AC Problem

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2007, 04:30 PM
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How can you go after a class action on something they fix but takes longer than you want due to vendor problems?
I personally think this is wrong.
Old 09-18-2007, 04:48 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by kirbyflorida
How can you go after a class action on something they fix but takes longer than you want due to vendor problems?
I personally think this is wrong.
Yes, it is wrong. The issue here is that Acura is not making any concession to fix this KNOWN defect out of warranty. The A/C problem with the 2005 RL's is well known, and has been for about two years. Acura acts like it's the first time they have seen/heard of the issue.

The dealers, Acura Service Center, and Acura Corporate don't have any information about it enough though this one board contains countless people who have experienced the same problem.

I am not a big fan of class actions, but if this is what it takes to force a company to address the known defect out of warranty, then so be it. In fact, Green Welling LLP wants me to send them my paperwork for an eval, so let's see what happens.
Old 09-18-2007, 05:20 PM
Pro

Class action suits just get money for lawyers, minimal for everyone else.
Honda will not fix it unless it breaks, I have been buying Hondas for over 20 years, that is how they work IMO.
I have gotten good will from them many years past warranty, just don't buy the first year out of any new model from ANY car company if you want less problems.
Old 09-18-2007, 06:10 PM
Advanced

It's not my problem that there are many issues with the first years version. Folks here had previously mentioned that TSB's usually only pertain to safely issues, and that Honda/Acura would only repair/replace other items no matter how often they break.

The problem I have is not so much that they will repair the item(s), but I will not pay money out of pocket for something that is clearly a KNOWN defect and that is so widespread. Acura flat out told me that they could/would no guarantee that I wouldn't have to pay if my A/C breaks again out of warranty.

I'm looking at some 2007's now, and assuming I can get a decent trade for my '05, I will pull the trigger. My mind is more than made up after careful research and planning. There are many otehr "issues" with the 2005's and any search here on Acurazine will pull them up. Here is another:
http://nugateway.com/zerothread?id=1570

Hopefully I will have better luck with a 2007.
Old 09-18-2007, 06:26 PM
Pro

You will be more than happy with the 07, get the A spec suspension, you will love it with the smooth roads you have, if you like crisp handling, it is amazing.
Old 09-19-2007, 03:53 PM
2012 Cadillac CTS-V Coupe

Received 95 Likes on 66 Posts
Originally Posted by nmariani
It's not my problem that there are many issues with the first years version. Folks here had previously mentioned that TSB's usually only pertain to safely issues, and that Honda/Acura would only repair/replace other items no matter how often they break.

Hopefully I will have better luck with a 2007.
You're probably referring to a post of mine, but I think you quoted me wrong.

Recalls are usually safety issues. TSBs are any known problem and doesn't have to be safety related.

With that said, I doubt they would recall them, but I'm sure there is a TSB out there that outlines the technical issue.

In other words

TSBs = a known or chronic issue
Safety recall = usually starts out as a TSB, but is escalated to a recall if it is a safety issue.
Old 09-19-2007, 06:22 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by GoHawks
You're probably referring to a post of mine, but I think you quoted me wrong.

Recalls are usually safety issues. TSBs are any known problem and doesn't have to be safety related.

With that said, I doubt they would recall them, but I'm sure there is a TSB out there that outlines the technical issue.

In other words

TSBs = a known or chronic issue
Safety recall = usually starts out as a TSB, but is escalated to a recall if it is a safety issue.
According to alldata.com and other references I have checked there is no TSB for the AC issue.
Old 09-19-2007, 06:33 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by briny319
According to alldata.com and other references I have checked there is no TSB for the AC issue.
Yes, I know there is no TSB on this very chronic, widespread issue. What's even more fustrating is that any dealer you call with likely tell you they are not aware of the problem, and even Acura's own HQ's in Torrence will tell you the same thing.

Sadly, I think the only way to resolve this is to send all docs to a class action attorney, which I have already done. I am waiting for an analyst to review my case and do some research into it. I'll keep you posted with their findings.
Old 09-19-2007, 06:49 PM
Black

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by SpicyMikey
Yep, another great invention. Can't imagine why anyone would choose not to use it. "Climate Control Full Automatic....." The only way to drive.
Thanks for the tip on using the brainless automatic function.

HOWEVER, doing this (at ~92-98 degrees in Atlanta) blew hot air. Not warm, hot.

The only solution was, as others have noted, going with recirc (which for some reason forced the system to blow cold air as desired).
Old 09-22-2007, 08:46 PM
10th Gear

Just to summarize

I posted early on in this thread, but just to summarize...I have a 2005RL I bought new....my lease is coming due in 4 weeks....I have really enjoyed the car, with the exception of...you guessed it....the A/C!!...The car has just not cooled properly since I've had it....it was seldom "terrible", but that is not good enough...many times it seemed like the temp setting was just not accurate, it got too warm in the cabin.....all of a sudden it would cool down to the right temp.....at 49000 miles they replaced the blower....recently, when the a/c stopped working at all at 58000 miles they replaced the compressor....it was done under "goodwill"....no charge.. and yet....it still doesn't work properly..............cool weather is right around the corner here in NJ...just in time for me to turn my car in.......
Old 09-22-2007, 09:38 PM
CLS 6MT Navi

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts
I guess I'm ignorant about leasing. A leased car has to be repaired at the lessee's cost after the manu warranty is passed?
I figured all was covered under a lease.

Reliable A/C is critical here in TX. My CLS A/C has been great, as was my 88 Legend cpe. My 95 Legend cpe AC was poor.
Old 09-23-2007, 01:34 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by 123456SPEED
I guess I'm ignorant about leasing. A leased car has to be repaired at the lessee's cost after the manu warranty is passed?
I figured all was covered under a lease.

Reliable A/C is critical here in TX. My CLS A/C has been great, as was my 88 Legend cpe. My 95 Legend cpe AC was poor.
Yes a lease is no different then if you bought it. You still have to pay for repairs maintenence, etc.
Old 10-13-2007, 03:22 PM
Advanced

Well, I've had quite the time with Radley Acura in northern VA. Took it in Friday for the B6 maint and decided to take advantage of their $199 detailing. When I picked up the car, there was bird shit on the back window. I rolled my eyes, but said nothing

Then when I started the car, the Nav system was asking for a code and my memory button was off. Damn, they must have cut the battery connection for some reason. Also, the floor mats were nowhere to be found. So I go back to the office, and a rep comes out and shows me how to program the radio code. Also, he suspects the mats were left in the trunk - they were. So I reset the seat, steering wheel and mirrors and drive off. Half way home, I realise the passenger and rear windows no longer function, even if the lock is off. Back I go to to Radley. Call for the manager. Point out the bird shit. Point out the non-working windows. He call for a mechanic, and gets another gofer to get the detailing folks out to check out the bird shit.

I got some perverse satisfaction watching the manager clean the bird shit off the window. The mechanic played with the window switch, and told me he had to reprogram them, similar to re-programming the moonroof (been there, done that). OK, so I drive home. Mind you the detailing job was fair at best - all the windows needed extensive touchup from smears and fingerprints (maybe from the birds?), and the wood inside was covered with excess oil or whatever. They did a fair job on the seats and trim. The outside looked shiny.

So today, I'm driving along and notice the temp in the car is rising, so I check the A/C - nothing but warm air. Take the temp all the way down to Lo - still warm air. So back to Radley, and I'm thinking they fooked up big time when they cut the power. A service rep rather dryly stated that the A/C failure is a known issue with '05s and it's only a coincidence that it happened at this time. So I've got a loaner and will wait to see what happens.

Since I'm only in the 2nd year and have 38000 miles, I'm covered. But what a PITA!
Old 10-13-2007, 03:55 PM
Pro

Make sure you find a good dealer with a highly trained tech, maybe ask the forum who know a good tech in the area, worth the time and effort.
Old 10-13-2007, 04:41 PM
Safety Car

Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts
At Radley, Qatar swears by Jeremy the service writer and the tech Mani
Old 10-16-2007, 03:34 PM
Advanced

UPDATE: Radley called me Monday PM (yesterday) to tell me the car was ready to pick up. Wow, I thought I'd be waiting a week or more for parts. A/C working fine now. No charge as car still in warrenty.