4th RL, time for a new/newer Acura

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2024 | 06:18 AM
7th Gear

Question 4th RL, time for a new/newer Acura

Just had my 2007 RL in for diagnostics, and got a list of stuff, lots of it minor, a couple of semi-biggies like cat converter, engie mounts, and both control arm bushings (no play yet.) SO tempted to fix all and keep the car ... I love it! $12K to fix at DEALER prices, but I know I could do it all for half of that or less with my trusted mechanics. But, the interior ... need a new glove box cover (of course!), front seats redone (or A+ seat covers) ...277K miles on it, but I had an engine put it 4 years ago-ish, with 69K miles on it. Constant oil changes and good maintenance while I have owned it (7 years.) Looks GREAT, no accidents, no dents. A real beauty on the road and drives as smooth as butter.

Suggestions??? I love the new TLX but NOT the smaller engine, nope. The TLX’s that still had the 6 cylinder engine, well, I don’t like the look of those. And whatever I get, it absolutely MUST be white, and must have a 3.5/V6.

Thx!!!

Old 10-12-2024 | 08:09 AM
Racer

Suggest an old smoker, until you get your RL renovated? Ancient Civic or something daft, yet fun?
The following users liked this post:
studiocphotos (Yesterday)
Old 10-12-2024 | 08:59 AM
8th Gear

Originally Posted by studiocphotos
Just had my 2007 RL in for diagnostics, and got a list of stuff, lots of it minor, a couple of semi-biggies like cat converter, engie mounts, and both control arm bushings (no play yet.) SO tempted to fix all and keep the car ... I love it! $12K to fix at DEALER prices, but I know I could do it all for half of that or less with my trusted mechanics. But, the interior ... need a new glove box cover (of course!), front seats redone (or A+ seat covers) ...277K miles on it, but I had an engine put it 4 years ago-ish, with 69K miles on it. Constant oil changes and good maintenance while I have owned it (7 years.) Looks GREAT, no accidents, no dents. A real beauty on the road and drives as smooth as butter.

Suggestions??? I love the new TLX but NOT the smaller engine, nope. The TLX’s that still had the 6 cylinder engine, well, I don’t like the look of those. And whatever I get, it absolutely MUST be white, and must have a 3.5/V6.

Thx!!!
I suggest you part out that RL and use the money you woulda have spent for a newer RL with lower miles. You can get a 11/12 for under $10K. Parting out the old car would probably net you way more than market value of the whole car.
Old Yesterday | 03:53 AM
Racer

My daughter has an "07 with 210K on it that I gave her, and I have been tempted to take it back and renovate it. Car is solid and drives well, and I do a lot of work on it. However, as soon as I get it all cleaned up, I'm afraid the engine or tranny will go.

How about and RLX Hybrid? They are scarce but a terrific car!
Old Yesterday | 06:07 AM
7th Gear

Yes, I worry about the tranny most of all ... the engine was replaced about 4-5 years ago. It was used, but at least it doesn’t reflect the 277K miles on the car. I dunno ... someone suggested I part out the car and make $$$ on parts ... not a bad idea at all, but I would feel like I was mutilating and killing it, lol. This car is truly amazing. RLs were totally underestimated..
Old Yesterday | 10:09 AM
Advanced

12k is a lot of money to put into a 18 year old car with 277k miles. If you can do it for 6k I would.
Old Yesterday | 10:32 AM
7th Gear

That’s the thing ... I know I can! $5K - $7K max is what my mechanic said. VERY tempted. But the jury is still out.

Also, the engine was replaced with a used one about 4 years ago. So it is not as old as the 277K miles. Tranny is, though.
Old Yesterday | 10:35 AM
7th Gear

Sounds fun, yes, but as a Realtor, I have to drive a nice car, lol. A beater won’t cut it.
Old Yesterday | 11:31 AM
KB1
Advanced

You could part it out .. I was thinking the same until my 2005 got hit with 280+ kilometers. Insurance paid me out 10k canadian. I'm happy I didn't part it out .. upgraded to the KB2.
Old Yesterday | 02:43 PM
Advanced

Engine mounts are not bad if you have tools and know how to work on cars. Get OEM mounts though. Aftermarket ones are too stiff and will send a lot of vibration into the cabin for a year or two until they break in. I’ve got an 05 that I put a 60K motor into right before Covid and since my company went full remote since then, I’ve put maybe 5K miles on it. I put high flow cats on it from RV6 when I swapped the motor and put new mounts on the engine. All but one was from Acura. Anyways, I love this car too but the clear is peeling off the hood, the chrome is peeling off the grill and already peeled off the rear bumper corners, it needs to tpms sensors in all wheels, glove box and the keyless entry has gotten quite finicky. Can’t decide on keeping it or one day selling it and getting something newer to “daily”.

Last edited by sccrxer; Yesterday at 02:47 PM.