with my thinking that Acura is trying to respond to market demand to provide a higher level of services to its customers. Since loaners are so routine for Lexus dealerships, Acura should provide this service as a routine and provided it well (instead of just a sales pitch).
Old 01-29-2005, 10:06 AM
4th Gear

You did't buy it here so no loaner for you!

My first Approach to the Priceton Acura dealer in NJ was poor. I call to sched service a week out for first oil change and minor maint. and the service guy says No Loaner for you we reserve them for customers who purchased from us.

I got the car from another dealer because they had the car and Presision Acura did not. I am disapointed that Acura does not educate the service people to the vallue of a service customer. My thinking is they make a lot more on service than on sales!

I will go out of my way to go back to where I got the car where they were exceptional.

It's a shame that service person has that power. I don't think you should have to go over someones head to get good service!
Old 01-29-2005, 11:19 AM
I love cars!

NSX is not Acura's flapship car in the sense that the dealers don't sell more than a few hundreds of them a year in the US (I was told by the dealer).

The original post had to do with my thinking that Acura is trying to respond to market demand to provide a higher level of services to its customers. Since loaners are so routine for Lexus dealerships, Acura should provide this service as a routine and provided it well (instead of just a sales pitch).
Flagship refers to top of the line product offering, not most popular. Corvette is Chevrolet's flagship, The S-Class would be Mercedes, the Q45 would be Infiniti's, etc. That's one reason why the NSX is much more expensive. See below.
From m-w.com:
Main Entry: flag·ship
Pronunciation: 'flag-"ship
Function: noun
1 : the ship that carries the commander of a fleet or subdivision of a fleet and flies his flag
2 : the finest, largest, or most important one of a series, network, or chain

But I do agree that as a luxury division, loaner's should be de rigeur.
Old 01-29-2005, 05:22 PM
Pro

If you don't mind me asking, why only keeping a new car for a new months?

AcuraRLBue,

I didn't want to purchase the current MB E500 or BMW 5 series since both are about to be sunset. The new engines for both of those vehicles will begin in March not to mention the changes in options also. Since I could not convince her to purchase the BMW 7or 6 series or MB S class, I chose to wait for the new revisions. Basically this purchase was to satisfy myself and not her. I was really curious about what this vehicle offered and this just happened to be the perfect time. BTW,, I totalled her BMW on 12/25 at 12:25 AM on an icy road in Houston. Everyone knows that we cant drive in snow or ice in Texas. I guess I was hoping Santa would get me home. Nonetheless, I have to keep her out of my cars (You have to understand my wife and then you would know why). Honestly, I haven't had time to drive this vehicle in traffic and my wife hasn't offered it to me. I think she is liking it, but has reminded me that it does not drive like a BMW. I reminded her that it is an Acura and will respond like the manufacturer created it to respond. Overall, I intend to sell it if I dont like it, but I really hope that I do and they begin to give the German cars a dent in the pocket book. The Germans have become just a little to full of themselves and definately have forgotten how to engineer vehicles without numerous electrical or computer issues (Exluding Porsche).
Old 01-29-2005, 06:22 PM
Drifting

Flagship refers to top of the line product offering, not most popular. Corvette is Chevrolet's flagship, The S-Class would be Mercedes, the Q45 would be Infiniti's, etc. That's one reason why the NSX is much more expensive. See below.
From m-w.com:
Main Entry: flag·ship
Pronunciation: 'flag-"ship
Function: noun
1 : the ship that carries the commander of a fleet or subdivision of a fleet and flies his flag
2 : the finest, largest, or most important one of a series, network, or chain

But I do agree that as a luxury division, loaner's should be de rigeur.
If you're going by the highest priced car as a flagship then the S-class isn't MB's flagship.
Old 01-29-2005, 09:44 PM
I love cars!

Well, price is one consideration, but I said the top of the line product offering when I was defining what the term flagship means. Technically Maybach is a brand unto itself though produced by DaimlerChysler.
Old 01-29-2005, 11:08 PM
Racer

AcuraRLBue,

I didn't want to purchase the current MB E500 or BMW 5 series since both are about to be sunset. The new engines for both of those vehicles will begin in March not to mention the changes in options also. Since I could not convince her to purchase the BMW 7or 6 series or MB S class, I chose to wait for the new revisions. Basically this purchase was to satisfy myself and not her. I was really curious about what this vehicle offered and this just happened to be the perfect time. BTW,, I totalled her BMW on 12/25 at 12:25 AM on an icy road in Houston. Everyone knows that we cant drive in snow or ice in Texas. I guess I was hoping Santa would get me home. Nonetheless, I have to keep her out of my cars (You have to understand my wife and then you would know why). Honestly, I haven't had time to drive this vehicle in traffic and my wife hasn't offered it to me. I think she is liking it, but has reminded me that it does not drive like a BMW. I reminded her that it is an Acura and will respond like the manufacturer created it to respond. Overall, I intend to sell it if I dont like it, but I really hope that I do and they begin to give the German cars a dent in the pocket book. The Germans have become just a little to full of themselves and definately have forgotten how to engineer vehicles without numerous electrical or computer issues (Exluding Porsche).
Thanks. Your description of your wife reminded me of mine. She keeps reminding me that my RL is not like her Lexus SC430, but she is using my RL for the snow. I have to remind her that the RL is a sedan, and it does feel more responsive than the SC.

I hope you decide to keep the RL but if you don't, I hope you sell it for a good price.
Old 01-29-2005, 11:10 PM
Racer

Flagship or not, the RL is the most expensive car Acura has to offer that is expect to sell at a volume. In any case, I am sure we are not arguing about the expectation that Acura should be treating the RL owners the same as owners of similar cars in the Lexus and Infiniti lines.

I just received two Roadside Assistance cards from Acura with a accompanying description of the services offer. It is the first time that this program is adequately explained. It is a nice touch.
Old 01-30-2005, 01:11 AM
Drifting

Well, price is one consideration, but I said the top of the line product offering when I was defining what the term flagship means. Technically Maybach is a brand unto itself though produced by DaimlerChysler.
Nope I wasn't hinting about Maybach, you're forgeting that Mercedes has the $450K SLR Mclaren.
Old 01-30-2005, 11:46 AM
Pro

AcuraRLBue,

Before you trade the RL on an ES500 or BMW 5 Series, maybe you should test drive the new M45. Great reviews coming out on that car. That is, of course, if you decide not to hold onto the RL.
Old 01-30-2005, 07:24 PM
Pro

Cant do that, It is my wifes car and she could care less. I had to convince her to drive this. Once se did, she realized that it was a great buy for the moner, no a' la carte for equipment.